PDA

View Full Version : Science Texas Play: Gay Jesus. GoChiefs auditioned but was turned down

KCChiefsMan
03-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Residents of Stephenville, Texas, say they're furious that a local university will allow the performance of a play in which a gay Jesus shares a kiss with Judas and marries two apostles in a same-sex ceremony.

Photography by Alek and Steph

A photo depicting touring cast members of the controversial play 'Corpus Christi,' in which Jesus is depicted as gay. A student in central Texas has caused a stir by putting on his own production for class.

A college student's production of a play in which Jesus is portrayed as the "King of Queers" has outraged residents in a Texas town that fancies itself the Cowboy Capital of the World.

Just in time for Easter, Tarleton State University is playing host to a student performance of Terrence McNally's 1998 play, "Corpus Christi," which depicts a gay Jesus performing a same-sex wedding for two of his apostles.

And though Jesus washed the feet of his disciples in the traditional biblical narrative, his character (called Joshua) in the play shows Judas the full extent of his love, kissing the son of perdition at Pontius Pilate High School's senior prom.

It's all too much for some residents of Stephenville, Texas, who say there's far too much passion in this Passion play. They are pressuring the university to call off the Saturday performance, which has already been moved ahead eight hours to an 8 a.m. start time to help head off protests.

"It infuriates me that somebody would be given a platform to be able to demean and degrade the Son of God," said David Harris, pastor of the town's Hillcrest Church of Christ. "I'm angry about it and every Christian should be."

Harris, who hosts a radio show, said phones were ringing off the hook in objection to the play's performance.

A school spokeswoman said it changed the performance time and boosted security to guarantee a "safe and secure environment" for the students, and it has now closed public access to the theater, which seats only 90 people. Only students and invited family members will be allowed to attend the show, which is an abbreviated version of McNally's play.

The production is a class project for student-director John Jordan Otte, who said in a written statement that he chose the play to "bring people together" and help gain acceptance for gay Christians, who he said often feel alienated from their churches.

"It is being said often that this play is a direct attack on Christians — their faith and their deity. It simply is not true," wrote Otte, 26, who said he is a devout Christian.

"I am not attacking anyone in choosing this play. I want people to see and understand another side to faith. I want us all to know that unconditional love means just that -- unconditional -- and I believe tolerance is a key message in this play. None of us, not one of us, should ever feel alone or separated from God or whomever we believe in."

The play presents a modern-day version of Jesus' life and death in 1960s Corpus Christi, Texas, with a few controversial updates. The apostles are all gay, Joseph is an alcoholic wife-beater, and Mary gives birth alongside a chorus of moaning men.

"At the end of the play [Jesus] is crucified with the moniker above his head as 'King of the Queers,'" said Harris, the pastor. "And they call this art."

But student Timothy Parker noted that the message of the play — tolerance — should be heeded on campus. "This is something being put on as a learning experience for the students," he told WFAA News.

Another student, Christopher Hepburn, called the controversy "ridiculous."

"This is academia, and one of the attributes of academia is cultural diversity," he told WFAA News. "Having this shown is something we should embrace as college students."

The hubbub is a historic first for quiet Stephenville, which is bracing for protests scheduled for Saturday morning. Campus police will herd uninvited guests into a parking lot near the theater, a move that has drawn notice in Fort Worth, 70 miles to the northeast.

"Tarleton State University police will need 50 extra state and local officers Saturday — because of a drama class project?" asked Bud Kennedy, a columnist for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Kennedy said the backlash against the class play "is beginning to seem like a blasphemy fatwa by the Erath County Taliban" — and as it happens, there already is a fatwa out against "Corpus Christi," which has long been condemned as blasphemous. Its inaugural run in New York in 1998 was ended abruptly by a series of bomb threats targeting the play's author, actors and venue.

A British Islamic group put out a death warrant against McNally, in 1999 when "Corpus Christi" premiered in London's Pleasance Theatre. If he visits an Islamic country, he could face arrest and execution.

Despite the controversial nature of the project and mounting pressure from the community, Tarleton State has stood by Otte's right to free speech.

"Legally we have to protect the student's First Amendment right," said Liza Benedict, associate vice president of marketing and communications.

"We really don't want to lose the people's love and loyalty for Tarleton over one incident."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/25/texas-town-cross-plays-gay-christ/

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
WTF would they do that . They should drown in a barrel of Boar jizz!

ModSocks
03-25-2010, 04:27 PM
The Gays have to ruin everything. And then they wonder why people hate them so much. BTW, this is dangerously close to DC material.

KCChiefsMan
03-25-2010, 04:30 PM
ya I don't usually have a problem with gays but I do not like the one's who have to rub it in everybody's face that they're gay.

Bane
03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
They can be gay all the want,as long as they don't try to be gay with me.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-25-2010, 04:33 PM
They can be gay all the want,as long as they don't try to be gay with me.

I'll bet they're Donkey lovers too. :D

Pitt Gorilla
03-25-2010, 05:09 PM
People don't HAVE to go and see it, do they? What exactly is the issue?

CoMoChief
03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
fucking queers.

Hammock Parties
03-25-2010, 05:24 PM
I was too gay. I got in there and took my shirt off and they all oohed and aahed. I started nancing about, as the role surely required, OR SO I THOUGHT. After about 30 seconds they stopped me and told me to get out. I asked why, and they said "you're not masculine enough. We don't want any limp-wristed Christs. We want beastly gay Jesus. You're fabulous. We don't want fabulous."

I told them they didn't know what it REALLY meant to be gay, that Jesus Christ, Superstar was a hell of a lot queerer, and the whole production was a sham. It was gay in name only.

Fuckin' faggots.

Oh, and they had positively DREADFUL set decoration. Mercy sakes, child. I wonder if they even had ONE homo working in any part of the production. Bunch of breeders trying to make a dime.

Mr. Laz
03-25-2010, 05:39 PM
ROFL

RealSNR
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
GoChiefs has a point. These people are acting like JCS wasn't gay. THAT was gay. This is just gayer, that's all.

LaChapelle
03-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Gay white Jesus
double burn

Gonzo
03-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I sense a rapid influx of infractions coming soon to a poster near you...
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-25-2010, 06:28 PM
They should be banned !

KCChiefsMan
03-25-2010, 06:33 PM
ya!

Fairplay
03-25-2010, 06:35 PM
We got your back Gochiefs.

gblowfish
03-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Gay Jesus:
Nails through Jazz Hands.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Texas needs as many gay plays as they can be bombarded with, religious subject or no.

Did I mention fuck texas?

Garcia Bronco
03-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Free speech. gotta love it.

POND_OF_RED
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
I don't see this as being any worse than the Hell Houses the churches put together. Just two different ways of looking at the world. The play will go on and the people will protest. It's what is so great about this country. Everyone has a voice. The voices may not actually be heard most of the time, but your always free to voice your opinion.

Dave Lane
03-25-2010, 10:06 PM
You must not show a picture of Jesus or is that Mohammad or is it...

Jeez its a play don't go. Who gives a rip? I don't complain that they show jesus crap on my tv, I just don't watch.

I wouldn't care if they had a play where Bush, Chaney and Rumsfield where shown as gods. I might laugh about it and not go but who gives a damn seriously

Jenson71
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
student-director John Jordan Otte, who said in a written statement that he chose the play to "bring people together" and help gain acceptance for gay Christians, who he said often feel alienated from their churches.

How's that working out, John?

Hammock Parties
03-26-2010, 01:11 AM
We got your back Gochiefs.

My brokeback?

kysirsoze
03-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Was this thread bumped from 12 years ago? There must be 100 instances of 'moral outrage' about some school or local theatre doing this play.

FFS, McNally clearly wrote the play to piss these exact people off. Mission Accomplished.

T-post Tom
03-26-2010, 01:22 AM
How's that working out, John?

Gay Christians? Hmmmmm... I think the bible is pretty clear on homosexuality. Odd contradiction. Oh...and TEXAS? What were they thinking? Not the place I'd recommend for this production. Not if the producers value their health.

BTW, Ms. Wendler, your freakshow is quite amusing.

lostcause
03-26-2010, 02:26 AM
This is supremely awesome.

bevischief
03-26-2010, 07:40 AM
My brokeback?

ROFL

boogblaster
03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Go-Boy in the leading role has no merrit .. now the gay-donkey ridden by gay-jesus is more fitting .....

The_Doctor10
03-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't suppose anyone has considered that one guy getting 12 other guys to LEAVE THEIR WIVES and follow him around in the wilderness preaching about love is a pretty clear sign about which way the Apostles swung, y'know?

Also, if you look at the books of the Bible chronicling Jesus EXCLUSIVELY, he never makes mention of homosexuality. SO if you believe Jesus to be the son of God, and by extension God himself, then the only books containing direct quotes from God happen to contain nothing about homosexuality. The books that do are just humans trying to legitimize their own position by claiming God is on their side.

Think about it.

Hammock Parties
03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Oh...and TEXAS? What were they thinking?

Everyone knows only two things come from Texas, steers and queers.

Jenson71
03-26-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't suppose anyone has considered that one guy getting 12 other guys to LEAVE THEIR WIVES and follow him around in the wilderness preaching about love is a pretty clear sign about which way the Apostles swung, y'know?

Uh, a lot of men probably dream about leaving their wives to go traveling around with friends.

And they traveled with women and stayed with women. Remember Mary Magdalene? She was kind of a big deal a couple of years ago.

The_Doctor10
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Uh, a lot of men probably dream about leaving their wives to go traveling around with friends.

And they traveled with women and stayed with women. Remember Mary Magdalene? She was kind of a big deal a couple of years ago.

You make it sound like a golf weekend in Vegas; 'yeah, me and the boys bombed around for two weeks, played a few rounds, smoked some shit, there were hookers... ****in' awesome time boys!'

Wandering around the desert for 3 years with 11 other guys is at least a little bit homoerotic, whether you want to admit it or not.

Simply Red
03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
****ing queers.

i'd like to show you my cock, is that cool?

Hammock Parties
03-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Tell me this shit isn't gay.

http://youhf.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/jesus-washing-apostles-feet1.jpg

Hammock Parties
03-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Judas was gay for Jesus, but Jesus just shut him right down.

"Oh puh-LEASE, Judas. You know I'm not into you."

http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/On-Line_Books/Godward/graphics/Le_Baiser_de_Judas_large.jpg

But if Judas couldn't have him...no one would.

T-post Tom
03-26-2010, 12:58 PM

Also, if you look at the books of the Bible chronicling Jesus EXCLUSIVELY, he never makes mention of homosexuality. SO if you believe Jesus to be the son of God, and by extension God himself, then the only books containing direct quotes from God happen to contain nothing about homosexuality. The books that do are just humans trying to legitimize their own position by claiming God is on their side.

Think about it.

Matthew 19:4
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

Matthew 19:5
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Matthew 19:6
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

(Also see Mark 10:6-9)

Jenson71
03-26-2010, 01:04 PM
You make it sound like a golf weekend in Vegas; 'yeah, me and the boys bombed around for two weeks, played a few rounds, smoked some shit, there were hookers... ****in' awesome time boys!'

Wandering around the desert for 3 years with 11 other guys is at least a little bit homoerotic, whether you want to admit it or not.

Going from village to village and staying at friends houses (with women!!) sounds a bit cooler, though, huh?

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-26-2010, 03:48 PM
My brokeback?

LMAO

Gonzo
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

How is Mr. Phelps doing, btw?

;)
Posted via Mobile Device

T-post Tom
03-26-2010, 03:58 PM
How is Mr. Phelps doing, btw?

;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha. There's a broad divide between quoting scripture and what that nutjob does.

Gonzo
03-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Ha. There's a broad divide between quoting scripture and what that nutjob does.

Yeah, but he sure can swim like a mofo...

:D
Posted via Mobile Device

T-post Tom
03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah, but he sure can swim like a mofo...

:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Does he have any advocates outside of his "family"? None that I know of.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Does he have any advocates outside of his "family"? None that I know of.

Yeah, there's about 10 creepy dudes that for whatever weird reason want to fuck his daughters, so...

kysirsoze
03-26-2010, 05:39 PM

I gotta say these are a long way from a condemnation of homosexuality. Definitely not backing the "Jesus must be gay because he hung out with dudes angle." Just sayin.

Hammock Parties
03-26-2010, 05:58 PM
I gotta say these are a long way from a condemnation of homosexuality. Definitely not backing the "Jesus must be gay because he hung out with dudes angle." Just sayin.

Christ, I thought everyone knew the requisite anti-gay scriptures:

"And you must not lie down with a man the same as you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable thing."<o>

Leviticus 18:21<o>
</o></o>Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom.

1 Corinthians 6:9

T-post Tom
03-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Crickey, I thought everyone knew the requisite anti-gay scriptures:

<o>
</o></o>

FYP, oh wayward son. ;) You found the Old Testament and the New Testament. Good job.

Hammock Parties
03-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey, I actually put stock in those scriptures.

If you wanna worship god, no fucking other men.

So I have no respect for gay priests and the like.

T-post Tom
03-26-2010, 08:20 PM

I think Mr. Wendler did a better job of documenting that than I did (yet another reason to marvel at the greatness that is GoChiefs):

Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom.

1 Corinthians 6:9

ChiefsLV
03-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Judas was gay for Jesus, but Jesus just shut him right down.

"Oh puh-LEASE, Judas. You know I'm not into you."

http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/On-Line_Books/Godward/graphics/Le_Baiser_de_Judas_large.jpg

But if Judas couldn't have him...no one would.

LMAO! That is some funny shit right there.

Hammock Parties
03-26-2010, 08:39 PM
I think Mr. Wendler did a better job of documenting that than I did (yet another reason to marvel at the greatness that is GoChiefs):

Truly I am a renaissance man.

WhitiE
03-27-2010, 07:29 AM
bunch of fags if you ask me.....