PDA

View Full Version : Life Bone spurs of the foot.

03-11-2010, 03:29 AM
Has anyone had this? What options did you take to remedy it?

This is exactly what I have been diagnosed with. The doctor has me placing medicated pads on the joint right now as well as new insoles for support but also mentioned a steroid injection directly into the joint or actual surgery if the medication is not enough.

I'm not doing anything until after my vacation this May but am curious if anyone else has gone through this and what it was like post treatment.

http://www.footankleinstitute.com/Hallux-Limitus.html

http://www.footankleinstitute.com/Images/precheilectomy.jpg

bevischief
03-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Much better after the first surgery. Expect to lose range of motion in the big toe. I still have some pain but I my right big toe was a lot worse than the picture. Above is about the left looks like and so far nothing to treat it beyond in soles and Aleve as needed. Do your home work on the insoles lots of choices beside what the doctor offers.

JOhn
03-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Dude, foot surgery SUCKS!!!!

Just had surgery on my right foot the 10th of Feb, and started back to work March 1st. Still stuck in a walking boot till the end of the month.

Now the good news, it was worth it, as I gained total relief from the pain I was having. Though mine was a little different, I had a Bunion fixed, then the joint fused because of the cartilage being destroyed along with a small spur.

The first 2 were taken at a slight angle, and 3rd well you can see. lol

They had to use a titanium plate & 6 screws

bevischief
03-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Dude, foot surgery SUCKS!!!!

Just had surgery on my right foot the 10th of Feb, and started back to work March 1st. Still stuck in a walking boot till the end of the month.

Now the good news, it was worth it, as I gained total relief from the pain I was having. Though mine was a little different, I had a Bunion fixed, then the joint fused because of the cartilage being destroyed along with a small spur.

The first 2 were taken at a slight angle, and 3rd well you can see. lol

They had to use a titanium plate & 6 screws

Basically the same thing but on top of the joint instead. Fusing the joint is my next step, still too young for a artificial joint.

JOhn
03-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Basically the same thing but on top of the joint instead. Fusing the joint is my next step, still too young for a artificial joint.

Yea the angle of the Xrays is kinda weird on mine, but that is on the top of the joint. Can't find the other xrays I had of it. But fusion was the only option on mine as when they got in there they found that there was nothing left in the joint, just bone on bone.

First 5-7 days really sucked, pain wise, for me. but after that it hasn't been to bad other than the 5 y/o keeps hitting it:eek:

bevischief
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Yea the angle of the Xrays is kinda weird on mine, but that is on the top of the joint. Can't find the other xrays I had of it. But fusion was the only option on mine as when they got in there they found that there was nothing left in the joint, just bone on bone.

First 5-7 days really sucked, pain wise, for me. but after that it hasn't been to bad other than the 5 y/o keeps hitting it:eek:

Do you have to do physical therapy after you recover?

03-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Fortunately mine is only a type I so I wouldn't need at screws. They would just shave it off and stitch me back up. How long was it before you were up and walking again? A day. A week?

ziggysocki
03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
How do you get bone spurs? Is this something caused from an incorrectly healed injury? Repetitive stress? Bad luck? Cause after looking at JOhn's frankenfoot my response is .... do not want.

03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
How do you get bone spurs? Is this something caused from an incorrectly healed injury? Repetitive stress? Bad luck? Cause after looking at JOhn's frankenfoot my response is .... do not want.Generally, repetitive stress.

bevischief
03-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Fortunately mine is only a type I so I wouldn't need at screws. They would just shave it off and stitch me back up. How long was it before you were up and walking again? A day. A week?

Sounds like you would be in a walking cast from day one unlike the rest of us.

bevischief
03-11-2010, 07:40 PM
How do you get bone spurs? Is this something caused from an incorrectly healed injury? Repetitive stress? Bad luck? Cause after looking at JOhn's frankenfoot my response is .... do not want.

Birth defect and too many years of soccer for lack of treatment before it got this bad. I was the one of best players on the team...

sodcat
03-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Orthotics and the occasional shots help mine, both feet. Got mine while in the military, and have had them now over 10 years. I'd get at least a second opinion before surgery.

03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Sounds like you would be in a walking cast from day one unlike the rest of us.Good. I do think I am only a type 1 based on the stuff I have been reading and what the doc told me Monday.

I'll probably just wait until after my trip in May/June and then see how it feels. A full week in Disney will probably over work it but I'm not doing any procedures before that trip.

DaneMcCloud
03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Good. I do think I am only a type 1 based on the stuff I have been reading and what the doc told me Monday.

I'll probably just wait until after my trip in May/June and then see how it feels. A full week in Disney will probably over work it but I'm not doing any procedures before that trip.

Make sure you purchase GREAT walking shoes or Dr. Scholl's insoles.

03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Make sure you purchase GREAT walking shoes or Dr. Scholl's insoles.Already have Dr. Scholl's work insoles. Better arch support. My podiatrist altered them with even more support. Takes a little of the stress off of that joint at least but does not solve the problem enough to let it go.

03-11-2010, 11:31 PM
The other problem this has created is a pain on the ball of my foot as well. Doc doesnt' think it is anything to worry about. Once this is fixed that should be fixed as well.

JOhn
03-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Do you have to do physical therapy after you recover?

No, as the joint is fused, there nothing to exercise.

JOhn
03-12-2010, 11:23 PM

The extensive nature of mine was more due to the bunion and the fact the joint was totally messed up

teedubya
03-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Frankenfoot. LMAO

DaneMcCloud
03-12-2010, 11:41 PM
It's better than bone spurs of the cock.

OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!

Mecca
03-12-2010, 11:43 PM
I had surgery for an ingrown toenail!

And now I have bone spurs of the ass bone!

JOhn
03-12-2010, 11:45 PM
I had surgery for an ingrown toenail!

And now I have bone spurs of the ass bone!

:spock:

I DO NOT need nor want to know how that is even possible. :shake:

03-12-2010, 11:47 PM
It's better than bone spurs of the cock.

OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!Thats what she said

Mecca
03-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm not being serious!

I wonder if you could give a woman a bone spur of the pelvis...

DaneMcCloud
03-12-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm not being serious!

I wonder if you could give a woman a bone spur of the pelvis...

All I know is that a bone spur of the uterus could do some serious damage

bevischief
03-13-2010, 07:28 AM
All I know is that a bone spur of the uterus could do some serious damage

Birth control...

Cntrygal
03-13-2010, 07:38 AM
My mom has one that is growing downward from her heel... I would imagine that she needs surgery, but yesterday the doc (clown?) told her to go to physical therapy for two weeks. Would there be reason to go to PT prior to having a spur removed?

Dave Lane
03-13-2010, 10:22 AM
So your foot is ready to be laid up for a couple weeks. I had a bone spur on my heel and just broke it loose with basically a hammer and it reabsorbed. Hurt like hell for a couple of days.

07-21-2010, 01:21 AM
So your foot is ready to be laid up for a couple weeks. I had a bone spur on my heel and just broke it loose with basically a hammer and it reabsorbed. Hurt like hell for a couple of days.Now that made me cringe.:(

Still struggling with this damn thing but I really don't want to go the surgery route. ugh.

Rausch
07-21-2010, 02:41 AM
I had a bone spur on my heel and just broke it loose with basically a hammer and it reabsorbed. Hurt like hell for a couple of days.

Holy fucking ouch.

+10 pts on the John Hirsch award scale for being a MAN...

morphius
07-21-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a couple of bone spurs, but not on my foot. I think my Doc's recommendation was something along the lines of, "suck it up and get out of namby pamby land; you crybaby."

boogblaster
07-21-2010, 10:18 AM
12 gauge pump

Frazod
07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I had one on the back of my left hand just above the wrist. There was also a cyst next to it - I had them both removed. Fairly minor, no side effects, healed quickly. Of course, I wasn't walking on my hand. :D

This won't get better on its own - just bite the bullet and deal with it, get it behind you.

Toadkiller
07-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a friggen tailors bunyon and sheesh does it hurt bad. I used to make fun of people complaining about bunions and now I am getting paid back. Most painful thing ever. As I type I have my foot in warm water/epsom salt and called in sick to work. The bunion was so swollen from rubbing in my shoe yesterday it started to bleed.