PDA

View Full Version : KU Next year

DJay23
03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
We lost. It sucks. But we can sit here and feel sorry for ourselves, or we can look on the bright side, and realize that what lays ahead will be pretty good.

Here's what I think for next season:

Starters:
PG - Selby: I think we land him and his ability trumps Tyshawn's experience
SG - Johnson: Tyshawn may start the season there, but I think EJ, even a year younger is more mature than Taylor.
SF - Little: Judging by Mario's reaction after the game yesterday, he really wanted this for a team he didn't log a minute for. As a 5th year senior, who's gone through a lot of adversity, I think he'll make a HUGE impact next year. Could see time at PF just to get him on the floor, but we're already pretty deep at the post.
PF - Marcus: Could be all Big XII, player of the year time year next year for him. If he continues his progression upward. I don't think he'll go pro yet. One more year of development like we saw this year could land him in the lottery.
C/PF - Markieff: Showed some big improvement down the stretch this season. Will continue to be that steady role player rather than a show stopper. He won't bring in Aldrich numbers, but I can see him averaging 10 and 7 easily.

Guard rotation:
Releford: All accounts are that he and Little were two of the best players on the floor any given practice. If his perimeter game has improved as much as some reports indicate, he and Little could see time on the floor together.

Taylor: His athleticism will get him on the court, but I just don't see "it" with him. To tell the truth, if he were to transfer, I wouldn't be all that upset.

Reed: I think he's our heart and soul next season. They guy busts his ass non stop. I wouldn't be upset if he starts next year, especially early. We know he can shoot and that he's not flashy with the ball, but he doesn't turn it over.

Woolridge: Hopefully he can play his way into some minutes where EJ couldn't.

Bigs rotation:
Robinson: An offseason with Danny and the Morrises could be the difference for him. He reminds me a lot of Gooden his freshman year. So full of energy and moves, but just has the accelerator pinned. He has to learn how to slow down.
Withey: Seems to have a soft touch offensively, and at least a few moves in his bag. We know he can block shots. An offseason with Hudy could be the difference between him starting or coming in off the bench.

Coaching staff:
Self: Steady as a rock. We can nit pick in hindsight when he should have started pressing, but he's won a national title and we haven't.
Dooley: His name has come up for some open positions. He may be gone.
Manning: I hope Danny stays forever. He's done wonders for guys like Jackson, Kaun, the Morrises, and hopefully he can whip Robinson into shape.
Townsend: Keep getting those big recruits Coach T.

If Dooley leaves, who fills the spot? Hinson is rumored to be the next guy in. Ballard is headed to Baker. Norm Roberts is out of work as is Gillispie, though I could see Billy taking a job at a lower tier school next season.

Long post I know, but I have to turn this crappy feeling into something positive.

I hope the talk of actual basketball keeps away a certain element.

gblowfish
03-21-2010, 11:49 AM
You guys are practically in the final four already!

Silock
03-21-2010, 11:51 AM
What about Brady? He's going to be forced in there somewhere.

Also, I have serious doubts about landing Selby.

DJay23
03-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Forgot Morningstar. He took a step back this season. I'd love to see him play a roll as a special assignment defender and nothing more. His shot left him this season and if he doesn't have that he's almost worthless. He has experience though and Self loves him, so who knows. I hope other guys and play their way over him.

Saul Good
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
They could be anywhere from about 1st through 5th in the Big XII next year.

DJay23
03-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Nothing was said of where we'd go. Just a look position by position of what's coming back.

I think this team could win the Big XII and be a solid 3 seed next season. I doubt a Final Four, probably a Sweet 16 is our ceiling.

DJay23
03-21-2010, 11:56 AM
What about Brady? He's going to be forced in there somewhere.

Also, I have serious doubts about landing Selby.

I'm going to stay hopeful on Selby. I don't know a whole lot about him, but some kids want the opportunity to be the guy who brought the team back from the depths. Sort of like Wall this year.

Silock
03-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm going to stay hopeful on Selby. I don't know a whole lot about him, but some kids want the opportunity to be the guy who brought the team back from the depths. Sort of like Wall this year.

Someone here said that he was putting a lot of stock in the tournament. If that's true, we're pretty much out of the running.

DaWolf
03-21-2010, 12:01 PM
All I know is that I hope the team is hungrier next year than the one we saw this year. It was shocking how many times they just didn't go out there and put teams away with the talent they had. Caught up with them in the tourney. The real question will be who the leaders will be next year, and will those guys be able to keep the team focused?

The talent is there, but the window as the favorites has shut...

milkman
03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm pretty indifferent about the whole thing, since I only watch college hoops and most other sports as a time filler between football seasons.

But as a Chief fan, I have to say the banner call of "Wait till next year" is pretty hollow.

Just an observation from the sidelines, as it were.

DJay23
03-21-2010, 12:04 PM
All I know is that I hope the team is hungrier next year than the one we saw this year. It was shocking how many times they just didn't go out there and put teams away with the talent they had. Caught up with them in the tourney. The real question will be who the leaders will be next year, and will those guys be able to keep the team focused?

The talent is there, but the window as the favorites has shut...

SOme may laugh at this, but I see Reed as one of the big leaders next year along with Litlle, even if they both come off of the bench.

DJay23
03-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Someone here said that he was putting a lot of stock in the tournament. If that's true, we're pretty much out of the running.

I hope that's inaccurate. If not, that sucks.

Silock
03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, according to the scout recruiting page, the only teams that were interested in him that were in the tourney to begin with were Tennessee, us and UK. The others didn't even make it, like UConn.

Pablo
03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
SOme may laugh at this, but I see Reed as one of the big leaders next year along with Litlle, even if they both come off of the bench.It would be fantastic if Marcus became a vocal leader in the off season. I don't see it happening; but hell, nobody saw Sherron becoming the leader he was. It's pretty apparent he's gonna be our go to scorer next year, with Reed being our big-shot guy.

KChiefs1
03-21-2010, 12:07 PM
They should just hand you guys the National Championship now.

Lzen
03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Well, according to the scout recruiting page, the only teams that were interested in him that were in the tourney to begin with were Tennessee, us and UK. The others didn't even make it, like UConn.

Well then I hope UK and Tennessee don't get any farther. At least Self has something those coaches don't have - a title.

Pablo
03-21-2010, 12:10 PM
But as a Chief fan, I have to say the banner call of "Wait till next year" is pretty hollow.

Eh, as Chiefs fans the "wait till next year" call means wait until next year when we go 9-7 and hope to squeak out a wild-card.

It's completely different with a perennial contending program.

Lzen
03-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I really don't understand the MU trolls. I mean, do you guys really get a thrill out of being assholes to the KU fans in this thread who have done nothing to deserve your crap? I mean, I know there are certain KU fans that are obnoxious and deserve the shit, but not the ones in this thread (so far). The sad thing is that I think it says a lot more about you than it does about us.

Pablo
03-21-2010, 12:11 PM
They should just hand you guys the National Championship now.Fuck off.

Nobody said anything about a NC.

milkman
03-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Eh, as Chiefs fans the "wait till next year" call means wait until next year when we go 9-7 and hope to squeak out a wild-card.

It's completely different with a perennial contending program.

Tell that to the people that thought the Chiefs were perennial contenders in the 90s.

And regardless of the differences, the fact remains, it's hollow.

DJay23
03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I really don't understand the MU trolls. I mean, do you guys really get a thrill out of being assholes to the KU fans in this thread who have done nothing to deserve your crap? I mean, I know there are certain KU fans that are obnoxious and deserve the shit, but not the ones in this thread (so far). The sad thing is that I think it says a lot more about you than it does about us.

I expect it on a board with a mix of KU, KSU, and Mizzou.

The thread was meant for us to sort of move on from this and look forward rather than wallow in self pity. Yet somehow these champions of internet burns have turned it into us proclaiming our dominance for next year.

You're right, it does make them look bad.

Lzen
03-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Tell that to the people that thought the Chiefs were perennial contenders in the 90s.

And regardless of the differences, the fact remains, it's hollow.

Not quite the same thing. KU did win a championship 2 years ago. We know know the program is capable of doing it because they have done it. The Chiefs and Chokenheimer never were able to even get to the title game.

kstater
03-21-2010, 12:23 PM
The woe is me stuff is top notch fellas.

Reaper16
03-21-2010, 12:26 PM

They should just hand you guys the National Championship now.
That is just a blatant mischaracterization of the discussion happening in this thread. C'mon now.

milkman
03-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Not quite the same thing. KU did win a championship 2 years ago. We know know the program is capable of doing it because they have done it. The Chiefs and Chokenheimer never were able to even get to the title game.

I get that.

But I imagine the feeling is much the same for you as the feeling I experienced in '71.

OnTheWarpath15
03-21-2010, 12:30 PM

I have no allegiance either way, but I hate that guys like you, Guru and Monty - the 1% of KU fan that isn't full douchebag has to take the heat for the other 99% who are here constantly running their yap, year after year, then disappear when you guys get knocked out by a huge underdog.

Best thing you can do is stay out of the fray, or plead to the douchebag 99%ers to quit acting like arrogant, entitled pricks year after year.

They've brought it on themselves, unfortunately, guys like you have to put up with the inevitable response to their douchebaggery.

KChiefs1
03-21-2010, 12:31 PM
That is just a blatant mischaracterization of the discussion happening in this thread. C'mon now.

You are right but are you trying to tell me that if this was a MU thread about how great we are going to be next year there wouldn't be some KU brethren giving their two cents on it?:)

kstater
03-21-2010, 12:33 PM
You are right but are you trying to tell me that if this was a MU thread about how great we are going to be next year there wouldn't be some KU brethren giving their two cents on it?:)

delusions of grandeur

Reaper16
03-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh they'd be up in that shit for sure.

But I carry myself outside the realm of trolldom and I expect the same out of everyone for every fanbase.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-21-2010, 12:38 PM
I have no allegiance either way, but I hate that guys like you, Guru and Monty - the 1% of KU fan that isn't full douchebag has to take the heat for the other 99% who are here constantly running their yap, year after year, then disappear when you guys get knocked out by a huge underdog.

Best thing you can do is stay out of the fray, or plead to the douchebag 99%ers to quit acting like arrogant, entitled pricks year after year.

They've brought it on themselves, unfortunately, guys like you have to put up with the inevitable response to their douchebaggery.

Absolutely. Bearcat, Silock, and others are included as well. I've absolutely loved every minute of some of those guys who troll rival fans game threads getting their panties bunched up over this. I'm sorry for a lot of you as well. I've largely kept my mouth shut, but it's been hard.

BWillie
03-21-2010, 12:40 PM

If Knight goes to UK, I doubt Selby would want to follow. Looks like UK is the clear favorite for Knight right now. Selby hasn't went on any visits since the KU visit. He has pretty much canceled them all. He said he was too tired to go to UK, and had "car trouble" so he couldn't make it to UCONN. I think chances are about 60% we land Selby. Selby is set to announce at a Nike All-American game, and Kansas is an Adidas school so that is the only reason I am questioning he would come to KU.

ArrowheadHawk
03-21-2010, 12:41 PM
I expect to be in the top 15-25 range next year. With or without Selby. It time to show the depth that this team had but was never utilized.

Reaper16
03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
If Knight goes to UK, I doubt Selby would want to follow. Looks like UK is the clear favorite for Knight right now. Selby hasn't went on any visits since the KU visit. He has pretty much canceled them all. He said he was too tired to go to UK, and had "car trouble" so he couldn't make it to UCONN. I think chances are about 60% we land Selby. Selby is set to announce at a Nike All-American game, and Kansas is an Adidas school so that is the only reason I am questioning he would come to KU.
Good catch. Nike is too savvy to let an Adidas school land someone at a Nike event.

Pablo
03-21-2010, 12:53 PM
This will never happen. It comes with the territory. People love to hate a winner, and a winner will attract fans of all sorts(douchebags, bandwagoners, etc.) Every team has it's fair share of bad fans, but good teams just have exponentially more chances to pick up shitty fans.

99% of St. Louis Cardinals fans are total douchebags in my book, but there are a few good ones. But they win, so I really can't say too much.

BWillie
03-21-2010, 12:53 PM
**** off.

Nobody said anything about a NC.

Anybody can win the National Title up to a #8 or #9 seed. It's all about percentages. KU had about a 15% chance this year, which is about as good of a chance the best team in the country will have and they choked. Next year, if you get a #3 seed, you probably could have around a 3% chance. Hell, Missouri probably has a .03 chance to win the title this year. Will it happen? Probably not. But it could.

Pablo
03-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Anybody can win the National Title up to a #8 or #9 seed. It's all about percentages. KU had about a 15% chance this year, which is about as good of a chance the best team in the country will have and they choked. Next year, if you get a #3 seed, you probably could have around a 3% chance. Hell, Missouri probably has a .03 chance to win the title this year. Will it happen? Probably not. But it could.Yeah, when you're looking at close to a 1/7 chance of winning the whole thing you're sitting pretty.

I love the tourney because of games like this. Upsets are part of the magic that make it so enjoyable; it's unfortunate it happened to my team but I still love the tourney.

Lzen
03-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I get that.

But I imagine the feeling is much the same for you as the feeling I experienced in '71.

I wasn't born until October of 71 so I can't get that one. But I think its pretty similar to the 2003 Chiefs. Team looked great for half the season but stunk it up on the defensive end for the last half. Knew going into the playoffs that it would probably catch up with them.

This KU team didn't come out with the proper intensity from the get go in most games this year and many of us had a feeling that it might catch up to them. Sure enough, it did yesterday. I even mentioned To Guru and mikeyis4dacats during the KU/KSU game at Allen that Sherron's play had me concerned for the upcoming NCAA tourney.

Lzen
03-21-2010, 01:01 PM

You're right and I understand that. Although I don't think it's that big a percentage of douche bags. ;)
And pleading to the douches does no good. Just like pleading to the douches who are beating their chest today will do no good.

Oh well. It sucks but it doesn't change my life or anything. I'm just a fan.

OnTheWarpath15
03-21-2010, 01:03 PM
This will never happen. It comes with the territory. People love to hate a winner, and a winner will attract fans of all sorts(douchebags, bandwagoners, etc.) Every team has it's fair share of bad fans, but good teams just have exponentially more chances to pick up shitty fans.

99% of St. Louis Cardinals fans are total douchebags in my book, but there are a few good ones. But they win, so I really can't say too much.

There's the disconnect, IMO.

It's not that people hate KU because they win. Because in all honesty, what do they win? A NC once every 15 years, surrounded by losses to mid-majors? They win regular season games. Whoo.

People hate KU because the vast majority of their fanbase acts as if the entire world of CBB revolves around them.

I feel for guys like you, Bearcat and the others I named - but can't help but laugh at the others.

ArrowheadHawk
03-21-2010, 01:03 PM
You're right and I understand that. Although I don't think it's that big a percentage of douche bags. ;)
And pleading to the douches does no good. Just like pleading to the douches who are beating their chest today will do no good.

Oh well. It sucks but it doesn't change my life or anything. I'm just a fan.
:clap:

Lzen
03-21-2010, 01:04 PM

This is truth. But I also think winning lends itself to turning some fans into douches who probably wouldn't have been so bad if their team didn't always win. Goes with the territory, I guess.

EmDiggy
03-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Too many times, the media always focuses on the big names of any franchise, and there are many players that have played that were Pretty Damn Good in their own right.. So the question is:

Who is a former Chiefs player that you want fans of other teams to know about?

I plan to do a show called "The Hall of Very Good" which will include a team by team pick of "Who You Should Know About"

ArrowheadHawk
There's the disconnect, IMO.

It's not that people hate KU because they win. Because in all honesty, what do they win? A NC once every 15 years, surrounded by losses to mid-majors? They win regular season games. Whoo.

People hate KU because the vast majority of their fanbase acts as if the entire world of CBB revolves around them.

I feel for guys like you, Bearcat and the others I named - but can't help but laugh at the others.
The Jayhawks have won or shared 52 conference championships since their inception, an NCAA record.

Championships:
1922 Helms Basketball Champion - coached by Phog Allen
1923 Helms Basketball Champion - coached by Phog Allen
1952 - coached by Phog Allen, won 80-63 over St. John's
1988 - coached by Larry Brown, won 83-79 over Oklahoma
2008 - coached by Bill Self, won 75-68 over Memphis in overtime.

In 2008, ESPN ranked Kansas second on a list of the most prestigious programs of the modern college basketball era. In the last two decades, no team won more games than the Jayhawks, who won 568 games between the 1989-90 and 2008-09 seasons. Kansas also has the longest current streak of consecutive NCAA tournament appearances with 21, and has the second-longest current streak of winning seasons, at 27. Kansas is first among Division I schools in winning seasons, conference championships and first-team All Americans, and is second in wins.

kstater
Too many times, the media always focuses on the big names of any franchise, and there are many players that have played that were Pretty Damn Good in their own right.. So the question is:

Who is a former Chiefs player that you want fans of other teams to know about?

I plan to do a show called "The Hall of Very Good" which will include a team by team pick of "Who You Should Know About"

You're doing it wrong.

Saulbadguy
03-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Getting Little, Reed and Releford more minutes will be crucial to Kansas success next year, IMO. The rest of your team is very mentally soft.

ArrowheadHawk
03-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Getting Little, Reed and Releford more minutes will be crucial to Kansas success next year, IMO. The rest of your team is very mentally soft.
One comment of yours that I don't disagree with. I'm shocked.

Pablo
03-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Getting Little, Reed and Releford more minutes will be crucial to Kansas success next year, IMO. The rest of your team is very mentally soft.Yeah, that's gonna be the big problem.

I'd love for something to click with Marcus. That would makes us a better team 10x over.

Bearcat
03-21-2010, 01:27 PM

It feels like half the board is on ignore, but I guess most of them don't usually have much to contribute anyway. It's sad when it feels like I actually have to thank people for being decent about it... KcMizzou, Flopnuts, luv, WilliamTheIrish, uh....

Whatever. Nothing is going to change. If Mizzou loses today, some dumbass will create a thread about it or will troll the game thread even though they're the obvious underdog. The same thing will happen when KSU loses. It's why I take long breaks from this place.

Silock
03-21-2010, 01:38 PM
I think 90% of the douchebag fans didn't even attend KU. That's where the problem lies.

Those of us that graduated from there seem to have a little more perspective.

Saulbadguy
03-21-2010, 01:49 PM
I think 90% of the douchebag fans didn't even attend KU. That's where the problem lies.

Those of us that graduated from there seem to have a little more perspective.

Newsflash, most people who attend any sort of post-secondary education are generally a bit more level headed.

teedubya
03-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Mario Little is tough as nails, except at the end of the NCAA tourney runs.

His leadership will be a HUGE asset next year.

Good post.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Naive Nick asks:

So has there been anything in the media since the game last night regarding X or Cole returning next year?

I haven't watched the tele nor scoured the interweb since the debacle last night...:doh!:

Braincase
03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Alot of question marks out there. All I know is that KU will play basketball next season, and we'll be better than average, most likely good enough to get to the NCAA tournament. Beyond that, I don't know jack shit.

Fritz88
03-21-2010, 03:36 PM

I rooted for MU and KSU last year. Always do for big 12 teams. I did root them them this year (See my previous posts) but after the Celebration they held here after our loss, I said fuck them with exception of KCMizzuo and a few (of those who post and comment), the rest acted like pure douchebags.

BWillie
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Naive Nick asks:

So has there been anything in the media since the game last night regarding X or Cole returning next year?

I haven't watched the tele nor scoured the interweb since the debacle last night...:doh!:

If Cole does not go pro this year I am driving to Lawrence, smacking him in the face, and packing his bags for him. He would be a complete idiot to not go pro this year. He wasn't smart by not doing it last year, he cost himself millions and millions of dollars.

I'm all for representing the school, but at some point you need to do it for yourself. W/ that said, I'm sure he and X are gonzo.

POND_OF_RED
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Alot of question marks out there. All I know is that KU will play basketball next season, and we'll be better than average, most likely good enough to get to the NCAA tournament. Beyond that, I don't know jack shit.

I know one thing. The Big 12 is going to be a lot of fun to watch next season. I think the talent is going to be pretty even with the top 4-5 teams next season. I can't wait for it to get here.

beer bacon
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Kansas could easily run through the Big next season before they are bounced by a mid major in the NCAA Tournament.

|Zach|
03-21-2010, 03:59 PM
I rooted for MU and KSU last year. Always do for big 12 teams. I did root them them this year (See my previous posts) but after the Celebration they held here after our loss, I said **** them with exception of KCMizzuo and a few (of those who post and comment), the rest acted like pure douchebags.
Dance Fritz.

http://prevential.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/puppet.jpg

Fritz88
03-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Dance Fritz.

http://prevential.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/puppet.jpg

there you go

|Zach|
03-21-2010, 04:21 PM
there you go

You are so above it. Props.

KC_Connection
03-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Taylor will still start, I'm assuming, and from all accounts, Releford could be a major scorer in the Big 12 next year. I'd expect him to start over Little.

Spott
03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
It feels like half the board is on ignore, but I guess most of them don't usually have much to contribute anyway. It's sad when it feels like I actually have to thank people for being decent about it... KcMizzou, Flopnuts, luv, WilliamTheIrish, uh....

Whatever. Nothing is going to change. If Mizzou loses today, some dumbass will create a thread about it or will troll the game thread even though they're the obvious underdog. The same thing will happen when KSU loses. It's why I take long breaks from this place.

I agree. I used to come on this board a lot more but all of constant MU/KU bickering that goes on with all of the exact same arguments and insults repeated over and over really gets old. It's really gotten worse the past few years with the team's successes in both sports and the Chiefs lack of it have made it more predominant on this board.

KC_Connection
03-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty indifferent about the whole thing, since I only watch college hoops and most other sports as a time filler between football seasons.

Just an observation from the sidelines, as it were.

That's all you can do as a sports fan. It's generally very unrewarding, but occasionally, great things happen (except not for the Chiefs).

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Has Laz been pulled out of the Kaw River yet?

GoHuge
03-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Alot of question marks out there. All I know is that KU will play basketball next season, and we'll be better than average, most likely good enough to get to the NCAA tournament. Beyond that, I don't know jack shit.75% of the people with busted brackets concur. If your bracket looks good you are Nostradamus or a retard. No middle ground.

Pants
03-22-2010, 11:20 AM

Whoops, didn't see this thread. I posted a much more generelized post about this in a different thread. Yeah, Selby's mom was quoted as saying that they're waiting to see how his teams do in the tournament before he makes his decision. UConn wasn't even in the tourney, UK might win the whole fucking thing and we choked on Saturday. Also, I don't know if Selby will want to go to UK if Knight ends up there but it's possible. Another possibility is that Knight will become a Gator, which pretty much seals Selby for Coach Sleazeball.

Another thing to keep in mind: Selby has been to Lawrence twice and loved it. He canceled his trips to Lexington and Storrs, but that could all change. We all know how recruiting goes. We really need to be worried about 2012 more than anything, though.