PDA

View Full Version : Science Interesting...dogs are from the Middle East.

|Zach|
03-19-2010, 03:32 AM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124768140&sc=nl&cc=brk-20100318-0938&ps=brk-mp

Modern dogs are descended from wolves, but the question has been: which wolves? Now, scientists at the University of California, Los Angeles say they have the answer. By comparing the DNA from both dogs and wolves, the UCLA researchers say the first place that domesticated dogs called home was somewhere in the Middle East.

Robert Wayne, who led the research team, says he was somewhat surprised by the result. "Previous papers have suggested it was East Asia," he says. But Wayne says those papers focused on a small subset of DNA called mitochondrial DNA, instead of looking across all 2.4 billion letters that make up the dog genome.

To come up with their results, Wayne and his colleagues studied DNA from more than 200 wild gray wolves. "We looked at wolf populations in Europe, the Middle East and East Asia and from China," he says. In each case, they sought out and found genetic markers that were unique to these different wolf populations. So, for example, there were some markers that were only found in Chinese wolves, and others only found in Middle Eastern wolves.

'Dominant Signal Comes From The Middle East'

Then they analyzed DNA from more than 900 dogs from 85 breeds, and looked to see which of the wolf markers dogs most closely resembled. It turns out that most dogs shared markers unique to Middle Eastern wolves, although there were some dog breeds that were closer to other wolf populations.

"Many wolf populations may have contributed to the genomic diversity of dogs, but the dominant signal comes from the Middle East," says Wayne. The new research appears in the journal Nature.

"I can't say that I am surprised by the results," says Tamar Dayan, a zoologist at Tel Aviv University in Israel. "I would have been surprised if they were different."

Dayan says dog skeletons 12,000 or 13,000 years old have been found in what is now northern Israel. "They're found in burials with humans in a very clear human context."

This is probably not the final word on the subject of dog domestication. Some scientists think Wayne and his colleagues are barking up the wrong tree, so to speak. But Wayne plans to gather more genetic data that he hopes will fill in any gaps in the history of dog domestication.

Coach
03-19-2010, 04:06 AM
Woof.

Slainte
03-19-2010, 04:28 AM
Ironic, in that some mideast cultures consider the dog as a filthy, loathsome creature...

Fritz88
03-19-2010, 05:30 AM
not surprising, a shepherd's best friend is a loyal dog.

FAX
03-19-2010, 05:36 AM
I thought we (the general public at large and everybody like laypeople) already knew this.

FAX

Braincase
03-19-2010, 05:59 AM
(/Achmed the Dead Terrorist on) Are they.... INFIDEL DOGS? (/Achmed the Dead Terrorist off)

Hydrae
03-19-2010, 07:00 AM
(/Achmed the Dead Terrorist on) Are they.... INFIDEL DOGS? (/Achmed the Dead Terrorist off)

Dun Ham rep

ChiefsCountry
03-19-2010, 07:06 AM
I thought we (the general public at large and everybody like laypeople) already knew this.

FAX

Isn't it common sense, I mean humans started out in the middle east first. Just natural dogs would as well.

Fairplay
03-19-2010, 07:06 AM
I agree with FAX, i thought this was a well known fact already.

BigMeatballDave
03-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Humans started out in africa. Isn't it common sense, I mean humans started out in the middle east first. Just natural dogs would as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Radar Chief
03-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Isn't it common sense, I mean humans started out in the middle east first. Just natural dogs would as well.

You would think. Like the zoologist from Tel Aviv said, I’d be surprised if they came to a different conclusion.

BigMeatballDave
This is news to me...I thought we (the general public at large and everybody like laypeople) already knew this.

FAX
Posted via Mobile Device

Hydrae
Humans started out in africa.
Posted via Mobile Device

Civilization started in the Middle East.

Of course domesticating dogs predates our civilization though.

Radar Chief
03-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Humans started out in africa.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, depending on who you're reading it all started in East Africa, and supposedly the first place they started migrating to was the Middle East.

FAX
03-19-2010, 07:39 AM
This is news to me...
Posted via Mobile Device

It's just one of those obscure factoids that I thought was already generally known. Either that, or I've seen a pack of dogs in turbans and jelabiya someplace.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
03-19-2010, 07:39 AM
That doesn't mean humans started in the middle east. The oldest human fossels were found in africa. Civilization started in the Middle East.

Of course domesticating dogs predates our civilization though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fairplay
03-19-2010, 07:46 AM
The professor of Dogology will be on the forum shortly to discuss his views on the matter.

Professor Dog Face has a keen sense of smell and licks his own balls.

Radar Chief
03-19-2010, 07:47 AM
The professor of Dogology will be on the forum shortly to discuss his views on the matter.

Professor Dog Face has a keen sense of smell and licks his own balls.

Thus explaining why he's not here already.

BigMeatballDave
03-19-2010, 07:49 AM

Professor Dog Face has a keen sense of smell and. licks his own balls.lucky bastard
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
03-19-2010, 07:50 AM

Dammit. I hate it when someone steals my joke. And my version was gonna be much better. I was gonna be all NO! THE INFIDEL DOGS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FROM THE WEST! YOUR HEATHEN LIFESTYLES CORRUPT OUR WAY OF LIFE AND DESTROY US! YOU ARE THE REAL DOGS! AND ALLAH WILL SEE THAT YOU PAY FOR YOUR CRIMES! ULLLULULULULULUUUUUUU!

BigMeatballDave
03-19-2010, 07:50 AM
LMAOThus explaining why he's not here already.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadHawk
03-19-2010, 10:01 AM
People get paid for this crap? Who gives a damn about a dog geneology. Find a cure for cancer.

CoMoChief
03-19-2010, 10:03 AM
People get paid for this crap? Who gives a damn about a dog geneology. Find a cure for cancer.

We won't be able to once this HC bill passes.

Delano
03-19-2010, 10:40 AM

President Obama appreciates your endorsement of his vision.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
03-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I would rather save my dog than a person from the middle east

aturnis
03-19-2010, 11:18 AM

Why is that?

Demonpenz
03-19-2010, 11:20 AM
CoMo puts an extra pair of shoes in the cieling tiles at work, because when he shits and pukes after a hangover it smells so nasty he doesn't want his shoes to give it away who it is at work

notorious
03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Civilization started in the Middle East.

Yet being civilized ceases to exist in the Middle East. Hmmmmmmm.

Dogs are the only thing positive to come out of that poor excuse for a "civilization".

Oh ya, oil too. :)

Radar Chief
03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Yet being civilized ceases to exist in the Middle East. Hmmmmmmm.

Dogs are the only thing positive to come out of that poor excuse for a "civilization".

Oh ya, oil too. :)

My theory is space aliens came down and taught them algebra, how to build pyramids then left saying, “Don’t do anything until we get back.”

notorious
03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
My theory is space aliens came down and taught them algebra, how to build pyramids then left saying, “Don’t do anything, except kill each other and the innocent, until we get back.”

FYP

Frankie
03-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Ironic, in that some mideast cultures consider the dog as a filthy, loathsome creature...

Actually, Islam considers dogs unclean/uncleanable. But they are far from loathsome in those cultures. They are generally well liked and have been used in herding, etc..

notorious
03-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Actually, Islam considers dogs unclean/uncleanable. But they are far from loathsome in those cultures. They are generally well liked and have been used in herding, etc..

I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but it's definitely dirty.......

Rain Man
03-19-2010, 05:08 PM
At long last, I know why I can't buy an airline ticket for a dog.

teedubya
03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I now know who to blame for the huge pile of dog shit in my yard.

BigMeatballDave
03-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but it's definitely dirty.......:D Nice Pulp Fiction reference...

WhitiE
03-19-2010, 06:09 PM
kill em like dogs?