PDA

View Full Version : Football Snap: Derek Anderson slams Cleveland Fans

T-post Tom
03-09-2010, 10:46 PM
OUCH!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816d8379&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Anderson upset by release, says Browns fans don't deserve winner

NFL.com Wire Reports

Derek Anderson's uneven five-year stint with the Cleveland Browns is over, but he had a parting shot for the team's fans.

The Browns released the one-time Pro Bowl quarterback Tuesday, one day after they acquired backup Seneca Wallace in a trade with the Seattle Seahawks, and Anderson responded by ripping Cleveland fans.

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson wrote in an e-mail to The News-Herald, a suburban Cleveland newspaper. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured (in 2008, a sprained medial collateral ligament).

"I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and (we) roll them."

Anderson made the Pro Bowl in 2007, when he threw 29 touchdown passes and led the Browns to a 10-6 record. However, his promising career has been in a tailspin ever since. He lost his starting job to Brady Quinn at the start of last season, got it back, lost it again, returned to the starting lineup when Quinn was hurt and won Cleveland's last two games.

Anderson, 26, spent five seasons with the Browns, who claimed him off waivers from the Baltimore Ravens in 2005. Anderson was due a $2 million roster bonus March 19, and his salary was set for $7.45 million in 2010 -- financial burdens that heavily factored into the Browns' decision to dump him.

"I want to thank Derek for everything that he gave to the Cleveland Browns organization over the last five years," coach Eric Mangini said in a statement released by the team. "He did everything we asked of him, and it was a pleasure to coach such a competitive person. I want to wish him all the best in the future."

Anderson threw for 3,787 yards in 2007, and 17 of his 29 TD passes went to wide receiver Braylon Edwards, whom the Browns traded to the New York Jets last season. Blessed with one of the NFL's strongest arms, Anderson was never able to duplicate the success that he attained in '07.

In seven starts last season, Anderson completed just 81 of 182 passes (45 percent) for 888 yards and three TDs with 10 interceptions. On a windy Oct. 11 afternoon in Buffalo, Anderson went just 2-of-17 passing for 23 yards, but the Browns managed to eek out a 6-3 victory over the Bills.

Anderson's passer rating was an abysmal 42.1 last season, and the Browns went 3-4 with him in the starting lineup. But despite his struggles and constant criticism from Cleveland fans who preferred Quinn, Anderson never complained and remained one of the team's leaders.

After Quinn sustained a season-ending foot injury on Dec. 20, Anderson started and helped Cleveland win its final two games. The team finished the season with a four-game winning streak -- a spurt that likely saved Mangini's job.

It's still unclear what direction the Browns will go at quarterback. Quinn hasn't lived up to expectations, and Wallace, who worked with new Browns president Mike Holmgren with the Seahawks, might not be ready to start. Holmgren said last week that the team was actively looking for a quarterback, but he didn't specify if that meant in free agency or via trade.

The Browns also have 11 picks in April's draft, and it's possible they could use one to groom a starter.

pkane
03-09-2010, 10:54 PM
There was no way they were going to keep him with the money he was due. He signed a huge contract after a unexpected, good year and then he underachieved for 2 seasons. To bad for him, if his new team does play Cle. he will just be holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

Deberg_1990
03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson wrote in an e-mail to The News-Herald, a suburban Cleveland newspaper. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured (in 2008, a sprained medial collateral ligament).

"I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and (we) roll them."

Dear Derek,

If you perform, the fans will cheer. If you suck, they will boo. It doesnt matter what city you play for.

Mr. Arrowhead
03-09-2010, 11:01 PM
well if they cheered when he got injured, then they deserve those comments.

jAZ
03-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Sounds like he'd be perfect for the Raiders.

pr_capone
03-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Ya know... I would not be terribly offended if KC brought him in for a look-see.

Kyle DeLexus
03-09-2010, 11:11 PM
There was no way they were going to keep him with the money he was due. He signed a huge contract after a unexpected, good year and then he underachieved for 2 seasons. To bad for him, if his new team does play Cle. he will just be holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

Why am I thinking Matthew Cassel when I read this?

Sure-Oz
He can be our new girlbac and say KC BBQ sucks

Tribal Warfare
He can be our new girlbac and say KC BBQ sucks

That was Bono

Sure-Oz
03-09-2010, 11:12 PM
That was Bono

It's really hard to keep track of all the shitty QB's we've had

DBOSHO
03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Ya know... I would not be terribly offended if KC brought him in for a look-see.

No thanks. Call it what you want, but the guy was TERRIBLE last year.

pr_capone
03-09-2010, 11:30 PM
No thanks. Call it what you want, but the guy was TERRIBLE last year.

I agree.

He played like shit in 08 and was injured to finish the season. In 09 he didn't have Winslow Jr as a target. He only had Edwards for 6 quarters.

That said, he did make it to a Pro Bowl. I realize he was throwing to Winslow Jr & Edwards but there is talent there.

I'm not saying he should compete to start but it would be nice to have an option at QB2.

DeezNutz
03-09-2010, 11:37 PM

FML.

DaneMcCloud
03-10-2010, 01:03 AM

I think it's pretty easy: ALL of them

T-post Tom
03-10-2010, 01:09 AM
I think it's pretty easy: ALL of them

Ha. I didn't mind Montana, Gannon and Green. Deburg was fun and maybe more "shitfaced" than shitty. But yeah, we've had our share of stinkers.

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2010, 01:14 AM
A minimum of 2,945,831 Cleveland Browns fans no longer give a shit, Derek.

DaneMcCloud
03-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Ha. I didn't mind Montana, Gannon and Green. Deburg was fun and maybe more "shitfaced" than shitty. But yeah, we've had our share of stinkers.

The only QB in Chiefs history that didn't suck overall was Lenny.

Fuller was cut, only to win a Super Bowl ring with Chicago.

Blackledge was taken before Marino, thus effectively castrating all male and female offspring of the Hunt Family. This effectively removed the idea of ever taking a first round QB.

EVER.

Gannon was decent but Marty couldn't see it because his philosophy was rooted in the Stone Age.

Green was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery.

Hence, decades of suckage.

T-post Tom
03-10-2010, 01:55 AM

Blackledge was taken before Marino, thus effectively castrating all male and female offspring of the Hunt Family. This effectively removed the idea of ever taking a first round QB.

EVER.

Gannon was decent but Marty couldn't see it because his philosophy was rooted in the Stone Age.

Green was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery.

In Green's defense, he was infected with the narcolepsy virus through no fault of his own. That was only due to Rodney Harrison's blatant disregard for others.

BigMeatballDave
03-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Are you fucking high? He's worse than Cassel.Ya know... I would not be terribly offended if KC brought him in for a look-see.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
03-10-2010, 08:26 AM
LMAOIt's really hard to keep track of all the shitty QB's we've had
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
03-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Are you ****ing high? He's worse than Cassel.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not ready to say that.

milkman
03-10-2010, 08:48 AM

Anderson didn't underachieve for two years, he overachieved for that one year, and the Browns were fucking stupid to sign him to that contract.

gblowfish
03-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Let's hope someday he has to start a game in Cleveland....
far fetched as that may be.

Frosty
03-10-2010, 09:13 AM
As an Oregon State grad, I have been watching DA for a long time, all the way through his college career and as much as possible in Cleveland. He has a world class arm and can make throws that make your jaw drop. He also gets in a lot of trouble trying to squeeze the ball into receivers that aren't really open which is why he gets picked a lot.

He is also not very mobile and will start looking at the rush and rushing his throws if his protection is shoddy.

During his Pro Bowl year, he had great protection, a decent running game and he put up big numbers. The next year, his running game disappeared, the line had a lot of injuries so wasn't as good, they lost their most reliable receiver in Joe Jurevicius and the rest of the receivers got the dropsies. DA struggled and so did the Golden Boy, Quinn, when he finally went in.

Last year, it was pretty much the same problems, along with a new staff that played musical chairs with the QB's.

If DA goes somewhere that has a decent line and decent receivers, he would go back to the form he showed his Pro Bowl year. Arizona is supposedly interested and that would be a great fit. As a fan of DA and of the Chiefs, I would love for him to be a Chief but I also know that he wouldn't do well there because of the poor o-line and so so receivers.

As much as it pains me to admit it, DA would be the perfect Raiders QB in Al's "bombs away" offense.

Dave Lane
03-10-2010, 09:17 AM

EVER.

Well in Greens defense his mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

OnTheWarpath15
03-10-2010, 09:18 AM
As an Oregon State grad, I have been watching DA for a long time, all the way through his college career and as much as possible in Cleveland. He has a world class arm and can make throws that make your jaw drop. He also gets in a lot of trouble trying to squeeze the ball into receivers that aren't really open which is why he gets picked a lot.

He is also not very mobile and will start looking at the rush and rushing his throws if his protection is shoddy.

During his Pro Bowl year, he had great protection, a decent running game and he put up big numbers. The next year, his running game disappeared, the line had a lot of injuries so wasn't as good, they lost their most reliable receiver in Joe Jurevicius and the rest of the receivers got the dropsies. DA struggled and so did the Golden Boy, Quinn, when he finally went in.

Last year, it was pretty much the same problems, along with a new staff that played musical chairs with the QB's.

If DA goes somewhere that has a decent line and decent receivers, he would go back to the form he showed his Pro Bowl year. Arizona is supposedly interested and that would be a great fit. As a fan of DA and of the Chiefs, I would love for him to be a Chief but I also know that he wouldn't do well there because of the poor o-line and so so receivers.

As much as it pains me to admit it, DA would be the perfect Raiders QB in Al's "bombs away" offense.

Tell the 2006 Chiefs that.

Frosty
03-10-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm still in awe of that run.

Demonpenz
03-10-2010, 09:56 AM

Greg Wesley should have bombed DA into next year on a play I think it was close to the end so wo cares about a penalty there? Wesley was a hard hitter, that was his calling card, but instead he pulled up and let DA sneak for the first down without even breathing on him. HEY WESLEY THE ONLY THING YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD AT IS KILLING PEOPLE> KILL SOMEONE>

DJ's left nut
03-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Are you ****ing high? He's worse than Cassel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nah, he is Matt Cassel, but if Cassel could throw hard.

And didn't cost us a 2nd round pick.

!@#$...irritated again.

Quit saying things that remind me of the 2009 offseason. Dammit, somebody find me a kitten I can kick.