PDA

View Full Version : News Drunk, high dad leaves baby in oven overnight, police say

T-post Tom
03-17-2010, 01:05 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/CRIME/03/16/kentucky.oven.baby/story.larry.long.mcj.jpg

Drunk, high dad leaves baby in oven overnight, police say

(CNN) -- A Kentucky man high on marijuana and drunk on whiskey put his 5-week-old son in the oven Sunday and left him there overnight, police said.

The oven door was slightly ajar, and the oven was not turned on.

After smoking marijuana at the restaurant where he works as a cook, Larry Long, 33, returned home to share a fifth of whiskey with the baby's mother, Brandy Hatton, McCracken County Sheriff Jon Hayden said in a statement.

Hatton had four or five shots and went to bed while Long finished the bottle, Hayden said.

At 5:30 the next morning, Hatton awoke to the sound of the baby's cries coming from the oven. He had been in it for several hours, police said.

Emergency crews responding to the scene transported the infant to a local hospital, where he was found to be unharmed.

The incident was reported to authorities by a psychiatric facility that Long turned to when he learned what he had done, officials said.

"He actually called a mental health crisis line immediately thereafter and told them that he had done this. And they contacted us," Hayden said.

Police arrested Long and charged him with first degree wanton endangerment. He is being held on bail of $10,000.

Long blamed his actions on the marijuana, which he believes was laced with a hallucinatory agent, officials said.

Authorities have removed the baby from its mother's care and awarded emergency custody to members of her family.

Look familiar anyone? :) j/k Glad the little one wasn't hurt.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/16/kentucky.oven.baby/index.html

Joie
03-17-2010, 01:15 AM
OMG. Parents of the freaking year.

Pushead2
03-17-2010, 01:31 AM
shocking on how stupid humans can be...,

big nasty kcnut
03-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Time to put that guy in a real oven and turn it on and leave him there to die.

Otter
03-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Mecca you bastard!

T-post Tom
03-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Mecca you bastard!

we have a winner. well played.

Pushead2
03-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Time to put that guy in a real oven and turn it on and leave him there to die.

ding! ding!

Fairplay
03-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Thank God he was to stoned to remember to turn on the stove.

teedubya
03-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Fuckin Travis Tritt lookalikes.

Dante84
03-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Well Ah' smell T-H-E-B-A-B-YYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Dante84
03-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Ah' said hey!

Jewish Rabbi
03-17-2010, 02:27 AM
No wonder Mecca used to have this as his avatar.

http://www.layoutlocator.com/graphics/dldimg/b99b8ba02e182add07d0215d12a43e33_burt_eating_baby-3383.gif

Rausch
03-17-2010, 03:53 AM
This type of dumbass is common...

SenselessChiefsFan
03-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Am I the only one that is at least encouraged by the fact that he reached out to someone after this? Hopefully, this is a life altering event for him, and he gets clean. I know he didn't call the cops himself, but he reached out. He clearly felt a ton of remorse and guilt for what he had done. I don't think he had any intentions of hurting the baby.

I just pray that he gets himself clean and sober.

Bane
03-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Am I the only one that is at least encouraged by the fact that he reached out to someone after this? Hopefully, this is a life altering event for him, and he gets clean. I know he didn't call the cops himself, but he reached out. He clearly felt a ton of remorse and guilt for what he had done. I don't think he had any intentions of hurting the baby.

You may not be the only one but I can't share your opinion.I have just about lost all faith in the human race.At least the part of it that makes decisions like this one,or those that make excuses for sick fukks like this.

Hydrae
03-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Folks, this is not the result of the pot. He got stoned at work then went home and drank most of a 5th of whiskey. I am quite sure that by the time the mother had several shots of her own and then went to bed, the high from the pot was pretty well gone. If he was that ****ed up on the pot, how did he function enough to have gotten home? This is the result of getting drunk off his ass, not the from the marijuana he smoked a couple of hours earlier.

DMAC
03-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Larry Long, 33, is charged with first degree wanton endangerment.If we keep mistaking babies for wontons, this is going to be a common thing.

JD10367
03-17-2010, 07:45 AM
The "Meat Loaf" look always leads to trouble.

BTW, I'm always looking for recipe suggestions. Bake or broil? Which rack of the oven? What temp setting? What do you use for stuffing?

Frazod
03-17-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm not sure what's dumber - putting junior in the oven in the first place or discovering that you put junior in the oven and TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT IT.

:spock:

rockymtnchief
03-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Wrong way to make baby back ribs, dipshit.

Old Dog
03-17-2010, 07:52 AM

I'm with you. I'm NOT DEFENDING THE DUMB SONOFABITCH OR HIS ACTIONS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM but here's to hoping he learns from a situation that could have had a very tragic ending, but thankfully did not.

CoMoChief
03-17-2010, 07:56 AM
How is this bad? The oven wasn't turned on.

Negative feedback in 3...2...1....

thecoffeeguy
03-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Really stupid people these days. It amazes me.

What I dont get is, where was the mother during this? 5 week old baby and she does not think it might need to be attended to during the night? I remember when my son was 5 weeks old, I would routinely get up in the night, just to check on him and make sure he was ok...

Some people should not be allowed to have kids.

Bane
03-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Really stupid people these days. It amazes me.

What I dont get is, where was the mother during this? 5 week old baby and she does not think it might need to be attended to during the night? I remember when my son was 5 weeks old, I would routinely get up in the night, just to check on him and make sure he was ok...

Some people should not be allowed to have kids.

:thumb:

milkman
03-17-2010, 08:08 AM

I agree with you.

There's no excuse for this kind of stupidity, and it could have had a far more tragic result, but the guy did show remorse and reached out.

MichaelH
03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
I once locked my infant son in our running car by accident one time. He was in the back in his car seat and I went back inside to get my wallet. I had to call my wife at work that was 20 miles away to come and open the car. I wasn't high or drunk, just young, stupid and in a hurry. I felt awful. I hope he feels much worse.

Dartgod
03-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Folks, this is not the result of the pot. He got stoned at work then went home and drank most of a 5th of whiskey. I am quite sure that by the time the mother had several shots of her own and then went to bed, the high from the pot was pretty well gone. If he was that ********************************ed up on the pot, how did he function enough to have gotten home? This is the result of getting drunk off his ass, not the from the marijuana he smoked a couple of hours earlier.
Exactly. He conveniently placed the blame on some pot "laced with a hallucinatory agent".

Sure buddy. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the entire fifth (minus 4 or 5 shots) that you drank.

This reminds me of a float trip I was on several years ago. This one girl that was in our group got violently ill after she smoked some pot that someone brought. To this day, her and her husband swear that the pot was laced "with something". Nevermind the fact that she was diabetic, had consumed a massive amount of beer and rarely smoked pot in the first place. The pot was laced. Sure it was. :rolleyes:

Bane
03-17-2010, 08:18 AM
I once locked my infant son in our running car by accident one time. He was in the back in his car seat and I went back inside to get my wallet. I had to call my wife at work that was 20 miles away to come and open the car. I wasn't high or drunk, just young, stupid and in a hurry. I felt awful. I hope he feels much worse.

I got my wife a puppy about 10 years ago,and stopped for gas on the way home.Got out,pumped the gas,went in and paid and he had jumped up on the window and somehow hit the door lock.:banghead: My keys were in the ignition.:cuss:
Anyhow it was an old truck and a wrecker/locksmith was gonna charge me $75 to come out and unlock it so I just knocked the window out and picked one up at a junk yard for $30 ROFL

Deberg_1990
03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
heh, it happens....ill never forget the time i left my kid in the oven...

gblowfish
03-17-2010, 08:53 AM
This was an actual bun in the oven.

KCKID58
03-17-2010, 08:53 AM
It's nothing more than a really bad case of the munchies.... It happens.

kepp
03-17-2010, 08:56 AM

If the guy has any sense at all (which seems a bit unlikely), then this is the kind of slap-in-the-face thing that should put him on the right road.

Katipan
03-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Look familiar anyone? :) j/k

lol

ChiTown
03-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Give the guy a break. Like this sort of shit never happens to you? Please! How many times have you guys dropped the kids off at the pool and actually gone back to fetch them? Exactly

:D

Fish
03-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Folks, this is not the result of the pot. He got stoned at work then went home and drank most of a 5th of whiskey. I am quite sure that by the time the mother had several shots of her own and then went to bed, the high from the pot was pretty well gone. If he was that ****ed up on the pot, how did he function enough to have gotten home? This is the result of getting drunk off his ass, not the from the marijuana he smoked a couple of hours earlier.

Fuck man... come on.... this is no place to go defending Mary Jane. This guy was an irresponsible dickhead that doesn't deserve children. The life of a 5 month old child was at stake here. And it sounds like the only thing you got out of the story was "Uhh uhh... pot doesn't do that..." That's not the point.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Kid's first words must have been USC sucks :)

Hydrae
03-17-2010, 09:32 AM
**** man... come on.... this is no place to go defending Mary Jane. This guy was an irresponsible dickhead that doesn't deserve children. The life of a 5 month old child was at stake here. And it sounds like the only thing you got out of the story was "Uhh uhh... pot doesn't do that..." That's not the point.

When the first several posts were basically blaming this on the pot, my response was reasonable.

Was this a bad thing that happened? Of course!
Was it due to smoking pot a couple of hours earlier? Doubtful at best.
Was it due to drinking most of a 5th of whiskey while being responsible for a 5 month old? DING DING DING

Put the blame where it belongs.

Fish
03-17-2010, 09:49 AM
When the first several posts were basically blaming this on the pot, my response was reasonable.

Was this a bad thing that happened? Of course!
Was it due to smoking pot a couple of hours earlier? Doubtful at best.
Was it due to drinking most of a 5th of whiskey while being responsible for a 5 month old? DING DING DING

Put the blame where it belongs.

The blame belongs on the father. If you can call him that. It doesn't make a shit bit of difference what the major influence was, he shouldn't have been doing either one. But all you're trying to do is defend pot. And you don't know whether the guy had 20 bong hits or one puff. The fact that he drove home doesn't rule that out at all.

Whether the article is incorrect or not about pot being the overwhelming factor, you're totally missing the point. Pothead.

Lzen
03-17-2010, 09:55 AM

I was thinking this, too.

Lzen
03-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Kc Fish,
I wouldn't call him the father. Sperm donor is probably more accurate.

This isn't about just pot or just alcohol. It's obviously about some idiot that has a substance abuse problem. At least he realized this and perhaps is on the right path to recovery.

LaChapelle
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
"OH MY GOD MY BABY IS IN A COLD OVEN. CALL 9-11!"
I suspect meth

38yrsfan
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Hope the cops checked out the other appliances while they were there........

bowener
03-17-2010, 01:40 PM
OMG. Parents of the freaking year.

Well, FWIW, at least this baby didn't die. That's got to put them head and shoulders above a lot of the other candidates for Parent of the year... not saying much though.

bowener
03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Maybe he didn't have a crib. I just remembered that some people put their babies in drawers with pillows and such... maybe this was the best he had to offer.

vailpass
03-17-2010, 01:43 PM
You can't blame behavior like that on weed. There is something a lot deeper going on there.

MOhillbilly
03-17-2010, 01:46 PM
someone put my cat in the freezer when i was drunk.

Jilly
03-17-2010, 02:02 PM
There's no excuse. I'm glad the baby is ok. I'm glad that he didn't turn the oven on. I'm thankful he reached out for help after this. I don't think some people deserve to have children. All that being said, I've learned after becoming a mother to think twice about my actions before I make them. I've learned not to have that third beer, even if I want it. I've learned that even if I think my baby is safe for the night, that it's unfair to give her less than my best in the morning when she wakes up. I've learned that while a few hours of drunkenness may be super fun, it isn't worth not being able to fully engage in my daughter's life the next day. That's just part of the sacrifice of to have the blessing of being a parent.

now if she's spending the night at MiMi's then ok!

Mr. Plow
03-17-2010, 02:04 PM
someone put my cat in the freezer when i was drunk.

ROFL

Pussy is a dish best served.....cold.

Jilly
03-17-2010, 02:05 PM
ROFL

I think some people would disagree here.

Mr. Plow
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
I think some people would disagree here.

I would too, but it didn't go with the one liner.

MOhillbilly
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
ROFL

poor bastard. i got up the next mornin to smoke and called for him. I hear this meowing behind me. Little guy was cold but alive and made a full recovery. If i ever find out who it was ill kill em.

pretty sure it was me who put the cat in the freezer. I dunno why.

FAX
03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Hmmm.

I know that some people (poor ones) in olden days of yore (and possibly earlier than that), used to place an infant in a dresser drawer to sleep. I'm not sure how this is all that different. Except for the possibility of gas leaking into the oven, of course. That would be bad. Otherwise, it seems like a nice, cozy place for an infant.

FAX

Mr. Plow
03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
poor bastard. i got up the next mornin to smoke and called for him. I hear this meowing behind me. Little guy was cold but alive and made a full recovery. If i ever find out who it was ill kill em.

While not the same, I kind of know what you are talking about. My 2 year old will sometimes grab the cat - knowing she will get in trouble and hearing mom/dad coming - she will put him into a random dresser drawer and shut it. Cat doesn't mind it for the first couple hours, but after awhile you hear this very faint "meow" and the search and rescue begins.

MOhillbilly
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
While not the same, I kind of know what you are talking about. My 2 year old will sometimes grab the cat - knowing she will get in trouble and hearing mom/dad coming - she will put him into a random dresser drawer and shut it. Cat doesn't mind it for the first couple hours, but after awhile you hear this very faint "meow" and the search and rescue begins.

Id have a cat now but my 5 year old would eat it. She doesnt like cats, or anything with fur really. Kinda nasty little bitch to be honest.

vailpass
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
ROFL

Haven't you heard? Necrophilia is dead.

SDChiefs
03-17-2010, 02:51 PM

I remember one time, my friends and I were high and drunk and we couldn't find the TV remote. Next day my GF found it in the freezer. What the hell was going through our heads to put the remote in the freezer?

el borracho
03-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Hmmm.

I know that some people (poor ones) in olden days of yore (and possibly earlier than that), used to place an infant in a dresser drawer to sleep. I'm not sure how this is all that different. Except for the possibility of gas leaking into the oven, of course. That would be bad. Otherwise, it seems like a nice, cozy place for an infant.

FAX

I don't think they had vanities and such in the days of yore. You're probably thinking of yesteryear.

el borracho
03-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Maybe the dad was doing an interactive, theatrical production of Hansel and Gretel.

el borracho
03-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Maybe the dad was doing an interactive, theatrical production of Hansel and Gretel.
Hansel... so hot right now. Hansel.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GsPAKwiB9uA/SZP4CBOrixI/AAAAAAAAABg/LFgave9kxBg/s320/mugatu.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2010, 07:17 PM
"I'm a raging idiot, redneck, dipshit. But it has to be the pot."

Fuck you shit head. Sometimes a retard is just a retard.

Over-Head
03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Haven't you heard? Necrophilia is dead.
Damn, means Goatboy can't stop by the city morgue after work and suck back a coupla a cold ones anymore huh? He'll be hart broke :D

KC2004
03-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Im about half drunk and thinking about roastin the kids. Well never mind they come in handy at tax season! =p

Lzen
03-17-2010, 08:03 PM
ROFL

You're into necrophilia? Sick bastard.

Ebolapox
03-17-2010, 08:16 PM
a modest proposal, says me.