PDA

View Full Version : Life So I Bought a New Car

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 08:59 AM
From my cousin at the Kia dealership with no money down because we are waiting to get the insurance money from our other car. He told us the car gets 25/29 MPG's which is important to us since we commute to KC everyday for work. After 2 weeks the best MPG I'm getting is 20.5 and the last tank was 19.5 and we do 80% of our driving on Hwy's. So I told him that we want to take the car back and asked if he had something else with better gas mileage. He insist everbody else is getting 25-29 that he has talked to.

So he is pissed but says since we are family he will let us drop it back off asap. We thought he said we had a 30 day return option, but now he says he didn't say that. Anyways, am I in the right here? I did also email him about it after the first tank and was told it takes a while to get better gas mileage and would have returned it sooner had we not been under the impression we had 30 days. We've had it about 2 weeks.

Demonpenz
03-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Don't do business with family ...hard fast rules to live by.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Agreed. Hopefully no hard feelings are involved.

Hydrae
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
There was another post recently from someone having a similar issue. It seemed like a lot of the responses were that the mileage would improve after the first 5000 or so miles. You have to break in the engine before it gets optimum milieage.

I don't know anything about this, just sharing what I read from the CP braintrust.

Donger
03-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Do you have issues with patience or something? New cars do not get their advertised mileage for quite a while/miles.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:09 AM
There was another post recently from someone having a similar issue. It seemed like a lot of the responses were that the mileage would improve after the first 5000 or so miles. You have to break in the engine before it gets optimum milieage.

I don't know anything about this, just sharing what I read from the CP braintrust.

Yeah, it was me and the gas milage has gotten worse after driving it for 1000 miles and we thought it had a 30 day return policy.

jjjayb
03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
The estimated mileage is stated on the sticker of all New cars. If it's a used car you bought you should have looked up the estimated mileage before you bought it. But keep in mind, it's estimated mileage. Some will get higher, some will get lower. When I drive my wifes car I get 3-4 mpg less than she does. I have a heavier foot, she drives like an old lady.

Sorry, but you're stuck with the car. Drive a little easier and your mileage will go up. And sometimes it does take a few thousand miles before you start seeing optimal mpg.

rageeumr
03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Next time I'm faced with a difficult "new thread/bump old thread" decision, I'ma go the way of BigCatDaddy and say "Fuck it, I'm doing both"

Donger
03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Yeah, it was me and the gas milage has gotten worse after driving it for 1000 miles and we thought it had a 30 day return policy.

You are referring to a 1 MPG decrease? If so, there are many things that could attribute to that beyond something being "wrong" with the car:

1) Weight increase.

2) Weather conditions (especially wind).

3) Overall driving habits.

Etc.

Also, please describe how you calculated the MPG.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Do you have issues with patience or something? New cars do not get their advertised mileage for quite a while/miles.

They improve 30%? We were told 25/29 when we bought they car and we do 80% of our driving hwy. So I'm thinking 27-28 and I got 19.5 on the last fillup at about 1100 miles.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:15 AM
You are referring to a 1 MPG decrease? If so, there are many things that could attribute to that beyond something being "wrong" with the car:

1) Weight increase.

2) Weather conditions (especially wind).

3) Overall driving habits.

Etc.

Also, please describe how you calculated the MPG.

Right, but like I said we were told 25/29 and I'm getting 20 at best.

Miles travled divided gallons of gas put in car.

Donger
03-18-2010, 09:17 AM
They improve 30%? He were told 25/29 when we bought they car and we do 80% of our driving hwy. So I'm thinking 27-28 and I got 19.5 on the last fillup at about 1100 miles.

Those numbers are estimates, and IMO they are theoretical maximums. Yes, it will improve as your engine breaks-in. How much? I have no idea. I'd suggest that look at your driving style. Here:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt064.shtm

Do us a favor and try these tips and see how much improvement you get.

Frosty
03-18-2010, 09:19 AM
The problem is that mileage is highly dependent on your driving habits. You aren't going to just magically get the posted mileage. That mileage is calculated on a closed course, driving a steady 55 mph with all electrical accessories turned off. If you are accelerating hard, speeding up and down (even while highway driving), letting the car idle to "warm up" in the morning, etc, you are going to get a lot worse mileage.

If you can't turn the car back in, check cleanmpg.com for driving tips to improve the mileage.

That said, I haven't seen a Korean car yet that gets the kind of mileage you would think they should get. I don't think they build very efficient engines yet.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Those numbers are estimates, and IMO they are theoretical maximums. Yes, it will improve as your engine breaks-in. How much? I have no idea. I'd suggest that look at your driving style. Here:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt064.shtm

Do us a favor and try these tips and see how much improvement you get.

He wants the car back today So I shouldn't be upset that I was told 25/29 by a dealer and I get 19-20 driving mostly Hwy?

Donger
03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Right, but like I said we were told 25/29 and I'm getting 20 at best.

I'm just pointing out that 1 MPG decrease isn't very much and that it most certainly does not prove that there is something wrong with the vehicle.

Miles travled divided gallons of gas put in car.

Okay, so you are noting the odometer (or zeroing out the trip odo) when you fill up? Are you topping off the tank each time or just stopping when the trigger pops? Same air temperature each time?

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:21 AM
The problem is that mileage is highly dependent on your driving habits. You aren't going to just magically get the posted mileage. That mileage is calculated on a closed course, driving a steady 55 mph with all electrical accessories turned off. If you are accelerating hard, speeding up and down (even while highway driving), letting the car idle to "warm up" in the morning, etc, you are going to get a lot worse mileage.

If you can't turn the car back in, check cleanmpg.com for driving tips to improve the mileage.

That said, I haven't seen a Korean car yet that gets the kind of mileage you would think they should get. I don't think they build very efficient engines yet.

I understand that, but he is still saying NOBODY is getting worse then 25 MPG's that he has talked to. I took it as he was calling me a liar.

Donger
03-18-2010, 09:22 AM
He wants the car back today So I shouldn't be upset that I was told 25/29 by a dealer and I get 19-20 driving mostly Hwy?

Honestly, no you should not be. Over time, the highway MPG will probably creep toward 23 or 24 MPG. Again, the 29 number is a theoretical maximum (IMO). Minimal acceleration coupled with a good tailwind being driven my a midget.

EyePod
03-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Why would you buy a new car? granted, it's a Kia, and I'm pretty sure they lose value only moderately, but seriously, buying a new car is one of the largest ways of losing your money as quickly as possible. They lose so much value so quickly right when you buy it. Buy a year or 2 old car that is certified! Just as good!

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm just pointing out that 1 MPG decrease isn't very much and that it most certainly does not prove that there is something wrong with the vehicle.

Okay, so you are noting the odometer (or zeroing out the trip odo) when you fill up? Are you topping off the tank each time or just stopping when the trigger pops? Same air temperature each time?

Yes, going off the odometer not the trip. Just going from where the trigger pops each time, but I'm assuming everybody does it this way. Didn't note the temperature.

HemiEd
I was getting 25 mpg hwy immediately with the 5.7 Hemi Challenger, and it has creeped up 28.6 since then.

Donger
I understand that, but he is still saying NOBODY is getting worse then 25 MPG's that he has talked to. I took it as he was calling me a liar.

Be honest: how would you describe your driving style? Did you look at that link I posted?

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Why would you buy a new car? granted, it's a Kia, and I'm pretty sure they lose value only moderately, but seriously, buying a new car is one of the largest ways of losing your money as quickly as possible. They lose so much value so quickly right when you buy it. Buy a year or 2 old car that is certified! Just as good!

I agree, but my wife wanted it and I wanted to be happy.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Be honest: how would you describe your driving style? Did you look at that link I posted?

I did not. Most of our miles are at 75 MPH on cruise.

Donger
03-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Errr....

Frosty
03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Most of our miles are at 75 MPH on cruise.

I think I might see a source of your problem.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I think I might see a source of your problem.

That's the same way I drove my Malibu and I got almost 30 and it was listed at 32 Hwy.

The other majority are rural Hwy's about 60.

jiveturkey
03-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Why would you buy a new car? granted, it's a Kia, and I'm pretty sure they lose value only moderately, but seriously, buying a new car is one of the largest ways of losing your money as quickly as possible. They lose so much value so quickly right when you buy it. Buy a year or 2 old car that is certified! Just as good!I usually agree with this but the financing on a new car is way better than what you get on a used rig. The actually monthly payments aren't that much different. Unless you find a deal on a 2 year old car with 50,000 miles on it. :hmmm:

Dealers have made it a tougher choice. Get a used rig and pay $325/month and hope that they have one with everything that you want or pay $360/month for a brand new car with all of the shit that you want in it.

Bwana
03-18-2010, 09:42 AM

Ummm, tell your wife to Prozac up and be happy there is going to be a car change, before you decide to trade her in for an upgrade. As the other poster said, buying new, is a fast way to loose a lot of money and a Kia..........they drop like a friken rock in value. Look at this as a second chance to do the right thing dude.

Frosty
03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
That's the same way I drove my Malibu and I got almost 30 and it was listed at 32 Hwy.

It doesn't mean that your KIA is geared the same. I know my pick up can happily cruise along at 70-75 MPH without affecting the mileage much but our Honda CR-V's mileage goes to shit over 65 MPH.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Ummm, tell your wife to Prozac up and be happy there is going to be a car change, before you decide to trade her in for an upgrade. As the other poster said, buying new, is a fast way to loose a lot of money and a Kia..........they drop like a friken rock in value. Look at this as a second chance to do the right thing dude.

I talked her into it. We are going used at about half the price now.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Dealers have made it a tougher choice. Get a used rig and pay $325/month and hope that they have one with everything that you want or pay $360/month for a brand new car with all of the shit that you want in it.

This is true. Alot of dealers now have better financing for new than banks have for used.

Toyota is offering 0.0% for up to 60 months on alot of their new cars to help win back customers.

I would only buy new on something that holds its value though, like Honda or Toyota.

Hydrae
03-18-2010, 09:49 AM
I was getting 25 mpg hwy immediately with the 5.7 Hemi Challenger, and it has creeped up 28.6 since then.

Sure just rub it in. :P

How do those things work? I heard that unless you put your foot into it, they run on 6 cylinders and then switch to all 8 when there is a need. That sounds really strange and I have been wondering how they pull that off.

Donger
03-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Do you still have your window sticker? If so, what does it say with regard to MPG estimates?

NewChief
03-18-2010, 09:50 AM

ROFL

Spokane Chief Fan
03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
My wife and I bought a 2010 Ford Escape in Dec. 21-23 mpg advertised. Got it home 16mpg it took 5000 miles but is now up to 23.6 mpg. As the motor got broke in it gradually got better after about 1500 miles or so.

vailpass
03-18-2010, 09:54 AM
A car salesman lied to you? No way.

Chief Pote
03-18-2010, 09:55 AM

He's driving a damn Kia....do you think he has a lead foot? It's not a corvette/porsche/maserati, where he might have driving style options. :D

vailpass
03-18-2010, 09:56 AM

How do those things work? I heard that unless you put your foot into it, they run on 6 cylinders and then switch to all 8 when there is a need. That sounds really strange and I have been wondering how they pull that off.

My Yukon uses 4 cylinders until you get on the highway then it goes to 8. You can watch the computer readout telling you how many cylinders it is using and the mpg. When set on cruise at 75 mph my big ol car gets 31 mpg.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Do you still have your window sticker? If so, what does it say with regard to MPG estimates?

I don't think it had one that I remember.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 09:58 AM
My Yukon uses 4 cylinders until you get on the highway then it goes to 8. You can watch the computer readout telling you how many cylinders it is using and the mpg. When set on cruise at 75 mph my big ol car gets 31 mpg.

I got 30 in my 4 cyclinder Mailbu, but our Jeep Liberty was horrible as well. We got about 17 in that baby.

Donger
03-18-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't think it had one that I remember.

:spock:

MahiMike
03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
I commute a lot each week. One trick I use is to only fill up the tank half way. Less weight for the car to haul. That and drive a 10 y/o Toyota. 27 mpg w/my old Avalon and 175,000 miles on it. It's just about broke in...)

Donger
03-18-2010, 10:02 AM
This is a 4 cylinder EX, yes? FWD or AWD?

jbwm89
03-18-2010, 10:02 AM
My mother drives a 2008 Hyundai elantra, advertised something like upper 20's never gets even close to that. I think there is something to the engines in the less expensive cars it is not necessarily just something the driver is doing wrong

vailpass
03-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I got 30 in my 4 cyclinder Mailbu, but our Jeep Liberty was horrible as well. We got about 17 in that baby.

In the city my Yukon gets about 15 mpg but I knew that when I bought the tank. That's okay, wouldn't drive a frigging kia or hyundai to save my life.
How did you like your Liberty? I keep an old Cherokee for offroading, love the jeep 6 cylinder.

Frosty
03-18-2010, 10:05 AM
My mother drives a 2008 Hyundai elantra, advertised something like upper 20's never gets even close to that. I think there is something to the engines in the less expensive cars it is not necessarily just something the driver is doing wrong

Like I said, I think it's the Korean cars, not that cheap cars in general, that get worse mileage. My Chevy Prizm (same car as a Toyota Corolla) gets better than sticker.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 10:08 AM
This is a 4 cylinder EX, yes? FWD or AWD?

FWD only.

Frosty
03-18-2010, 10:09 AM
How did you like your Liberty? I keep an old Cherokee for offroading, love the jeep 6 cylinder.

I used to have a '00 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L and auto. I routinely got 20 -21 mpg unless I had to use the four wheel drive (it dropped to 16 at that point). I really liked that car but traded it in on my pick up when we outgrew it.

My brother-in-law had a Liberty that they bought new. They put 70K miles on it in about 4 years and it was flawless during that time. It didn't even have any rattles in the interior when they traded it off. They only got 15 mpg though, probably because his wife has a lead foot.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 10:10 AM
In the city my Yukon gets about 15 mpg but I knew that when I bought the tank. That's okay, wouldn't drive a frigging kia or hyundai to save my life.

I loved how it drove especially when I needed a car in the snow and hated to give it up. But that is when gas was $4.00 a gallon and it make me sick putting that much money in gas in my car every 3 days.

TrebMaxx
03-18-2010, 10:21 AM
My Bimmer gets better highway mileage than the estimated and a little less mileage than city estimates. Haven't gone through a full tank yet on the wife's Nissan.

Donger
03-18-2010, 10:27 AM
FWD only.

Okay, so the low side is around 24 and the high side is 34 (+-5). I'll bet you that you'll get 25 or better once the engine is broken in and if you don't cruise at 75 mph. The highway MPG number is based on ~60 MPH, BTW.

EyePod
03-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Nough said. Makin the women happy. If she's the one driving it, I think we all know what's going on then...

ziggysocki
03-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Most serious 'penz quote I have ever seen. One of the single best pieces of advice I have seen on this board. Unless you already hate your family, or no longer wish to associate with them.

vailpass
03-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I used to have a '00 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L and auto. I routinely got 20 -21 mpg unless I had to use the four wheel drive (it dropped to 16 at that point). I really liked that car but traded it in on my pick up when we outgrew it.

My brother-in-law had a Liberty that they bought new. They put 70K miles on it in about 4 years and it was flawless during that time. It didn't even have any rattles in the interior when they traded it off. They only got 15 mpg though, probably because his wife has a lead foot.

Yeah, I really like the 4.0L Jeep engine, runs great and easy to work on.
Your bil had a Jeep that didn't rattle? You sure it was a Jeep?

Rain Man
03-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Just to be sure, did you take the emergency brake off?

HemiEd
03-18-2010, 11:25 AM

It is really a slick version of the old Cadillac system, that didn't have the technology to make it work. Remember the 4/6/8?

This one goes down to 4 cyls once it senses that it doesn't need the other 4, at cruising speeds. You can actually hear a slight exhaust drone, and some of the guys that are throwing aftermarket exhaust systems on them find it irritating.

It just lets the intake hydraulic lifters collapse, so they don't open the intake valves for those four cylinders. They say it is dependent on a pretty light oil, 5w20, but when I put 5w30 in, it still worked great. :D

Rain Man
03-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Wait a minute. Is it possible that the car is a manual and BigCatDaddy thinks it's an automatic and is driving in first gear? When you get up to highway speed, is the RPM reading about 9,000?

HemiEd
03-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Just to be sure, did you take the emergency brake off?

You are exposing your age once again, currently the are called a parking brake.

Rain Man
03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
You are exposing your age once again, currently the are called a parking brake.

That's going to cost someone some critical seconds in an emergency.

"AAAAAAAH! The car is rolling toward the lake and the babies are in it!"

"Pull the emergency brake! The emergency brake!"

"The what?"

"The emergency brake! Pull it!"

"I don't kn-"(Splash.)

"Oh, that's right. It's called a parking brake now."

King_Chief_Fan
03-18-2010, 12:05 PM

"The what?"

"I don't kn-"(Splash.)

"Oh, that's right. It's called a parking brake now."ROFL

HemiEd
03-18-2010, 12:07 PM

"The what?"

"I don't kn-"(Splash.)

Changes suck sometimes.

Rooster
03-18-2010, 12:08 PM

"The what?"

"I don't kn-"(Splash.)

That's how we lost my sister.

Frosty
03-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Your bil had a Jeep that didn't rattle?

Yeah, I know. I was shocked.

penguinz
03-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I average 14-19 mixed driving in my '00 Cherokee.

And I have more rattles than a baby store. :(

Bwana
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I talked her into it. We are going used at about half the price now.

Well done

BigMeatballDave
03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
LMAOI did not. Most of our miles are at 75 MPH on cruise.
Thread over...
Posted via Mobile Device

Stewie
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
I guarantee you're buying fuel that's 10% ethanol. That will drop your mileage 1-2 mpg.

BigMeatballDave
03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Does the car have a tach? if so, what are the RPMs @ 75MPH? As everyone has already mentioned, there are several factors that can affect your mileage.
Posted via Mobile Device

rockymtnchief
03-18-2010, 04:57 PM

I've got an '04 Liberty and it's been great. Still drives like new and it's a blast in the mountains. I've taken it up atv trails more than once.

I get 20 hwy/16 city. I've got as much as 23 hwy when I wasn't lead-footing it.

Silock
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Are the tires properly inflated? That can hinder mileage by a lot.

I'm just glad I don't have this problem. '02 RSX-S. 32 mpg mixed driving, even though it takes premium. Dig. I'll sell it to ya! Great commuter. 51k miles.

BigCatDaddy
03-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Dropped the Kia back off tonight, he got nicer when he asked me to be sure we give them scores of 10 when Kia calls or it cost him a few grand with 1 more negative survey score. It runs around 2500-3000 RPM's at 70 and over.

On a side note we picked up a pretty good deal on a 2008 Pontiac G6 GT and Randy Reed. I tested it out and we are getting about top end of MPG's 29MPG driving it the same way I drove the Kia. So both say 21-29, but only one actually does that. So it's not my FREAKING DRIVING 75 MPH jackasses :)

Fairplay
03-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Check the tires to see if they are inflated properly.

Don't punch the gas pedal.

Drive with the wind.

Drive down hill.

Don't stop and go drive.

Roll up your windows.

Drive close behind semi's to get wind tunnel mileage.