PDA

View Full Version : Life have you ever had pneumoina What does it feel like?

Gracie Dean
03-16-2010, 06:14 PM
I have this really bad cough and severe pain under my right side rib cage and a little wheezing. I have the pain most of the time now so I suspected it to be just part of the Crohn's. But today, the cough started and the pain worsened.

Being on Chemo, this is a risk. The docs have told me to call them when I suspect infection but heck they would have me calling them every other day

I just don't know when to pull the trigger and call the doc.

So if you have had pneumonia, tell me your symptoms, what did you feel.

and Gosucks...save your breath :)

Bane
03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Could be bronchitis.My pneumonia symptoms were as follows.
Difficulty breathing,cough,fever,nausea,body aches and excess pain when exhaling.

Gracie Dean
03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I have had some cold chills / hot sweats but that too is nothing new.

It is hard to know what is normal or not anymore.

luv
03-16-2010, 06:21 PM
If your docs told you to call them if you suspected anything, why are you calling on us now that you suspect something?

Sully
03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
It was the worst I've felt in my life. In addition to all the symptoms mentioned above, I couldn't walk 5 feet without feeling like I'd run a marathon.

Gracie Dean
03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
If your docs told you to call them if you suspected anything, why are you calling on us now that you suspect something?

because it could just very well be a smokers cough or the fact that hubby slept with the window open.

As I said, I get all kinds of symptoms and I coudl call them every day if I were that hypocrondrial. But, this feels a bit different. I have never had pnemonia before so I wondered what the symptoms were before I get all jumpy.

mlyonsd
03-16-2010, 06:31 PM
In addition to all the symptoms mentioned above, I couldn't walk 5 feet without feeling like I'd run a marathon.

Especially this.

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
It was the worst I've felt in my life. In addition to all the symptoms mentioned above, I couldn't walk 5 feet without feeling like I'd run a marathon.

Kind of like I felt after Osama was elected.

luv
03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
When I had pneumonia, I literally didn't feel like sitting up. But, if I laid down, I'd cough like crazy. I don't remember the physical symptoms beyond that because they all blended together into a week of misery. If you think you have it, it's best to call your doctors so they can start you on medicine. The earlier the better.

Bane
03-16-2010, 06:38 PM
When I had pneumonia, I literally didn't feel like sitting up. But, if I laid down, I'd cough like crazy. I don't remember the physical symptoms beyond that because they all blended together into a week of misery. If you think you have it, it's best to call your doctors so they can start you on medicine. The earlier the better.

As long as I stayed somewhat still I was fine,but when I got up to do anything it just shot through me like needles.It was truly awful and I hope to never have it again.

Gracie Dean
03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

See you all made me calm down, I am thinking it might be more like bronchitis (which will have to be treated) I don't have the fatigue like that. But again, the fatigue I have from the Crohn's is always there anyway.

Duck Dog
03-16-2010, 07:02 PM
I've had it several times and I've been hospitalized with it twice. You need an xray.

Gracie Dean
03-16-2010, 07:10 PM
I've had it several times and I've been hospitalized with it twice. You need an xray.

Will call my doc tomorrow if I still feel bad

BigOlChiefsfan
03-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Your chest pain is probably 'pleurisy', which happens when you've coughed so hard your lung pulled away from your ribs (BTDT). The real indicator on pneumonia - for me - has always been the exhaustion. You'll probably know it when you have it. If you're wheezing, there are a few things you can do for yourself - assuming these don't interfere w/your Crohn's. An 'anti-inflammtory' diet (google it) may not help as much as it doesn't pile on more woe on top of what you've got. Hot chile pepper and ginger, for instance - so hot, spicy soup w/garlic is 'medicine' for stuff like this. It'll help open your head and chest.
Vitamin D3 and fish oil both help asthma/resp. problems, long term and if you're not taking them, see if your doc approves (he probably won't know much about them, they don't have attractive salesladies touting them at his office/conventions). OTC Mucinex or a generic will make the 'goo' get foamy and make it easier to get rid of it. I sit in a recliner rather than lay in bed - the slight incline helps keep that goo from pooling up as you lay on your back. IF you have helpers around, about once an hour sit up and ask them to pound lightly on your back to break up that 'pooled goo' if you feel it sitting in.

Be well, this stuff sucks mightily.

bevischief
03-16-2010, 07:20 PM

No you don't if your dr is worth anything.

Bane
03-16-2010, 07:21 PM

:thumb:
rep

bevischief
03-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Difficulty breathing,coughing and can't catch your breath. If you think you have problems go see your dr. I have both during the summer...

BigRedChief
03-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Is the phlem green? If so get your azz to the doctor immediately. Don't fool around. I've had too many people die on me while I'm doing chest compressions on them due to pneumonia because they waited to long to come in to a doctor. If a normal healthy person has it get into their system from their lungs, they are in some serious trouble. With you taking chemo....comeon don't try to "tough it out". You could be gambling with your life.

Move around. Pneumonia starts because the person doesn't move around and the phlem stays in one place and those pnemonia bugs love that stagnant lung fluid. Thats why they have you do the incentive spiromentry(you breathe in and keep the ball floated) in the hospital.

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Is the phlem green? If so get your azz to the doctor immediately. Don't fool around. I've had too many people die on me while I'm doing chest compressions on them due to pneumonia because they waited to long to come in to a doctor. If a normal healthy person has it get into their system from their lungs, they are in some serious trouble. With you taking chemo....comeon don't try to "tough it out". You could be gambling with your life.

Move around. Pneumonia starts because the person doesn't move around and the phlem stays in one place and those pnemonia bugs love that stagnant lung fluid. Thats why they have you do the incentive spiromentry(you breathe in and keep the ball floated) in the hospital.

Great signature, what are you doing with it?

Gracie Dean
03-16-2010, 07:38 PM

OH, I had to do that my last hospital stay. I am going to see if I can find it and see what level it is at. Thank you

I am calling in the morning.

BigRedChief
03-16-2010, 07:44 PM
OH, I had to do that my last hospital stay. I am going to see if I can find it and see what level it is at. Thank you

I am calling in the morning.The point is to keep the ball in the middle of the graph, not to get it all the way to the top. You need to keep the small aveoli(little parts of the lungs) open and fluid moving. Keeping the ball in the middle accomplishes that much better.

ClevelandBronco
03-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Great signature, what are you doing with it?

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/MasterThespian.jpg

Gracie Dean
03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
The point is to keep the ball in the middle of the graph, not to get it all the way to the top. You need to keep the small aveoli(little parts of the lungs) open and fluid moving. Keeping the ball in the middle accomplishes that much better.

thank you for reminding me!

The phlem is almost green but not there yet. I am definitely calling the doc in the morning.

Okay, so the numbers go from 0-4000 and I am hitting around 1000

BigRedChief
03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Great signature, what are you doing with it?We probably have more in common than you think.

BigRedChief
03-16-2010, 08:06 PM

The phlem is almost green but not there yet. I am definitely calling the doc in the morning.Get a white cell count in the am and get on the anti-botics. You only have 1 type of anti-botic standing between you and a middle ages type of personal bubonic palgue. Your in chemo with green phlem. Your life is in danger, treat it like it is. You'll be fine as soon as the anti-botics get started.

BigRedChief
03-16-2010, 08:09 PM

The phlem is almost green but not there yet. I am definitely calling the doc in the morning.

Okay, so the numbers go from 0-4000 and I am hitting around 1000You'll see a couple of lines in the cyclinder on the left. Take a deep as breath as possible while keeping the ball in between those two lines. Do 10 breaths every hour, at least.

Gracie Dean
03-16-2010, 08:19 PM
You'll see a couple of lines in the cyclinder on the left. Take a deep as breath as possible while keeping the ball in between those two lines. Do 10 breaths every hour, at least.

yup, that is what i am doing.

Thank you

You guys are awesome

MoreLemonPledge
03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
A cough so bad you never want to cough again, extreme fatigue, and a constant chill.

I've had pneumonia twice and it really sucks.

Duck Dog
03-16-2010, 09:43 PM

My doctor works for the Mayo clinic. If you want to know for sure you'll get an xray. I don't care who your doctor is, he can't see your lungs without one.

Gracie Dean
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Bronchitis.

X ray was a little bothersome, but not pnemonia!!!

Again Dr. says to STOP smoking!! But I can't take Chantix because it causes gut issues sigh

Bill Lundberg
03-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Bronchitis.

X ray was a little bothersome, but not pnemonia!!!

Again Dr. says to STOP smoking!! But I can't take Chantix because it causes gut issues sigh

Have you tried hypnosis? It has worked for more than one of my friends.

KC2004
03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
I had double pneumoina when i was a kid. Lived in a tent for awhile. it sucked.

Gracie Dean
03-17-2010, 09:12 PM
I had double pneumoina when i was a kid. Lived in a tent for awhile. it sucked.

Scary I am sure. For both you and your parents.

rtmike
03-17-2010, 10:35 PM
I've only had it one time. All I remember was the nasty stuff I coughed up.

I also had a urinary tract infection. The combination of the two triggered autonomic dysreflexia (paralyzed folks get this) causing two strokes, putting me in a coma for 5 days.
Pneumonia is some nasty stuff.

Hope you get to feeling better, besides the bronchitis too.

Duck Dog
03-18-2010, 07:26 AM
I've only had it one time. All I remember was the nasty stuff I coughed up.

I also had a urinary tract infection. The combination of the two triggered autonomic dysreflexia (paralyzed folks get this) causing two strokes, putting me in a coma for 5 days.
Pneumonia is some nasty stuff.

Hope you get to feeling better, besides the bronchitis too.

Good Lawd. I hope you're better too.