PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Minsky's Pizza

luv
03-13-2010, 12:14 PM
We have a Minsky's in Springfield now. Tried to talk a friend into going there to eat with me, but they were busy. Looks like I'm going to order something to go pick up, as their delivery area does reach as far south as I am. Any suggestions? What's good? Keep in mind I don't like olives, but I can always get a combination without. Someone suggested the Papa Minsky. Reading the description on the website, it sounds good. Anything thing else?

Fire Me Boy!
03-13-2010, 12:15 PM
We have a Minsky's in Springfield now. Tried to talk a friend into going there to eat with me, but they were busy. Looks like I'm going to order something to go pick up, as their delivery area does reach as far south as I am. Any suggestions? What's good? Keep in mind I don't like olives, but I can always get a combination without. Someone suggested the Papa Minsky. Reading the description on the website, it sounds good. Anything thing else?

Just get any pizza you like, they're all good.

I'm a huge fan of their calzones.

Hammock Parties
03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
SHAME ON YOU

Munson
03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
The Papa Minsky's is excellent. I also recommend the buffalo chicken. Their pizzas are a little expensive, but you get what you pay. :thumb:

DJ's left nut
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Can't go wrong with a Minsky's calzone.

I was a fan of pepperoni, italian sausage and pineapple in a calzone. The little bit of sweetness combined with the spice from the pepperoni and sausage is awesome.

gblowfish
03-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Minsky's is my favorite in KC. Not greasy, excellent quality.
My favorite in Missouri is Shakespeare's in Columbia, MO.
Fun House makes a good pizza in Independence too.

ChiefJustice
03-13-2010, 12:21 PM
My first job was as a delivery driver for Minsky's in Blue Springs.

The best Minsky's was on 50th and Main....the deep dish with canandian bacon and shrooms was the best.

I hope the quality travels well to Springfield.

Fish
03-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Papa Minsky's is great. I love roasted red peppers.

The Prime Cut is also very good. It's basically all meat.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Even as a Columbia guy, I have no problem saying that Shakespeare's can't hold Minskey's jock.

My favorite one was the one in the Northland, tucked in where Zona Rosa is now.

luv
03-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Can't go wrong with a Minsky's calzone.

I was a fan of pepperoni, italian sausage and pineapple in a calzone. The little bit of sweetness combined with the spice from the pepperoni and sausage is awesome.

Not a fan of fruit on my pizza/in my calzone, or that would sound good.

kc rush
03-13-2010, 12:36 PM
The Papa Minsky and their white pizza are our favorites.

Minsky's and Papa Kino's are the best in KC imo.

luv
03-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Even the Five Chhese Medley sounds excellent. I hate making decisions...lol.

Does it reheat well? I may order a calzone and salad for lunch, and go ahead and pick up a pizza for dinner tonight/lunch tomorrow.

Fish
03-13-2010, 12:41 PM
It actually reheats very well. They have quality ingredients, so it tastes pretty damn good after reheating. Reheat it in the oven instead of the microwave, and it will be even better.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Even the Five Chhese Medley sounds excellent. I hate making decisions...lol.

Does it reheat well? I may order a calzone and salad for lunch, and go ahead and pick up a pizza for dinner tonight/lunch tomorrow.

Oh yeah.

10 minutes in a toaster oven at 375 and it's damn near as good as new.

Man, now I really want some Minskey's.

SLAG
03-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Papa Minsky is great-

I love the Philly since it has the cream cheese, we usually add cream cheeze to whatever kind of pizza/calzone we order

and try the honey wheat crust - its excellent

petegz28
03-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Papa Minsky's! Best pizza EVAH!

patteeu
03-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Papa Minsky is my favorite as well. My wife likes the one with white sauce and artichoke hearts.

Saccopoo
03-13-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't eat pizza from "retaurants." You never know what special ingredient was used in the "secret sauce" that night. I'm kidding. But only very slightly. I just don't like going out and having to pay for mediocrity. I make my own.

luv
03-13-2010, 01:05 PM
For some reason, we're getting all these pizza chains in Springfield. I think we're the only city in MO that has a Wheat State Pizza. It's alright, but definitely nothing worth bragging about. I haven't had Minsky's In the KC area, so I've only got Wheat State, Arris, and major chains to compare it to. If it beats Arris, then I know it's good.

luv
03-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't eat pizza from "retaurants." You never know what special ingredient was used in the "secret sauce" that night. I'm kidding. But only very slightly. I just don't like going out and having to pay for mediocrity. I make my own.

Is there meat under the cheese? Looks good minus the olives.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-13-2010, 01:08 PM
You know who has fucking awesome pizza in SW MO? The Pizza Cellar in Rockaway Beach.

Saccopoo
03-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Is there meat under the cheese? Looks good minus the olives.

You're damn right there is. Italian sausage and prosciutto.

ChiefJustice
03-13-2010, 01:10 PM
As long as they translate Minsky's the KC way....it will be the best pizza in Springfield.

Hands down.

patteeu
03-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Minsky's is my second favorite pizza in the KC area. I prefer a thin, crispy crust though so my favorite is Pizza Shoppe.

stlchiefs
03-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Cheeseburger Pizza! Sounds weird, tastes awesome.

Sure-Oz
03-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Grinders Pizza owns

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Minsky's used to be my very favorite pizza in the 80's and early 90's. I've only had it once since leaving KC (back in 2000) and it was awful.

Maybe it was the location (way out in South Joco - like 151st & something)?

MTG#10
03-13-2010, 01:36 PM
As long as they translate Minsky's the KC way....it will be the best pizza in Springfield.

Hands down.

I havent had it in years and dont even know if its still there but South Avenue Pizza Company in downtown Spfd beats the hell out of anything Ive had in KC including Minsky's.

Stewie
03-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Minsky's is my second favorite pizza in the KC area. I prefer a thin, crispy crust though so my favorite is Pizza Shoppe.

+1

I usually make my own pizza, but if I eat pizza out it's from Pizza Shoppe. In fact, there's a Minsky's about a mile from my house but I'll drive the extra distance for Pizza Shoppe.

beer bacon
03-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Papa Minsky's is great. I love roasted red peppers.

The Prime Cut is also very good. It's basically all meat.

These are my two favorites as well. I really like the Papa Minsky's.

Mama Hip Rockets
03-13-2010, 01:44 PM
My brother works at Minsky's, but for some reason I have never eaten there yet. Sounds pretty good.

Saul Good
03-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Do you like St. Louis style at all? My favorite pizza at the moment is Imo's pepperoni and jalapeno. It's a very thin crust with provolone cheese and slices cut in squares.

no love
03-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Cheeseburger Pizza! Sounds weird, tastes awesome.

FTW!!!

life before cheeseburger pizza...
life after cheeseburger pizza!!!11!!!

JD10367
03-13-2010, 01:51 PM
If luv and no love post in the same thread, do they cancel each other out? :shrug:

Saul Good
03-13-2010, 01:52 PM
If luv and no love post in the same thread, do they cancel each other out? :shrug:

Well, yes and no.

Groves
03-13-2010, 01:55 PM
South Avenue Pizza Company in downtown Spfd beats the hell out of anything Ive had in KC including Minsky's.

South Avenue Pizza used to be my favorite pizza in town, but in my opinion it's gone downhill recently.

Nothing beats a home pizza, but I'm looking forward to trying Minsky's now that we have one.

JD10367
03-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Well, yes and no.

Well, that's helpful, and not. :D

luv
03-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I havent had it in years and dont even know if its still there but South Avenue Pizza Company in downtown Spfd beats the hell out of anything Ive had in KC including Minsky's.

It's there. Thinking back, I don't think I've ever eaten there. Before Bar Next Door (served South Avenue Pizza) became Finnigan's Wake, I drank there. Never had the food though.

luv
03-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Any of you Springfieldians had Arris? IMO, it's the best in town (speaking before I have the Papa Minsky tonight).

patteeu
03-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Do you like St. Louis style at all? My favorite pizza at the moment is Imo's pepperoni and jalapeno. It's a very thin crust with provolone cheese and slices cut in squares.

I like Imo's as a change of pace. I used to eat it more when I lived in St. Louis. It's quite a drive to get to the nearest Imo's now. Their crust is usually pretty soggy, which isn't is good as crispy thin, IMO. Love the pepperoni/jalapeno combination though.

ChiefJustice
03-13-2010, 02:00 PM

I think that's when the universe explodes and stuff....luv just doesn't seem to have her game face on today.

Kyle DeLexus
03-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Minsky's Chicken Cordon Bleu is by far the best pizza I've ever had.....but I love chicken and white pizzas.

blaise
03-13-2010, 02:02 PM
I like Minsky's but I don't like how they put the pepperoni under the cheese.

Kyle DeLexus
03-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Minsky's used to be my very favorite pizza in the 80's and early 90's. I've only had it once since leaving KC (back in 2000) and it was awful.

Maybe it was the location (way out in South Joco - like 151st & something)?

We've found that the location is very important. The one you went to is a hit or miss. Some days it's as good as others, some days it's downright horrible.

Reaper16
03-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Even as a Columbia guy, I have no problem saying that Shakespeare's can't hold Minskey's jock.
They are very different pizza joints. For my money almost nothing tops Shakespeare's. I am in love with that place.

Pizza Shoppe? Seriously? Ugh.

MTG#10
03-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Any of you Springfieldians had Arris? IMO, it's the best in town (speaking before I have the Papa Minsky tonight).
Ive never even heard of it. Where is it?

SLAG
03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Rosatti's is good too - the one in the northland is for sale BTW-

My mom makes a home made pizza and uses the grand's biscuit dough for the crust

Fish
03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I like Minsky's but I don't like how they put the pepperoni under the cheese.

As it damn well should be. I hate fried crispy pepperoni on top of the cheese.

Stewie
03-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Yeah, nobody likes Pizza Shoppe because you have to stand in line for a carry out pizza, or have to wait for a table.

Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

blaise
03-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Crispy pepperoni is much, much better than soggy, under cheese pepperoni.

Bowser
03-13-2010, 02:18 PM
I literally have not had an item off the Minsky's menu that I didn't like - from the pizzas to the apps to the sammiches to the dinners to even the salads. Of course, it's all unhealthy as hell, which is probably why it tastes so damned good.

luv
03-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Ive never even heard of it. Where is it?

On Republic between Fremont and National.

Fire Me Boy!
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
In Columbia, I like G&D's Pizza better than Shakespeare's. It helps that it's right next to House of Chow (sorta upscale Chinese) and you can get two meals at the same place and take one home for later. :drool:

Also a HUGE fan of Pizza Glen in Clinton. If you're ever in Clinton, head there.

luv
03-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I think Springfield is the hub for pizza joints....

Pizza Hut
Domino's
Papa John's
Breadeaux
Arris
South Avenue
Wheat State
Imo's
McSalty's
Minsky's
Godfather's

Probably some I'm not thinking of. That's what we've got. Pizza joints, chinese restaurants, and churches.

Fire Me Boy!
03-13-2010, 02:33 PM

Pizza Hut
Domino's
Papa John's
Breadeaux
Arris
South Avenue
Wheat State
Imo's
McSalty's
Minsky's
Godfather's

Probably some I'm not thinking of. That's what we've got. Pizza joints, chinese restaurants, and churches.

Isn't McSalty's gone? They kicked ass.

luv
03-13-2010, 02:34 PM
McSalty's is gone, but they kicked ass.

Nuh-uh. We still have some.

Fire Me Boy!
03-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Nuh-uh. We still have some.

Some? I only knew of one, across Battlefield from the mall.... used to be really close to the Bombay Bicycle Club.

Fire Me Boy!
03-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Pizza joints, chinese restaurants, and churches.

Nothing wrong with good Chinese joints. There's not a place within 50 miles of here that I've been that holds a candle to a dozen places in Springfield or KC for Chinese food.

Friggin' everything in Myrtle Beach is a damn buffet.

luv
03-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Some? I only knew of one, across Battlefield from the mall.... used to be really close to the Bombay Bicycle Club.

That one is still there. Bombay Bicycle Club is long gone. The other one is on Sunshine way east of Glenstone. Near a street called Oak Grove.

JD10367
03-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I would rather have the worst corner-store or independent pizza than eat at Papa John's, Pizza Hut, or Domino's. Those places suck donkey balls. Cheap rubbery cheese, tasteless sauce and dough... ick.

luv
03-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I would rather have the worst corner-store or independent pizza than eat at Papa John's, Pizza Hut, or Domino's. Those places suck donkey balls. Cheap rubbery cheese, tasteless sauce and dough... ick.

If I ever want a pizza delivered, then I have to call one of them. The other places either don't deliver or don't deliver as far south of town as I am.

Oh yeah. We used to have Mazzio's, but they went out years ago, too.

JD10367
03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
If I ever want a pizza delivered, then I have to call one of them. The other places either don't deliver or don't deliver as far south of town as I am.

If I lived closer, I'd pick up pizza and bring it to you. No one should have to resort to Pizza Hut, Domino's, or Papa John's, LOL.

MTG#10
03-13-2010, 02:56 PM
If I lived closer, I'd pick up pizza and bring it to you. No one should have to resort to Pizza Hut, Domino's, or Papa John's, LOL.

Thats the only places she said delivers to her...there are MUCH better pizza joints in spfd than those three...although I have to say since Domino's changed their recipe they are a lot better than they used to be...

Fish
03-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Crispy pepperoni is much, much better than soggy, under cheese pepperoni.

Blasphemy.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 03:22 PM
We've found that the location is very important. The one you went to is a hit or miss. Some days it's as good as others, some days it's downright horrible.

Okay, that's good to know.

Back in the day, I used to frequent the Minsky's on 95th & Antioch and it was always stellar. That explains why I was shocked when I had the pizza from that South JoCo location.

Titty Meat
03-13-2010, 03:23 PM
IMO the best Minskeys is the one by the Plaza.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 03:24 PM
They are very different pizza joints. For my money almost nothing tops Shakespeare's. I am in love with that place.

Pizza Shoppe was great back in the 70's and early 80's but I had it last year while visiting in December and it was not good, at all.

Huffman83
03-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Minksy's is my absolute favorite pizza place. I would trade one Shakespeares for a Minksky's. Fucking hippies running the Minsky's out of town when it was here.

MahiMike
03-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I remember that place. One near the plaza where I used to live. Good stuff.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 03:29 PM

I'm with you. There are mom & pop places that serve NY pizza all over LA that are a million times better than the overly salted pizzas that Domino's, Pizza Hut and especially Papa John's serve.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Minksy's is my absolute favorite pizza place. I would trade one Shakespeares for a Minksky's. Fucking hippies running the Minsky's out of town when it was here.

Hippies? Was this in the 60's?

Kyle DeLexus
03-13-2010, 03:34 PM

I agree with you on normal pizza, but I'm a big fan of Papa John's Hawaiian BBQ Chicken pizza.

luv
03-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I agree with you on normal pizza, but I'm a big fan of Papa John's Hawaiian BBQ Chicken pizza.

Fruit on pizza = nasty

Titty Meat
03-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Pizza Shoppe was great back in the 70's and early 80's but I had it last year while visiting in December and it was not good, at all.

Which one did you go to?

luv
03-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, I just ordered it. In 20 minutes, I will be picking up the following:

Calzone - pepperoni, Italian sausage, mushroom
Medium Papa Minsky with honey wheat crust

JD10367
03-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Well, I just ordered it. In 20 minutes, I will be picking up the following:

Calzone - pepperoni, Italian sausage, mushroom
Medium Papa Minsky with honey wheat crust

And we already know you have the beer. Party time!

KCUnited
03-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Cheeseburger Pizza, sounds white trash as a mofo, but it's really tasty.

patteeu
03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Fruit on pizza = nasty

I mostly agree with you, but I ate a canadian bacon, pineapple, and jalapeno pizza once when I was really hungry and it tasted pretty good. The spiciness changed the equation for me although not enough for me to have ordered it since then.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Which one did you go to?

I think it was like 67th and Neiman?

It's been a long, long time but that seems right.

I rarely make it back to KC these days and when I do, at least in JoCo, I'm pretty much lost.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I mostly agree with you, but I ate a canadian bacon, pineapple, and jalapeno pizza once when I was really hungry and it tasted pretty good. The spiciness changed the equation for me although not enough for me to have ordered it since then.

Hawaiian Pizza!

It ROCKS when it's done well. I also love great vegeatarian pizza from Mom & Pop places (not Pizza Hut, et al. That's nasty).

JD10367
03-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, luv? We're awaiting the verdict. Did you dig into the box and eat the pie? Now that you've tried it, are you wondering why you waited so long? I hope it was hot and gooey.

-- This post brought to you by the Ambiguously Sex-Related Posters of America

Titty Meat
03-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I think it was like 67th and Neiman?

It's been a long, long time but that seems right.

I rarely make it back to KC these days and when I do, at least in JoCo, I'm pretty much lost.

Oh that one is meh. I like the one on 87th & Santa Fe. I was gonna say next time you're in the area hit me up.

luv
03-13-2010, 04:19 PM
They must get their boxes from up there. THe number on them is 913-339-6999. lol

luv
03-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I tried a slice of the pizza. My only complaint is that they didn't get the crust cut all the way through. Good stuff. I'm a fan of the meat under the cheese.

JD10367
03-13-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm a fan of the meat under the cheese.

:spock:

Phobia
03-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Pizza Hut
Domino's
Papa John's
Breadeaux
Arris
South Avenue
Wheat State
Imo's
McSalty's
Minsky's
Godfather's

Pizza Hut
Domino's
Papa John's
Breadeaux
Godfathers
The above shouldn't even enter a pizza discussion.

Arris
South Avenue
Wheat State
Imo's
McSalty's
Minsky's
I'm only familiar with Minskys from these guys so the rest get the benefit of a doubt.

Baby Lee
03-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Blasphemy, I actually suggested to the manager of a Pizza Hut, that they could save money on bread on their buffet is they offered a dish that was just cheese with crispy pepperoni on top.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Oh that one is meh. I like the one on 87th & Santa Fe. I was gonna say next time you're in the area hit me up.

Oh, I think I misunderstood the question: Were you asking about the location that was great in the 70's and early 80's or the location in which I recently ate?

1. 70's and 80's - 67th and Neiman.

2. December 2009 - I just looked it up and it was Liberty, MO.

luv
03-13-2010, 04:40 PM
:spock:

Most places I've been have meat, such as pepperoni, above the cheese. The only time I like crispy pepperoni is if it's the only topping. People have a tendency to burn it though.

luv
03-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Pizza Hut
Domino's
Papa John's
Breadeaux
Godfathers

Arris
South Avenue
Wheat State
Imo's
McSalty's
Minsky's
I'm only familiar with Minskys from these guys so the rest get the benefit of a doubt.

The Godfather's down here isn't too bad. Their BBQ chicken pizza rocks.

Reaper16
03-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Pizza Hut
Domino's
Papa John's
Breadeaux
Godfathers

Arris
South Avenue
Wheat State
Imo's
McSalty's
Minsky's
Imo's is worse than Domino's and Godfather's to me.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Minksy's is my absolute favorite pizza place. I would trade one Shakespeares for a Minksky's. ****ing hippies running the Minsky's out of town when it was here.

THERE WAS A MINSKEY'S HERE!?!?!?

And the asshole hippies ran it out?

http://www.thecampofthesaints.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Eric-Cartman-Screw-You-Hippie-560.jpg

That sucks hard. I take crap for it, but my favorite pizza in town is still Wise Guys. Those guys do a great job and it's just a little hole in the wall in the back of a bar.

Italian Village is good, too. Shakespeares is decent, but it's expensive as hell and really really greasy. I will admit that I if I add cheddar as a topping, that makes a big difference and then Shakespeare's is pretty good.

But still, !@#$ those guys for running Minskey's out of town.

Reaper16
03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Shakespeares is decent, but it's expensive as hell and really really greasy. I will admit that I if I add cheddar as a topping, that makes a big difference and then Shakespeare's is pretty good.

Shakespeare's isn't greasy like Pizza Hut style greasy. Its the proper kind of orange greasy that is the mark of a fantastic pie.

Kyle DeLexus
03-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Fruit on pizza = nasty

Normally I'd agree with you on that, but there's something about the combo of Chicken, bbq sauce, bacon, onion, and pineapple that is delicious.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Most underrated pizza ever -- Bacon and Jalapeno.

I don't know why bacon hasn't ever caught on as a pizza topping, but if you've never had a bacon/jalapeno pizza, give it a shot and thank me later.

I don't get it every time, but I'm never disappointed when I do...

SAUTO
03-13-2010, 05:12 PM
IMO the best Minskeys is the one by the Plaza.

the river market location is the one for me
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Pizza, coffee, sex, and the NFL:

when they're good, they're really really good... and when they're bad... they're still pretty good.

Kyle DeLexus
03-13-2010, 05:21 PM
the river market location is the one for me
Posted via Mobile Device

This. I drive over 20 minutes each way to go there.

Huffman83
03-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Now to experience thin crust greasy pizza done right. Go to Pizza Kwik in Jefferson City. Just be sure to bring your black card and your gang colors.

Fish
03-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Fruit on pizza = nasty

I often order a pepperoni, pineapple, and jalapeņo pizza. It's actually pretty awesome.

cdcox
03-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Leo's is the bomb.

Bowser
03-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I often order a pepperoni, pineapple, and jalapeņo pizza. It's actually pretty awesome.

"The Bowel Cleaner"

luv
03-13-2010, 07:34 PM

I might like the pineapple if I ever ordered jalapenos on my pizza. I don't care for jalapenos either...lol.

Molitoth
03-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Their Sweet pizza Sauce is the best.

luv
03-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Their Sweet pizza Sauce is the best.

I had one piece so far (the calzone was really good). I was suprised at what the red pepper did for the pizza (on the Pap Minsky).

Mecca
03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
You know what really sucks? Olives and mushrooms, I don't know how people eat that shit on their pizza.

luv
03-13-2010, 08:23 PM
You know what really sucks? Olives and mushrooms, I don't know how people eat that shit on their pizza.

I agree with you olives sentiment. Mushrooms, on pizza, are good.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Most underrated pizza ever -- Bacon and Jalapeno.

I don't know why bacon hasn't ever caught on as a pizza topping, but if you've never had a bacon/jalapeno pizza, give it a shot and thank me later.

I don't get it every time, but I'm never disappointed when I do...

I won't order a pizza without bacon on it anymore.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-13-2010, 08:27 PM
I hate olives, but black olives on pizza is awesome.

luv
03-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Washing it down with a couple of Killian's Irish Red. Only two. I'm on call this weekend.

Reaper16
03-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Mushrooms rule. I'm not really a fan at all of black olives. Though I had a pizza from a place called Mellow Mushroom in Tuscaloosa that had Kalamata olives on it and it was incredible.

KcMizzou
03-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I can't remember the last time I had a pizza that didn't include mushrooms.

cdcox
03-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Mushrooms, green pepper, black olives and onions all rule. Throw on some good Italian sausage and that's about perfect.

BigMeatballDave
03-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Wow, Minsky's Pizza. Good shit. I forgot all about that place.

BigMeatballDave
03-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Mushrooms, Puke. I'll pass on the fungus.

I love jalapeņos on my pizza.

patteeu
03-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Oh, I think I misunderstood the question: Were you asking about the location that was great in the 70's and early 80's or the location in which I recently ate?

1. 70's and 80's - 67th and Neiman.

2. December 2009 - I just looked it up and it was Liberty, MO.

I've been to that Liberty store twice and I've been underwhelmed both times. Something's not right there.

Valiant
03-13-2010, 08:40 PM

I think it depends on which one you go to..

Minsky's on Barry by zona = amazing
Minsky's on Barry by N. Oak = Utter shit..

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-13-2010, 10:11 PM
I always liked that joint at Metro North Mall; "Original Pizza" I think it was? There's a place in Smithville called "Aladdins" that made a pretty good pie back in the day.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Kelso's is the place at Metro North.

It was phenominal in it's prime. A little more pricey than most pizza places, but worth it on occasion.

I'd be surprised if it was still there, but that place used to be a great time.

KcMizzou
03-13-2010, 10:45 PM

It was phenominal in it's prime. A little more pricey than most pizza places, but worth it on occasion.

I'd be surprised if it was still there, but that place used to be a great time.Actually, there was both a Kelso's and Original Pizza.

O.P. was right by the arcade and the movie theater, but Kelso's was better, IMO.

(Neither was as good as Minskys)

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 10:48 PM
I've been to that Liberty store twice and I've been underwhelmed both times. Something's not right there.

That's good to know, if for anything other than the fact that I'll give it shot again someday.

When I was at my folks in November, they ordered Papa Murphy's, the cook your own pizza place. The thin crust was "okay" but thick crust chicken sucked. The chicken had absolutely no flavoring whatsoever.

A few nights later, my sister ordered her favorite pizza, some place off of K7 and K10 (can't remember the name). It wasn't any better.

To be quite honest, after eating NY Italian style thin crust pizza with no salt added and fresh ingredients for the past 15 years, chain store pizza is disappointing, if not disgusting.

CosmicPal
03-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Mushrooms, Puke. I'll pass on the fungus.

I love jalapeņos on my pizza.

I love shrooms on my pie. To each his own I guess. :D

It's funny you bring up jalapeno's because I just ordered a jalapeno and sausage pizza last night from a local pizzaria here in Tampa. Don't know why, but I just thought it sounded it good and it ended up to be a pleasant surprise. Never tried it on pizza before, but I will do it again.

luv
03-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm going to have to try a Minsky's next time I'm up there. It was good, but I think I like Arris better. I need to have it when it's hot and fresh, and not 30 minutes out of the oven, I guess.

CosmicPal
03-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Whenever I get back to KC and we do pizza, it's always Minsky's.

I don't know how or why one place can be better than the other- it's a franchise and they should be following the same procedures/methods and using the same ingredients. The sad thing is, is that I've noticed that one Minsky's is indeed better than the other at times. How can that be? They should all be following the same agreement. If not, then shame on Minsky's.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Whenever I get back to KC and we do pizza, it's always Minsky's.

I don't know how or why one place can be better than the other- it's a franchise and they should be following the same procedures/methods and using the same ingredients. The sad thing is, is that I've noticed that one Minsky's is indeed better than the other at times. How can that be? They should all be following the same agreement. If not, then shame on Minsky's.

Ovens, prep, cooks, delivery driver, etc.

We've got a place 1.5 miles from where I live called Prizzi's Piazza. It'll be amazing one week, then three months later, the worst pizza you've ever had in your life.

Mama Hip Rockets
03-13-2010, 11:00 PM

Me neither. I cannot for the life of me understand how someone could like mushrooms or olives on anything, pizza or otherwise.

KcMizzou
03-13-2010, 11:01 PM
The only Minsky's I've ever had is on Barry road, across from Zona Rosa. I love it.

CosmicPal
03-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Ovens, prep, cooks, delivery driver, etc.

We've got a place 1.5 miles from where I live called Prizzi's Piazza. It'll be amazing one week, then three months later, the worst pizza you've ever had in your life.

Right. But don't franchises sign an agreement that they must uphold a certain standard? Use same equipment? Follow guidelines, etc.? Hence the reason a Subway sandwich tastes the same in New York as it does in San Diego? :shrug:

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Right. But don't franchises sign an agreement that they must uphold a certain standard? Use same equipment? Follow guidelines, etc.? Hence the reason a Subway sandwich tastes the same in New York as it does in San Diego? :shrug:

That I couldn't not tell you.

But as far as Subway is concerned, the food they serve is distributed much like McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc., which is why they're so consistent.

Minsky's is a local KC chain and I'm clearly not familiar with their policies.

CosmicPal
03-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Minsky's is a local KC chain and I'm clearly not familiar with their policies.

And that's likely it. Oft times I'll hear a story about how someone absolutely refuses to franchise his/her restaurant because they feel they'll lose control of the quality since they can't manage several restaurants like they can manage one. They insist upon the quality of their food being the absolute best, therefore, they don't franchise.

Therefore, we can suffice to say that Minsky's isn't managing the quality of some of their franchises. It's too bad, because it's one damn good pie when you get it at the right place and the right time.

Reaper16
03-13-2010, 11:17 PM
I always liked that joint at Metro North Mall; "Original Pizza" I think it was? There's a place in Smithville called "Aladdins" that made a pretty good pie back in the day.

Actually, there was both a Kelso's and Original Pizza.

O.P. was right by the arcade and the movie theater, but Kelso's was better, IMO.

(Neither was as good as Minskys)
Original Pizza at Metro North Mall is still to this day the most authentic NY-style slice in all of Kansas City. I've eaten so much of it; I grew up on the stuff.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Original Pizza at Metro North Mall is still to this day the most authentic NY-style slice in all of Kansas City. I've eaten so much of it; I grew up on the stuff.

THANK YOU! I knew I wasn't alone in thinking that pizza fucking rocked.

Reapers taste trumps all; kiss my ass Chiefs Planet! :p

Wasn't Kelso's the Nebraska football-tard headquarters of the northland?

KcMizzou
03-13-2010, 11:37 PM
THANK YOU! I knew I wasn't alone in thinking that pizza fucking rocked.

Wasn't Kelso's the Nebraska football-tard headquarters of the northland?Hell, OP was really good. Different strokes, that's all.

I spent a lot of time there as a kid. (and at the arcade, and theater)

That corner of Metro North was the perfect teenage hangout area.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Hell, OP was really good. Different strokes, that's all.

I spent a lot of time there as a kid. (and at the arcade, and theater)

That corner of Metro North was the perfect teenage hangout area.

Yeah it was. In the mid to late-80's, that place was Poon Fuckin' Central.

Metro North is so dead now, it's like walking through a ghost of the past and quite depressing.

Reaper16
03-13-2010, 11:50 PM
That corner kicked so much ass. Original Pizza was right next to the goddamned Fun Factory. My 5th-grade ass would do the following at Metro North while my mom shopped: 1.) Pick up books and issues of Wizard, InQuest and ToyFare magazines from WaldenBooks. 2.) Eat at Original Pizza. 3.) Whup some strangers' monkey asses at the X-Men: Children of the Atom arcade game at Fun Factory.

That same area was where they were building the new food court. It was never completed. There's a small crack in the walls around it that you can barely see through to catch a glimpse of the food court that almost-was.

KcMizzou
03-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Yeah it was. In the mid to late-80's, that place was Poon Fuckin' Central.

Metro North is so dead now, it's like walking through a ghost of the past and quite depressing.Yeah, Metro North is dead...

I think most all malls are these days.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-13-2010, 11:57 PM
3.) Whup some strangers' monkey asses at the X-Men: Children of the Atom arcade game at Fun Factory.

LMAO

Yeah, Metro North is dead...

Oh, and 'Antioch Mall' has like...6 open shops now...LMAO

"Perfume Pizazz; keeping the dream alive"! :thumb:

KCUnited
03-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Don't sleep on U Gene's in Riverside for a NY style pizza, comparable to Original Pizza.

gblowfish
03-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Here in Independence there's a little mom and pop pizza joint on the Square called "Square Pizza." It's also good, not as good as Minsky's but passable. And the pizzas are square not round. They have good calzones too. Price is higher than the chain places, but better ingredients. I like their BBQ chicken pizza.

http://www.squarepizzasquared.com/

BigMeatballDave
03-14-2010, 09:21 AM
There is a mall a few miles from me that is a ghost town. 13 yrs ago when I 1st moved to this area, it was always busy.

There is another mall about 10 miles from me that has always been buys. They remodeled the whole damn thing. Not an empty store in the place.

Reaper16
03-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Don't sleep on U Gene's in Riverside for a NY style pizza, comparable to Original Pizza.
Never been. Next time I go to Riverside Red X I'll try and stop into U Gene's.

KCUnited
03-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Never been. Next time I go to Riverside Red X I'll try and stop into U Gene's.

I'm a huge Original Pizza fan and I enjoy U Gene's the same way.

While we're at it, I'd like to recognize the Red X for the best soundtrack of any grocery store/swap meet/liqour store in the city. I'm there often and each time I feel like pulling up a lawn chair, cracking a tallboy, and people watching the lottery section.

Reaper16
03-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm a huge Original Pizza fan and I enjoy U Gene's the same way.

While we're at it, I'd like to recognize the Red X for the best soundtrack of any grocery store/swap meet/liqour store in the city. I'm there often and each time I feel like pulling up a lawn chair, cracking a tallboy, and people watching the lottery section.
I adore people watching at Red X! That store itself is so damn crazy -- weird, off-brand groceries + hardware store + stuff-that-fell-out-the-back-of-a-truck-store + gigantic liquor store + strange museum for giant, kitschy sculptures. So of course a store that weird would attract people of similar weirdness.

Oxford
03-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Ate there once, bad pizza-slow service. If you like calzones, try Rocco's in Republic, for pizza-stromboli's Pappas Style Kitchen in Ozark is much better. Pizza House on Commercial St for the best thin crust pizza around

Deberg_1990
03-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, Metro North is dead...

Indoor malls are a dying breed. Theres a trend now going on with the open air malls.

Fish
03-14-2010, 10:23 AM
To be quite honest, after eating NY Italian style thin crust pizza with no salt added and fresh ingredients for the past 15 years, chain store pizza is disappointing, if not disgusting.

NY Italian style huh? That must make it better than KS Italian style or even MO Italian style. LMAO

DaneMcCloud
03-14-2010, 10:37 AM
NY Italian style huh? That must make it better than KS Italian style or even MO Italian style. LMAO

Better? No. Different? Absolutely.

I've never had NY style pizza in KC. Do they have places like that now?

Paper thin crust, very little sauce, light cheese and with all of the topping on top of the sauce and cheese.

The crust is the key.

Fish
03-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Better? No. Different? Absolutely.

I've never had NY style pizza in KC. Do they have places like that now?

Paper thin crust, very little sauce, light cheese and with all of the topping on top of the sauce and cheese.

The crust is the key.

Of course. We call it KC NY Italian style.

bevischief
03-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Just get any pizza you like, they're all good.

I'm a huge fan of their calzones.

This!!!!!!!!

patteeu
03-14-2010, 10:46 AM

I'd be surprised if it was still there, but that place used to be a great time.

There were two pizza places in Metro North. Kelso's was on the south side of the western end and the other one (maybe "Original Pizza") was on the other end of the mall near the old theaters. Metro North is almost empty now, but surprisingly the pizza place near the old theaters is still there. I don't know if it's still the same ownership, but I'm shocked that they still have enough customers to stay in business. I think Kelso's might still be there too, but I don't ever get to that end of the mall. IMO, Kelso's was the better pizza though.

DaneMcCloud
03-14-2010, 10:50 AM

Oh, and NY Italian is definitely different than California Italian (and different that Kansas & Missouri).

Why?

Because NY and KC are mainly populated by Sicilians (like myself). The food in Sicily is completely different than the food in Italy, especially Rome.

In Sicily, you'll find the meat balls, sausage, ricotta cheese, arancini's and veal as staple foods. In Roma & Tuscany, it's more prosciutto on very thin cracker-like bread, more olive oil and light creme pastas, etc.

Cal-cuisine, especially Italian Cal-cuisine, is based on Northern Italian cooking. It was very difficult to get used to but I "get it" now. But I still prefer Sicilian food, although there are no Mom & Pop places around here that know how to cook the food correctly. I haven't found a single place in LA, and I've tried them all, that knows how to make Italian sausage even half as well as Scimeca's or Mendolia's. I found a place in the SF Bay area that makes "acceptable" Italian sausage called Podesto's, but we rarely make it up there these days.

The only even decent Sicilian restaurants are both chains: Buca De Pepo and Maggiano's. Neither hold a candle to places in KC like Garozzo's.

Titty Meat
03-14-2010, 10:51 AM
THANK YOU! I knew I wasn't alone in thinking that pizza ****ing rocked.

Wasn't Kelso's the Nebraska football-tard headquarters of the northland?

Mmmm pizza. I imagine all the ass beatings given to Mizzou add a little salt in the pizza from all the tears being shed?

DJ's left nut
03-14-2010, 10:53 AM
That corner kicked so much ass. Original Pizza was right next to the goddamned Fun Factory. My 5th-grade ass would do the following at Metro North while my mom shopped: 1.) Pick up books and issues of Wizard, InQuest and ToyFare magazines from WaldenBooks. 2.) Eat at Original Pizza. 3.) Whup some strangers' monkey asses at the X-Men: Children of the Atom arcade game at Fun Factory.

That same area was where they were building the new food court. It was never completed. There's a small crack in the walls around it that you can barely see through to catch a glimpse of the food court that almost-was.

I got thrown out of that fun-factory for mule-kicking the X-men machine when it stole my quarters.

To this day, my buddy and I will ocasionally walk up to each other and, in our best insulting arabic accent, mutter "Hey you, get the !@#$ out of my store..."

Good times.

Titty Meat
03-14-2010, 10:55 AM
I got thrown out of that fun-factory for mule-kicking the X-men machine when it stole my quarters.

To this day, my buddy and I will ocasionally walk up to each other and, in our best insulting arabic accent, mutter "Hey you, get the !@#$ out of my store..."

Good times.

Ok you made me spit out my chocolate milk.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Mmmm pizza. I imagine all the ass beatings given to Mizzou add a little salt in the pizza from all the tears being shed?

I never went to Minski's Nub-Tard Pizza, so I couldn't say. Bitch. :evil:

Fish
03-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh, and NY Italian is definitely different than California Italian (and different that Kansas & Missouri).

Why?

Because NY and KC are mainly populated by Sicilians (like myself). The food in Sicily is completely different than the food in Italy, especially Rome.

In Sicily, you'll find the meat balls, sausage, ricotta cheese, arancini's and veal as staple foods. In Roma & Tuscany, it's more prosciutto on very thin cracker-like bread, more olive oil and light creme pastas, etc.

Cal-cuisine, especially Italian Cal-cuisine, is based on Northern Italian cooking. It was very difficult to get used to but I "get it" now. But I still prefer Sicilian food, although there are no Mom & Pop places around here that know how to cook the food correctly. I haven't found a single place in LA, and I've tried them all, that knows how to make Italian sausage even half as well as Scimeca's or Mendolia's. I found a place in the SF Bay area that makes "acceptable" Italian sausage called Podesto's, but we rarely make it up there these days.

The only even decent Sicilian restaurants are both chains: Buca De Pepo and Maggiano's. Neither hold a candle to places in KC like Garozzo's.

I understand. I'm just poking fun at your overcomplicated way of describing cuisine. It's all a turd in the end.... :D

DaneMcCloud
03-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I understand. I'm just poking fun at your overcomplicated way of describing cuisine. It's all a turd in the end.... :D

Yeah, I guess I've lived out here too long

:D

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Why?

Because NY and KC are mainly populated by Sicilians (like myself).

Dane, you fuckin' Guinea. :p

Make yourself useful and go whack Saccopoo.

DaneMcCloud
03-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Dane, you fuckin' Guinea. :p

Make yourself useful and go whack Saccopoo.

LMAO

Phobia
03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Okay - Next Door Pizza in the New Longview area of Lee's Summit should be in any discussion about KC area pizza. Delicious Chicago style. Screw you Pizzeria Uno.

Reaper16
03-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Okay - Next Door Pizza in the New Longview area of Lee's Summit should be in any discussion about KC area pizza. Delicious Chicago style. Screw you Pizzeria Uno.
How good is the crust at Next Door Pizza?

Titty Meat
03-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Fun House Pizza used to be good but I think they changed ownership it sucked last time.

KCUnited
03-14-2010, 01:57 PM
I adore people watching at Red X!
I buy all my Powerball tickets at the Red X because it looks like the type of place that would produce a lotter winner. Well I was in there in '05 buying a Powerball ticket and saw the biggest pancake titty I've ever seen. This braless Riversider had a pair that looked like something Adam Richman might take on in a food challenge. Man vs. Titty. My wife still tells the story, we were both blown away.

Stewie
03-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Deep dish crusts are always thick and heavy, as are the toppings.

Reaper16
03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Deep dish crusts are always thick and heavy, as are the toppings.
I am intimate with Chicago style pizza. I want to know Phobia's estimation and reasons for forming said estimation of Next Door's quality of crust.

Phobia
03-14-2010, 02:08 PM

The crust is well-bodied and firm. The tips are well toasted. They report the pie weighs 3 lbs before toppings are added. It's not greasy, like Uno's.

Stewie
03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
I am intimate with Chicago style pizza. I want to know Phobia's estimation and reasons for forming said estimation of Next Door's quality of crust.

OK. I thought deep dish crust was trapped in a pan and is less important since it's slightly undercooked and gooey. My bad.

Phobia
03-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Oh.... and it will soon become your favorite place. They have about a dozen very nice ESB, IPAs, saisons, and Trois Pistoles on tap.

Stewie
03-14-2010, 02:18 PM
The crust is well-bodied and firm. The tips are well toasted. They report the pie weighs 3 lbs before toppings are added. It's not greasy, like Uno's.

Wow! Three pounds of flour and water? Really? Does that include the pan? I'm not being a smartass but that must be a huge pizza.

Fire Me Boy!
03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I like Fun House's pizza, but it wasn't the bee's knees for me. Their wings, however, kicked all kinds of ass.

Sure-Oz
03-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Grinders downtown is all sorts of ownage

Reaper16
03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
OK. I thought deep dish crust was trapped in a pan and is less important since it's slightly undercooked and gooey. My bad.
Absolutely not. A superior crust for the style (as embodied by my two favorite Chicago places -- Burt's Place and Pequad's) is not gooey at all. Nearly the opposite; the hallmark of a great Chicago style crust is the degree of caramelization.

Oh.... and it will soon become your favorite place. They have about a dozen very nice ESB, IPAs, saisons, and Trois Pistoles on tap.
Well I have to go there now. Any place with a beer list smart enough to focus on the styles that are appropriate to pair with the food served is worth a try.

Phobia
03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
I like Fun House's pizza, but it wasn't the bee's knees for me. Their wings, however, kicked all kinds of ass.

Unfortunately, the one in Raymore is now closed and it was the only one which served those wings.

Fire Me Boy!
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately, the one in Raymore is now closed and it was the only one which served those wings.

I heard that a while ago. I didn't realize they were the only ones that sold those wings. I went there a couple times and ordered just wings. :drool: