PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Directv legal/safety question

IA_Chiefs_fan
03-20-2010, 09:37 PM
I've had signal issues lately. This past Tuesday a technician came and replaced the multi-switch in my basement. He couldn't check the dish on the roof because he didn't have a ladder tall enough. I had good service for about 36 hours. I called Directv again.

They sent someone else out this morning. He was in over his head and without a tall ladder despite my insistance with customer service. He had a series of "fixes". 1-Replace an incoming cable that he said "tested excessive". 2-That didn't work so he decided to eliminate the grounding block located on my deck about 12 feet before the cables enter my basement. 3-That didn't work so he replaced the multi-switch again.

He asked me to go check the channels. They all seemed to work! He left and a couple hours later I started having issues again. I'm now, once again, without television. They say they'll send someone else again next week :-(

Did he violate law by removing the grounding block and just using an in-line connector? Did he increase risk to my tv and equipment? He said he connected a ground wire to the multi-switch which is located about 12 feet into my basement. Do I have something to worry about here?

Bwana
03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Hmmm? I would PM Skip. When you reach Skip tell him to get his ass back in here.

Cheers,

Bwana

Bane
03-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Hmmm? I would PM Skip. When you reach Skip tell him to get his ass back in here.

Cheers,

Bwana

This.

cabletech94
03-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Grounding technically speaking is generally for protection of the technician working on the house (at least w/ the cable co.).

rtmike
03-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Make sure you mention your concern over missing certain shows/movies. I had problems with my Sunday Ticket here a while back & expressed my concern over missing my team play one week.

They gave us 90 days of free movie channels to help make up for it. I suppose I could have told them who my team was hoping for pity. They may have given us a year of movies free instead or my luck the service rep would have been a Raider fan.