PDA

View Full Version : Life Study Finds 'Green' Consumers Are Mean Consumers

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 11:40 AM
All I have to say is this is sooooooo true. Some of the rudest people I have ever met in my life I met at Whole Foods. The parking lot is filled with hit and run verbal assaults. People will try and cut in front of you in line no matter how big you are. There is a whole class of self riteous people out there that even goes beyond the green consumer and I think we all know who they are. I will just leave it at that.

http://cbs5.com/consumer/mean.green.consumers.2.1566898.html

Study Finds 'Green' Consumers Are Mean Consumers
Environment & The Green BeatSAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1
Environmentally-friendly products.
CBS

numSlides of totalImages According to a study published in the Journal of Physiological Science, being green makes you mean. Researchers found people who purchase eco-friendly "green" products are more likely to lie, cheat, and steal.

In the experiment, 156 college students were given money to spend on either green or traditional products. Then they were given opportunities to cheat, lie & steal, or share.

When, on the honor system, subjects were asked to take their earnings from an envelope, those socially-conscious green product buyers were 6-times more likely to steal. When given the opportunity to split some of their gifted money with someone else, those environmentally aware consumers didn't share.

Researches call the phenomenon the "halo of green consumerism." When people feel they've been morally virtuous, by saving the planet with their purchases, it leads to what physiologists call "moral balancing" or compensatory ethics. In other words, they've done something good, so now they don't have to be so good.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I believe it. I live in the self righteous, I mean green capital of the world.

Bane
03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
So what makes all the"green freaks" so goddamn pissy?

notorious
03-17-2010, 11:51 AM

Wouldn't you be pissy if your new "Green" low-flow toilet is unable to choke down your whole-grain fueled power dumps?

ModSocks
03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
I believe it as well. It's that, "im so much more sophisticated than you because I go green" mentality. My nieghbors have that mentality.

That snobby, liberal, self righteous bullshit. Trust me, there's a lot of it here in SD.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 11:53 AM

Read the last paragraph. Anyone who has spent any time at all an organic grocer will know exactly what they are referring to.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Read the last paragraph. Anyone who has spent any time at all an organic grocer will know exactly what they are refering to.

Yeah, we had a food co op across the street from an old employer who sold nothing but organic foods. The fucking assholes that went into that place.........

And BD is right, they don't give a fuck how big you are, there is no fear at all. I'm a nice guy, but when that shit goes down I give them a reason to consider their options the next time. I have no problem creating a big, ass scene in public if someone has just blatantly disrespected me.

Lumpy
Dear hippies,

Go hug an aids tree! TIA /CP

raybec 4
My company makes a solar line of water heaters and pumps these customers are the biggest bunch of bitch ass panzies ever. I know we make a lot of cash on them but I wish we could just drop the entire line.

BIG_DADDY
I believe it as well. It's that, "im so much more sophisticated than you because I go green" mentality. My nieghbors have that mentality.

That snobby, liberal, self righteous bullshit. Trust me, there's a lot of it here in SD.

The people with the coexist bumper stickers. LMAO Yep

Silock
03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, at least I wasn't imagining things.

The Franchise
03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.hybridcars.com/files/imagecache/article_lead_image/files/graphics/south-park-smug-313.gif

THANKS!!!

Fish
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
In the experiment, 156 college students....

This probably has more to do with the "asshole" factor than the green theme.

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Hehe, Penn & Teller had a great BS episode on "The Organic Food Myth"

It was awesome. They did blind taste tests on all the hippy greenies and ~90% preferred the flavor of the food not grown by an organic producer.

They then cut a banana in half and marked one half as organic, the other as "non-organic", then had the people test. It was hilarious seeing them cringe and make "ooh gross" faces when they ate the "non-organic half", then light up and make "mmmm yummy!" faces when they ate the half marked "organic". :D

Turns out "organic" farming is less efficient, requires more resources, and uses more dangerous pesticides. People still line up to pay twice as much for it because they have bought into the myth that "Organic" label = "more natural and therefore better for you".

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, we had a food co op across the street from an old employer who sold nothing but organic foods. The ****ing assholes that went into that place.........

And BD is right, they don't give a **** how big you are, there is no fear at all. I'm a nice guy, but when that shit goes down I give them a reason to consider their options the next time. I have no problem creating a big, ass scene in public if someone has just blatantly disrespected me.

Parking lots are priceless. Long honk followed by screaming and cussing then hitting the gas so they don't get their ass kicked. Doesn't matter that you were letting an old lady cross with her bag of groceries.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 12:01 PM

It was awesome. They did blind taste tests on all the hippy greenies and ~90% preferred the flavor of the food not grown by an organic producer.

They then cut a banana in half and marked one half as organic, the other as "non-organic", then had the people test. It was hilarious seeing them cringe and make "ooh gross" faces when they ate the "non-organic half", then light up and make "mmmm yummy!" faces when they ate the half marked "organic". :D

Turns out "organic" farming is less efficient, requires more resources, and uses more dangerous pesticides. People still line up to pay twice as much for it because they have bought into the myth that "Organic" label = "more natural and therefore better for you".

Whatever. I eat organic period unless I don't have a choice. I'll just deal with the rude people. Farmers markets are already opening. Can't wait.

Bane
03-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't you be pissy if your new "Green" low-flow toilet is unable to choke down your whole-grain fueled power dumps?

:clap:

blaise
03-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Paying twice a much for groceries probably does make you pretty pissy.

Donger
03-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Is this a self-loathing thread?

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Whatever. I eat organic period unless I don't have a choice. I'll just deal with the rude people. Farmers markets are already opening. Can't wait.

Oh, fuck yeah! I love farmers markets and they are EVERYWHERE around here.

ModSocks
03-17-2010, 12:05 PM

I never understood why some of the health nuts were so ga-ga over organic. Isn't it the same damn food but supposedly minus the pesticides? I fail so see how it makes you any less of a fat ass to eat organic. Are pesticides packed with calories or some shit?

RJ
03-17-2010, 12:07 PM
I think the article/study misses its own point. These people aren't dishonest because they're "green". They're dishonest because they feel morally superior and justified. You might find the same results in a study of PETA members or church bake sale committees.

I base my opinion on personal observations over many years. People who think they are above others are often dishonest and deceitful, yet can easily rationalize their own behavior.

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
I never understood why some of the health nuts were so ga-ga over organic. Isn't it the same damn food but supposedly minus the pesticides? I fail so see how it makes you any less of a fat ass to eat organic. Are pesticides packed with calories or some shit?

Negative... organic uses pesticides as well. Turns out the synthetic pesticides used by "non-organic" producers are safer than the crap the organic guys spray.... and they DO spray. :D

CrazyPhuD
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM

It's the organic sand in the vag, it's twice as irritating as regular sand.

Personally I never see the point of organic foods. Inorganic foods are far better anyway.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 12:09 PM
I think the article/study misses its own point. These people aren't dishonest because they're "green". They're dishonest because they feel morally superior and justified. You might find the same results in a study of PETA members or church bake sale committees.

I base my opinion on personal observations over many years. People who think they are above others are often dishonest and deceitful, yet can easily rationalize their own behavior.

There is a whole class of these people. That was exactly my point. Coexist brother. LMAO

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Negative... organic uses pesticides as well. Turns out the synthetic pesticides used by "non-organic" producers are safer than the crap the organic guys spray.... and they DO spray. :D

OK Mr. Monsanto.

NewChief
03-17-2010, 12:11 PM

This is what happens when you get your information from Penn and Teller.

CrazyPhuD
03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Speaking of moral high ground, how many wars in history have been justified on religious grounds?

God help the world if we ever get an organic food eating, bible thumping president. 'Cause if we do you know someone's getting nuked.

Chiefnj2
03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Since when are 156 college students who were given free money a typical "green consumer"?

Why do I have the feeling that 90% of the kids who purchased junk food were stoned and simply suffered from short term memory loss when forgetting to steal money.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Exactly

NewChief
03-17-2010, 12:13 PM
OK Mr. Monsanto.

Speaking of:

http://blog.friendseat.com/monsanto-seed-monopoly/
Justice to Probe Monsanto Monopoly
by Spence Cooper on 03/17/10 at 8:41 am
« 1 2»

In January, the Justice Department launched a formal antitrust investigation of Monsanto’s genetically modified soybeans. In a follow-up move, on Friday, March 12, the Justice Department held the first of five so-called “workshops” in Ankeny, Iowa, to evaluate complaints about corporate monopoly in the seed, livestock and dairy industries by huge monoliths like Monsanto Co., Archer Daniels Midland Co., Dupont, and Tyson Foods Inc.
The remaining four workshops will be held at disclosed locations around the U.S, and will focus on poultry, dairy, livestock and discrepancies between farm and consumer prices.
Friday’s hearings — a standing-room-only gathering attended by farmers, academics, slaughterhouse workers, lobbyists, executives, corporate officials, labor and consumer groups — centered on Monsanto’s stranglehold on the seed industry and control of genetically engineered seed attributes inserted into virtually all U.S. crops. Farmers rightfully voiced concerns, claiming seed monopoly stifles competition, and has led to skyrocketing seed prices and crop price stagnation.
Four companies now process 80 percent of the beef consumed in the United States; Monsanto has unprecedented control of the corn and soybean market. Their Roundup Ready corn is now planted on nearly 80 percent of the farmland acreage in the U.S., and Monsanto’s soybeans, with their Roundup Ready gene, is in 93 percent of U.S. soybean seeds.
Also in attendance were Attorney General Eric Holder, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, Assistant Attorney General Christine Varney, and other Department of Justice and USDA officials. Varney recently filed a lawsuit in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, challenging Dean Foods’ 2009 acquisition of Foremost Farms USA’s consumer Products Division.
Government officials pledged an in-depth examination of noncompetitive practices in agriculture that are driving small farmers out of business, and promised to aggressively enforce antitrust laws. But Assistant Attorney General Christine Varney told reporters at the workshop she didn’t want to link her investigations to the workshop itself. “Just becoming more knowledgeable about how an industry works can lead to action,” she said.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Varney said she came up with the idea for the workshops a year ago during her nomination hearings, when Sen. Russ Feingold (D. Wis.) and other farm-state legislators complained the Bush administration permitted a merger wave among agricultural processors that undermined farmers. More than 15,000 people have submitted comments to the Justice Department on the workshops.
“We want everybody to have a fair shot,” said Holder. “Big is not necessarily bad, but big can be bad if power that comes from being big is misused. That is simply not something that this Department of Justice is going to stand for.”
“I’m here to tell you our current price discovery system for finished cattle and hogs is absolutely broken,” said Jim Foster, a hog producer from Montgomery city, Mo. “At least 90 percent of all market ready hogs are on the packer’s doorsteps with little competitive bidding.”
“What farmers need is opportunity that needs to be free of the corporations that control so much of the industry,” said Iowa farmer Ken Fawcett at the forum. “Corporations decide too much.”
American Antitrust Institute Vice President Diana Moss told Reuters there was no question that Monsanto enjoyed a monopoly in the seed business. “It is an inescapable fact,” Moss said, describing what she called an “illusion of choice.”
Monsanto and DuPont are suing each other over a biotech seed license, and both hired former Justice Department lawyers. “Monsanto’s seeds are so ubiquitous that they have become like AT&T’s telephone lines before the company’s 1984 breakup or Microsoft Corp.’s Windows operating system in the 1990s,” said James P. Denvir, an attorney who represents DuPont.
While Monsanto has promised to allow generic versions of its products to emerge, Denvir said he is unconvinced that will happen without government intervention.
Because Monsanto will lose royalties, the company is desperate to lure seedmakers and growers to use the newer Roundup Ready 2 version before the Roundup Ready 1 patent expires in 2014. DuPont suggests Monsanto is using incentives and penalties to switch the industry to the new product to extend their Roundup Ready monopoly.
Here is a DOJ docuement on some of the history behind Monsanto’s rise to power:

Bloomberg claims a person who asked not to be named said at least seven states are investigating many of the same claims, as well as whether Monsanto illegally offered rebates to distributors who limit sales of competing seed.
Jim Tobin, Monsanto’s vice president of industry affairs, said Roundup Ready gene has become the industry standard because farmers want it. Farmers could grow conventional soybeans, or choose from competing engineered traits offered by Monsanto’s rivals, he said.
Monsanto’s Roundup Ready soybean is genetically modified to survive their Roundup weedkiller. The seed enables farmers to chemically weed their fields without using other herbicides or tilling.
What farmers fear is that Monsanto will use their gene licenses to limit competition by making it difficult for them to use generic versions of genetically modified crops after the company’s patents expire.
Farmers would like to buy cheaper generic soybean seed, but won’t be able to if Monsanto doesn’t make the gene traits in its Roundup Ready 1 soybean seed available to other companies. Farmers also worry about how Monsanto will handle continued registration of those gene traits in foreign countries.
“Justice is clearly trying every way it can to see whether Monsanto is exceeding its rights under the patent,” said James Weiss, a Washington-based attorney at K&L Gates LLP who helped defend Microsoft against an antitrust probe. “At the end of the day, they may not be able to do much with it because of the scope of those patents. In almost all the cases, the courts come out on the side of intellectual property.”

In addition to Monsanto’s God-like reign over the seed industry, Monsanto has set loose on the world sinister creations like “Terminator” seeds that have only one growth cycle, requiring a seed purchase from Monsanto for every planting.
An even more chilling recent development is a study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences. Researchers found that 3 varieties of genetically modified corn, specifically Mon 86, insecticide-producing Mon 810, and Roundup® herbicide-absorbing NK 603, is linked to organ damage in rats.
These GM corns can be found in products such as animal feed, sweeteners and in thousands of products found in the grocery store.
IJBS study researchers wrote: “Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted. As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others. We therefore conclude that our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity….These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown.”
Monsanto has violated child labor laws, harassed small farmers around the country; and conspired with obedient mainstream media to suppress many of their products’ health risks. And Monsanto’s continuous denial of engaging in unfair monopolistic practices is simply laughable.
With their purchase of the Dutch breeding and seed company, De Ruiter Seeds, and their 2005 purchase of Seminis, Monstanto is the largest seed company on Earth, controlling 85 percent of the total market. And as mentioned above, their Roundup Ready gene is in 93 percent of U.S. soybean seeds.
We support President Obama’s Justice Department’s pledge of antitrust enforcement, and continuing probe of agribusiness monopolies. But actions speak louder than words. And unless farmers and the public see some real tangible moves on behalf of the Justice Department, these “workshops” will amount to nothing but a dog and pony show.

RJ
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
There is a whole class of these people. That was exactly my point. Coexist brother. LMAO

So it was. I read the article but not your opening. You've obviously known some of the same type folks that I have. When spending time among the self righteous I tend to keep one hand on my wallet, no matter what they are self righteous about.

Sure-Oz
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
It's the whole 'HULK SMASH!' thing

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM

Okay, so you don't watch the show. No biggie... just know this: THEY aren't the ones who provide the facts. They have experts in the field do that; P&T provide humor and framework for the show.

Watch it for yourself. Or don't. I really don't care :D

NewChief
03-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Okay, so you don't watch the show. No biggie... just know this: THEY aren't the ones who provide the facts. They have experts in the field do that; P&T provide humor and framework for the show.

Watch it for yourself. Or don't. I really don't care :D

I've done quite a bit of research on organic vs. non-organic. I actually have a pretty major problem with "big organic" at the moment. That being said, I'd need to see some scientific evidence that organic "sprays" are just as bad (in what way?) as pesticides and herbicides. It's not that I doubt that they said it, it's that I'd need to see the science to judge its validity for myself.

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Here you go: http://www.mnn.com/food/farms-gardens/blogs/penn-teller-wont-drink-organic-kool-aid

The show was hilarious and surprisingly informative.

I LOVED the taste test scenes. I especially enjoyed the granola chick going on and on about how the "organic" (it was just labeled as such, it wasn't really an organic banana) "just tasted more like a banana; you know? It tastes more like what a banana should taste like".

Fish
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Monsanto is one of the most evil corporations in America. Pure evil. They represent everything that's wrong with "Corporate America"....

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Well shit, the YouTube vids were pulled.

Looking for other non-pay sources (NOTE: you can buy the episode on Showtime's site :rolleyes:)

NewChief
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Here you go: http://www.mnn.com/food/farms-gardens/blogs/penn-teller-wont-drink-organic-kool-aid

I LOVED the taste test scenes. I especially enjoyed the granola chick going on and on about how the "organic" (it was just labeled as such, it wasn't really an organic banana) "just tasted more like a banana; you know? It tastes more like what a banana should taste like".

I don't doubt that the hippies on the show were complete idiots and that it was entertaining. I do doubt the scientific claims of the show.

Donger
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM

The wife tricked me a few years ago. She made a salad and let me dig into it. After the first bite, I looked up and said, "Man, this lettuce tastes great!" Turns out she bought a bunch of organic produce and used me a guinea pig.

We now get organic stuff delivered to the house three times a week.

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't doubt that the hippies on the show were complete idiots and that it was entertaining. I do doubt the scientific claims of the show.

Here's a piece on the show and links to the sources used: http://www.examiner.com/x-16072-Portland-Sustainable-Foods-Examiner~y2009m8d1-Sustainable-Foods-101-Are-Organic-Foods-BS

Decent journalism alert, the author also provides links that refute the claims. :thumb:

PhillyChiefFan
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Oh, **** yeah! I love farmers markets and they are EVERYWHERE around here.

I love the food at farmers markets, better prices, and I like the fact that I'm buying from local farmers.

My town is getting a new farmers market, and I guess the tables/booths filled up for the first 6 weeks in less than 2 days.

RJ
I do buy some organic fruits and vegetables but it has nothing to do with saving the planet or politics. Some of them just taste better.

NewChief
Here's a piece on the show and links to the sources used: http://www.examiner.com/x-16072-Portland-Sustainable-Foods-Examiner~y2009m8d1-Sustainable-Foods-101-Are-Organic-Foods-BS

Decent journalism alert, the author also provides links that refute the claims. :thumb:

Yeah, the nutritional study has been out for a while and is pretty heavily disputed. It was funded by Monsanto and other big farm interests... but that doesn't necessarily invalidate it. Here's a response, though that has tons of studies countering that single study:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_18702.cfm

Their argument about big organic, I completely agree with, and that's my primary problem with it at the present time. That's why I do most of my buying at the Farmer's Market and through CSAs.

I'm sure you're also aware that P&T are libertarians with an agenda and that they were relying upon scientists from Monsanto for their research.

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 12:35 PM
From the same souce: <a href="http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-16072-Portland-Sustainable-Foods-Examiner~y2009m7d12-Not-all-organic-at-the-farmers-market">what does "organic" really mean?</a>

Fact is if you go into a Wholefoods store you may very well be buying stuff that is as bad or worse than the "non-organic" stuff you're trying to avoid.

A Farmer's Market with the actual farmers who grew the produce is what you really want.... and then you need to find one that is actually "organic".

PhillyChiefFan
03-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Monsanto is one of the most evil corporations in America. Pure evil. They represent everything that's wrong with "Corporate America"....

I watched a documentary about what they are doing to farmers, and it made me sick.

The thing that is REALLY scary is that they can create seeds that are single generation. Meaning they won't produce any viable seeds for storage or for the following seasons.

How can you patent life?

Chiefnj2
03-17-2010, 12:36 PM
This is what you really want:

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 12:36 PM
I've done quite a bit of research on organic vs. non-organic. I actually have a pretty major problem with "big organic" at the moment. That being said, I'd need to see some scientific evidence that organic "sprays" are just as bad (in what way?) as pesticides and herbicides. It's not that I doubt that they said it, it's that I'd need to see the science to judge its validity for myself.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. 8 months out of the year I know exactly who is growing my food and how. I am set to buy a lot of meat this year in September from a great source. When I eventually upgrade houses in Oregon I will grow a lot of my own food no doubt. My problem now is I have a lot of huge trees in the back that look awesome, shade the house and backyard and save me a lot of money on the electricity.

Chiefnj2
03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
How can you patent life?

It seems that donations to politicians, lobbying, and subsidies work really well.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
From the same souce: <a href="http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-16072-Portland-Sustainable-Foods-Examiner~y2009m7d12-Not-all-organic-at-the-farmers-market">what does "organic" really mean?</a>

Fact is if you go into a Wholefoods store you may very well be buying stuff that is as bad or worse than the "non-organic" stuff you're trying to avoid.

A Farmer's Market with the actual farmers who grew the produce is what you really want.... and then you need to find one that is actually "organic".

Yes you actually have to know what you are buying and why at Whole Foods too. I don't think that is enlightning anyone. Soy is a great example.

PhillyChiefFan
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
It seems that donations to politicians, lobbying, and subsidies work really well.

Unfortunately, you are right.

It's scary.

PhillyChiefFan
03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
What also really made me sick is the corruption in the government agencies where former Monsanto VP's, board members and the like are heading them up.

Good thing the rest of DC is corruption free :D

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes you actually have to know what you are buying and why at Whole Foods too. I don't think that is enlightning anyone. Soy is a great example.

Obviously, it is enlightening... to A LOT of people. People assume "organic" label = "locally grown, pesticide-free" and that just isn't the case ;)

Fish
03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I watched a documentary about what they are doing to farmers, and it made me sick.

The thing that is REALLY scary is that they can create seeds that are single generation. Meaning they won't produce any viable seeds for storage or for the following seasons.

How can you patent life?

Yeah. They have literally destroyed small scale farming. And have caused the overall quality of foods to decline significantly, with prices going up more and more.

And the crazy thing about it is that 95% of people have no clue what Monsanto even is, let alone how much influence they have over the food we eat.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
What also really made me sick is the corruption in the government agencies where former Monsanto VP's, board members and the like are heading them up.

Good thing the rest of DC is corruption free :D

There is a ton of disinformation that is out. The only thing that is more mind boggling is the percentage of people that buy into it. I spent a large portion of my life helping people with their health/exercise/diet. I have changed a lot of peoples lives forever. What I have found is it always comes down to one thing, taking personal responsibility for your own health. Know what your eating, why you're eating it and where it came from. Study how your body works. Your exercise regiment should be something you are constantly working on improving. Before you take any medication you should study it first. You would think this is simple logical shit right? Wrong.

People don't want to do these things though. They want to believe that whatever their doctor tells them is in their best interest. They want to believe that whatever cheap food they stuff in their trap is just fine. They want to believe that working out one time with a certified trainer that completed some 90 day course somehow makes them an expert on training. If you tell them any different you get called all kinds of names and they start attacking your intelligence. It doesn't matter that the proof is in the pudding. They can be on their death bed with a whole laundry list of ailments and you can in perfect health it doesn't change a thing. They saw something on TV that agrees with their madness and that's what they're rolling with.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Obviously, it is enlightening... to A LOT of people. People assume "organic" label = "locally grown, pesticide-free" and that just isn't the case ;)

BIG ORGANIC is the next evil. Major corporations losing market share buying into the whole organic thing to pick business back up and get on the bandwagon. There was a line they used on Food Inc. at the end that I think is spot on. Every time you buy something you are voting for what you are willing to put up with. That is very, very true. We all need to spend a little more time becoming consumer conscious if we want real change.

Donger
03-17-2010, 01:15 PM
"Big Organic"

LMAO

King_Chief_Fan
03-17-2010, 01:16 PM

this!
I am amazed that any farmer can hang an organic sign on his pick up bed of veggies and watch morons line up thinking they are getting organic food. Keeping thinking your eating organic, you aint.
Ask your local veggie provider what makes his food organic. Then ask to see his/her organic certificate.

Demonpenz
03-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Wierd I call my Call my Dick the big Organic....

NewChief
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
this!
I am amazed that any farmer can hang an organic sign on his pick up bed of veggies and watch morons line up thinking they are getting organic food. Keeping thinking your eating organic, you aint.
Ask your local veggie provider what makes his food organic. Then ask to see his/her organic certificate.

Most Farmer's Market that are worth a shit have an organic certification program if they're going to have organic produce.

Chiefnj2
03-17-2010, 01:28 PM
this!

Ever since the government got a hold of "organic" labeling, the term doesn't mean anything anymore.

NewChief
03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
BIG ORGANIC is the next evil. Major corporations losing market share buying into the whole organic thing to pick business back up and get on the bandwagon. There was a line they used on Food Inc. at the end that I think is spot on. Every time you buy something you are voting for what you are willing to put up with. That is very, very true. We all need to spend a little more time becoming consumer conscious if we want real change.

Exactly. On top of that is the very scary lobbying power these people have. What they'll do is force organic licensing legislation that puts the small farmer out of business through onerous fees and such while allowing them to continue operating. They've already started trying to do this the NAIS.

fan4ever
03-17-2010, 01:29 PM

That was good...:D

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 01:30 PM
That was good...:D

lol
no doubt; did not see that originally

Bwana
03-17-2010, 01:34 PM
There is NOTHING worse that a bunch of dickweed tree huggers.

RJ
03-17-2010, 01:37 PM
There is NOTHING worse that a bunch of dickweed tree huggers.

Dickweed tree hugger Raider fans?

Bwana
03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Dickweed tree hugger Raider fans?

Well...........yeah. :D

Frazod
03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
All I have to say is this is sooooooo true. Some of the rudest people I have ever met in my life I met at Whole Foods. The parking lot is filled with hit and run verbal assaults. People will try and cut in front of you in line no matter how big you are. There is a whole class of self riteous people out there that even goes beyond the green consumer and I think we all know who they are. I will just leave it at that.

LMAO

That's great. I guess only big Kung Fu guys should rate good manners.

Next time tell them you've got a big dog. That should do the trick.

Bob Dole
03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
There is a whole class of self riteous people out there that even goes beyond the green consumer and I think we all know who they are. I will just leave it at that.

Oh come on...you can write "minivan with a Jesus fish"...

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
LMAO

That's great. I guess only big Kung Fu guys should rate good manners.

Next time tell them you've got a big dog. That should do the trick.

This doesn't really apply to you as I'm sure you don't have any of these issues at the drive up window. Your biggest problem is whether to supersize or not to supersize.

FAX
03-17-2010, 01:57 PM
This is a really interesting concept. I haven't noticed the "Whole Foods" phenomenon, though.

What I have noticed is that the parking lot at Trader Joe's is the absolute, most polite parking lot in the city of Nashville. It's the only parking lot in which people don't try to run down other people and, in fact, appear to be considerate and thoughtful of others.

FAX

Frazod
03-17-2010, 02:04 PM
This doesn't really apply to you as I'm sure you don't have any of these issues at the drive up window. Your biggest problem is whether to supersize or not to supersize.

There are lines in places other than just homo organic yogurt stores, hero. Can't remember the last time anybody cut in line in front of me.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
There are lines in places other than just homo organic yogurt stores, hero. Can't remember the last time anybody cut in line in front of me.

That's because your belly sticks out so far it insures you won't lose your spot.

Chiefnj2
03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/facbios/file/Green%20Products%20Psych%20Sci.pdf

That's the study. Nobody went to a store. It was on a computer. The "lying" had to deal with saying which side of a box had more dots on it than the other.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
For the reading impaired when it says they try to cut that doesn't mean they made it.

Frazod
03-17-2010, 02:18 PM
That's because your belly sticks out so far it insures you won't lose your spot.

Aww, you cut me deep, Bongo.

Most of the fucktards I go around and around with here resort to fat jokes when they've run out anything clever to say. You, of course, start with them.

I guess that kind of says it all, doesn't it? :D

Saulbadguy
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't notice that in Kansas. In general people are pretty nice to each other, here.

Then again, we don't have a Whole Foods. I just see those people with the re-usable grocery bags and think that THEY are the green ones.

HC_Chief
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't notice that in Kansas. In general people are pretty nice to each other, here.

Then again, we don't have a Whole Foods. I just see those people with the re-usable grocery bags and think that THEY are the green ones.

Yeah right.... you just don't know about Whole Foods 'casue you're too busy waiting in line at Spangle's. :p

Garcia Bronco
03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
You couldn't pay me to sho[ at whole paycheck.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Aww, you cut me deep, Bongo.

Most of the ****tards I go around and around with here resort to fat jokes when they've run out anything clever to say. You, of course, start with them.

I guess that kind of says it all, doesn't it? :D

Well it's either that or they feel really bad about cutting in front of a midget. It's kind of like robbing a handicap, it's just not right. Then there's the fat midget. Nothing worse than cutting in front of a fat midget.

Demonpenz
03-17-2010, 03:52 PM
people are angry because they can't eat a big ass cheese burger from hardees. Get laid, do a shot, eat a cheese burger every once in a while you non living fucks

Frazod
03-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Well it's either that or they feel really bad about cutting in front of a midget. It's kind of like robbing a handicap, it's just not right. Then there's the fat midget. Nothing worse than cutting in front of a fat midget.

Robbing a handicap? Real goodly with teh grammaticals, there, BIG_DUMBASS. ROFL

So when you grunted and drooled on the soccer mom's head, did she go to the back of the line?

CosmicPal
03-17-2010, 03:59 PM

Turns out they are wrong. Organic food isn't about better tastes. Organic food is equal in taste but provides better nutrients.

The reason organics cost more money, Sporto, is because it costs a farmer loads of money to plow up his acres and start anew. The organic farming industry must meet precise standards unlike your regular Farmer Fred. The organic farm must re-sod, use free-range, uncontaminated water, etc.

As for the tests they did, this is absolutely ludicrous. These are college kids. The college-age kids who are into organics and health foods are also the ones who are most likely tree-huggers and anti-government types who can't afford organic figs, basil, and tofu.

Had they done this test on actual adults who actually have money to spend on organics, then the test would have a very, very different result.

Simply Red
03-17-2010, 04:00 PM
they've been cheated and lied to for years, PEOPLE! YEARS!!!

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Had they done this test on actual adults who actually have money to spend on organics, then the test would have a very, very different result.

I totally disagree.

boogblaster
03-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Greenies are usually the boob-wa-zees that think they're saving the planet one perfect tard at a time ....

Stewie
03-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Rotenone is used in organic farming. It's a very toxic pesticide. It's all natural. Pyrethrins are also used and are toxic. Organic is not the panacea the organic farmers/marketers claim it is.

The #1 rule in farming... organic or otherwise? Yield! Bugs and disease will be smashed with chemicals. Whether it's Roenone or Sevin, pick your poison.

jidar
03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Big Daddy makes a thread about himself and doesn't realize it.

PornChief
03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
http://www.tdn.com/news/article_94d532be-0c26-11df-a568-001cc4c002e0.html

outstanding but not altogether related story. animal liberation kook set himself ablaze planning to run into a fur store, but doesn't realise the joint hasn't opened yet.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Yea I was kind of mean to frazod. I'm sorry frazod, I know it's not easy being you.

Frazod
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Yea I was kind of mean to frazod. I'm sorry frazod, I know it's not easy being you.

I know you're a moron, so let me explain this - he was insulting YOU, dummy. Let's review:

See, a "thread" is a string of posts, and in this case, it was started by you. So, if someone comments on "making a thread," this refers to the first post in the thread, which was created by the thread starter (again, in this instance, this means you - I hope I'm not going too fast here). Now, the first post in the thread had nothing to do with me (me, being "frazod," not you, being "BIG_DADDY"). Still following along with me? Good. The first post in the thread did, however, feature you complaining about other rude Kalifornia assholes, which is both funny and ironic to those of us intelligent enough to understand the concepts of humor and irony. You may not be able to understand that. Sorry.

I hope this helps. :thumb:

And by the way, it's "yeah," with an "h," not "yea." You get that one for free. First grade must have been a real bitch for you.

Regarding the apology, it is not necessary. I just consider the source. And as I tell the rest of my detractors (that means people who don't like me), I'm quite pleased that you don't like me. I wouldn't want it any other way.

And finally, I'll save you the trouble of responding to this this post. Yes, I'm still short and fat. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

You get that one for free, too! See, I really am a nice guy.

P.S. I misspelled "Kalifornia" deliberately. I kind of like it that way.