PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Deberg_1990
03-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Watched this last night on HBO. Great stuff.

These two really did save the NBA.

Doubtful there will ever be another rivalry as great as this one was. The Lakers and Celtics hated each other back in those days.

Check it out this month if you can.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/03/hbo-documentary-revisits-magicbird-rivalry-that-saved-basketball.html

Magic and Bird. Bird and Magic. They were the two iconic figures of the NBA in the 1980s, the two men who saved the game and the two men who kept it alive for a generation of fans.

On the floor, they were similarly great players -- team-oriented guys who made everyone around them better and would stop at nothing to win. Off the floor, they could not have been more different. They were the yin and yang of the NBA, the gregarious black superstar in Hollywood and the quiet, introspective white guy dubbed the "Hick from French Lick."

Magic Johnson and Larry Bird are the two subjects of Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals, a made-for-TV documentary that premieres March 6 on HBO. The film, directed by Ezra Edelman and produced by HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg, goes inside the lives of the two NBA legends, examining both the players and the men who epitomized basketball in the 1980s.

The story of Magic and Bird begins in 1979. That's when Magic's Michigan State Spartans and Bird's Indiana State Sycamores, the nation's two best teams led by the nation's two biggest stars, met in the NCAA Tournament final. It was the highest-rated college basketball game in history and it was a game that would forever alter the landscape of basketball in America.

The game catapulted Magic and Bird to even more attention on the national stage. Magic reveled in that attention; Bird shied away from it. But both went on to become immediate superstars in the NBA, as Magic went No. 1 overall to the L.A. Lakers, and Bird went to the Celtics, who drafted him the previous year.

Magic became caught up in fame and stardom in Hollywood -- he went to countless parties, met countless women and became a superstar in every sense of the word. Bird was the complete opposite. He was gritty, hardworking and relentless. He dove into scorers' tables for loose balls. He was quick to fight with opposing players. He went about his business -- he showed up, he won and he went home. He would rather be seen mowing his lawn outside his rural Indiana home than partying on the town.

But it was their difference in race that was magnified by the political climate in America in the '80s. Bird shied away from the issue; he hated being called the "Great White Hope" of the NBA. To all outward appearances, he was the only man in America who really just didn't see race.

The film captures all of these psychological and cultural contrasts between Magic and Bird in living color, but more importantly, it chronicles their historic rivalry on the court. Between 1980 and 1989, every NBA Finals featured either Magic or Bird. Magic's Lakers and Bird's Celtics met head-to-head three times, in 1984, '85 and '87. You see all the key moments, from Bird's heroic performance in '84 to Magic's famous "baby sky hook" that sank the Celtics three years later.

For all the great moments on the floor, there were traumatic moments off it. Bird endured a childhood of poverty, with fighting parents and an alcoholic father dealing with post-traumatic stress after a tour in Korea. His parents eventually split up and his father committed suicide.

Magic's lust for life caught up to him. His diagnosis with HIV in 1991 brought his career to a halt and made the world realize his mortality. Magic was 32, and his reign as one of the greatest players of all time had been tragically cut short.

But his legacy lived on, as did Bird's, despite a multitude of nagging injuries that kept him from playing on into his late 30s. Both men are remembered as saviors of a game that had lost its place in America's hearts.

There's a great moment toward the end of A Courtship of Rivals where Bryant Gumbel, one of the media figures featured prominently in the film, violently dismisses the idea that Michael Jordan saved the game of basketball. Magic and Larry saved the NBA, he argues. Magic and Larry.

After you've seen this documentary, it's hard to disagree. That's what the film is about: Two players who saved the game, and two men that a generation of fans will never forget.

Discuss Thrower
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
A great documentary, made me wish I was alive in their haydays to see them play. Arsenio Hall's commentary on the wild days of LA was priceless was hell.

[Liev Schreiber] Bla bla narration bla bla bla
HARD CUT TO ARSENIO
Arsenio: Everybody was getting high!

Deberg_1990
03-18-2010, 12:52 PM
A great documentary, made me wish I was alive in their haydays to see them play. Arsenio Hall's commentary on the wild days of LA was priceless was hell.

[Liev Schreiber] Bla bla narration bla bla bla
HARD CUT TO ARSENIO
Arsenio: Everybody was getting high!

heh...yea, Arsenio was great. I wish he would make a comeback.

Oh, and Bryant Gumbel swears again. I love it when he swears! LOL

threebag
03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
heh...yea, Arsenio was great. I wish he would make a comeback.

Oh, and Bryant Gumbel swears again. I love it when he swears! LOL

Chunky A had a good gig

jjjayb
03-18-2010, 01:44 PM
This came on a few weeks ago when I was about to go to bed. Figured I'd watch 5 minutes and go to bed. Stayed up and watched the whole thing. It was a great show. Highly recommend it.

Fritz88
03-18-2010, 02:03 PM
great rivalry

FAX
03-18-2010, 02:09 PM
I really feel for you guys who didn't have the opportunity to see them go at it in real time. What a rivalry.

I was always a Celtics fan. I attended one of the last games at the old Garden. Bird, Parish, McHale, Ainge ... what a team. McHale has post moves that were nothing short of amazing. Those were the days when the NBA was king.

FAX

seclark
03-18-2010, 02:23 PM
I really feel for you guys who didn't have the opportunity to see them go at it in real time. What a rivalry.

I was always a Celtics fan. I attended one of the last games at the old Garden. Bird, Parish, McHale, Ainge ... what a team. McHale has post moves that were nothing short of amazing. Those were the days when the NBA was king.

FAX

agree
sec

tymania
03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
This documentary was really good. I was really impressed, learned a lot of things i didnt know before. I was too young when all this was going on

Hydrae
03-18-2010, 02:27 PM

FAX

Growing up in the Portland area, I HATED the Lakers. The Blazers had some good teams but couldn't get past the Lakers.

FAX
03-18-2010, 02:30 PM
McHale was extraordinarily physical considering his frame.

I saw him play the Atlanta Hawks one time when the Hawks had Moses Malone matched up against him. McHale would take the ball, post up, and Malone would put a forearm in his chest. He would hit him so hard with his forearm that it knocked the wind right the hell out of McHale's body, I swear. McHale would suck air, make his move and sink it. Every time. It was amazing to watch. Those guys left it all on the floor. In those days, the Garden was like a religious experience. It was a cathedral dedicated to the saint of kicking basketball ass. And, for those of you who are too young or don't remember, they actually had things called "plays".

FAX

FAX
03-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Growing up in the Portland area, I HATED the Lakers. The Blazers had some good teams but couldn't get past the Lakers.

The only Laker I really liked was that forward they had ... James Worthy. The best first step in the post I ever saw and probably ever will see.

FAX

Psyko Tek
03-18-2010, 03:18 PM
hate, hate, hate, the lakers
don't like boston much either
but those 2 were the best

they did save the NBA
jordan made it more popular
and Sir Charles is my role model

Baby Lee
03-18-2010, 03:35 PM
This showed up on my DVR same day as the new 30 for 30 documenting the Pacers/Knicks rivalry in the Reggie Miller era. Also good stuff. Reggie's 8 points in 6 seconds is an all time classic.

Baby Lee
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
The only Laker I really liked was that forward they had ... James Worthy. The best first step in the post I ever saw and probably ever will see.

FAX

That steal he had in the finals where he intercepted it at the top of the key, dribbled ONCE at midcourt* and dunked from the free throw line melted my brain.

* not traveling, he just covered so much ground so fast that he only HAD to dribble once.

jiveturkey
03-18-2010, 03:43 PM
I wonder if this will come to Netflixs. I'd love to see it.

I grew up watching that rivalry and how awesome that it was followed by the Jordan era?

FAX
03-18-2010, 03:59 PM
That steal he had in the finals where he intercepted it at the top of the key, dribbled ONCE at midcourt* and dunked from the free throw line melted my brain.

* not traveling, he just covered so much ground so fast that he only HAD to dribble once.

LOL

Worthy was an amazing athlete. A freak, really. His first step was so fast, it was as though he could disappear in one spot and reappear in another. Kind of like that X-guy with the tail except no smoke.

People naturally think of Kareem and Johnson ... or even Byron Scott, but Worthy was a huge piece of that Laker team that most people don't think about.

FAX

Cntrygal
03-18-2010, 04:31 PM
My dad, brother and I would watch those guys play and then head out to play hoops afterwards. I can't stand watching the thugs play ball now.

cardken
03-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I too watched it twice, I was in Jr. High, and High School about the age of 14--18 when this rivalry was going on. And even though I was living in K.C., miles away and stuck in the middle, I was a die hard Celtics fan and therefore a huge Bird fan. Those Finals in those years were insane. I remember staying up and watching them all in their entirety, was the only time I was a fan of Pro Basketball. Seeing these guys play, in their 5-6 years in the league, their teams talent, in their prime. It was Magical. Thanks HBO.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2010, 04:43 PM
heh...the incredible thing i learned from this doc, was that before Magic and Bird, the NBA finals was shown on tape delay. ROFL

SCTrojan
03-18-2010, 06:14 PM
If I remember correctly, the 1979 tourney was the first expanded field with seeding. Michigan State completely destroyed Penn in the semis and Indiana State squeaked by a pretty great DePaul team with Mark Aguire.

I remember the championship game as never being in doubt even though the final score was fairly close. Magic had Greg Kelser on his team and Bird didn't really have a teammate like that who could lighten the load.

Blitz
03-18-2010, 06:40 PM
My dad, brother and I would watch those guys play and then head out to play hoops afterwards. I can't stand watching the thugs play ball now.

Yet you watch the NFL.

Get out of here with the racist shit. The only reason you don't mind the black players in the NFL is because they were helmets.

KChiefs1
03-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Once they retired I stopped watching the NBA.

Pioli Zombie
03-18-2010, 07:18 PM
It was great living in New England in the 80's, when spring came and the playoffs started. You always hoped for a Celtics-Lakers final. And in the early 80's the Celtics-76ers in the ECF's. The early years of Larry's career, when he wasn't as bulked up and his hair was long, to see him play game after game, it was indeed magical. And before he hurt his foot in 1987, Kevin McHale was amazing as well. What made those Celtics-Lakers games so great was you had 7 or 8 guys on each team could create their own offense. There is nothing like it now.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
03-18-2010, 07:31 PM
It was great living in New England in the 80's, when spring came and the playoffs started. You always hoped for a Celtics-Lakers final. And in the early 80's the Celtics-76ers in the ECF's. The early years of Larry's career, when he wasn't as bulked up and his hair was long, to see him play game after game, it was indeed magical. And before he hurt his foot in 1987, Kevin McHale was amazing as well. What made those Celtics-Lakers games so great was you had 7 or 8 guys on each team could create their own offense. There is nothing like it now.
Posted via Mobile Device

It wasn't just offense, either. Albeit admittedly dim, I can recall several of those playoff games that were decided in the last minutes (or seconds) on a steal. It almost seemed as though whichever team needed the ball found a way to get their hands on it.

Makes you wonder about the role of officiating in some of those games, though.

FAX

KCChiefsMan
03-18-2010, 09:01 PM
I think that rivalries are dead in all of pro sports. The rivalries only still exist with the fans and maybe some owners. But today's coaches and players don't care one bit about their "rivals."

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 06:42 AM
McHale was extraordinarily physical considering his frame.

I saw him play the Atlanta Hawks one time when the Hawks had Moses Malone matched up against him. McHale would take the ball, post up, and Malone would put a forearm in his chest. He would hit him so hard with his forearm that it knocked the wind right the hell out of McHale's body, I swear. McHale would suck air, make his move and sink it. Every time. It was amazing to watch. Those guys left it all on the floor. In those days, the Garden was like a religious experience. It was a cathedral dedicated to the saint of kicking basketball ass. And, for those of you who are too young or don't remember, they actually had things called "plays".

FAX

Moses Malone had ridiculous strength too. I loved watching McHale. He would spin guys right out of their shoes. Great defender too. And those hairy armpits and the whole Frankenstein thing just capped it all off. ROFL

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Being a Celtics fan in the 80s was certainly great. Alot of of great moments and memories. I remember being VERY pissed that the Rockets beat the Lakers in '86 because we wanted revenge for '85 and were 100% certain we would destroy them. That '86 team was absurd.

It's really too bad McHale broke his foot in '87. If it wasn't for that we would definitely have had a much better chance in the finals against the Lakers that year. After that, we were basically passing the torch to the Pistons and ThugBall. I think about the only thing Lakers and Celtics fans agreed on in those days was that the Pistons and their brand of basketball completely sucked.

One of my many happy Celtics memories from the 80s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3tc7TXMBT8

Deberg_1990
03-19-2010, 06:54 AM
After that, we were basically passing the torch to the Pistons and ThugBall. I think about the only thing Lakers and Celtics fans agreed on in those days was that the Pistons and their brand of basketball completely sucked.

heh...yea no doubt. The doc briefly mentions the incident where Isiah and Rodman commented on Bird not being very good and only getting run because he was white.

What a couple of D-bags...

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Here's a GREAT example of both class in losing, and the level of hatred the Celtics and Lakers had. In '82, the 76ers and Celtics met in the Eastern Conference Finals. The 76ers won (Dr. J, Moses, and their two excellent guards, Toney and the other guy, the Celtic killer, whose name shall not be mentioned). In the deciding game, with the 76ers up by whatever points, at Boston Garden, the Celtics fans are chanting "BEAT LA", telling the 76ers to beat the hated Lakers.

And they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksoRtL3rcts

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 06:58 AM
heh...yea no doubt. The doc briefly mentions the incident where Isiah and Rodman commented on Bird not being very good and only getting run because he was white.

What a couple of D-bags...

That they were. Even though I hated them, I had tremendous respect for the 76ers and Lakers teams of that era, and their players. The Pistons players could all die in a fire. No respect.

Magic answers this himself at the beginning of this clip"

Alot of black guys will ask me, "could Larry Bird really play that good?" And I say, "Man, Larry Bird was so good it was frightening."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvo7__wwBU

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 07:14 AM

I always like Drexler. Clyde the Glide. I always felt bad for some teams, like Portland and, especially in my case, because I saw them so often and could appreciate that they really were GOOD, the Bucks. But they were just never going to be good enough, and poor Don Nelson (former Celtic) with his disheveled hair, trying to figure out how to make it happen.

FAX
03-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Moses Malone had ridiculous strength too. I loved watching McHale. He would spin guys right out of their shoes. Great defender too. And those hairy armpits and the whole Frankenstein thing just capped it all off. ROFL

My favorite was that wacky "over/under" move of his. He would fake the ball up, bring it back down, spin inside on his pivot foot, switch the ball to his left hand, and lay it up. All in one, fluid, seamless move. Impossible to defend unless you anticipated the "under" part. But if you did that, he'd just bank it in. McHale was a freaking machine in the post.

FAX

FAX
03-19-2010, 07:49 AM
I always like Drexler. Clyde the Glide. I always felt bad for some teams, like Portland and, especially in my case, because I saw them so often and could appreciate that they really were GOOD, the Bucks. But they were just never going to be good enough, and poor Don Nelson (former Celtic) with his disheveled hair, trying to figure out how to make it happen.

Clyde the Glide. Another great post player. Remember the Phi Slama Jama?

FAX

Pioli Zombie
03-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Being a Celtics fan in the 80s was certainly great. Alot of of great moments and memories. I remember being VERY pissed that the Rockets beat the Lakers in '86 because we wanted revenge for '85 and were 100% certain we would destroy them. That '86 team was absurd.

It's really too bad McHale broke his foot in '87. If it wasn't for that we would definitely have had a much better chance in the finals against the Lakers that year. After that, we were basically passing the torch to the Pistons and ThugBall. I think about the only thing Lakers and Celtics fans agreed on in those days was that the Pistons and their brand of basketball completely sucked.

One of my many happy Celtics memories from the 80s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3tc7TXMBT8
What people forget too is that before McHale broke his foot he was a MONSTER on defense. Unstoppable in the post and he shut down the opponants big men. For a stretch there between 84 and 87 McHale was a top 15 of all time player. In 1986 I used to love the rare games that they got behind and they would put out a lineup of Parish,Walton,and McHale upfront with Bird and DJ in the backcourt and I still say that was the best the NBA ever saw.
Posted via Mobile Device

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-19-2010, 08:38 AM
While there's no denying the Magic/Bird rivalry (and some tremendous games they had between them), I still love the old McDonald's commercial featuring Bird and Jordan.

"Over the freeway, through the window, off the scoreboard, nothing but net."
*swish*

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-19-2010, 08:42 AM
I still remember the older Lakers/Celtics rivalry too.

I remember watching the old Laker teams that featured Jerry West, Connie Hawkins (the former Globetrotter with the incredibly huge hands), Chamberlain, Gail Goodrich.

Still remember the backcourt of JoJo White and John Havlichek for the Celtics too.

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 09:36 AM

FAX

Sadly, I never got into college basketball, so while I heard alot about it, I never saw or knew all that much about them.

Frankly, it says alot that I even get the reference, because in my whole life I have literally watched maybe 3 college basketball games from beginning to end. And two of those was because I was there in person. :O

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 09:43 AM
While there's no denying the Magic/Bird rivalry (and some tremendous games they had between them), I still love the old McDonald's commercial featuring Bird and Jordan.

"Over the freeway, through the window, off the scoreboard, nothing but net."
*swish*

Heh. "No Dunking!"

You can see them all on YouTube. When the Celtics were drivign for their most recent Championship I got nostalgic and started looking at all the vidoes relating to the 80s Celtics on YouTube. Some great stuff.

I can't find, and maybe it doesn't exist on film, Michael Jordan's quote about Bird. Apparently a writer or someone asked him at some point "Other than yourself, if you had to pick someone to shoot a game-winning..."

And before the guy even finished the question, Jordan said "Bird". Nice.

I still remember Jordan dropping 63 on the Celtics in the playoffs -- and thinking "damn, that guys pretty good. Gotta keep an eye on him!" :D

seclark
03-19-2010, 09:45 AM

FAX

ooga ooga i'm a cooga!
sec

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 09:46 AM

I remember watching the old Laker teams that featured Jerry West, Connie Hawkins (the former Globetrotter with the incredibly huge hands), Chamberlain, Gail Goodrich.

Still remember the backcourt of JoJo White and John Havlichek for the Celtics too.

That's alot of memory. I've read many books by the old time Celtics -- Auerbach, Cousy and Russell. I also have a Celtics 6 or 8 disk video collection of their entire history. Good stuff.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
That's alot of memory. I've read many books by the old time Celtics -- Auerbach, Cousy and Russell. I also have a Celtics 6 or 8 disk video collection of their entire history. Good stuff.

I remember watching one game on a Sunday afternoon. I don't recall who the hell the Lakers were playing, but Chamberlain had just grabbed a rebound and Hawkins was making a break for the other end.

Chamberlain whipped a pass down the court but it was way over Hawkins's head. Connie put on a burst of speed, jumped up and snagged the ball with one hand and whipped it behind his back before crashing into the seats. Hit Goodrich in stride at the free throw line who just layed it into the basket like they'd practiced that play a hundred times.

The announcers couldn't say a word. It was just dead air as the camera kept flashing between Hawkins climbing out of the crowd and the announcers just sitting there slackjawed.

Probably one of the greatest plays I ever saw.

Hydrae
03-19-2010, 10:13 AM

That team would have rocked the league if they could have gotten Sabonis over here before his knees were shot.

I was very happy for Clyde when he got a ring in Houston. Same for Terry Porter later with San Antonio. My favorite player though may have been Jerome Kersey.

Hydrae
03-19-2010, 10:15 AM

FAX

That final against North Carolina (if I am remembering correctly) was great. He and Olajuwon worked together extremely well.

RJ
03-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I was an NBA fan from the days of Earl the Pearl and Clyde and Wilt and on through the Magic/Bird era. The NBA was a great league then. Unfortunately, I can barely watch it today. Looks like a completely different game to me.

Yeah, plays. I remember plays.

McHale, btw, was a freak. A 6'11" Rubber Band Man. I loved those Celtic teams. Except for Ainge. He made too many cry baby faces.

I remember a playoff game between the Celtics and Hawks. Bird and Dominique were both completely on fire. It was like there were only two players on the court. What a show.

Laker/Celtic games were a reason to be home in front of the TV. Never wanted to miss one.

I miss those days.

RJ
03-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Hawkins was an amazing athlete. I don't remember him as a Laker. Was it late in his career?

Speaking of Hawkins, anyone remember the SNL bit with Paul Simon and Hawkins playing one on one to "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard"?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Hawkins was an amazing athlete. I don't remember him as a Laker. Was it late in his career?

Speaking of Hawkins, anyone remember the SNL bit with Paul Simon and Hawkins playing one on one to "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard"?

I want to say early 70s.

He was there during the transition from Wilt to Kareem.

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 12:57 PM
I remember a playoff game between the Celtics and Hawks. Bird and Dominique were both completely on fire. It was like there were only two players on the court. What a show.

The entire 4th quarter of that game is on YouTube. At least the shots they made. Ridiculous. And I remember the game also. Those two were out of control. 2 guys trying to win a game, and 8 others wondering how they could try to help, or if they should just pull up a seat and watch...

RJ
03-19-2010, 01:21 PM
The entire 4th quarter of that game is on YouTube. At least the shots they made. Ridiculous. And I remember the game also. Those two were out of control. 2 guys trying to win a game, and 8 others wondering how they could try to help, or if they should just pull up a seat and watch...

Yes, a really amazing performance by two great players. I just remember being glued to the television while they matched each other basket for basket. There was never any doubt who was getting the ball.

Thanks for the YouTube tip, I'm gonna look that up.

L.A. Chieffan
03-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Kevin Mchale can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

L.A. Chieffan
03-19-2010, 03:03 PM
FUCK YOU MCHALE

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/06/02/1212443006_2312-1.jpg

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Kevin Mchale can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

Special hate for this one Celtic, or just a general hate for all Celtics? I assume it stems from the Rambis clothesline?

RNR
03-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Special hate for this one Celtic, or just a general hate for all Celtics? I assume it stems from the Rambis clothesline?

He is one of my alltime favorites~

Amnorix
03-19-2010, 09:27 PM
He is one of my alltime favorites~

I just watched a YouTube film on McHale and it reminded me of one thing -- I swear to God nobody ever shot as many shots with his defender's BACK to him. With all his spin moves he could get a guy so fouled up he was literally turned and facing the basket before Kevin had even made his shot.

He was really just a hell of a lot of fun to watch. McHale in the post was like Michelangelo with a paintbrush

penchief
03-19-2010, 09:29 PM
I grew up a Knicks fan but for a decade I loved watching the celtics more. One of the things my ex-wife and I loved doing together was watching the celtics play during that run. Those celtics-lakers contests really captured our attention.

Bird's court awareness was uncanny. It literally made watching basketball exciting waiting for the his next unlikely play. He had eyes in the back of his head. I loved his passing. And I loved how he would go up for an offensive rebound and turn it into a one-handed tip pass to a teammate for an easy bucket.

ragedogg69
03-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I loved this doc. Watching the highlights, I couldnt help but to think "are there any players today that are this complete?" I had Suns season tickets for the previous 4 years and have seen maybe 2 or 3 plays that were Magic or Bird-esc. Lebron is great but does he make his team mates better or can score regularly with his back to the basket? No. Can Kobe create shots for his teammates like Bird or Magic did? no.

Its kinda sad that this entire generation of basketball has that 70's ABA "me first" attitude that they mention in the documentary. Not a black/white problem. Just a quality of play problem. I think we will have to wait a long time to see a player that could even compare to Bird or Magic.

Sadly i didnt get into the NBA(or sports in general) until '93 when Barkley arrived at the Suns. So I missed these glory days.

FAX
03-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I just watched a YouTube film on McHale and it reminded me of one thing -- I swear to God nobody ever shot as many shots with his defender's BACK to him. With all his spin moves he could get a guy so fouled up he was literally turned and facing the basket before Kevin had even made his shot.

He was really just a hell of a lot of fun to watch. McHale in the post was like Michelangelo with a paintbrush

No question. I wonder if there's a McHale highlight reel on Youtube or somewhere. People who weren't able to watch him play have probably never seen post play like that ... at least I've never seen anybody with his combination of moves.

To me, he just looked like a big, gangly kid. Watching him live, though, I was amazed at how physical he was. I think other teams thought they could out-muscle him ... you know, that that would be the way to take away his game. Didn't work, though.

I also think that, back in those days, the Celtics were amazingly competitive. I don't watch a lot of NBA now (I'm not crazy about the run & dunk game), so I don't know if they play with the same attitude. But, the Celtics - to a man - were a very competitive bunch. They wanted to win every night. Of course, when you're in the Garden and you see all those pennants hanging from the ceiling, it probably makes a player want to rise to the occasion ... but still.

I loved the old Garden. It reminded me of a small high school court, to be honest. The ancient, old ushers in the red coats. The goals sort of hauled out from the sides and sandbagged. The parquet had holes in it. But the seats were completely full of raging, insane fans. Awesome place.

FAX

RJ
03-19-2010, 10:23 PM
The other teams used to call McHale "Herman Munster". There was a resemblance.

L.A. Chieffan
03-20-2010, 02:05 AM
rambis clothesline was bad. blatant piss poor celtic favortism while gm of another team is even worse
Posted via Mobile Device

Amnorix
03-20-2010, 11:52 AM
rambis clothesline was bad. blatant piss poor celtic favortism while gm of another team is even worse
Posted via Mobile Device

In all seriousness, the beneficiary of the Kobe "I won't play for anyone else" and the Gasol trade is in absolutely NO position to bitch about anything when it comes to player recruitment/trades. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Baby Lee
04-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Am I some kind of gutless wonder if I love Magic and Bird? I recall the 87 skyhook killing me at least as much [for the time] as a certain place kicker would in the mid-90s. But I always took a great deal of sustenance in the knowledge that, whomever lost, lost to the 'baddest marthafocker out there.' It was amazing to watch this show an alternatively tear up over what happened to Bird, then what happened to Magic, and to realize that both were a big part of who I am. And then to end with Barcelona, . . . and whiter than Wayne Brady Brayant saying 'eff Michael Jordan saving the NBA, Magic and Bird saved the NBA'

. . . . as the Four Seasons sang, 'Oh what a night.'

Did I mention this docu made me tear up SEVERAL times?

Still recall joking on the playground, Magic good news/bad news: ie, 'he'll live to 100 . . . . . . pounds.'

Owa Thomas Iam.