PDA

View Full Version : SI: Pro Day Tracker

Tribal Warfare
03-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Pro Day Tracker (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/11/pro.days.draft.news.tracker/)
Latest developing news, analysis as prospects prepare for 2010 NFL Draft on April 22-24

With pro days in full swing (full schedule) around the country, SI.com's Tony Pauline will check in every day with news and notes about the prospects' performances.
Thursday, March 11, 6:27 p.m.

• UAB receiver Joe Webb, who turned heads at the Senior Bowl in January, further impressed scouts today during his pro-day workout.

Webb started the day weighing 223 pounds, then completed 21 reps on the bench press. He posted a vertical jump of 42.5 inches then a broad jump of 11 feet, 5� inches. Webb's 40 times were surprisingly fast, clocking under 4.5, with some watches reading 4.43. His three-cone time of 6.55 and short-shuttle mark of 3.91 represent some of the fastest marks of any receiver who participated in the combine. Webb has now entered the conversation as a top 100 pick with the combination of receiver skills he displayed at the Senior Bowl and athleticism shown at his pro day.

• In Lincoln, scouts came by the dozens to watch Ndamukong Suh, who stood on his combine numbers and only participated in position drills today.

Safety Larry Asante helped himself by knocking almost a full tenth off his 40 time from the combine. Asante, who was struggling with a hamstring injury in Indianapolis, clocked 4.55 today and has now solidified himself as a mid-round choice.
Thursday, March 11, 2:40 p.m.

• Bad weather in South Carolina hampered the Clemson pro day as the position drills had to be cut short due to a driving rain. Many of Clemson's top NFL prospects, including C.J. Spiller, Jacoby Ford and Ricky Sapp, did not run the 40, preferring to stand on their solid times at the combine.

• In Oregon, safety T.J. Ward and running back LeGarrette Blount will not participate in today's workouts. Both will perform scouts next Thursday, March 18, when the Ducks hold their second session.

• Jameson Konz of Kent State, the former linebacker who moved to tight end in 2009, thrilled scouts with his performance today. Konz, who measured 6-foot-3, 235 pounds, ran his 40s as fast as 4.38 seconds and posted a vertical jump of 46 inches. There is some debate as to what position Konz will play at the next level, linebacker or tight end, but several in the scouting community think the athletic prospect is a late-round sleeper, much like his former teammate Julian Edelman.

• Southern Illinois record-setting running back Deji Karim also put on a show on scouts today. He weighed 209, 10 pounds heavier than expected. Karim then ran the 40 in times that ranged from 4.37 to 4.40. His vertical jump was also impressive, at 43 inches. Karim had 1,694 yards rushing last season, averaging 7.1 yards per carry. He's getting late-round consideration by a number of teams looking for a change of pace runner.
Thursday, March 11, 12:50 p.m.

Today is a big day on the pro-day schedule as NFL scouts and coaches will be spread out to watch prospects at Clemson, Nebraska, Boston College, Northwestern as well as another half-dozen universities.

Corey Wootton, who did not work out at the combine, will not take part in Northwestern's pro day. He will wait until late March before performing in front of scouts.
Thursday, March 11, 11 a.m.

Pro days have been going strong for more than a week and thus far it has been the players that were snubbed by the combine who have stood out. To wit:

• On Monday, Utah safety Robert Johnson, who most believe is a middle-round choice, posted numbers comparable to the top defensive backs at the combine. His three-cone time of 6.56 was outstanding, as was his short shuttle run.

• Tuesday saw Oklahoma fullback Matt Clapp solidified himself as a late-round choice. The 249-pound lead blocker posted 40 times in the 4.6 range, then turned in a terrific pass-catching workout.

• Wednesday, it was Alex Daniels turn to shine.

The Cincinnati defensive lineman turned in a monster workout, running times in the low 4.5 area after measuring 6-foot-2, 265 pounds. Daniels other marks included a vertical jump of 36.5 inches, 31 reps on the bench press and a three cone time of 7.08 seconds. He is drawing comparisons to former Bearcat Connor Barwin, selected in the second round of the 2009 draft by the Houston Texans.

Ironically, like Barwin, scouts have mixed opinions on where to play Daniels at the next level. Like his former teammate a year ago, Daniels completed drills at defensive line, linebacker and tight end.

Saccopoo
03-11-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm a little disappointed in the Chiefs in terms of their scouting. They were not present at the University of Utah's pro day even though the Utes have a number of players that are potential NFL level players in Zane Beadles, Robert Johnson, Stevenson Sylvester, Koa Misi and David Reed.

One would have figured that the purported new scouting department would have been a bit more attentive and following through with due diligence in terms of attending such a pro day.

KCrockaholic
03-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the link... I've been wondering what sites have a decent pro day tracker. SI isn't perfect but it gives the info.

Dave Lane
03-12-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm a little disappointed in the Chiefs in terms of their scouting. They were not present at the University of Utah's pro day even though the Utes have a number of players that are potential NFL level players in Zane Beadles, Robert Johnson, Stevenson Sylvester, Koa Misi and David Reed.

One would have figured that the purported new scouting department would have been a bit more attentive and following through with due diligence in terms of attending such a pro day.

You do know the scouting services distribute all this information to the teams? Probably not anyone high on their radar there.

BigCatDaddy
03-12-2010, 09:27 AM
If Matt Clapp can show some touch thrwoing the ball he might be a good late round pickup for us.

Saccopoo
03-12-2010, 02:05 PM
You do know the scouting services distribute all this information to the teams? Probably not anyone high on their radar there.

That's what I find as odd. Both Misi and Beadles would seem to be good fits for this team in what they do scheme wise, and both Johnson and Reed would be solid later round picks for a team lacking depth at safety and wide receiver.

There were a lot of teams with that "Parcells" family concept at the Utah Pro Day, including the Patriots and Browns and the like. From what I gather, they didn't attend the BYU pro day either, but teams like the Steelers, Ravens and Packers were there. Just a little surprised that the Chiefs were not considering that they were purported to have overhauled their scouting department and considering the holes on this team I would think that they should be looking at about everyone at this juncture.

I wonder if it's just a question of continuing to build the scouting department in a new administration. I know that they were at the Oklahoma pro day, the Northwest Missouri pro day (presumably to look at SS Myles Burnside), the Alabama pro day. I wonder if it's just a situation where they are in the initial stages and have a more regional approach to the scouting department at this point.

Saccopoo
03-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Unless of course Haley and Pioli are pulling an Al Davis and don't send any scouts to pro days for guys that he's interested in drafting.

Crazy like a fox I say.