PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Iowa Fires Lickliter

CaliforniaChief
03-15-2010, 11:46 PM
It's so sad to me how far Iowa's hoops program has fallen...really ever since Dr. Tom Davis left the program. 3 years after hiring Lickliter, AD Gary Barta has apparently fired him.

www.hawkcentral.com

So here we go again, down to Tennessee to try and convince Bruce Pearl to leave a great job for the cesspool of Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Those of you who are KU fans, do you think Danny Manning is ready for a head coaching gig?

Titty Meat
03-15-2010, 11:47 PM
You guys should hire Doc Sadler.

Jewish Rabbi
03-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Quin Snyder is available.

KCChiefsMan
03-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Danny Manning is ready, I'd hate to see him go though

CaliforniaChief
03-15-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm sure they'll go full-throttle after Bruce Pearl. But if they don't, Danny Manning is a guy that I would love to see take over the program. And man, that's a program that needs some serious rebuilding.

BWillie
03-16-2010, 12:02 AM
I honest to god don't know if any big name will come to Iowa to coach the way that program is in disarray. All of a sudden the Steve Alford years don't seem that bad.

CaliforniaChief
03-16-2010, 12:04 AM
It's gotten so bad that it actually might be attractive. It's becoming one of those "only you are great enough to turn this crap around" jobs that just might appeal to the right ego. I wonder what Coach Ferentz does during the offseason. He would be an upgrade, to be honest.

Jewish Rabbi
03-16-2010, 12:23 AM
It's gotten so bad that it actually might be attractive. It's becoming one of those "only you are great enough to turn this crap around" jobs that just might appeal to the right ego. I wonder what Coach Ferentz does during the offseason. He would be an upgrade, to be honest.

Yeah, he'd be an upgrade... He could attract the felons to the team. :rolleyes:

BWillie
03-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Scott Drew would be a good hire. Iowa's problem for a long long time has been the lack of talent. Scott Drew can't coach, but he sure can recruit. But I highly doubt he is leaving Baylor w/ his recruiting class coming in.

What about Billy Gillespie? Not like he's doing anything. You'd probably see him hammered drunk at the Summit from time to time trying pulling a Larry Eustachy but at least he's a functional alkey.

Phobia
03-16-2010, 03:38 AM
I watched about 3 minutes of the Big Ten tournament when Iowa played Michigan. What I witnessed was both shocking and disappointing. At one time, there were 4 white guys wearing black and gold on the court. It was right then that I knew it was a major coaching strategic error. I mean, they're not exactly Utah, right? Why even show up if you're just going to mail it in like that? Four white guys... That won't even get you an invite to the NIT.

tymania
03-16-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm sure they'll go full-throttle after Bruce Pearl. But if they don't, Danny Manning is a guy that I would love to see take over the program. And man, that's a program that needs some serious rebuilding.

Bruce Pearl really? i doubt that is even an option.. i would be happy with Dana Altman (creighton) or Keno Davis(Tom Davis's son) he coached Drake that one year they were really good.. but those are the type of guys that Iowa will go after IMO.

tymania
03-16-2010, 06:53 AM
And part of the reason, not all of it, but part of the reason iowa is horrible is because we lost Tyler Smith and Jake Kellly to transfers...
Oh yea and we had Todd Lickliter's son starting for us at one point this season...:doh!:

TRR
03-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Iowa needs a coach that brings instant credibility, and can recruit hard. Iowa has been out-recruited by Northern Iowa in state ever since Doc Tom was forced out.

I'm a big IA hoops fan, but Lickliter brought a boring style of basketball to Carver, and never landed a big recruit in his short time at Iowa. Alford got some names in Carver, but had way too many issues off the court, including being an arrogant ass to nearly everyone in Iowa City.

Barta has to grab a "name" hire with outstanding credentials that is ready to establish himself as a coach that can turn a team around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
03-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Steve Alford has New Mexico in the Top 10. ROFL

Braincase
03-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Some guys can't make the translation from mid-major to BCS conferences. Lickliter is obviously one of those guys.

Reerun_KC
03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
I watched about 3 minutes of the Big Ten tournament when Iowa played Michigan. What I witnessed was both shocking and disappointing. At one time, there were 4 white guys wearing black and gold on the court. It was right then that I knew it was a major coaching strategic error. I mean, they're not exactly Utah, right? Why even show up if you're just going to mail it in like that? Four white guys... That won't even get you an invite to the NIT.

Coach Kawlekrouewiuraodfjski wants to see you in his office...

tymania
03-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Iowa needs a coach that brings instant credibility, and can recruit hard. Iowa has been out-recruited by Northern Iowa in state ever since Doc Tom was forced out.

I'm a big IA hoops fan, but Lickliter brought a boring style of basketball to Carver, and never landed a big recruit in his short time at Iowa. Alford got some names in Carver, but had way too many issues off the court, including being an arrogant ass to nearly everyone in Iowa City.

Barta has to grab a "name" hire with outstanding credentials that is ready to establish himself as a coach that can turn a team around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah i heard a few stories about Alford when i lived in IC... Pretty sure one of the stories I heard was right before he got fired.. his wife was throwing all his clothes and belongings in the front yard screaming at him.. LOLOL
FYI - Alford had like a 26 bedroom house somewhere in IC/coralville.. i cant remember all the details about the house but it was ridiculous for the IC area

Chief Henry
03-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Steve Alford has New Mexico in the Top 10. ROFL

Steve Alford also went to the mat for a kid on the Iowa basket ball team that anal raped a womens basketball player. The Pierce kid should have been kicked out of the school and his scholorship pulled. Iowa's AD should have over ruled that decision from day one.

Iowa basketball...meh

DMAC
03-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Steve Alford also went to the mat for a kid on the Iowa basket ball team that anal raped a womens basketball player. The Pierce kid should have been kicked out of the school and his scholorship pulled. Iowa's AD should have over ruled that decision from day one.

Iowa basketball...mehHe is still a hell of a coach. He brought our little SMSU team to the Sweet 16.

Dave Lane
03-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Iowa basketball...meh

Wow I bet that hurt. Was there any scarring?

Saulbadguy
03-16-2010, 08:17 AM

Iowa basketball...meh

The formula is pretty clear, if you want to win, you have to play dirty.

Chief Henry
03-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Wow I bet that hurt. Was there any scarring?

:spock:

BWillie
03-16-2010, 10:24 AM

Iowa basketball...meh

It was the main reason people hated Iowa basketball when I was in school. Because the SOME of the players and the coach were complete assholes, and then the players tended to rape well known co-eds on campus. That sure didn't help either.

Demonpenz
03-16-2010, 10:29 AM
hmmm weren't t hey just in the rose bowl?

Saulbadguy
03-16-2010, 10:31 AM
It was the main reason people hated Iowa basketball when I was in school. Because the SOME of the players and the coach were complete assholes, and then the players tended to rape well known co-eds on campus. That sure didn't help either.

Probably because they weren't very good, either.

:doh!:

Chief Henry
03-16-2010, 10:34 AM

Iowa basketball fans are fed up with all of it. Thus the 10,000 empty seats in a 17,000 seat arena.

From the way Dr. Tom was fired to prettyboy Alfords ducebaggery attitude towards fans, to Alfords coviting the anal rapist and allowing/wanting him to play and to keep his scholorship to players running the show and exciting the school.

The Iowa AD has his hands full in getting the right hire this time. Barta's
neck is on the line.

ChiTown
03-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Bruce Pearl really? i doubt that is even an option.. i would be happy with Dana Altman (creighton) or Keno Davis(Tom Davis's son) he coached Drake that one year they were really good.. but those are the type of guys that Iowa will go after IMO.

Keno is your man. Pearl isn't leaving the $EC for Iowa. Manning is destined to be an asst coach forever - he's great to trot around in front of recruits, but he's not HC material. Altman isn't going anywhere. I know Dana fairly well. He's so comfortable in that town, he could probably coach the team from his living room and no one would care. Iowa is as fucked up if not more so than what KSU was in the Asbury/Wooldridge years. A Program with decent tradition that was bogged down by ignoring hoops in lieu of football.

TRR
03-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Somehow they need to convince a guy like Bruce Pearl to come back to Iowa. He's a great recruiter, and runs an exciting program. Pearl could bring the fans back, and do it with an up tempo, exciting team.

The time is now for Pearl. You can only hope he feels the same way.
Posted via Mobile Device

tymania
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Somehow they need to convince a guy like Bruce Pearl to come back to Iowa. He's a great recruiter, and runs an exciting program. Pearl could bring the fans back, and do it with an up tempo, exciting team.

The time is now for Pearl. You can only hope he feels the same way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pearl would never leave tenn. for Iowa

Saulbadguy
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Agreed.

tymania
03-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I would put a bet on that Keno davis will be contacted and seriously considered for this position.. and would probably be his if he wanted it

Chief Henry
03-16-2010, 10:57 AM

It depends on how much cash Iowa is willing to drop at his feet. But I don't think it will happen.

BWillie
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Probably because they weren't very good, either.

:doh!:

I actually did a marketing research project for the athletic department when I was a student there, to see why people were dramatically decreasing their student attendance. Because the team wasn't THAT bad. They weren't good, but it didn't make sense to them why attendance was dropping off so rapidly.

Our research pointed to the #1 reason as most students hated or had an extremely unfavorable view of the players and coaches because of what they did around campus and how they treated people. It was a shock to me too, because before I went there I never really followed anything.

ChiTown
03-16-2010, 11:07 AM
It depends on how much cash Iowa is willing to drop at his feet. But I don't think it will happen.

Here's the thing, no matter how much cash Iowa comes up with, TN would probably match it. Then, it comes down to, why would he leave TN for Iowa. I think that ship has sailed, my man.

whoman69
03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
I didn't think they'd eat the contract, but clearly something was needed.