PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Carl Peterson discusses life after the Chiefs

Deberg_1990
03-24-2010, 02:40 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/24/1834103/peterson-discusses-life-after.html

Try as he might, Carl Peterson can’t seem to put the Chiefs in his past. After all, he still lives in Kansas City, though he and his wife, Lori, have put their Country Club Plaza condo up for sale and may soon be leaving town.

So he still followed, if from a distance, the dismantling and subsequent rebuilding of the franchise he operated, for better or for worse, for 20 years as the Chiefs president and general manager.

“Lots of changes with the Chiefs,’’ he said wistfully this week during a break at the NFL’s annual owners meetings. He was in Orlando helping a friend, Miami Dolphins owner Steve Ross, market hand-held video devices to other teams and their fans.

“They made changes last year and it looks like that’s continuing,’’ Peterson continued. “Change is good. Hey, I made a lot of changes when I came in, too. When people you hired are no longer there, you feel bad for them. But life goes on.’’

It has for Peterson. Soon after leaving the Chiefs at the end of the 2008 season, Peterson became chairman of USA Football, a non-profit organization that promotes the sport. He helps at the California winery of former Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil.

He also has the current project with Ross.

That doesn’t leave a lot of time for him to keep current on the Chiefs.

“I’m filling up the spaces with enough things, three different things right now between this, the wine company and USA Football,’’ Peterson said. “I’ve been traveling to both coasts a lot. USA Football is in Washington, or close to it. I go to the league office (in New York), also for USA Football. I’m not lacking for things to do. I’ve actually traveled more in the last year than I ever thought I would. Maybe it’s a little more than I want. But I’m content. I’m enjoying the down time. I’ve been able to spend some time with my daughter and grandson. I went to the Army-Navy game. I went to homecoming at UCLA this year. Those are things I could never do or wouldn’t allow myself to do.’’

Soon, he may be on the move. Lori Peterson still works for Populous, the Kansas City-based sports architecture firm. But Peterson said she’s been spending much time lately in Miami, where she’s working on the under-construction Florida Marlins baseball stadium.

“It’s not definite what we’re going to do,’’ Peterson said. “We’re looking, debating what to do. I’ve got to get back to the water. I grew up on the water. For 20 years I’ve lived without water in Kansas City. Which coast doesn’t matter. I don’t care as long as there’s an ocean and I can see it when I get up in the morning.’’

As for getting back into the NFL, Peterson said, "It would have to be a really special, unique opportunity.’’ There was speculation after his break with the Chiefs that he would join Ross with the Dolphins.

For now, at least, there seems to be no room for Peterson in Miami.

“The Dolphins have everything in place and they’re doing a great job,’’ Peterson said. “Steve is doing a great job. (CEO) Mike Dee and (vice president) Bill Parcells and (general manager) Jeff Ireland are doing a great job. Steve has been a 25-year friend going back to the USFL, and I told him when he came into the league that if there was ever anything I could do to let me know. And he has.

“I’ll be candid. I don’t miss a lot of the stuff that you have to deal with as a president and a general manager. It’s seven days a week, 24 hours a day. I don’t miss the phone calls late at night when we have a player in trouble or from an agent who wants to renegotiate a contract after his player has a great game. That’s irritating stuff.’’

As for the Chiefs, Peterson said he wouldn’t pass judgment on the many moves they’ve made since he departed. He said he went to no games last season and “saw part of some games on TV, but not many.

“I was really happy for a couple of our guys toward the end of the season when they got a chance to play. Derrick Johnson and Jamaal Charles look like they did a really nice job. You always hope those guys do well.’’

He did acknowledge it was painful for him to see the Chiefs’ sellout streak, which began in the early 1990s in one of Peterson’s first seasons in Kansas City, end in Kansas City’s final home game last season against Cleveland.

“It hurt to see they had a blackout,’’ Peterson said. “We had a long time without allowing that to happen. We worked hard to not let that happen. It’s a great, great fan base and they love their football.

“But there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s no longer my watch.’’

Hammock Parties
03-24-2010, 02:50 PM
After all, he still lives in Kansas City, though he and his wife, Lori, have put their Country Club Plaza condo up for sale and may soon be leaving town.

http://i40.tinypic.com/14e1d1x.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/27y1wfr.gif

Rain Man
03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I'd buy a book by Carl if it had some honest stuff about what really happened at Arrowhead for those 20 years.

DMAC
03-24-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd buy a book by Carl if it had some honest stuff about what really happened at Arrowhead for those 20 years.

Everyone already knows what the title of that book would be...

Hammock Parties
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM

I'M INNOCENT
By Carl Peterson

Chapter 1: I DIDN'T DO IT

Chapter 2: NOT MY FAULT

Chapter 3: PASSING THE BUCK

Chapter 4: BLAMELESS

Chapter 5: POINTING THE FINGER

Chapter 6: I WANTED TO KEEP LOWERY

MoreLemonPledge
03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Everyone already knows what the title of that book would be...

http://vox2.cdn.amiestreet.com/album-art/Songs-of-the-South--Bagpipes-and-Banjos-by-Carl-Peterson_IUXyv0ZejEkx_full.jpg

kepp
03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
"Sometimes I find myself just walking along...staring at the ground, looking for bugs to crush. I really miss that feeling."

Fish
03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
He did acknowledge it was painful for him to see the Chiefs’ sellout streak, which began in the early 1990s in one of Peterson’s first seasons in Kansas City, end in Kansas City’s final home game last season against Cleveland.

“It hurt to see they had a blackout,’’ Peterson said. “We had a long time without allowing that to happen. We worked hard to not let that happen. It’s a great, great fan base and they love their football.

“But there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s no longer my watch.’’LMAO

The ego on this dickhead....

Fuck you Carl. We had no blackouts because of your Quest for Mediocrity. If you'd cared more about winning a championship than you did making profit and keeping status quo, you might have something to show for your efforts other than simply a lack of blackouts. Cause that's all you achieved. That and fucking heartbreak. Go feed a shark on your morning walk on the beach.

nychief
03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
well quick! All of you guys who hate pioli might want to stop him before he leaves!

Fish
03-24-2010, 03:02 PM
well quick! All of you guys who hate pioli might want to stop him before he leaves!

Fuck them both.

Radar Chief
03-24-2010, 03:09 PM
:spock: Who?

Hammock Parties
03-24-2010, 03:28 PM
LMAO

Go feed a shark on your morning walk on the beach.

You want him to feed himself?

GoHuge
03-24-2010, 03:40 PM
:spock: Who?Slim Shady!

Fish
03-24-2010, 03:42 PM
You want him to feed himself?

No, I was thinking maybe a shrimp platter from Captain D's.... FUCK YES, FEED HIMSELF TO THE SHARKS.

Dartgod
03-24-2010, 03:53 PM
No, I was thinking maybe a shrimp platter from Captain D's.... **** YES, FEED HIMSELF TO THE SHARKS.
Pssssst...

GoChiefs is trying to be clever and is saying that Carl is a shark.

Mecca
03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
And now we have a new GM...much the same.

Deberg_1990
03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
And now we have a new GM...much the same.

I dont know how u can say that?

Two completely different situations....

But it could be argued that Carl had a better start in KC than Pioli has......well heck, not even argued...he did.

Mecca
03-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I dont know how u can say that?

Two completely different situations....

But it could be argued that Carl had a better start in KC than Pioli has......well heck, not even argued...he did.

I'm pretty sure at this point it's a fact that Carl's start was better.

I dunno man blowing a draft, trading for a backup QB, signing shitty FA's can't imagine how I'd think it's about the same.

Deberg_1990
03-24-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure at this point it's a fact that Carl's start was better.

I dunno man blowing a draft, trading for a backup QB, signing shitty FA's can't imagine how I'd think it's about the same.

The Chiefs when Carl took over were actually pretty loaded wth talent except at QB.

Fire Me Boy!
03-24-2010, 04:06 PM
LMAO

The ego on this dickhead....

**** you Carl. We had no blackouts because of your Quest for Mediocrity. If you'd cared more about winning a championship than you did making profit and keeping status quo, you might have something to show for your efforts other than simply a lack of blackouts. Cause that's all you achieved. That and ****ing heartbreak. Go feed a shark on your morning walk on the beach.

This is so fuckin' stupid it's hurting my brain.

No, CP was not the end all be all. No, he didn't get us to the promised land. But the best way to sell tickets and guarantee sellouts is to win the SB. I would never believe he didn't want to win. He got 4 or 5 teams in his 20 years that were legitimately capable of winning it all, it just didn't happen.

But to say CP wanted to be mediocre and didn't want to win is dumbassery at it's finest.

Titty Meat
03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
LMAO @ the pic.

Hammock Parties
03-24-2010, 04:12 PM
LMAO @ the pic.

lol

http://i.imgur.com/cYQek.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

38yrsfan
03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Who is this Carl Peterson that you speak of?

(One of my favorite snowclones BTW :) )

PArt of being a longtime Chief's fan means not having to remember the bad times unless you want to ............

Titty Meat
03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
That would be a great pic to caption "Look at all these idiots who paid to see this shit".

Rain Man
03-24-2010, 04:15 PM
The Chiefs when Carl took over were actually pretty loaded wth talent except at QB.

Ooh, that's a good poll. Stay tuned.

ChiTown
03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Go feed a shark on your morning walk on the beach.

ROFL

Dartgod
03-24-2010, 04:22 PM
LMAO @ the pic.
lol

I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me.

Hammock Parties
03-24-2010, 04:23 PM
The red phone gives the photo a Batman vibe.

Mr. Peterson, please pick up the red courtesy phone, retread coach and quarterback on line two.

Pants
03-24-2010, 04:24 PM
This is so ****in' stupid it's hurting my brain.

No, CP was not the end all be all. No, he didn't get us to the promised land. But the best way to sell tickets and guarantee sellouts is to win the SB. I would never believe he didn't want to win. He got 4 or 5 teams in his 20 years that were legitimately capable of winning it all, it just didn't happen.

But to say CP wanted to be mediocre and didn't want to win is dumbassery at it's finest.

His point was that CP prioritized making money over winning the SB, which would require taking a lot more risks and team sucking for a few seasons before competing, which would in turn probably cause some empty seats. That's my guess, anyway.

FloridaMan88
03-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Not a single question about the Herm Edwards fiasco?

Typical

Fairplay
03-24-2010, 04:38 PM

“Lots of changes with the Chiefs,’’ he said wistfully this week during a break at the NFL’s annual owners meetings.

wistfully, heh.

Hammock Parties
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Teicher isn't embellishing, though. Carl talks like that. He can be very melodramatic sometimes.

Fairplay
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM

“It’s not definite what we’re going to do,’’ Peterson said. “We’re looking, debating what to do. I’ve got to get back to the water. I grew up on the water. For 20 years I’ve lived without water in Kansas City.

Good God, someone get him a glass of water!

rwalke10
03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I agree with what I read elsewhere, that CP's greatest talent was in marketing (especially himself). While Lamar was in my opinion too loyal to him, Clark had no such loyalty, and the King was shown the door pretty quickly after he took control and Lamar passed.

I remember reading an interview with Clark Hunt after the 2nd season of Herm. Who conducted the interview escapes me (JW?), but the question was asked if CP would be around for that next season. Clark replied if he replaced the GM at that time, the new GM would most likely insist on his own Head Coach (not an unreasonable request).

Clark also went on to say he had some very detailed discussions about the team with Herm, and he (Herm) had sold him on what really needed to be done with the team (stop all of CP's stopgap signings, blow it all up and go young). He finished by saying he was going to give him a bit of time to see progress, and left it at that (at least the interview I read ended with that anyway).

As far as Pioli is concerned, the guy was voted NFL Exec of the year 4 times in the last decade, as well as NFL Exec of the Decade to go along with it. In my book that gives him a couple of years to get his complete rebuilding process installed and making progress.

Regarding the King, it worries me he's surfaced hawking electronics...If I see that asshole in an infomercial I'll be replacing a busted TV.

As far as his comment that "it's not my watch." Thank God for that. Let the healing continue!

Fish
03-24-2010, 07:56 PM
His point was that CP prioritized making money over winning the SB, which would require taking a lot more risks and team sucking for a few seasons before competing, which would in turn probably cause some empty seats. That's my guess, anyway.

Exactly. Thank you for being smart enough to see the point.

Carl's main goal was to fill the stadium and make money. Winning playoff games was definitely welcome, but the priority was placating the fans enough to make money. That meant never taking any risks, never building for the future, never sacrificing now for bigger payout later. If it came down to biting the bullet and rebuilding, as opposed to squeaking out 7-8 games and clinging to hope for next year, it was always the later. Carl fought the rebuild until it cost him his job. And to hear him now with this attitude of "Ohh that's too bad, funny that blackouts never happened when I was running the show.", well it makes me want to stab folks. It never happened because that was priority one. Instead of doing whatever it took to win a championship.

Fuck Carl.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-24-2010, 08:15 PM
I agree with what I read elsewhere, that CP's greatest talent was in marketing (especially himself). While Lamar was in my opinion too loyal to him, Clark had no such loyalty, and the King was shown the door pretty quickly after he took control and Lamar passed.

I remember reading an interview with Clark Hunt after the 2nd season of Herm. Who conducted the interview escapes me (JW?), but the question was asked if CP would be around for that next season. Clark replied if he replaced the GM at that time, the new GM would most likely insist on his own Head Coach (not an unreasonable request).

Clark also went on to say he had some very detailed discussions about the team with Herm, and he (Herm) had sold him on what really needed to be done with the team (stop all of CP's stopgap signings, blow it all up and go young). He finished by saying he was going to give him a bit of time to see progress, and left it at that (at least the interview I read ended with that anyway).

As far as Pioli is concerned, the guy was voted NFL Exec of the year 4 times in the last decade, as well as NFL Exec of the Decade to go along with it. In my book that gives him a couple of years to get his complete rebuilding process installed and making progress.

Regarding the King, it worries me he's surfaced hawking electronics...If I see that asshole in an infomercial I'll be replacing a busted TV.

As far as his comment that "it's not my watch." Thank God for that. Let the healing continue!

Awesome !

big nasty kcnut
03-24-2010, 08:20 PM
FUCK YOU CARL

Hammock Parties
03-24-2010, 08:34 PM
FUCK YOU CARL

Short and sweet. Rep.

Hydrae
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM

Excellent first post! Welcome aboard! :toast:

teedubya
03-25-2010, 02:47 PM
lol

I'm staring at the Dumbass in the window.... I'm asking him to make a cha-hange...

gblowfish
03-25-2010, 02:57 PM
More accurate reflection of personality:

Hammock Parties
03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
That is some funny shit, G.

rwalke10
03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I must admit I've been lurking and reading for over a year, and have come to enjoy the blend of tech and satire around here. All the draft analysis some of you are doing...+10! The spirited debate--Kudos! Finally decided to jump in...

I guess with the new regime in place I would be catagorized as drinking the koolaid at this point. They have (and will continue) to make a few mistakes. And, as much as it hurts, stepping on your dick occasionally is part of the journey--but jesus christ does this staff have a collection of rings to flash! That in and of itself is proof-positive they know how to get. it. done. Been there. Done that. Many times. Watch me do it again.

We have a front row seat to witness the birth of dominance here. I truly believe WE will be the team of the decade 2010-2020...look out for the years 2014-2019, we will be brutal and it will be an exciting ride to be sure. It seems they are simply going down a checklist;

New owner--check
New GM--check
New HC--check
New scouts--check
New coordinators--check
New stadium--check
New camp--check
...etc..

Changing the subject back to pimp, er, kInG cArL...the picture of him I always see in my mind's eye was pretty clear, but my photoshop skills are zilch...anyone with any talents in that arena feel like making him the new spokesman for ShamWOW? Seemed pretty fitting in my book.

Truly sorry for the length here...kinda got away from me.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-25-2010, 08:49 PM
“I’ll be candid. I don’t miss a lot of the stuff that you have to deal with as a president and a general manager. It’s seven days a week, 24 hours a day. I don’t miss the phone calls late at night when we have a player in trouble or from an agent who wants to renegotiate a contract after his player has a great game. That’s irritating stuff.’’

I'll be candid:

We don't miss you. At all.

Thx/bye!