|Zach|
03-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Awesome.

Bane
03-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Nice.:clap:

SAUTO
03-14-2010, 06:11 PM
i saw this earlier, thought someone would have SURELY posted it already. cp is slippin today
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
This was in the main section of the Kansas City Star today. Not the sports section.

Titty Meat
I thought so too but didn't see it posted anywhere.

KcMizzou
03-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Why did the Jets let this guy go?

I mean, he signed with us pretty cheap, right?

They seem to love him.

SAUTO
03-14-2010, 06:13 PM
This was in the main section of the Kansas City Star today. Not the sports section.

yep towards the end of the front page section, full page
Posted via Mobile Device

Pablo
03-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Why did the Jets let this guy go?

I mean, he sign with us pretty cheap, right?

They seem to love him.I suppose because they believe they have a younger version of him in Shonn Greene.

HypnotizedMonkey
03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
it looks like he died or something lol... kinda did a little probably.. inside.

BossChief
03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Good stuff!

I cant believe so many people were opposed to signing this guy.

Titty Meat
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Good stuff!

For 4.4 mil a year yes.

Reaper16
03-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Good stuff!

Nobody thought we'd get him for the incredible price that he signed for. If, pre-signing, CP had been asked "Would you want Thomas Jones if he signed for 2 years, $5 million?" then the whole board would have been "Oh, shit yeah."

mcaj22
03-14-2010, 06:18 PM
I suppose because they believe they have a younger version of him in Shonn Greene.

This doesn't make any sense at all because the Jets just signed LT. For the same price they could have kept Jones... if they love him so much like all this talk claims they do, why would they part? Something seems odd about it now.

Pablo
Good stuff!

I cant believe so many people were opposed to signing this guy.Most everybody that was opposed to the signing just KNEW he was going to demand a lucrative, starter type contract and that Pioli was a big enough idiot to throw a bunch of money at an aging RB. They KNEW this was going to be the scenario and the f aux outrage at the possibility of signing Jones ensued.

Now everybody has shut the hell up and realized what a good deal we apparently got in this guy.

Pablo
This doesn't make any sense at all because the Jets just signed LT. For the same price they could have kept Jones... if they love him so much like all this talk claims they do, why would they part? Something seems odd about it now.Yeah, I guess I didn't even think about that.

MoreLemonPledge
03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
This doesn't make any sense at all because the Jets just signed LT. For the same price they could have kept Jones... if they love him so much like all this talk claims they do, why would they part? Something seems odd about it now.

Because they only added LT for the name value and ticket sales. He's also a better fit as a 3rd down back, and they have Shonn Greene to fill in the first 2 downs where TJ excels.

The real question is what happens to Leon Washington. Either he's more injured than they let on or they're concentrating on him more as a returner/gadget player.

Basileus777
03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Because they only added LT for the name value and ticket sales. He's also a better fit as a 3rd down back, and they have Shonn Greene to fill in the first 2 downs where TJ excels.

The real question is what happens to Leon Washington. Either he's more injured than they let on or they're concentrating on him more as a returner/gadget player.

Tomlinson isn't a good receiver anymore, so he isn't really taking on Washington's role. Washington has health concerns and even before he got hurt the Jets never really used him a ton. He'll still be their returner and screen back, which is what he was mostly doing before.

Titty Meat
03-14-2010, 08:13 PM
People forget they have Leon Washington whos the 3rd down back.

LaChapelle
03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
That's okay they got a class act in Lt
HA

jagerdrinker
03-14-2010, 08:16 PM
That's right, and now he gets to play the Patriots twice a year, guaranteed. Should make for interesting press for two weeks, anyway.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-14-2010, 08:19 PM
They wanted to keep Jones. He wasn't willing to take a pay cut from the Jets. He came here for less than what he was offered by NY from what I saw.

Basileus777
03-14-2010, 08:22 PM
They wanted to keep Jones. He wasn't willing to take a pay cut from the Jets. He came here for less than what he was offered by NY from what I saw.

It's been reported that Jones gave the Jets a chance to match his deal with the Chiefs. They refused.

OnTheWarpath15

Not true, from what was reported on Sirius NFL Radio.

After the Chiefs made TJ their final offer, his agent went back to the Jets and said that TJ would re-sign with them for the same contract KC offered.

They passed, he signed here.

OnTheWarpath15
It's been reported that Jones gave the Jets a chance to match his deal with the Chiefs. They refused.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only person who heard that report.

Titty Meat
03-14-2010, 08:23 PM

After the Chiefs made TJ their final offer, his agent went back to the Jets and said that TJ would re-sign with them for the same contract KC offered.

There must be something we don't know about.

SAUTO
03-14-2010, 08:27 PM

i saw that on cps front page too
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
03-14-2010, 08:30 PM
There must be something we don't know about.I don't know what it could possibly be. Can't be an injury issue, the doctors would have discovered that. Can't be an attitude issue, as they clearly love the guy... and wish him well. He obviously hasn't burnt any bridges.

Maybe KC just got lucky... it's just weird that we got him so cheap. (And that they wouldn't want to match that offer.)

Mr. Flopnuts

Interesting. I don't remember where I read that otherwise I would've posted a link, but it sounds like it was bad info.

BossChief
Jones must have came to the realization that his age was gonna prohibit him from getting the kind of contract he thought he could get in an uncapped year and once he was in the swimming pool he saw how much inactivity the other veteran backers were getting and Im sure his agent pointed out that if he waited till after the draft he might be competing for a vet min contract with the current free agent vet backs and the ones that will surely become available after the draft.

He took the bird in the hand with the deal that was on the table from us.

Even at that age, this was a good signing.

fan4ever
03-14-2010, 08:46 PM
That was a classy thing for the Jets to do; is it too late to do something like this for LJ?

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-14-2010, 08:57 PM
That was a classy thing for the Jets to do; is it too late to do something like this for LJ?

Sending it to the Wahington Post now:

Dear LJ,

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tPf8_WGEh3o/Swq_ltybXJI/AAAAAAAAADw/ol7gbCouqi8/s1600/die_in_a_fire.jpg

Sincerely, Kansas City

salame
03-15-2010, 02:35 AM
Sending it to the Wahington Post now:

Dear LJ,

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tPf8_WGEh3o/Swq_ltybXJI/AAAAAAAAADw/ol7gbCouqi8/s1600/die_in_a_fire.jpg

Sincerely, Kansas City

I spit beer on my keyboard lol

BossChief
03-15-2010, 02:39 AM
are those aids trees?

patteeu
03-15-2010, 07:14 AM

LOL, several years too late IMO.

Fat Elvis
03-15-2010, 07:42 AM
I spit beer on my keyboard lol

That is no fitting tribute to LJ; if you are going to spit a drink, it should be on a woman.

alpha_omega
03-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Pretty cool. Sounds like they thought highly of him.

Just wondering....anybody know what a full page ad like that costs?

tymania
03-15-2010, 08:01 AM
I suppose because they believe they have a younger version of him in Shonn Greene.

thats right! Shonn Greene is the next MJD!

buff18
03-15-2010, 10:15 AM
The Jets didn't want him back because Jones won't go down without a fight when it comes to being the starter there. For whatever reason they didn't want the competition and they brought in LT to be a backup- period. There would be no controversy with LT and Greene. Not saying Jones isn't a team player, but I bet he goes into next year with a chip on his shoulder to prove he's still got it. And he would have did that regardless of which team he signed for.

buff18
03-15-2010, 10:19 AM
And by the way, Shone Green reminds me more of a Marion Barber type than anything, though he seems more injury prone. I don't think he's going to last very long, I bet he's hurt quickly next season. And banged up the whole year, and then they got another injury prone running back in LT. And perhaps Leon coming back from an injury unless he goes elsewhere.

Jets might be in trouble next year.

RJ
03-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Good stuff!

I was opposed but now that he's here I'll certainly be rooting for him to prove me wrong.

Pretty cool of the Jets to do that.

RJ
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
are those aids trees?

Are there any other kind?

-King-
03-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Jets try to make nice with Thomas Jones
Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2010 12:10 PM ET

Kansas City residents got a strange surprise on Sunday as they flipped through the pages of the local newspaper, the Star.

Contained in Sunday's edition was a full-page ad, featuring a Jets logo in the middle of the page, beneath a photo of Thomas Jones and above the following message: "A person who embodies TOUGHNESS DEDICATION and LEADERSHIP. Thanks TJ for three great seasons." Beneath that appeared the names Woody Johnson, Coach Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum, and the New York Jets.

Asked to explain the ad by Judy Battista of the New York Times, Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said, "T. J. meant a lot to this team. We have a tremendous amount of respect for him and the way he goes about his business. We wish him the best and wanted to express our appreciation."

Said a league source in response, "If this guy is all the things they're saying, why didn't they keep him?"

It's a great question.

The source believes that if the Jets believed what they said in the ad, they would have kept Jones. The source also believes that the ad represents an effort by the Jets to defuse a potentially volatile situation.

The locker room is loyal to Jones, and players are still upset, we're told, by the decision to dump him. The locker room also might not be thrilled about the decision to pay LaDainian Tomlinson even more money than the Chiefs paid to Jones.

"Anytime [G.M. Mike] Tannenbaum feels the heat," the source opined, "he reacts like this. . . . Do you think Jones cares about this [ad]? How do you think he feels about the fact that the paid Tomlinson more money than Jones got in Kansas City?"

By all appearances, then, the ad is an exercise in damage control. The Jets are being criticized for letting Jones go, and we think they needed a gesture aimed at persuading Jones to not take advantage of any lingering influence he might have with his former teammates.

After all, the guy was only there for three years. And when the time came to honor the fourth and final year of his contract, they didn't bat an eye about cutting him.

So spare us the P.R. ploys. The Jets made a bad decision by getting rid of Jones, they've arguably compounded it by signing Tomlinson, and the respective performances of the two players and their teams suddenly has become an interesting story line for the 2010 NFL season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/15/jets-try-to-make-nice-with-thomas-jones/

JD10367
03-15-2010, 10:29 AM
This isn't unique. In fact, when the Jets signed LT, the Boston-area papers offered their own tribute. Unfortunately, most of the dog shit fell off during the printing process...

vailpass
03-15-2010, 10:32 AM
RBs are a dime a dozen these days and need to be changed every 3 years to keep them fresh. The Jets know this.

-King-
03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
RBs are a dime a dozen these days and need to be changed every 3 years to keep them fresh. The Jets know this.

So....thats why they went and got LT? :spock:

alpha_omega
03-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Pretty cool. Sounds like they thought highly of him.

Just wondering....anybody know what a full page ad like that costs?

Ok, here is the answer if anybody is interested. Looks like 15K discounted from 73K.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/20135/thanking-jones-not-all-that-expensive

MahiMike
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
He's OURs now Sukkas!

SenselessChiefsFan
03-16-2010, 01:24 PM
This shows well for the Jets organization. This is pure class. This will help them continue to land good free agents. Sanchez will be the benefactor of a good organization. He landed in the perfect spot.

Buzzsaw
03-16-2010, 02:03 PM
The Jets didn't want him back because Jones won't go down without a fight when it comes to being the starter there. For whatever reason they didn't want the competition and they brought in LT to be a backup- period. There would be no controversy with LT and Greene. Not saying Jones isn't a team player, but I bet he goes into next year with a chip on his shoulder to prove he's still got it. And he would have did that regardless of which team he signed for.

This is a pretty good take. Jones apparently was highly offended when he was told that Shonn Greene would be getting the majority of the carries for the playoff run.

From a Jets fan point of view, Tomlinson's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield is a big plus, our runningbacks combined for only 36 receptions last season, and with a young QB like Sanchez you've got to have that safe dumpoff option. Our line's A LOT better than SD's too so there could be substantial reward to the signing with them opening holes for Tomlinson.

I think the Chiefs will be very happy with Jones though, I was and will continue to be a big fan.