PDA

View Full Version : Football Bucs sign S Jones

Mr. Laz
03-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers agree to terms with veteran safety Sean Jones

By Stephen F. Holder (http://www.tampabay.com/writers/stephen-f-holder), Times Staff Writer
In Print: Wednesday, March 17, 2010
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1">TAMPA — The Bucs' quest to find free-agent help at safety ended Tuesday.

Tampa Bay agreed to terms on a contract with Eagles free agent Sean Jones, a veteran who has 16 interceptions in the past four seasons and might compete for a starting job this fall.

The value and length of the deal weren't immediately known.
Jones, 6-1 and 220 pounds, is entering his seventh season and has started 53 of his past 59 games. He likely will get a long look at strong safety, where the Bucs are expected to make Sabby Piscitelli defend his starting job after his struggles last season.

Bucs coach Raheem Morris, a former defensive backs coach, recalls scouting Jones when he was coming out of the University of Georgia in 2004, so the franchise is familiar with his work.

Jones, 28, is adept at playing near the line of scrimmage in run support, but his interception totals suggest he has, at minimum, adequate coverage skills. Where he fits in will be determined by his performance in training camp and during the preseason, but it seems the Bucs see Jones as a potential starter.

Before the deal became official, Morris said of Jones, "He's been productive on special teams and he's been productive on (defense). Everywhere he's been, he's been productive. He had a little bit of an injury history, but he's been able to overcome it and be a starter pretty much everywhere he's been. We're fired up to get him. It'll be good competition."

Jones went through with a scheduled visit with the Titans on Sunday and Monday after spending Friday in Tampa. He left Nashville without a contract.

It's still unclear whether the Titans made an actual offer, but the need to acquire Jones appeared less pressing for Tennessee because it has two established veterans starting at safety in Michael Griffin and Chris Hope.

The acquisition doesn't preclude the Bucs from drafting a safety next month.

ChiefsCountry
03-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Cool that should mean Berry isn't going to Tampa Bay.

Nightfyre
03-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Cool that should mean Berry isn't going to Tampa Bay.

I don't think Tampa would take a safety at three anyway, but i doubt the acquisition of a shoulda-coulda-neverhas-been is going to define their first round strategy.

Wilson8
03-17-2010, 07:58 PM
So combine the signing of Sean Jones with Tanard Jackson and Sabby Piscitelli already being on the Tampa Bay team, and it seems more likely that TB goes with a DT with the 3rd pick.

Bucs sign Sean Jones to 2-year contract

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers dipped into the free agent talent pool for the second time in five days Wednesday, this time pulling out Sean Jones, a starting-caliber safety who is expected to push Sabby Piscitelli for his starter's job.

Jones, 28, signed a two-year contract with the Bucs after spending the 2009 season with Philadelphia, where the Eagles got nine starts out of the one-time University of Georgia standout and former second-round pick of the Cleveland Browns.

A starter in 53 of the 59 games he's played since first breaking into the Browns starting lineup in 2006, Jones recorded 61 tackles, five pass breakups and two interceptions for the Eagles last year.

He had 14 interceptions during his final three years with the Browns, but Jones is considered more of a run-stopper and thumper than a pass defender, which is why the Bucs were after him.

The Bucs went into the offseason looking for someone to push Piscitelli, who struggled in particular to finish plays in the box against the run during his first full season as a starter last year.

Jones seems to fit the bill. Scouting reports describe him as a highly physical player who likes to mix it up near the line of scrimmage and who still has some upside to his game.

Jones visited the Bucs last week and made a visit to the Tennessee Titans on Monday, but the opportunity to start is what pushed him to choose Tampa Bay as his new home.

Jones is the third newcomer to the Bucs this offseason. He joins fellow former Eagle Reggie Brown, a receiver the Bucs obtained in a trade, and Jon Alston, a linebacker the Bucs signed in free agency last Friday.

With Jones in the fold, the Bucs may now be able to concentrate on the front portion of their defense on draft day.

The Bucs were believed to be targeting either a defensive lineman or a defensive back with their first pick, but with Jones on board the way is clear now to concentrate primarily on a defensive lineman.

The Bucs have the third overall pick in the draft and some mock drafts now have them getting their choice of the top two defensive tackles – either Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska or Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/mar/16/171151/bucs-sign-jones-bolster-secondary/

BossChief
03-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I was hoping we would bring him in. Wonder why we didnt...

Al Bundy
03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
There is a sense among some Buccaneers fans that we will select Berry regardless of who is there. My theory is if Bradford is there we trade back. If Suh or McCoy is there we have no choice but to take either of them.

Wilson8
03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
It is a good signing if you want KC to have an opportunity to draft Berry.

Wilson8
03-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Bringing this thread back up.

The signing is important because Sean Jones was an important part of Crennel's defense in Cleveland. KC needs help at safety but we did not seem to try and sign. The Tamba Bay signing could affect the first few picks of the draft and might be more important to the Chiefs if they really want to draft Eric Berry.

TAMPA - One of the things Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris wants most in his safeties is versatility. He certainly got that in new safety Sean Jones.

"Coming out of college he could play both (free and strong safety), so he's going to provide competition for both (Tanard Jackson and Sabby Piscitelli)," Morris said Wednesday.

The ability to push both of the Bucs' starting safeties may have increased Jones' value to the Bucs, but the primary reason he was signed to a two-year contract Wednesday was to push Piscitelli.

Though it was only his first full season as a starter, Piscitelli struggled both in coverage and as a tackler in 2009. The Bucs' hope is that Jones will either force Piscitelli to get better or prove to be better himself.

"We want to increase the competition all over the (field), and (Jones) is a guy who will do that for us," Morris said of the Browns' 2004 second-round draft pick. "He provides us with a lot more depth, and that's why we're excited to have him."

Jones' ability to help out on special teams is another reason the Bucs are excited to have the former University of Georgia standout. The thing the Bucs are most excited about, however, is the way Jones plays the game.

Though he has recorded 16 interceptions in 59 games for Cleveland and Philadelphia the last four years, he has been described as a physical defender who is at his best working near the line of scrimmage as a run defender.

"He is a nice box player," Morris said. "When you see him, you see a guy who is commanding physically and who has a presence and who comes into the box and has to be accounted for. But he has some natural ball skills on the back end, too.

"So we're really excited to have him. I mean, you're talking about another one of the pieces to the puzzle here. He's a guy who is going to provide us with more depth and more of the attributes we need to have success this year."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/mar/18/180707/sp-jones-should-push-others/sports-bucs/

Mr. Laz
03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Bringing this thread back up.

The signing is important because Sean Jones was an important part of Crennel's defense in Cleveland. KC needs help at safety but we did not seem to try and sign. The Tamba Bay signing could affect the first few picks of the draft and might be more important to the Chiefs if they really want to draft Eric Berry.
apparently Haley and Pioli have told Crennel that Page is a viable starter

Wilson8
03-18-2010, 01:56 PM

Maybe so or maybe Crennel knows more about Sean and said stay away. :shrug:

Sean Jones was injured in 2008 for Crennel's last year in Cleveland with knee and ankle injuries.

In 2006 and 2007, Jones had a total of 207 tackles and 10 ints. Pretty impressive numbers.

Dave Lane
03-19-2010, 10:26 AM
There is a sense among some Buccaneers fans that we will select Berry regardless of who is there. My theory is if Bradford is there we trade back. If Suh or McCoy is there we have no choice but to take either of them.

God theres a Berrygasm going on over there too?

jAZ
03-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't know how high Pioli values safety's but history suggests that the position isn't valued very highly by most GMs. And from what I've heard Pioli puts a lot of emphasis in positional value when drafting.

Given that, I'd guess that there is no chance in hell we draft Berry unless we trade down.

The amusement of watching this place implode will be at record high for me come draft day.

ChiefsCountry
03-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Page is a vialble starter at safety but that doesn't mean you can't upgrade even more. Page's best role is a nickel safety.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-19-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't know how high Pioli values safety's but history suggests that the position isn't valued very highly by most GMs. And from what I've heard Pioli puts a lot of emphasis in positional value when drafting.

Given that, I'd guess that there is no chance in hell we draft Berry unless we trade down.

The amusement of watching this place implode will be at record high for me come draft day.

Do you think last year's 1st rounder meets this criteria?

aturnis
03-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Do you think last year's 1st rounder meets this criteria?

If Pioli puts a lot of value on the D-line, then yes, I think he does. In fact, the picks they spent on their D-line in New England would suggest that they think the D-line is one of, if not the most valuable unit on the team.

Mr. Laz
03-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Do you think last year's 1st rounder meets this criteria?alot of people consider the DE's and NT crucial in running a 3-4 even though they don't put up big numbers. Pioli even said in an interview last year that the value of the DE was under-rated by most people in a 3-4.

for what it's worth :shrug:

Al Bundy
03-19-2010, 06:00 PM
God theres a Berrygasm going on over there too?

Not really, most of us feel like you don't draft a safety that high, if both Suh and McCoy are gone then Bradford becomes a hot commodity, thus the trade market heats up.