PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Well we know Lilja is a bad signing now

ChiefsCountry
03-16-2010, 02:26 PM
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1253

The Chiefs' best move
Adam Teicher

Most of their recent free agent signings have the potential to make the Chiefs a better team.

Thomas Jones could, if he hasn't hit the wall that so many over-30 running backs do. Shaun Smith could, if he listens to and is motivated by Romeo Crennel. Jerheme Urban could, if he can catch the ball more consistently than Bobby Wade. Casey Wiegmann could, if he can play for the Chiefs as he did his first time around.

No coulds about Ryan Lilja, though. He will make the Chiefs a better team, period.

Consider what he does for their offensive line. He fills the considerable gap at right guard and all of a sudden, that line doesn't look so shaky.

His intangibles are an even bigger plus for the Chiefs. Other than Mike Vrabel, who probably has no more than one season left in him, the Chiefs had no player who knew what it was like to be a major part of something special.

Thanks to Lilja's six seasons with the Colts, they do now. And Lilja, who signed a three-year deal, is no short-timer. He'll be 29 in October, so he should be a part of what Scott Pioli and Todd Haley are trying to build for years to come.

So while I like the Chiefs' first four outside free agent moves, they all come with qualifiers. We might be looking back at those guys next year as yet more Chiefs' free agent failures.

Not so with Ryan Lilja. This guy has winner written all over him.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
I hope the Colts fucked up. But what are the chances of it? Watch Lilja regress and Alleman shine. Holy shitballs, this place will go insane.

go bo
03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I hope the Colts ****ed up. But what are the chances of it? Watch Lilja regress and Alleman shine. Holy shitballs, this place will go insane.holy shitballs?

i like it!

Gonzo
03-16-2010, 02:33 PM
I hope the Colts fucked up. But what are the chances of it? Watch Lilja regress and Alleman shine. Holy shitballs, this place will go insane.
I could really see this happening...
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiTown
03-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The shitballs?

The Franchise
03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Lilja is in for a rude awakening when he has Cassel to protect instead of Peyton Manning.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
holy shitballs?

i like it!

Heh, I heard it somewhere. I can't claim it as my own.

Posted via Mobile Device

I don't want to be pessimistic. I really don't. But I'm a firm believer that Indy's front office knows EXACTLY what they're doing.

Mecca
03-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if he isn't good anymore...

How many players have the Colts walked away from that were good in their next stop?

Marcus Washington comes to mind, that's about it.

mcaj22
03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
If Alleman starts all 16 games for the Colts next season and makes something crazy like the Pro Bowl I'll probably give up watching the NFL.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2010, 02:39 PM
If Alleman starts all 16 games for the Colts next season and makes something crazy like the Pro Bowl I'll probably give up watching the NFL.

I'm not expecting that next year. But the year after? How long after the Colts originally took Lilja from us did he shine? There's history here.

bogey
03-16-2010, 02:41 PM

How many players have the Colts walked away from that were good in their next stop?

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

pkane
03-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Marshall Faulk with the Rams.

mcaj22
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm not expecting that next year. But the year after? How long after the Colts originally took Lilja from us did he shine? There's history here.

I agree with some of the logic in here though that when a team/Front Office like the Colts part with a guy there is usually a good reason. I don't have much hopes for Lilja, and I could see threads on here in two years about Andy Alleman doing well for Indy and not us.

OnTheWarpath15
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Marshall Faulk with the Rams.

They traded Faulk.

That's not "walking away."

raybec 4
03-16-2010, 02:44 PM

Marvin Harrison was.....oh nevermind.

Titty Meat
wrong team.

pkane
They traded Faulk.

That's not "walking away."

Whatever- Its pretty much the same thing as walking away from him.

RedThat
03-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Lots of "IF'S" in Teicher's blog.

The word "if" pretty much means "questionable".

Oh well, we are going to have to see how these moves pan out over time. The approriate thing to do is reserve your judgement till we actually see how these guys perform.

Huffman83
03-16-2010, 02:46 PM
You know guys we do have to consider that Alleman did not want to be in KC. He was traded here and probably had little to no option about it.

OnTheWarpath15
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Whatever- Its pretty much the same thing as walking away from him.

:spock:

Getting something in return, much less a high 2nd and 5th round pick isn't "walking away" from anyone.

Now, if you want to argue that the Rams got the better end of that deal, I'll listen.

But to claim that Indy let Marshall walk is ridiculous.

rockymtnchief
03-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Lilja is in for a rude awakening when he has Cassel to protect instead of Peyton Manning.

Yup, he's going to have to set the timer in his head to 5 seconds longer.

mcaj22
03-16-2010, 02:52 PM
I just looked at the box score of the 2006 Colts/Bears Super Bowl,

if you count Cato June/Nick Harper as being serviceable (for the Bucs and Titans) since they were on that Colts team but they are nowhere close to putting up the same numbers on their new teams. Everyone else that has since departed has been very bad or doesn't even have a roster spot on a team anymore (Marvin Harrison, Dominic Rhodes, etc etc). Once the Colts part with you there is a high chance you are a shadow of your former self as a good player.

The only argument seems to be Marshall Faulk but you could say he was before the Peyton Manning/Coaching staff they have now era anyway, as it was just being put into place when they parted with him I believe.

RedThat
03-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Didn't the Colts let Siragusa go a while back?

I thought he was key in opening up holes for Ray Lewis in Baltimore.

raybec 4
03-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Jeff fuckin George bitches....BOOM!

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Honestly it's not like you can think of any team that has more then a handful of players walk away and they become studs somewhere else.

mcaj22
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Didn't the Colts let Siragusa go a while back?

I thought he was key in opening up holes for Ray Lewis in Baltimore.

yea in 1996. Peyton Manning was still suckling on his mommys teet then.

mcaj22
03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Honestly it's not like you can think of any team that has more then a handful of players walk away and they become studs somewhere else.

I'm not saying studs but I have been seeing former Chiefs on Super Bowl teams the last couple years.

DaWolf
03-16-2010, 03:03 PM

I don't think anyone expects this guy to become a stud. If he can be solid, that's all I'm asking for. It really comes down to can the guy fit into the scheme you run. If so, he has a shot. If not, then it is a bad move. Remember, Wiegmann was a guy we signed from the Bears after they let him walk away because they wanted to give the snaps to someone else, and we benefited...

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Stokely has had a few solid years after leaving Indi.

Ralphy Boy
03-16-2010, 03:07 PM

Probably be easier to just become a Colts fan.

pkane
03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
:spock:

Getting something in return, much less a high 2nd and 5th round pick isn't "walking away" from anyone.

Now, if you want to argue that the Rams got the better end of that deal, I'll listen.

But to claim that Indy let Marshall walk is ridiculous.

I would say that the Rams did get the better end of the deal. NFL MVP, 3 time Off. player of the year, a super bowl. He was one of the most productive backs in the league during his time in STL.

ChiefGator
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
One mans trash is another mans treasure.

I think the fear here is more that one man's treasure (Colts) ends up being another man's trash (us). Or, since they let Lilja go, that one man's trash turns into another man's trash.

Uhh..

Lilja is overrated.

There...

BossChief
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
The Colts have been pretty good over time in talent evaluation...

EXCEPT FOR OLINEMEN

I have read through three Colts boards and all of them have one thing in common when they talked about Lilja: Polian cant evaluate offensive linemen for shit.

Other things that were pretty universal were that Lilja was their second best linemen -and- now that Howard Mudd is completely gone and retired, they are going to go with a bigger offensive line and blocking scheme and that doesnt fit a 290 pound guard.

The only place I read that he failed a physical was here. I didnt pay attention too much to that conversation, can someone link where it said he failed a physical for Indy?

pkane
03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
The Colts have been pretty good over time in talent evaluation...

EXCEPT FOR OLINEMEN

I have read through three Colts boards and all of them have one thing in common when they talked about Lilja: Polian cant evaluate offensive linemen for shit.

Other things that were pretty universal were that Lilja was their second best linemen -and- now that Howard Mudd is completely gone and retired, they are going to go with a bigger offensive line and blocking scheme and that doesnt fit a 290 pound guard.

The only place I read that he failed a physical was here. I didnt pay attention too much to that conversation, can someone link where it said he failed a physical for Indy?

I saw it on Rotoworld but it sounded more like just speculation.

I like the signing. I think it is an improvment.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=KC

DaneMcCloud
03-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I saw it on Rotoworld but it sounded more like just speculation.

I like the signing. I think it is an improvment.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=KC

It's NOT speculation and has been reported by more than one source.

:shake:

BossChief
03-16-2010, 03:47 PM
It's NOT speculation and has been reported by more than one source.

:shake:
then show me a factual link please, because three colts boards dont know anything about it.

Im not saying you are wrong, just that I want to see it with my own eyes.

Fish
03-16-2010, 03:51 PM

Yeah.... I can envision the conversation between them the <strike>first</strike> <strike>second</strike> <strike>third</strike> <strike>fourth</strike> twenty fifth time Cassel holds the ball too long and gets sacked...

"WTF Matt? Peyton would have thrown 3 TDs in the time it took you to make that 7 step drop."

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Hamas said he sucks green donkey dicks so I gotta go with that.

ChiefsCountry
03-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Teicher liking this move means he will suck donkey balls.

RedThat
03-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Teicher liking this move means he will suck donkey balls.

What makes you say that? Is it because a lot of times when Teicher comments on something it turns out to be the opposite?

BarrySPAMAID
03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I hate that Teicher likes this move. I like that Babb likes this move, and I think we can all agree that having a solid competition at RG is going to be awesome. You will have Lilja, Neiswanger, and Colin Brown all competing for RG in camp. Talk about addressing a serious position of need!!

T-post Tom
03-16-2010, 07:56 PM
I hope the Colts ****ed up. But what are the chances of it? Watch Lilja regress and Alleman shine. Holy shitballs, this place will go insane.

neva gonna happen... Herm & Carl are gone, bro. :D

Mecca
03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Competition means nothing when everyone sucks or someone is going to play no matter what...see Mike Goff and Mike Brown.

Easy 6
03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
He must surely somehow suck if we signed him, this does not amount to anything noteworthy.../Planet

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Good. Will you please give up posting here too ?

boogblaster
03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe he's lost something but he'll still out-play anything we had on the OL ....

MoreLemonPledge
03-16-2010, 08:29 PM
He must surely somehow suck if we signed him, this does not amount to anything noteworthy.../Planet

http://sunshineanddesign.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/james-joyce-this-this-and-this1.jpg

milkman
03-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Competition means nothing when everyone sucks or someone is going to play no matter what...see Mike Goff and Mike Brown.

Well I'd agree.

However, I was pretty pleased with the potential that Brown showed last preseason at RG, so it's very possible, in this case at least, that competition will actually mean something.

I personally think that Lilja is signed as insurance and depth.

chiefzilla1501
03-16-2010, 09:09 PM
The move isn't bad, but who plays where? Will they move Waters to RG?

I think Lilja is a step above serviceable, which is okay. It's a good signing. Hopefully it's not expected to be a long-term answer.

MoreLemonPledge
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
The move isn't bad, but who plays where? Will they move Waters to RG?

I think Lilja is a step above serviceable, which is okay. It's a good signing. Hopefully it's not expected to be a long-term answer.

I'm sure Lilja will be asked to play RG. I don't see them moving Waters at this point.

Rausch
03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Maybe he's lost something but he'll still out-play anything we had on the OL ....

Yup...

Extra Point
03-16-2010, 10:33 PM
http://sunshineanddesign.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/james-joyce-this-this-and-this1.jpg

Oh, yeah, and this.

LiL stumppy
03-16-2010, 11:13 PM

Huh? Atleast Cassel doesn't fall to th ground when nudged by a DL.

Hammock Parties
03-16-2010, 11:18 PM
He couldn't pass a physical and yet suddenly he's the second coming of Will Shields the way this reads.