PDA

View Full Version : KU Bill Self: Xavier Henry is ready for the NBA.

Tango&Cash
03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I guess this erases any hopes that he would be coming back for a soph season. Personally other than a handful of games, he kinda disappeared at times, especially in conference play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/03/23/self.henry.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Kansas coach Bill Self believes freshman star Xavier Henry is ready to compete in the NBA if he decides to declare for the draft.

"There's no question in my mind that he is definitely equipped and ready to be paid," Self said Tuesday. "No question. Now, the question to the family is, 'Is he ready to play and impact the NBA game?'

"I personally think he can do that. But that's something they need to decide as a group."

The 6-6 guard averaged 13.4 points for the Jayhawks, who were ousted in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Self also said he expected junior center Cole Aldrich to decide in about a week whether he will enter the NBA draft or remain for his senior season.

Henry and his older brother, C.J. Henry, signed with Kansas last year after opting out of a commitment to Memphis. Self said it would be a family decision whether Xavier Henry stays or leaves.

"I'll meet with X and see what he and his family want me to do," Self said. "I'll do whatever they want me to do, but that will be a family decision. There is no timetable I have whatsoever on them getting together and making a decision. I don't think a decision has been made yet. I think there's probably a way in which they're leaning. But we'll wait and see what happens.

"With Xavier, we knew there would be a great chance he would be one-and-done. I'll support whatever direction they go."

Self said he visited with Aldrich on Monday. The 6-11 center averaged a shade less than a double-double and set the school record for blocked shots in a season.

"To me, with Cole, it doesn't have much to do with where people have him projected (in the draft). We know he's going to get drafted pretty high," Self said. "It's what would be best for his family. It could be best for his family for Cole to come back. But I've said this all along, I'm not encouraging that at all. I think it's something he has to feel totally comfortable with."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/03/23/self.henry.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0j3C9qaVY
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Saulbadguy
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Surprised he isn't shaming him in to staying.

DJJasonp
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
I think this is coach doing X a favor (his endorsement)....to drum up interest and help his stock go up.

That said - the guy is nowhere near ready for the NBA. He cant beat people off the dribble - cant create his own shot....and doesnt defend worth a sh*t.

DeezNutz
03-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I think Cole will return. Just a guess.

And X is dumb as fuck if he doesn't leave. Leave now before he's further exposed.

BigVE
03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
X has loads of talent...the NBA drafts on potential upside as much as anything. I dont see him making it in the NBA. Needs lots of work. I dont see it.

Braincase
03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Surprised he isn't shaming him in to staying.

Unless behind the scenes he's a prima donna pain in the ass, or his brother is, or his dad makes Padgett's dad look like Ozzie Nelson.

KCChiefsMan
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
he's got pro potential. If he leaves for the NBA now, he will not ever amount to anything in the NBA. He will bounce around for team to team and make rosters, but never get any PT and will never amount to anything in the NBA.

When you go to the NBA, you have to be ready to play NOW or you have a very low chance of ever starting.

DeezNutz
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Behind the scenes?

I'd be shocked if Self doesn't want that pain-in-the-ass dad the **** gone. I don't think that Self needs ever again to repeat an episode of Summer Oklahoma City Groveling.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
no way is X ready for the NBA

he will get drafted for potential and then "get ready" but he's not even close now imo.

sedated
03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Self has never been big on getting one-and-dones.

I have a feeling he will be even more leery after this year.

IMO, I think Self wants XH gone. Self never has anything great to say about him, and always kinda refers to XH in the "family" sense.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Self has never been big on getting one-and-dones.

I have a feeling he will be even more leery after this year.

IMO, I think Self wants XH gone. Self never has anything great to say about him, and always kinda refers to XH in the "family" sense.
Self's coaching style is not conducive to one-and-dones

does he even teach offense?

he is about a system on offense and Defense,Defense,Defense.

bill self is very Shottenheimer-esque in his attitude about the game

Defense and basics ... don't get fancy and don't change.

Silock
03-23-2010, 07:32 PM
X has loads of talent...the NBA drafts on potential upside as much as anything. I dont see him making it in the NBA. Needs lots of work. I dont see it.

This. He's not ready now. He could be a great college player. I don't see him doing well in the NBA, but then, I didn't see Hinrich being a long-time NBA player, either.

sedated
03-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Self's coaching style is not conducive to one-and-dones

does he even teach offense?

oh geezus. You mean because he wants guys to listen, hustle, and play fundamental basketball?

I shoulda known you would be on your soapbox with the Self hate.

You would know the answers to all of your rhetorical questions if you paid f**king attention.

But I guess you won't be happy until Calipari is here, or Roy comes back.

sedated
03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
he is about a system on offense and Defense,Defense,Defense.

Defense never won anything

:rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
This. He's not ready now. He could be a great college player. I don't see him doing well in the NBA, but then, I didn't see Hinrich being a long-time NBA player, either.
i think Henry can make it the NBA if he learns how to handle the ball.

right now he can't dribble or shoot with his right hand worth a shit and he's ball handling is weak overall.

DeezNutz
03-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Whether or not he's "ready" is immaterial.

And Self's "system" is just fine for attracting NBA talent. Yeah, Cal's dribble-drive will likely always get the top PGs, but that's about it.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2010, 07:42 PM
oh geezus. You mean because he wants guys to listen, hustle, and play fundamental basketball?

I shoulda known you would be on your soapbox with the Self hate.

You would know the answers to all of your rhetorical questions if you paid f**king attention.

But I guess you won't be happy until Calipari is here, or Roy comes back.Defense never won anything

:rolleyes:
once again for the listening and learning impaired.......

i don't hate Bill Self AT ALL
i don't like Calipari AT ALL (honestly i don't even know where this comes from :rolleyes: )
I don't want Roy back either

jeez ... need to make up some more shit because it hurts your feelings to here anything less than glowing about Self?

i like Bill Self quite a bit ... but that doesn't keep me from seeing his weaknesses.

ROYC75
03-23-2010, 07:46 PM
X & CJ back next year is going to be a real pain with Collins gone. Carl wants both boys on the court, starting.

KCUnited
03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
NBA is a different game, they want their hands on him now. Cole has positioned his credit specifically to grad in May to go to the draft. Both are pipe dreams.

shitgoose
03-23-2010, 07:48 PM
X is ready for the NBA because he doesn't give a shit about college basketball. If he weren't forced to play a year of college than he would already be playing in the League. I think its ridiculous that players have to be one year out of high school in order to go pro. Its up to X if he will be any good at the next level. Obviously he has all the physical tools and athleticism.

He reminds me of Anthony Parker of the Cavs. Good 3pt stroke, big body, rebounds good but doesn't really put the ball on the floor.

Molitoth
03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
X will be another NBA bust. Nice short career X, hope you had fun.

googlegoogle
03-23-2010, 08:16 PM
He should have played more in that game. Should have shot more. Should have made plays just to get him open for 3's.

dirk digler
03-23-2010, 08:21 PM
That said - the guy is nowhere near ready for the NBA. He cant beat people off the dribble - cant create his own shot....and doesnt defend worth a sh*t.

This.

I haven't seen anything from Henry that makes me think he would be even decent in the NBA. Maybe in another 3-4 years.

POND_OF_RED
03-23-2010, 08:37 PM
I don't really see any of the 3 being productive for long in the NBA. Cole is the only one that stands a chance but I really don't see it. He lacks good offensive moves. Most of his offensive ability came from just being 4-5 inches taller than everyone else. He's going to look small in the NBA. I think he needs to stay and develop more of an offensive game IMO.

shitgoose
03-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't really see any of the 3 being productive for long in the NBA. Cole is the only one that stands a chance but I really don't see it. He lacks good offensive moves. Most of his offensive ability came from just being 4-5 inches taller than everyone else. He's going to look small in the NBA. I think he needs to stay and develop more of an offensive game IMO.

Aldrich will never be a dominant center in the NBA but he will be more than serviceable. That will be enough to make a good living for 8-10 seasons provided he stays healthy.

Braincase
03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Aldrich will never be a dominant center in the NBA but he will be more than serviceable. That will be enough to make a good living for 8-10 seasons provided he stays healthy.

Pollard/Ostertag/LaFrentz

Saulbadguy
03-23-2010, 09:12 PM

If he hasn't developed an offensive game that will help his NBA stock by this year, what makes you think an extra year will help? He would just be wasting a years worth of money by staying an extra year at this point.

CoMoChief
03-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Hinrich was a gym rat......he'd hustle his ass off and had a great shot.

Poor man's Steve Nash.

RealSNR
03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Take a guy like Brandon Rush who was SO much more consistent and helpful to the Jayhawks in his time at KU. He created space and made things happen when they needed to.

How's HIS NBA career working out for him so far?

I know... different positions. But still.

BWillie
03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I think this is coach doing X a favor (his endorsement)....to drum up interest and help his stock go up.

He's a projected Top 15 pick. It doesn't matter if he scores zero points a game next year. That mean's his ready.

BWillie
03-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Take a guy like Brandon Rush who was SO much more consistent and helpful to the Jayhawks in his time at KU. He created space and made things happen when they needed to.

How's HIS NBA career working out for him so far?

I know... different positions. But still.

I didn't get that impression from Brandon Rush, as in how he makes "space". Brandon Rush was a great defender, much better than X. However, X has real long arms and can get alot of steals, but still, Brandon is the much better defender.

I still don't think Brandon has learned to dribble. Not that X really can either, but X is a better slasher than Brandon ever was at KU and much stronger, and X is only a freshman. X and Brandon are probably pretty equal shooters, but Brandon is much more clutch.

All in all, X will have probably a pretty similar career to Brandon Rush. There really was no incentive for Brandon to come back after his freshman year, he never really improved his draft stock more than a few spots.

BWillie
03-23-2010, 11:12 PM

After the combine where he put up great athletic numbers I knew Kirk was going to be a long time NBA player. Never thought it would translate much to Nick Collison and Raef Lafrentz. I thought people were crazy as well for letting Paul Pierce slip down the draft. Paul Pierce was the best NBA ready player I've ever seen at KU since I was cognitive enough to watch Kansas hoops (circa 1993). I could never really get over how KU fans seemed to look over Paul Pierce, the guy was simply amazing.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-23-2010, 11:19 PM
X would be a fool to go to the NBA after this year. He is not ready.

KC_Connection
03-23-2010, 11:34 PM
If he hasn't developed an offensive game that will help his NBA stock by this year, what makes you think an extra year will help? He would just be wasting a years worth of money by staying an extra year at this point.

Yes, there's nothing left for Aldrich to gain by staying at KU. He would be crazy to pass up the NBA now.

As for Henry, one could argue that if he stayed his draft stock would improve. Even then, he would still be passing up big money to stay.

cmh6476
03-24-2010, 07:36 AM
i think what x has going for him is his size and physique. I think an NBA team would look at him and see the benefit of having him practice everyday against pro-caliber talent. It isn't whether he's ready now or not, it's that he's a beast and it may take him the same time to get "pro ready" if he stayed in school another year or two, or if he left now.

I think he's gone.

WilliamTheIrish
03-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Sidebar story not related to X.H.

Feds looking into KU Comp Tix:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/24/1833090/federal-ku-inquiries-look-into.html

================================================================

Federal and KU inquiries look into sales of Jayhawks basketball tickets
By MARK MORRIS
The Kansas City Star
More News

Federal authorities are investigating possibly illegal sales of University of Kansas men’s basketball tickets, The Kansas City Star has learned.

The probe appears to be focused on whether NCAA Tournament tickets, and perhaps season ticket packages, have been taken illegally from the university, possibly for years, and sold through outside channels. Proceeds could be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, sources said.

Lawyers with ties to the case said the investigation was in its preliminary stages.

The university has launched an internal investigation, sources said.

It’s unclear how many individuals are under investigation, how many tickets are involved and how many years are involved.

Earlier this month, Kansas administrators put a top athletic department fundraiser on an administrative leave of absence. Rodney Jones, 41, was director of KU’s athletic ticket office before becoming in 2004 the assistant athletic director in charge of the Williams Educational Fund, the primary vehicle that Jayhawk boosters use to contribute to the athletic department and acquire game tickets.

Thus far, athletic department spokesmen have declined to discuss the reason for Jones’ suspension. They offered no comment to The Kansas City Star when asked about the investigation.

“Officially we cannot comment at all, because it is a personnel matter,” Athletic Director Lew Perkins said.

Reggie Robinson, president and chief executive officer of the Kansas Board of Regents, confirmed that an investigation was under way but would not say whether that went beyond an internal probe by the university.

“There is some sort of investigation going on,” Robinson said.

Spokespeople for the FBI, the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. attorney’s office in Kansas declined to discuss any investigation.

No one answered the door at Jones’ apartment in Lawrence when a reporter recently knocked. He has not responded to a letter from The Star. A telephone number listed for Jones last year in state corporation paperwork was temporarily out of service.

Federal agents appear to be casting a wide net in search of witnesses. Two metropolitan area ticket brokers confirmed this week that they had spoken with federal agents investigating the KU ticket program.

Hal Wagner of Ace Sports & Nationwide Tickets said agents had asked him not to discuss it.

“It didn’t have anything to do with me,” Wagner said. “I really don’t have any comment.”

Another ticket broker, who asked for anonymity because of a similar request from agents, acknowledged that he recently had received a federal subpoena. He said he was not concerned.

Lawyers with clients in the case demanded anonymity, even declining to identify their clients during interviews with The Star, saying that the investigation was too sensitive to discuss publicly.

The exact theory investigators are working under is unclear. One source close to the probe said it pertained to the department’s handling of NCAA Tournament tickets, and another said the probe dealt both with season tickets and tournament tickets.

A third source, whose firm is representing a potential subject of the inquiry, confirmed the federal ticket investigation but declined to be more specific.

A critical question, one lawyer noted, is whether the staffers were legally selling tickets that they had acquired properly.

According to KU policy, athletic department staffers can receive two complimentary season tickets to football and men’s basketball games.

Saulbadguy
03-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Nothing to see here, move along...

Lzen
03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
There is always one reason for guys to come back. A chance at a championship. There is always that chance at KU while they may never see that opportunity in the NBA.
Of course, that is a small factor for most guys. Usually, the money is the big factor. And if X is really projected to make some good jack, then I don't see why he would stay.

Pants
03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
So someone is running a racket selling KU tickets? That's gotta be a pretty profitable venture.

Lex Luthor
03-24-2010, 09:00 AM
X & CJ back next year is going to be a real pain with Collins gone. Carl wants both boys on the court, starting.
That sounds like a pretty good reason to hope that X goes to the NBA. Compared to his preseason hype, X was a failure. It would be nice to have all three Henrys gone.

ArrowheadHawk
03-24-2010, 10:10 AM
I thought X was going to be a hell of a lot better player.

Mr. Laz
03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
There is always one reason for guys to come back. A chance at a championship. There is always that chance at KU while they may never see that opportunity in the NBA.
Of course, that is a small factor for most guys. Usually, the money is the big factor. And if X is really projected to make some good jack, then I don't see why he would stay.
How much does Henry care about winning in college?

I guess we will find out ... also depends on how he performs at the NBA camps in chicago.

Buehler445
03-24-2010, 10:59 AM
X would be a fool to go to the NBA after this year. He is not ready.

I said the same thing about Julian Wright.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants
03-24-2010, 12:00 PM
I said the same thing about Julian Wright.
Posted via Mobile Device

Really? JuJu was a freak of nature.

CoMoChief
03-24-2010, 12:03 PM

You put Marcus Morris' shot along with JuJu's phys talent and........

HOLE LEE SHIT!!!!

BWillie
03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
I thought X was going to be a hell of a lot better player.

I don't know who you were expecting. He was the second leading scorer at like 13.5 PPG for a team that went 33-3 and won the best conference in America by four games.

He's actually better than I thought he'd be. I didn't think he'd crack 11 or 12 PPG.

Mr. Laz
03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
You put Marcus Morris' shot along with JuJu's phys talent and........

HOLE LEE SHIT!!!!
if Marcus Morris keeps working he can be a quality NBA player imo

pretty natural shot, soft touch,solid rebounder,decent ball handler

he's big enough to pull the other guy away from the basket and put the ball on the floor and drive around them. Marcus Morris probably has a better chance in the NBAC than Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich.

KC_Connection
03-24-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't know who you were expecting. He was the second leading scorer at like 13.5 PPG for a team that went 33-3 and won the best conference in America by four games.

He's actually better than I thought he'd be. I didn't think he'd crack 11 or 12 PPG.

I was impressed by his defense more than anything. He was pretty good this year.

KC_Connection
03-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Marcus Morris probably has a better chance in the NBAC than Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich.
Except he doesn't really have a position in the NBA. He's too small to battle against the bigger PFs and not quick enough to cover the SFs.

BWillie
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I was impressed by his defense more than anything. He was pretty good this year.

Wasn't bad for a freshman. I liked his attitude. He was always smiling. Seemed to be a pretty coachable kid. I wasn't expecting that.

Extra Point
03-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Reality:

Self: X needs to go.
X: Is that really so?
Self: GTFOOH! You single-handedly ruined my recruiting and my chance for a second National Championship!
X: But my daddy wanted to be an assistant coach!
Self: Well, if your momma can't sit with your daddy, then, why would I want him sitting with me? GTFO!!!!!! Good luck in Europe. Count Basie can defend better than you ever will, and he's dead!

Mr_Tomahawk
03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Reality:

Self: X needs to go.
X: Is that really so?
Self: GTFOOH! You single-handedly ruined my recruiting and my chance for a second National Championship!
X: But my daddy wanted to be an assistant coach!
Self: Well, if your momma can't sit with your daddy, then, why would I want him sitting with me? GTFO!!!!!! Good luck in Europe. Count Basie can defend better than you ever will, and he's dead!

ROFL

Pants
03-24-2010, 04:19 PM

lol wut?

P.S. I guess there's rumblings now that we might get Selby AND Lamb - that's going to be one massive f***ing log-jam in the backcourt, unless Self does some dick moves and makes some people transfer.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-24-2010, 04:27 PM
lol wut?

P.S. I guess there's rumblings now that we might get Selby AND Lamb - that's going to be one massive f***ing log-jam in the backcourt, unless Self does some dick moves and makes some people transfer.

sources?

CoMoChief
03-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Except he doesn't really have a position in the NBA. He's too small to battle against the bigger PFs and not quick enough to cover the SFs.

If you're 6'9 and 6'10 range and have a good jumper you can play somewhere in the NBA. Plus he's physical, where they don't call fouls in the NBA.

Buehler445
03-24-2010, 07:00 PM

He was. But he didn't have much of a shot to play outside. He wasn't strong enough to play inside.

Ceej
03-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Getting BOTH Lamb and Selby would be a huge get.

But, just getting Selby would be nice too.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Has anyone followed Selby, Lamb, or Knight much?

I have read a little about each one on ESPN's scouting page. Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me a bit on who would be a better fit and why...are any of these guys looking to be one and done?

Ceej
03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Admittedly, I don't know a great deal about either Selby or Lamb.

But, here's some footage of Selby.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/36td_ejDRJ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/36td_ejDRJ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

DrRyan
03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Hinrich was a gym rat......he'd hustle his ass off and had a great shot.

Poor man's Steve Nash.

A very, very poor man's Steve Nash. IMO the Nash comparison is not a good one. Nash is a much better shooter, passer, create off the dribble PG and ball handler than Hinrich that plays almost no defense.

Mr. Laz
03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
The NBA is not like it used to be, Marcus Morris can played the 4.

Hell, does the 4 position even exist anymore?

MM will do fine in a spread offense and he will continue to get stronger so he can hold up on defense.

Silock
03-24-2010, 08:42 PM
sources?

It's all over Twitter, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Pants
03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
It's all over Twitter, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Florida dropped out of the recruiting race for Knight, which means they know something others don't and that something is that Knight is going to UK, which means Selby will probably go to KU.

Also, Lamb's mom (or dad) said that the two would declare to the same school. Apparently, Lamb really likes KU (first time I heard this). If we get both, it'll be huge. We haven't gotten 2 McD's since Sherron and Shady (so 4 years ago).

I'm 100% cool with just getting Josh, but it looks like Selby and Lamb are a package deal. Making my pants tingle just thinking about it. Both players are fucking SICK.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Florida dropped out of the recruiting race for Knight, which means they know something others don't and that something is that Knight is going to UK, which means Selby will probably go to KU.

Also, Lamb's mom (or dad) said that the two would declare to the same school. Apparently, Lamb really likes KU (first time I heard this). If we get both, it'll be huge. We haven't gotten 2 McD's since Sherron and Shady (so 4 years ago).

I'm 100% cool with just getting Josh, but it looks like Selby and Lamb are a package deal. Making my pants tingle just thinking about it. Both players are ****ing SICK.

Very cool. Thanks for the insight. Are any of these kids going to announce their decision in the very near future?

How are we looking scholarship-wise for next season?

Ceej
03-24-2010, 09:24 PM

I'm 100% cool with just getting Josh, but it looks like Selby and Lamb are a package deal. Making my pants tingle just thinking about it. Both players are ****ing SICK.

Prove it..

Aren't they committing some time in mid-April?

Saulbadguy
03-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Isn't Selby announcing at a Nike event? Would be odd but not unheard if.

Pants
03-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Prove it..

Aren't they committing some time in mid-April?

Yeah, the 17th, I believe. I can't prove shit, this is from ESPN insider who took the info from the Shiver. Take it for it's worth. It's possible that Knight and Selby or Lamb go to UK as well, since Bledsoe is most likely going league. You never know with these things.

Silock
03-24-2010, 09:34 PM

I'm 100% cool with just getting Josh, but it looks like Selby and Lamb are a package deal. Making my pants tingle just thinking about it. Both players are fucking SICK.

I just wonder how much they like KU after we crashed out in the second-worst fashion possible.

Ceej
03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
I really wouldn't know what to think of the squad if we get neither Lamb/Selby.

However, from what I've seen, Woolridge is an intriguing player.

Pants
03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Isn't Selby announcing at a Nike event? Would be odd but not unheard if.

Yeah, that's the only thing keeping me from 100% buying into all this. Kind of silly committing to an Adidas school at a Nike event. I blame Jordan for everything. :)

Silock
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
I really wouldn't know what to think of the squad if we get neither Lamb/Selby.

However, from what I've seen, Woolridge is an intriguing player.

If we get neither, we'll still be fine.

Withey, Robinson, Morrises, EJ, Releford, Little... we'll be just fine. Schools do better than we did this year with less talent than that.

Pants
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
I just wonder how much they like KU after we crashed out in the second-worst fashion possible.

Yeah, I'm worried about that too.

CoMoChief
03-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I'm worried about that too.

That doesn't matter. Look at Self's recruiting class after the Bucknell loss.

Chalmers, Rush, Wright

Ceej
03-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Withey, Robinson, Morrises, EJ, Releford, Little... we'll be just fine. Schools do better than we did this year with less talent than that.

I'm more concerned about our guard play then I am with any of our bigs. Releford and EJ are still a bit of some unknowns. I'm intrigued and excited to see how will both pan out, respectively.

Pants
03-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm more concerned about our guard play then I am with any of our bigs. Releford and EJ are still a bit of some unknowns. I'm intrigued and excited to see how will both pan out, respectively.

Our athleticism will be off the charts, decision-making, however? Not so sure... Also, remember we still have the two-headed monster, Brydel Morningreed, coming back.

Ceej
03-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Our athleticism will be off the charts, decision-making, however? Not so sure... Also, remember we still have the two-headed monster, Brydel Morningreed, coming back.

I don't mind athleticism by any means. But, our team was pretty athletic this year and look what happened. I'm not saying they're directly correlated. But, I'd love some athletic, smart, aggressive ballplayers -- again not saying that our guys are just athletes who can ball.

So, case in point, I do agree with you.

Silock
03-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I don't mind athleticism by any means. But, our team was pretty athletic this year and look what happened. I'm not saying they're directly correlated. But, I'd love some athletic, smart, aggressive ballplayers -- again not saying that our guys are just athletes who can ball.

So, case in point, I do agree with you.

I don't think any of our losses had to do with smarts. Head games, for sure. If you can combine athleticism with hunger, Self can teach them smart basketball. You can't teach someone to not take their opponent for granted. That's a hard-learned lesson.

Silock
03-24-2010, 11:03 PM

Well, Self said Releford could be a 1,000 point guy for us. I trust his judgment on that.

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 12:48 AM

It exists and a player like Marcus Morris is incredibly undersized for it (6'8, 225)

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 12:51 AM
If you're 6'9 and 6'10 range and have a good jumper you can play somewhere in the NBA. Plus he's physical, where they don't call fouls in the NBA.
Except Morris isn't 6'9 or 6'10, doesn't have a good jumper by NBA standards, and isn't any more physical than most players in the NBA.

MM has been my favorite KU player for a while, but he's really going to be a tweener in the NBA once he gets there.

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 12:54 AM

Tyshawn Taylor?

Wreckloose
03-25-2010, 01:25 AM
How could someone ask if the 4 position still exists? The only position on the endangered species list is the back to the basket center.

Silock
03-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Tyshawn Taylor?

We'll see if he sticks around. I don't know that it's for sure.

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 02:37 AM
We'll see if he sticks around. I don't know that it's for sure.
There's no reason to think he'll leave. If the guy has NBA aspirations, transferring (and thus missing an entire year) is the last thing he'll do.

Miles
03-25-2010, 05:25 AM

The 4 definitely does and for the most part they haven't changed in typical size. It is more of the traditional C that has been disappearing a bit since the 90's since good ones seem to be harder to find these days.

Mr. Laz
03-25-2010, 09:42 AM
The 4 definitely does and for the most part they haven't changed in typical size. It is more of the traditional C that has been disappearing a bit since the 90's since good ones seem to be harder to find these days.
Seems to me like the 4 position isn't much like it used to be at all.

a 4 used to be a power forward like Charles Barkley,Karl Malone,Dennis Rodman etc.

Now you have guys playing power forward that are either converted Center types or European type big men that can step out and hit jump shots.

Dirk Nowitski
Antawn Jamison
Carlos Boozer
David West

Marcus Morris can put on another 15-20lbs and be Carlos Boozer-ish.

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Carlos Boozer is pretty large (6'9, 260) and has incredible offensive skill.

These are the PFs that Morris will be facing up with among others:
Duncan (somewhat a C), Garnett, Nowitzki, Bosh, Amare, Boozer, Jefferson, Aldridge, Lee, Nene, West, Brand

sedated
03-25-2010, 10:35 AM
There's no reason to think he'll leave. If the guy has NBA aspirations, transferring (and thus missing an entire year) is the last thing he'll do.

if he was going to transfer, now would be the time to do it. He could sit out a year and have 2 years left

CoMoChief
03-25-2010, 10:53 AM

He needs to learn how to shoot better if he's going to make the NBA.

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 11:28 AM
if he was going to transfer, now would be the time to do it. He could sit out a year and have 2 years left

Except at that point he would be 21 years old by the time he could even be drafted. If a NBA team has the option between a younger player with Tyshawn's skills and Tyshawn himself, they'll take the younger player every time.

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 11:29 AM
He needs to learn how to shoot better if he's going to make the NBA.

He needs to learn to do a lot of things better to make it. What's your point?

ArrowheadHawk
03-25-2010, 11:38 AM

He's actually better than I thought he'd be. I didn't think he'd crack 11 or 12 PPG.John Wall, Michael Beasley, Kevin Durant type talent.

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
John Wall, Michael Beasley, Kevin Durant type talent.
Uhh...why? Each of those three was among the top 1-2 recruits in their given year, and would have been top picks in the NBA Draft had it not been a requirement to go to college.

Henry was never expected to be that kind of talent.

Pants
03-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Uhh...why? Each of those three was among the top 1-2 recruits in their given year, and would have been top picks in the NBA Draft had it not been a requirement to go to college.

Henry was never expected to be that kind of talent.

Henry was an NBA ready type talent coming out from HS, so I can see why ArrowheadHawk would think that. However, the players he listed would have all been top 3 picks in the NBA straight out of highschool, Henry was never in that category.

CoMoChief
03-25-2010, 11:48 AM
He needs to learn to do a lot of things better to make it. What's your point?

I think I made my point. Whether that satisfies you or not I could give a damn.

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I think I made my point. Whether that satisfies you or not I could give a damn.
Except I wasn't arguing that Tyshawn Taylor would make the NBA, you moron. I was only arguing that if he wanted to, he would be better off staying at KU.

Pants
03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
LMAO

sedated
03-25-2010, 12:08 PM
XH was ranked up there with a quite a few top guys that were in the mix for top-5 draft potential - Wall, Cousins, Favors, Bradley, etc.

Along with XH, all those guys were being eyed as the next big thing (Durant, Beasley). It just didn't happen for some of them.

Pants
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM
XH was ranked up there with a quite a few top guys that were in the mix for top-5 draft potential - Wall, Cousins, Favors, Bradley, etc.

Along with XH, all those guys were being eyed as the next big thing (Durant, Beasley). It just didn't happen for some of them.

Nah, the only player who was considered to be Rose/Durant/Beasley/Mayo level was John Wall. DeMarcus Cousins entered the discussion, but it was Wall all the way. Next year, it's Barnes. After that, who knows. This has been a really prolific few years as far as top talent goes. Probably going to end soon.

KC_Connection
03-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Agreed. John Wall has been considered one of the top basketball prospects for years now....Henry has never been anywhere close to that level of reputation.

BWillie
03-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Agreed. John Wall has been considered one of the top basketball prospects for years now....Henry has never been anywhere close to that level of reputation.

Have to agree w/ KC Connection on this one. Henry was a Legit Top 10 recruit by the recruiting services. Sure he was like #3 w/ ESPN, but thru Scout and Rivals he was like #8 or #9. Durant, Beasley, and Wall were all either #1 or #2 by any recruiting service you looked at. And just looking at clips he didn't have the explosiveness of a #1 unanimous recruit. Henry performed pretty much on par for the type of recruit he was, I'm glad he came to KU.