PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs NT Shaun Smith likely to sign...

ChiefMojo
03-09-2010, 09:25 PM
As most of you know Shaun Smith has been tied to the Chiefs as a NT of interest. Smith was in KC today for a visit and to do a physical. Barring a failed physical, the word is Smith will be a Kansas City Chief.

http://www.nfl.com/players/shaunsmith/profile?id=SMI711660

Do you guys think we will hold on to Big Ron Edwards or do you see the pending signing of Smith as the end of Edwards? One would assume we are likely to draft a NT this year as well.

SAUTO
03-09-2010, 09:26 PM
i wouldnt think that edwards would be gone. why not keep him? we still would need bodies, smith, edwards, draft pick.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefMojo
03-09-2010, 09:30 PM
That makes sense. Just didn't know if we would hold onto 3 NT's, but then again that likely means to the end of Lokey (forgot he was still on roster). Draft pick/Smith/Edwards might not be a horrible NT rotation in the end (depends on who we Draft).

Nightfyre
03-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Im going to go ahead and predict this signing alone saves us 25-50 yards a game.

Ebolapox
03-09-2010, 09:35 PM
good.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Well...

...I don't really know what to think about this. Is it THAT much of an improvement?

...he went to high school in Wichita. That's...neat.

KC kid
03-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Why is he such a big name for so little production?

okiedokieokoye
03-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Just looking at his stats...looks like he has never played a full 16 game season. Great.

dirk digler
03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I didn't realize he was the one that got in a fight with Brady Quinn.

ChiefsCountry
03-09-2010, 09:41 PM
DeBerg should be loving this guy, he was an UFL alum.

ChiefMojo
03-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I think he is just a guy that the front office and coaching staff is comfortable with. He gives us depth along with Edwards. One would assume our Draft pick is the player we hope is our starter or very early in that players career at least.

I forgot he was originally from Wichita (Heights HS). His name does now ring a bell and I'm sure coming back home has to go for something?

aturnis
03-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Why is he such a big name for so little production?

I don't think he id a big name. Just a big guy who's

a.) never been given a chance.
b.) never made a real impact.

The Bad Guy
03-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Even if we sign this lunatic, we have to draft someone. Suge Knight is awful.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Good rotation guy, certainly a 'rosterable' player.

Him, Edwards and Cody w/ 2a would be a very fine NT rotation.

The Franchise
03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I wonder how pissed he would be if we signed him and then traded for Quinn.

ChiefMojo
03-09-2010, 10:13 PM
In 2007 he had over 60 tackles and something like 2 or 3 sacks. He's only played NT 2 out of his 7 seasons in the league. The Bengals and Saints both run a 4-3 which doesn't suit him. He's better suited playing in a 3-4. His top 2 seasons (Browns) were his 2 seasons playing in the 3-4 and he was playing for Romeo.

He's only 28 years old and has true NT size at 325-pounds. He'll be an upgrade over Edwards for sure.

58kcfan89
03-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Well...

...I don't really know what to think about this. Is it THAT much of an improvement?

...he went to high school in Wichita. That's...neat.

I actually went to the same high school as him (granted, it was about 9 years later, but whatever). Assuming we draft another NT, I like the move.

Nightfyre
03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
just by adding a true NT we gained a lot. Plus Romeo knows his NTs. Hence, my previous prediction. I still think we should draft Linval Joseph and give him a year or two of spelling Smith to come into his own. I think hes a 6'4" Wilfork waiting to happen.

RustShack
03-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I wonder how pissed he would be if we signed him and then traded for Quinn.

Not as pissed as Quinn.

BigChiefFan
03-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Competition is always a good thing. I like the move.

footballispriority
03-09-2010, 10:37 PM
If this deal is done, he IMO would be the starter day 1, hands down.

petegz28
03-09-2010, 10:38 PM
This is better than the Peterson\Edwards philosophy of signing a guy who has never played the position we want him too. IF anything having a true 3-4 NT will help the others on the team who are not so familiar with the position.

footballispriority
03-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Even with this signing, doesnt mean its not going to be addressed in the draft either, hes just a temporary solution for now.

58kcfan89
03-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Even with this signing, doesnt mean its not going to be addressed in the draft either, hes just a temporary solution for now.

Just because he's a temporary solution doesn't mean that they won't draft a NT. Smith shouldn't be a full-time starter, but will likely be a great guy to have as a rotational player (although he probably could/would have started last year).

ChiefMojo
03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Looks like Smith has a Arrowhead/Chiefs logo on his Twitter page now. I think it is a safe assumption he is a Chief.

I have to admit, looking over who we have re-signed and have signed, Pioli is actually doing a pretty good job! I would expect any other FA signings to be of the Offensive Line nature.

aturnis
03-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Looks like Smith has a Arrowhead/Chiefs logo on his Twitter page now. I think it is a safe assumption he is a Chief.

I have to admit, looking over who we have re-signed and have signed, Pioli is actually doing a pretty good job! I would expect any other FA signings to be of the Offensive Line nature.

What's his twitter page? How on earth did you find it?

KCrockaholic
03-10-2010, 12:21 AM
I like this. If we have Smith it adds decent depth to our NT position which we have none of. Edwards is not a frickin NT. I just hope we still target a NT in the draft. Cody is my top choice considering Williams won't be available.

aturnis
03-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Alright, FINALLY found it. http://twitter.com/sjs91 It's confirmed, he does have a KC arrowhead. Good shit. Welcome to the team Shaun.

KCrockaholic
03-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Cool. Good to see we have him signed. Lets keep rolling KC. Nice moves today.

Blick
03-10-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't know if this guy is an upgrade over Edwards. He didn't land with a team until week 15 last year. He got cut by fucking Detroit before the season started and had to play in the UFL with the Las Vegas Locomotives. Looking at their roster on Wikipedia, it's a star-studded group featuring some familiar faces like David Kircus, Samie Parker, Jeremy Parquet, and good ol' Gary Stills. I shit you not. But hey, the "Locos" did win the UFL Championship, so I guess that's cool.

In his glory days in Cleveland, the Browns were 27th in the league in run D in '07 (one spot better than us), and 28th in run D in '08...fucking awesome.

We better get a legit fucking nose tackle in the draft. If we think this guy and Edwards are going to cut it this year, then I'm going to be pissed.

aturnis
03-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Well, I guess I don't know that he has actually signed. He does have the arrowhead, he did graduate from a are highschool, he did play for Crennel, and he is being offered a chance to become a starter. I think he'd be dumb not to.

KCrockaholic
03-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Well, I guess I don't know that he has actually signed. He does have the arrowhead, he did graduate from a are highschool, he did play for Crennel, and he is being offered a chance to become a starter. I think he'd be dumb not to.

Not what I was hoping for. :shake:

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Just a warm body. Fortunately, he has tree connections or Pioli would probably order him shot if he came within 500 yards of the Arrowhead gates.

DaneMcCloud
03-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Shaun White would have had more impact

Mr. Flopnuts
03-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Meh, depth move at best.

Fire Me Boy!
03-10-2010, 05:33 AM
He's only 28 years old and has true NT size at 325-pounds. He'll be an upgrade over Edwards for sure.
It's important to note that under the Todd Haley plan, he'll need to report under 300 in order to play.

:shake:

Quesadilla Joe
03-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Browns DL Shaun Smith is reportedly already wearing out his welcome with the Browns new coaching staff.
Coaches told Smith to "shape up and shut up" at a recent meeting. Smith's mouth has been an issue in the past, and he was already losing popularity with teammates after last year's fight with Brady Quinn.

Browns TE Darnell Dinkins confirmed Monday that Shaun Smith did strike Brady Quinn in the face during a weight-room altercation last week.

Dinkins said Quinn had a mark on his face after the fight and coach Romeo Crennel was "very upset," ultimately benching Smith for Week 16. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Smith punched Quinn after Smith was "jawing" at him in the weight room. Smith has been accused of not playing hard late in the season and the incident can't help his standing with the club

Bengals signed DT Shaun Smith off waivers from the Saints.
He was released after sneaking into the pressbox before last week's game to eat

Saints released DT Shaun Smith a day after he was caught eating in the Atlanta press room before a Saints game.
That's a new one.

The Bengals opted not to extend an offer to restricted free agent DT Shaun Smith.
Smith was signed for depth late in the season when Domata Peko was out. Armed with a bad attitude, he may have a tough time landing a job this offseason.

Bengals waived DT Shaun Smith and signed CB Rico Murray off their practice squad.
We're not exactly sure what happened here as Smith was just signed on Wednesday. We don't want to speculate, but character issues have followed Smith virtually everywhere he has gone.

The Bengals are expected to sign DT Shaun Smith on Tuesday.
Never underestimate the Bengals' utter disregard for character. With Domata Peko (knee) out two weeks, Cincy saw a hole that needed filling. They filled it with a player who has had confrontations with his quarterback, position coach, and GM over the past 12 months while also serving a four-game suspension for steroids. Can we get a "Who Dey!"?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFl&id=2681

beach tribe
03-10-2010, 07:05 AM
I have a good feeling about this. I really do. Dude played pretty good in the 3-4. The 4-3..meh. But damn, we've got a true Fkn NT on the roster.

beach tribe
03-10-2010, 07:09 AM
It's important to note that under the Todd Haley plan, he'll need to report under 300 in order to play.

:shake:

I guarantee he doesn't miss a down for being over 320.

Rausch
03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a good feeling about this. I really do. Dude played pretty good in the 3-4. The 4-3..meh. But damn, we've got a true Fkn NT on the roster.

Just what we need: a 320 lb LJ...

OnTheWarpath15
03-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Just a warm body. Fortunately, he has tree connections or Pioli would probably order him shot if he came within 500 yards of the Arrowhead gates.

Funny how "The Right 53" goes out the window when it's one of their guys.

This guy has a list of character concerns a mile long.

I bet he's cut before camp.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:

Quote:
Saints released DT Shaun Smith a day after he was caught eating in the Atlanta press room before a Saints game.
That's a new one.

Nachos by chance?

beach tribe
03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Just what we need: a 320 lb LJ...

I wasn't aware that this guy was such a punk until reading some things this morning.
I just remembered him playing in the 3-4, and looking pretty damn good a cpl yrs back.
Either way, we need NTs. I still have a feeling he's gonna be part of the rotation.

beach tribe
03-10-2010, 07:25 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFl&id=2681

BwaaHaaaa. This dude is a hand full. I wasn't aware of all this. Geez.

DumbHillbillies
03-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:

Quote:
That's a new one.

Nachos by chance?

Damn, that's kinda of harsh. I mean he is a NT, the fattest thing on the field. If he went into the pressbox during the game I could understand.ROFL

RustShack
03-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I like this. If we have Smith it adds decent depth to our NT position which we have none of. Edwards is not a frickin NT. I just hope we still target a NT in the draft. Cody is my top choice considering Williams won't be available.

Uhh.. Actually NT is Edwards best position.. hes a solid depth guy, and Cody likely wont be there either unless your talking about the first round.

I don't know if this guy is an upgrade over Edwards. He didn't land with a team until week 15 last year. He got cut by fucking Detroit before the season started and had to play in the UFL with the Las Vegas Locomotives. Looking at their roster on Wikipedia, it's a star-studded group featuring some familiar faces like David Kircus, Samie Parker, Jeremy Parquet, and good ol' Gary Stills. I shit you not. But hey, the "Locos" did win the UFL Championship, so I guess that's cool.

In his glory days in Cleveland, the Browns were 27th in the league in run D in '07 (one spot better than us), and 28th in run D in '08...fucking awesome.

We better get a legit fucking nose tackle in the draft. If we think this guy and Edwards are going to cut it this year, then I'm going to be pissed.

You don't realize that not all players fit all schemes do you? This guy is a 3-4 NT. This best two years in the league by far were his two years in the 3-4 defense and also under Crennel. Hes a big upgrade over Edwards, and will keep the seat warm until our rookie we draft is ready to take over even then he will be a better backup than Edwards still.

Rausch
03-10-2010, 07:51 AM
This guy is a 3-4 NT. This best two years in the league by far were his two years in the 3-4 defense and also under Crennel. Hes a big upgrade over Edwards, and will keep the seat warm until our rookie we draft is ready to take over even then he will be a better backup than Edwards still.

Likely low risk for us (and if he punches Cassel in the face, after last season, i'm down with that.)

Huge character issues = no leverage = signing for peanuts.

He works, great.

He doesn't, shouldn't cost us much...

milkman
03-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Finally, we got someone that can hit the QB!

Rausch
03-10-2010, 08:26 AM

WINNAHR!1!

LMAO

SenselessChiefsFan
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Not what I was hoping for. :shake:

When signing a free agent at a position of need, when the team clearly has no incumbent productive starter, they ALL have a chance of becoming a starter.

Hey, if he starts, is he better than what we had there last year? Maybe. I think Ron Edwards was better than some give him credit for. Not great, and certainly room for improvement, but not attrocious either. But, this kid probably gives the Chiefs a better NT option.

loochy
03-10-2010, 08:30 AM
To the dinghy!!!eleventy!!!

milkman
03-10-2010, 08:41 AM
When signing a free agent at a position of need, when the team clearly has no incumbent productive starter, they ALL have a chance of becoming a starter.

Hey, if he starts, is he better than what we had there last year? Maybe. I think Ron Edwards was better than some give him credit for. Not great, and certainly room for improvement, but not attrocious either. But, this kid probably gives the Chiefs a better NT option.

I agree.

Ron Edwards lacks consistency, but that's due, in part, because he is over used because we lack depth.

Getting someone to spell him more frequently will allow him to produce more consistently.

Edwards isn't a great player, but a more rested Edwards can be more effective than we've seen.

Jerm
03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm sure this guy and Haley will get along just fine lol....

Fun times ahead.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
03-10-2010, 09:55 AM
as long as he signs cheap so we can cut him if he screws around or we draft somebody good.

:shrug:

boogblaster
03-10-2010, 10:32 AM
We really need a young proven NT .. who is the question ....

RustShack
03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
your stupid if you think our onnly upgrades should be probowlers
Posted via Mobile Device

HypnotizedMonkey
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
hits brady quinn in the weight room.. sneaks into the press box to eat before a game. sounds perfect for the right 53... i have a feeling Haley could get knocked out on the sideline this season. ROFL

ModSocks
03-10-2010, 11:06 AM
i have a feeling Haley could get knocked out on the sideline this season. ROFL

I was about to post the same thing. Haley better be on the lookout, he might get cheap shot-ed.

Fish
03-10-2010, 11:08 AM
hits brady quinn in the weight room.. sneaks into the press box to eat before a game. sounds perfect for the right 53... i have a feeling Haley could get knocked out on the sideline this season. ROFL

Hell, it would totally be worth a few million Chiefs dollars just for that possibility.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-10-2010, 11:10 AM

LMAO I found this picture of Shaun with an unidentified Chiefs personnel guy after his physical.

http://www.gessford.com/work/images/mayor-Kool-Aid-Man-03416.JPG

Micjones
03-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Good signing. Still fairly young, has played some good 3-4 football and helps a DT rotation that leaves much to be desired.

We still need an NT come April. Cody...Troup...Thomas...

58kcfan89
03-10-2010, 11:15 AM
http://kcondemand.com/Article.aspx?Id=13783&CatID=12

Looks like his agent has confirmed that Smith is on the way to KC, but nothing is official yet...

EDIT: Just checked Twitter: "It's a officiical am a Kansas city chief"

The Franchise
03-10-2010, 11:16 AM
LMAO I found this picture of Shaun with an unidentified Chiefs personnel guy after his physical.

http://www.gessford.com/work/images/mayor-Kool-Aid-Man-03416.JPG

Where'd you find a picture of Barry in his work clothes?

58kcfan89
03-10-2010, 11:53 AM
His agent says it's a one-year deal.

http://kcondemand.com/Article.aspx?Id=13783&CatID=12

doomy3
03-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Good signing. Smith is certainly an upgrade at NT over Edwards. Now, hopefully we can find one in the draft that can anchor the defense for a long time.

jAZ
03-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Good signing. Smith is certainly an upgrade at NT over Edwards. Now, hopefully we can find one in the draft that can anchor the defense for a long time.
http://www.topnews.in/health/files/fat-heart.jpg

beach tribe
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
This kid has a better motor.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/aubsmell/crazy_fat_kid.gif

Hammock Parties
09-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Drafturbators, owned.

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Drafturbators, owned.
To be fair, Smith's best impact here has been at DE.

RustShack
09-28-2010, 11:26 PM

Because Jackson got hurt, otherwise he would be getting reps ad NT also.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Drafturbators, owned.

How can I be a "Drafturbator" when I loved this draft?

Furthermore, what does it say when Smith, who last played in the UFL, is a better 5-Tech than Tyson Jackson?

Please explain.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Nah, I was wrong about Smith. That said, there wasn't a single person on here who thought he would have the impact he's had thus far.

CrazyPhuD
09-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey I'm happy with the signing as long as he keeps sacking up and playing his balls off. If he starts taking plays off then play someone new.

Titty Meat
09-29-2010, 01:02 AM
How can I be a "Drafturbator" when I loved this draft?

Furthermore, what does it say when Smith, who last played in the UFL, is a better 5-Tech than Tyson Jackson?

Please explain.

Jackson has been hurt but played great vs San Diego dude.

mikey23545
09-29-2010, 01:29 AM

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6751/spinningphotos2.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/spinningphotos2.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

DaneMcCloud
09-29-2010, 01:35 AM
Jackson has been hurt but played great vs San Diego dude.

Yeah, he was so great that the Chiefs haven't missed him.

Imagine this defense without Hali.

Then get back to me.

Swazey
09-29-2010, 04:01 AM
Does the gooch-snatcher S. Smith really have a better upside than Tyson Jackson? Tyson, arguably, had his best game as a Chief during the Browns. Smith is a sleazeball. Tyson and Shaun are both mediocre, but lets see what Tyson can build on... seeing that he doesn't need to pet opponent nuts...

unlurking
09-29-2010, 04:26 AM
Nah, I was wrong about Smith. That said, there wasn't a single person on here who thought he would have the impact he's had thus far.
I can't imagine there is anybody out there NOT surprised by the impact someone on this team is having. The whole squad (coaching included and minus Cassel) seems to be playing at a much higher level than anyone expected.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Even if we sign this lunatic, we have to draft someone. Suge Knight is awful.

LMAO

In which area of the opponent's body?

BwaaHaaaa. This dude is a hand full. I wasn't aware of all this. Geez.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL You said it, Chief.

RustShack
09-29-2010, 09:50 AM

I did. I said he would play at a Pro Bowl level.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-29-2010, 09:51 AM
I did. I said he would play at a Pro Ball level.

Fxd!

stevieray
09-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Funny how "The Right 53" goes out the window when it's one of their guys.

This guy has a list of character concerns a mile long.

I bet he's cut before camp.

:D

Rausch
09-29-2010, 10:14 AM

I'd argue that he should start at this point.