PDA

View Full Version : Life Fighting gym procrastination

MMXcalibur
03-18-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm not what you would call completely out of shape (25 yrs. old, 158, 5' 8''), but I'd like to try and get to the gym to do some cardio. I'm not into lifting weights or improving muscle mass moreso than just jogging or running for 2-3 miles. However, I've found myself having more and more problems getting myself up to go to the gym. My job allows me to take off 1 1/2 hours early to go to the gym, but even still I find myself too lazy to get up and make my way over there.

Any tips on fighting procrastination and getting excited to go to the gym?

Silock
03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Start lifting weights. It's a lot more fun than running.

rambleonthruthefog
03-18-2010, 08:24 AM
consistantly change up your routine so that your not getting bored.

NewChief
03-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Start lifting weights. It's a lot more fun than running.

This. If all I had to look forward to at the gym was 2-3 miles on the treadmill, I wouldn't go either.

NewChief
03-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Also, jump in this thread:
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=218990

It's a pretty good motivator and tool for accountability.

Also, does your gym offer any classes during that time? A spin/cycling class or a body pump type class would both suit your goals. They're much more enjoyable than pounding away on a treadmill.

Dave Lane
03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
I'm not what you would call completely out of shape (25 yrs. old, 158, 5' 8''), but I'd like to try and get to the gym to do some cardio. I'm not into lifting weights or improving muscle mass moreso than just jogging or running for 2-3 miles. However, I've found myself having more and more problems getting myself up to go to the gym. My job allows me to take off 1 1/2 hours early to go to the gym, but even still I find myself too lazy to get up and make my way over there.

Any tips on fighting procrastination and getting excited to go to the gym?

Play flag football with us. Its the easy way to run for 2-3 hrs and not hate it.

ziggysocki
03-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Don't run on a treadmill. That will make you hate it. Get outside, go to a park, or some trails somewhere. Running on a treadmill will only make you hate going to the gym at all.

PhillyChiefFan
03-18-2010, 08:44 AM
This. If all I had to look forward to at the gym was 2-3 miles on the treadmill, I wouldn't go either.

Exactly.

getting to the gym is 80% of the fight, but if you absolutely hate the other 20%? You will be miserable and finding yourself making excuses not to go.

I do cardio and lift and I actually look forward to going.

It helps A LOT to have an iPod with a playlist of upbeat music.

Like Manilow, I swear I could workout all day to Manilow. :D

CanadianChief
03-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Tell them to get a hot instructor to lead a class. I go to a Hardcore Circuit class 3 times a week mainly because the instructor is smokin' hot.

Dartgod
03-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Don't run on a treadmill. That will make you hate it. Get outside, go to a park, or some trails somewhere. Running on a treadmill will only make you hate going to the gym at all.
Fuck that. A plane could crash into me, killing me dead!

PhillyChiefFan
03-18-2010, 08:47 AM
If you are serious about it, get an iPod with a Nike + system.

You can track how far and long you ran, and how many calories you burn etc.

It works well as a motivator for me.

But you do have to buy shoes that will fit the plug that comes with it, kind of a downside, but it works.

PhillyChiefFan
03-18-2010, 08:48 AM
**** that. A plane could crash into me, killing me dead!

or meteors...killed 4 people in my area just last week alone.

ziggysocki
03-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Fuck that. A plane could crash into me, killing me dead!

hahah... I never said on the beach. those beaches are dangerous.

Silock
But you do have to buy shoes that will fit the plug that comes with it, kind of a downside, but it works.

No, you don't. Shoepouch.com

keg in kc
Don't run on a treadmill. That will make you hate it. Get outside, go to a park, or some trails somewhere. Running on a treadmill will only make you hate going to the gym at all.This is my advice. I don't like gyms in general. Nothing is more boring to me, whether it's a half hour on the treadmill or doing a weight circuit. I know there are folks who love it, but I just don't have the ability to turn my brain off and enjoy mind-less/-numbing tasks. Give me changing scenery, every day of the week.

As far as procrastination goes, in my experience, we humans are really habitual. I think you might find that, once you've done it regularly for a period of time, it'll become an established routine. Right now, though, to steal a line from Nike, just do it.

Dayze
luckily, we have a treadmill in our apartment. but, there are a ton of trails just a stones throw away; I'll be tackling those here shortly when the weather improves.

as far as motivation, you just gotta do it. It's a b*tch though. but, once it becomes a routine in about 3 weeks, you'll find yourself looking forward to it.

I started in January; hated it. but now, running is simply a part of my routine. and if I don't run / take more than a day or off etc, I feel very 'off'.

good luck man; you can do it. the weather improving should help a little with motivation too, I'm sure. I can't wait to get outside and try this 'running' thing that I've been doing on a treadmill.....outdoors.

MMXcalibur
03-18-2010, 08:52 AM
As far as the whole running vs lifting weights, the only reason I try to run more often is due to me being in the Air Force, I get tested on my 1 1/2 mile run, situps and pushups. Also, I'd like to stay in good health considering I know one of these days in the near future, I anticipate the metabolism that has kept me from being overweight to this point....is going to flatline like *that*.

Silock
03-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Your metabolism is the sum of all the processes of lean body mass in your body. It's not really going to change. What will change is your activity level.

1.5 miles? That's nothing. You can get that kind of cardio workout with weights.

PhillyChiefFan
03-18-2010, 08:59 AM
No, you don't. Shoepouch.com

Wow! Nice, had no idea those existed.

Mr. Christopher
03-18-2010, 09:02 AM
One of the best workouts that someone suggested to me was in the book "Core Performance" by Mark Verstegen. It's an athletic-style workout with a good variety of cardio, strength, and flexibility training that make each and every day something new to look forward to.

PhillyChiefFan
As far as the whole running vs lifting weights, the only reason I try to run more often is due to me being in the Air Force, I get tested on my 1 1/2 mile run, situps and pushups. Also, I'd like to stay in good health considering I know one of these days in the near future, I anticipate the metabolism that has kept me from being overweight to this point....is going to flatline like *that*.

Thats why I am running etc now.

My family has heart problems, so I'm trying to nip that in the bud too by eating right, and exercising now.

Also, when I have kids I want them to get into good habits.

kaplin42
As talked about in other threads, try Crossfit. You wont end up building a lot of muscle mass, but cardio, yes a lot of cardio. And the workouts change every day, so it's never boring, always a challenge, and always fun.

NewChief
03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
As talked about in other threads, try Crossfit. You wont end up building a lot of muscle mass, but cardio, yes a lot of cardio. And the workouts change every day, so it's never boring, always a challenge, and always fun.

Thanks for reminding me. The wife and I are traveling next week, so I have to find some crossfit workouts we can do outside the gym. I did some of the Crossfit Sparta ones last time we traveled and we both loved them.

PhillyChiefFan
03-18-2010, 09:05 AM
P90X is great for slimming down and toning up.

Even though the host is a douchenozzle.

Otter
03-18-2010, 09:08 AM
During the week I find that if I go right after work with no interruptions I'm almost certain to get a workout in as opposed if I stop anywhere in between. Whether it's home, the store or whatever, I start farting around and loose interest in getting a workout.

That's about the biggest factor for me as to whether I make it to the gym or not.

Hootie
03-18-2010, 09:14 AM
the treadmill can be monotonous for sure...I usually run at 8 MPH for 2 minutes, then jump off the side for 1 minute...then 8 MPH for 2 minutes...repeat...7 times...and then do my lifts...and then finish with 7 more intervals...that makes the treadmill less boring for me...when I used to run 2 miles without rest it was just...annoying

NewChief
03-18-2010, 09:17 AM
the treadmill can be monotonous for sure...I usually run at 8 MPH for 2 minutes, then jump off the side for 1 minute...then 8 MPH for 2 minutes...repeat...7 times...and then do my lifts...and then finish with 7 more intervals...that makes the treadmill less boring for me...when I used to run 2 miles without rest it was just...annoying

Yeah, HIIT workouts can help break up the monotony and get more bang for your buck out of the time you spend on the treadmill:

http://walking.about.com/od/treadmillworkouts/a/treadmillhiit.htm

Crashride
03-18-2010, 09:29 AM
One word. Crossfit.

NewChief
03-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Also, if you're AF, you can probably find a group doing crossfit on base. It's pretty big in the military.

noa
03-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Like others have said, the key is to get into the routine of going -- if you're going after work, don't stop anywhere because that makes you lose momentum. But within your routine of going to the gym, switch things up a bunch. That's what's best for you anyway. If you're just doing the same thing every time, you're going to plateau and then you don't even get the gratification of seeing yourself improve that provides motivation to keep going.

Definitely get into lifting weights, even if you're not looking to build muscle. You won't put on a bunch of muscle mass unless you are really trying to (of course, there are some people who are just built so that they could put on muscle by wiping their asses). Lifting weights will help in a lot of regards. One way I like to switch it up is do four sets of 12 reps, increasing the weight each time. Then after a couple weeks once you think you have a good idea of the weights you can lift, lower it a little, but do 20 reps each set. You'll see that when you return to the 12 reps at the higher weights, it will seem much easier.

BWillie
03-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Cardio is for girls and people that want to live longer. Blah.

rockymtnchief
03-18-2010, 12:23 PM
During the week I find that if I go right after work with no interruptions I'm almost certain to get a workout in as opposed if I stop anywhere in between. Whether it's home, the store or whatever, I start farting around and loose interest in getting a workout.

That's about the biggest factor for me as to whether I make it to the gym or not.

That's my problem too. If I go straight home and jump on the bike I'm motivated. But, lately I've had the problem of seeing gophers, shooting their little heads off, putting them in a pile for the eagles, and then watching the feast.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Your job will pay you to go the gym for an hour and a half vs. doing your job for an hour and a half? Do you love your job? If not, what's the problem?

The Franchise
03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Question.....

Does your job require you to go to an actual gym or can you run at home?

Hammock Parties
03-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I pretty much stopped going to the gym. Now I work out at home with free weights. I'm guessing it will be a lot easier for you to work out if you start running outside instead of using a fucking treadmill. It's way too easy to just step out your front door and go.

Hammock Parties
03-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Like Manilow, I swear I could workout all day to Manilow. :D We're goin' hoppin' (Hop) We're goin' hoppin' today Where things are poppin' (Pop) The Philadelphia way We're gonna drop in (Drop) On all the music they play On the Bandstand (Bandstand)

The Franchise
03-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Look....here was what I did when I wanted to run.

Play videogames and run. It's possible....believe me. A game of NCAA 2010 or Madden 2010 is around an hour. You can put it on 4.5-5.5 and it's fast enough that you're getting a work out...but not so fast that you have to concentrate solely on running.

MahiMike
03-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Spin class or racquetball. I played singles yesterday instead of cutthroat and forgot how great a workout it was. I was gassed.

MahiMike
03-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Look....here was what I did when I wanted to run.

Play videogames and run. It's possible....believe me. A game of NCAA 2010 or Madden 2010 is around an hour. You can put it on 4.5-5.5 and it's fast enough that you're getting a work out...but not so fast that you have to concentrate solely on running.

Or time your jaunts with a show on TV. 1st and 10 lasts about an hour on ESPN. I do 45 mins. of it at lunch.