PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs showing interest in Anthony McCoy

The Poz
03-11-2010, 03:08 PM
USC TE Anthony McCoy is reportedly drawing "strong interest" from the Cowboys, Dolphins, Chiefs, Ravens, Seahawks and Bengals.
Projected to go off the board in the second round, McCoy is notable for his combination of blocking and receiving skills. For fantasy purposes, the Bengals and Chiefs would be best-case scenarios.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Anthony-McCoy-on-the-rise.html

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/TE/Anthony-McCoy.php

Fish
03-11-2010, 03:18 PM
"For fantasy purposes"?

LOL....

The Franchise
03-11-2010, 03:19 PM
FML......a TE in the 2nd round?

The Poz
03-11-2010, 03:23 PM
... yeah, we could really use that 2nd round pick on a guy with 3 career college TD's.

Saccopoo
03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Wow...

With all the talent at TE in this draft and trading away a pick in the last draft to get McConnell, using a second on McCoy would be a little odd to say the least.

Mecca
03-11-2010, 04:44 PM
... yeah, we could really use that 2nd round pick on a guy with 3 career college TD's.

Whoa now that is not the way to judge McCoy.

As someone who watched him consistently McCoy is one of the very few complete TE's you'll see these days.

Good blocker, solid receiver, has the size, isn't overly fast. McCoy is a solid solid player who'll play in the league for a long time. A TE that can block coming out of college has extra value now since most of them can't.

OnTheWarpath15
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Whoa now that is not the way to judge McCoy.

As someone who watched him consistently McCoy is one of the very few complete TE's you'll see these days.

Good blocker, solid receiver, has the size, isn't overly fast. McCoy is a solid solid player who'll play in the league for a long time. A TE that can block coming out of college has extra value now since most of them can't.

Agree on all counts.

However, if we take him in the 2nd round, with all the holes on this roster, Scott Pioli should be drawn and quartered in Lot G of Arrowhead.

Mecca
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Yea he's probably going to go in the 2nd, McCoy I think is a guy that is higher on NFL teams boards than he is on say the fans boards.

Mecca
03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
If you've never seen McCoy here ya go.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5jcyz-nSVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5jcyz-nSVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Blick
03-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I like him. If there is a run on receivers and we don't take one with our 2a, I wouldn't completely hate it if we took him with our 2b...but it would depend on who is available.

The Poz
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I'll eat some crow after seeing that vid. Looks like he can move the chains. If he can block half as good as he can catch maybe in the 3rd?

Titty Meat
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I like him. If there is a run on receivers and we don't take one with our 2a, I wouldn't completely hate it if we took him with our 2b...but it would depend on who is available.

Come on dude.

Mecca
03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I'll eat some crow after seeing that vid. Looks like he can move the chains. If he can block half as good as he can catch maybe in the 3rd?

Better blocker than he is receiver actually, he was recruited as more of a blocking TE and developed as a receiver over the years.

Mr. Laz
03-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Mecca defends a USC player ... i'm shocked
OTW defends mecca ... double shocked
people start backpedaling and sucking up ... trifecta of shockdom

ROFL

Mecca
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Uh I don't really think talking about what he is, is defending him.

McCoy is never going to be an elite receiving TE or stretch the seem. He's a solid player that will catch the ball, do good blocking work and do what he's asked but he lacks the top end speed.

He's a far more traditional TE type for what you usually see these days.

DeezNutz
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow. One post wasn't shocking.

Mecca
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Wow. One post wasn't shocking.

Laz talking about me, OTW and USC, stunning isn't it?

It would be nice if we could have a discussion where someone's personal dislike could be refrained.

Titty Meat
03-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Laz never bitches.

aturnis
03-11-2010, 05:48 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5jcyz-nSVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5jcyz-nSVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks solid to me. I didn't see him drop one pass! :D

ToxSocks
03-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to it. We need a TE, lets not pretend like we dont.

Would he start? check
Better than anything we've got? Check

Im for it. Not what I would do....but we could use a TE.

I don't believe in Cottam. I think he's an injury waiting to happen. Depending on Cottam to be our TE is like depending on Croyle to be our QB.

Saccopoo
03-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to it. We need a TE, lets not pretend like we dont.

Would he start? check
Better than anything we've got? Check

Im for it. Not what I would do....but we could use a TE.

I don't believe in Cottam. I think he's an injury waiting to happen. Depending on Cottam to be our TE is like depending on Croyle to be our QB.

In the second round? A blocking tight end? With the talent at that position in the draft? Holy shit. That's fucking insane.

the Talking Can
03-11-2010, 06:59 PM
jesus tits

a 2nd for a TE who strongest talent is blocking?

Mecca
03-11-2010, 07:18 PM
He's a little more than just a blocking TE but the fact that he can block sets him apart from a majority of TE's that can't.

He's a better blocker than receiver but that's because I'd describe him as the best blocker from the TE class, that doesn't change that he's a good reliable receiver also.

L.A. Chieffan
03-11-2010, 07:37 PM
fuck this
Posted via Mobile Device

Crush
03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Fuck that. Pioli should be shot in the middle of the village, of that occurs.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Poz
03-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Pioli and Haley don't give a rats ass what fans, "experts" or the mock drafts say. They want football players, plain and simple. If this guys is the player the video shows and they've been linked to having serious interest in him then don't be surprised if he's wearing a Chiefs jersey come day 2 of the NFL draft weekend.
This isn't my personal choice but hey, it's Pioli we're talking about and he calls the shots.

Chiefs=Champions
03-11-2010, 09:47 PM
He's a little more than just a blocking TE but the fact that he can block sets him apart from a majority of TE's that can't.

He's a better blocker than receiver but that's because I'd describe him as the best blocker from the TE class, that doesn't change that he's a good reliable receiver also.

Where do you think he should go? (like what pick)...

Mecca
03-11-2010, 09:51 PM
2nd round, somewhere around 50.

AustinChief
03-11-2010, 09:53 PM
2nd round, somewhere around 50.
Probably right, I don't want him at the #50 but would love him to slide to us in the 3rd round... not likely but solid value there.

Chiefs=Champions
03-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Would you be greatly opposed to taking him with our 2B pick? Although more than likely Pioli’s looking at him for 2A... :(

Mecca
03-11-2010, 09:55 PM
He could slide into the top of the 3rd, it's a very good TE year but I think NFL teams will have a higher value on him than say the net people like us would.

If Pettigrew can be a top 20 pick, McCoy could be considered a borderline 1st rounder.

chiefzilla1501
Not a huge problem with a TE in the 2nd, if he's as good as Mecca says. Weis likes to use his TEs a lot more than a lot of coordinators do. They're a really key piece to his offense.

Chiefs=Champions
Probably right, I don't want him at the #50 but would love him to slide to us in the 3rd round... not likely but solid value there.

Sounds good to me.. Though the way Meccas talking, teams more likely grade him as a high round 2 pick...

Mecca
03-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Would you be greatly opposed to taking him with our 2B pick? Although more than likely Pioli’s looking at him for 2A... :(

Depends who else is there, McCoy in the 2nd is a solid pick, basically uber safe, he'll play for a long time, he a good blocker, reliable receiver, think Daniel Graham with better hands.

Chiefs=Champions
03-11-2010, 09:59 PM
So atm im fully expecting our draft to fall:

Okung
McCoy
Thomas
Levi Brown

lol...

:huh:

Chiefs=Champions
03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Depends who else is there, McCoy in the 2nd is a solid pick, basically uber safe, he'll play for a long time, he a good blocker, reliable receiver, think Daniel Graham with better hands.

Interesting. Well id say ud have a better take on USC players than myself.. If your some what happy with taking him at 2B then no worries...

Mecca
03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Boy that would be blah..so you're expecting heavy offense?

Mecca
03-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Interesting. Well id say ud have a better take on USC players than myself.. If your some what happy with taking him at 2B then no worries...

Regardless of the Gronkowski love he has a ton of injury problems, I think behind Gresham McCoy is the 2nd best TE and most NFL ready since Gresham is an elite receiver and poor blocker.

McCoy will never be TG or get up the seam like Gresham does, but he can move the chains and be a very good seal blocker and all that.

Chiefs=Champions
03-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Boy that would be blah..so you're expecting heavy offense?

Im expecting heavy reaches and picks not reflecting the value of the draft lol.. Im hoping Clausen/Berry and then just taking the value picks. Hughes, Cody, etc...

kcmaxwell
03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
granted, it is a highlight video, but i like it... he catches the ball well in his hands, and seems tough to bring down... course it doesn't show any blocking...( cuz that aint sexy), if he lasts until 2b, take a shot.
maxwell

Chiefs=Champions
03-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Regardless of the Gronkowski love he has a ton of injury problems, I think behind Gresham McCoy is the 2nd best TE and most NFL ready since Gresham is an elite receiver and poor blocker.

McCoy will never be TG or get up the seam like Gresham does, but he can move the chains and be a very good seal blocker and all that.

Sure. It seems like the necessity for TEs to block is overlooked now days. Strangely.. If he’s there with the 2B pick and is the bpa then I say take him...

Mecca
03-11-2010, 10:15 PM
His receiving skills came with work, early in his career he was purely a blocker.

He basically has everything you look for but the speed.

Saccopoo
03-11-2010, 10:33 PM
You'd have to be on crack to take him in the second with the TE's available in this draft.

Release: Slower than many of USC's offensive linemen off the snap. Good use of hands and lateral agility to gain a clean release. Lacks the straight-line speed to challenge the seam, but has at least adequate short-area quickness to generate separation.

Hands: Best attribute as a receiver might be his soft hands which allow him to pluck the ball out of the air. Can extend outside of his frame or reach behind to make the tough grab. Able to make the contested reception with defenders draped over him.

Route running: Lumbers off the line of scrimmage, has marginal elusiveness in the open field and lacks the straight-line speed to challenge defenses down the seam. Size and choppy steps as a route-runner allow him to gain separation. Presents a huge target in the middle.

After the catch: Only marginal elusiveness after the catch. Slow and lacks agility to make defenders miss. Good vision following blocks, however, and is a strong runner that defenders have to want to tackle in order to bring him down. Delivers a good stiff arm and can surprise defenders with decent leaping ability.

Blocking: His most impressive skill. Provides a good initial pop as a run blocker and works to sustain his blocks. Long arms and stout frame make him a legitimate presence as a blocker in the running game. Takes his role as a blocker seriously and provides almost a second offensive tackle on some occasions. Hustles downfield to make the extra block. Good lateral agility and upper-body strength to hold up in pass protection.

Intangibles: Big, long-limbed athlete looks the part of an NFL tight end. Isn't a star in the making, but a complementary role player here and at the next level. Hasn't taken his academic requirements seriously. Has been suspended on multiple occasions for academic concerns, including prior to his senior season and before the Emerald Bowl, which ended his collegiate career prematurely.

NFL Comparison: Anthony Becht, ex-Jets/Steelers/Texans

Big, slow and dumb. Sounds like a great second round pick for the Chiefs. If Carl was still in charge.

Mecca
03-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa, dumb?

And his 40 was actually pretty solid.

Who do you think is better? It depends what kinda TE you want McCoy is the NFL ready type of TE who can play on the line.

Saccopoo
03-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa, dumb?

And his 40 was actually pretty solid.

Who do you think is better? It depends what kinda TE you want McCoy is the NFL ready type of TE who can play on the line.

Who would I prefer if we were picking a tight end? Pitta, Dickson and Hernandez all would offer a bit more upside over McCoy IMO.

It comes down to the scheme, but at least to me, it looked like Haley was trying to get his tight ends to operate out in the field more than utilizing them as in-line blockers. :shrug:

Blick
03-12-2010, 03:46 AM
McCoy has a similar body style to Antonio Gates, imo. He's a good blocker, and his receiving skills can be developed. He's polished as a pro style tight end, but he has upside as well.

Haley wasn't utilizing our TE's as blockers because they sucked cock...see Sean Ryan.

Mecca
03-12-2010, 03:57 AM
I don't like Pitta or Hernandez personally because they are both short with shortish arms so they are likely purely receiving TE's and in Hernandez case he just may be a flex out guy because he's so short.

Dickson is a decent player don't have to many gripes with him but he's going rounds after McCoy.

Basically McCoy is a pro style ready to go right now TE, that's a rarity in todays draft.

Fish
03-12-2010, 09:54 AM
He looks like Kris Wilson.....

ToxSocks
03-12-2010, 10:17 AM
In the second round? A blocking tight end? With the talent at that position in the draft? Holy shit. That's ****ing insane.

That's pretty funny coming from someone who would take Trent Williams at #5 overall. Considering how much you harp about fixing our blocking problems, one would think you'd be on board with drafting a blocking TE.

BigChiefFan
03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Good player, but if we take a TE, outside of Gresham with our 2nd round pick, I'll go ballistic.

Direckshun
03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
With the third, MAYBE.

MAYBE.

If basically nobody else I like is there.

Saccopoo
03-12-2010, 02:56 PM
That's pretty funny coming from someone who would take Trent Williams at #5 overall. Considering how much you harp about fixing our blocking problems, one would think you'd be on board with drafting a blocking TE.

Well, my concept is that if you have a decent offensive line, you don't need a dedicated blocking tight end to hold back and help out. You can use that position as an offensive receiving threat versus an extra blocker, thus why I'd prefer a guy like Pitta or Hernandez over a pure blocking tight end. Guys like Gates, Clark, Colston, Witten all are legitimate downfield threats that add depth and dimensionality to those offenses.

It really comes down to scheme and how a particular player works in that scheme. For the old "pro style" type of offenses, McCoy is a legitimate consideration. I would just like a tight end that offered a little more versatility in terms of contributing to an offense other than an extra tackle. And most teams carry one of each type anyway for just such a purpose.

And Pitta measured at exactly the same height as McCoy at the combine - 6' 4.4".

I'd rather have a guy that can get downfield and run routes like this than a pure in-line blocker (watch how far down the field he gets right off the snap - that's a mismatch waiting to happen; for a guy who always wants "playmakers" that as good as it gets from the tight end position):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ga1ln7L3qUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ga1ln7L3qUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He shredded a very good Oklahoma defense. Watch his route running in that game alone.

milkman
03-13-2010, 08:34 AM
If we take a TE before the fifth round in this draft after wasting two picks in last year's draft, I'll go fucking ballistic.

I don't give a fuck who that TE is.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-13-2010, 08:54 AM
In his highlight video he looks slow and clumsy. A defenite upgrade. I'd take him at 2b.

notorious
03-13-2010, 09:27 AM
He reminds me of Thannon Tharpe.

Only bigger and slower....... :) :) :) :)

Saccopoo
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
If we take a TE before the fifth round in this draft after wasting two picks in last year's draft, I'll go ****ing ballistic.

I don't give a **** who that TE is.

I concur. But this is the same problem that I have with taking a guy like Clausen this year. These guys should have had some inkling of the quality of tight ends coming out this year versus last year. Other than Pettigrew it was the little sisters and the poor compared to who was coming out this year, even without considering the junior class additions like Gronkowski and Hernandez.

A senior class of Gresham, Pitta, Dickson, McCoy, Graham (Jimmy and Garrett), Moeaki, Peek, Dickerson, et al. It's the best tight end class I've ever seen. And we blow a pick by trading up for O'Connell last year? WTF?!

The potential QB class next season is substantially better than this year, and while I realize that Clausen has familiarity in the Weis system, I don't think he's got the physical tools to be a true franchise level quarterback in the NFL in this day and age. However, you look at Locker, Mallet and Gabbert...sweet baby jesus.

It's like not taking Okung this year if the opportunity is there to do it...you are passing on a prototype for the LT position in the NFL hoping Albert gets it (in his third season), and if he doesn't, you are stuck with a choice between Joe Barksdale and Matt Reynolds as the top tackle in next year's draft. (And I think both are very good, but not in Okung's class.) And this year's tackle class does look better at this point than last years, which was highly touted.

You've got to have a little foresight into potential players in the next class.

milkman
03-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I concur. But this is the same problem that I have with taking a guy like Clausen this year. These guys should have had some inkling of the quality of tight ends coming out this year versus last year. Other than Pettigrew it was the little sisters and the poor compared to who was coming out this year, even without considering the junior class additions like Gronkowski and Hernandez.

A senior class of Gresham, Pitta, Dickson, McCoy, Graham (Jimmy and Garrett), Moeaki, Peek, Dickerson, et al. It's the best tight end class I've ever seen. And we blow a pick by trading up for O'Connell last year? WTF?!

The potential QB class next season is substantially better than this year, and while I realize that Clausen has familiarity in the Weis system, I don't think he's got the physical tools to be a true franchise level quarterback in the NFL in this day and age. However, you look at Locker, Mallet and Gabbert...sweet baby jesus.

It's like not taking Okung this year if the opportunity is there to do it...you are passing on a prototype for the LT position in the NFL hoping Albert gets it (in his third season), and if he doesn't, you are stuck with a choice between Joe Barksdale and Matt Reynolds as the top tackle in next year's draft. (And I think both are very good, but not in Okung's class.) And this year's tackle class does look better at this point than last years, which was highly touted.

You've got to have a little foresight into potential players in the next class.

Other than the point made about TEs, there isn't anything in this post I agree with, which makes me think I might want to re-evaluate my position on TE.

Saccopoo
03-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Other than the point made about TEs, there isn't anything in this post I agree with, which makes me think I might want to re-evaluate my position on TE.

Shocking.

Take two of these and reply in the morning.

I was pre-med my freshman year, so I know what I'm talking about.

http://www.vitacost.com/Store/images/images100/727413008255.JPG

bowener
03-13-2010, 07:01 PM

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5jcyz-nSVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Some of those moves look familiar to a TE who used to hang around arrowhead, especially the forearm shiver to a helmet.

edit:

The more broken tackles I see from him, the more interested I am in seeing him float around the middle of the field for the Chiefs next season.

Ralphy Boy
03-17-2010, 08:17 PM
If we take McCoy in the 2nd when we could have Clay Harbor in the 4th or 5th, I'll be pretty PO'd.

Harbor 6'3", 252 lbs with 150 career receptions & 1,906 yards & 10 TD's (59 for 729 with 4 TD's as a senior). Had 30 reps of 225, ran a 4.69 40 and had a 40 inch vertical.

McCoy 6'5", 259 lbs with 46 career receptions & 731 yards & 1 TD (22 for 457 with 1 TD as a senior). Had 19 reps of 225, ran a 4.79 40 and had a 35.5 inch vertical.

I realize that Harbor played in a less competitive conference but seriously, McCoy is nothing special.

According to CBS, Harbor is ranked 116 overall and McCoy 50.

Also, I realize many "experts" are projecting Harbor as an H-back type and because he's from a small school they aren't taking note, but the kid is a huge talent from a value standpoint.

I really don't get the H-back label since he compares pretty favorably to Ben Watson when he came out, both 6'3" 250, yes Watson was faster but Harbor had a lot more receptions & yards.

Watson 225 x 34, 20 yard shuttle 4.15, 35.5 vertical
Harbor 225 x 30, 20 yard shuttle 4.37, 40 vertical

Mecca
03-18-2010, 03:11 PM
A lot of it is the height, TE's need to be pushing 6'5 anymore or they're thought of as flex or Hback types.

Ralphy Boy
03-18-2010, 04:48 PM
A lot of it is the height, TE's need to be pushing 6'5 anymore or they're thought of as flex or Hback types.

Yeah I figured as much, but there are a lot that are 6'3" or under.
Manumaleuna, Desmond Clark, Ben Watson, Daniel Graham, Owen Daniels, Dallas Clark, Jake O'Connell, Kleinsasser, David Thomas, Dustin Keller, Vernon Davis, Randy McMichael, Alge Crumpler, Bo Scaife & Chris Cooley.

I realize that some of those are already considered H-backs, but most aren't.

Fasano, Winslow & Shiancoe and several others are only 6'4.

Bottom line is the guy is a hell of a receiver but because he comes from a piss ant school, he's getting less pub than he should. He was a beast at the combine and did pretty well at the post season games, so he's rising.

I just really hope we get him. I know the Rams are pretty high on him.

Mecca
03-18-2010, 06:12 PM
You have to remember, most of the guys you just listed...are either outstanding receivers, I mean in the mold that they run and catch like WR's and can split out or often do it, or they are so god damn big they are just blockers.

DaneMcCloud
03-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Mecca defends a USC player ... i'm shocked
OTW defends mecca ... double shocked
people start backpedaling and sucking up ... trifecta of shockdom

ROFL

Without these people (and myself), you've got 40,000 less posts