PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Bounty Of Picks

Tribal Warfare
03-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Bounty Of Picks … Weekend Cup O’Chiefs (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/bounty-of-picks-%E2%80%A6-weekend-cup-o%E2%80%99chiefs.html)
March 26, 2010 - Bob Gretz |

For any NFL team that takes the path of building through the draft, every April is a very important time for the future of the franchise.

No other team in the league faces a more critical 2010 NFL Draft than the Chiefs. It very well could be the most important selection meeting for Team Hunt since the earliest days of the AFL-NFL wars for talent.

This week, the league released the official selection order for this year’s draft. Shake out the back story behind the 255 draft choices and there are several noteworthy developments. Among them is this:

The Chiefs have eight of the top 144 selections. That’s one of the best potential hauls of any team in the league.

Cleveland is the only club that can top that with nine of the first 146 picks. As an example of how many gifts the Chiefs will enjoy this season, the Chicago Bears have just three picks in the first 180 and the Carolina Panthers have only three of the first 174 slots. Like the Chiefs and Browns, the Bears and Panthers did not make the playoffs last year.

Those eight choices for the Chiefs are all that they have in this year’s draft, as they are without sixth and seventh round selections. Both of those choices went to Miami, the sixth for offensive linemen Andy Alleman and Ikechuku Ndukwe and the seventh was dealt in last year’s draft to allow the Chiefs to select TE Jake O’Connell.

Selections in the sixth and seventh rounds are not prime drafting spots. Any time a team gets production out of the last 80 to 90 picks that’s considered gravy by most teams. That’s what makes the career of Patriots QB Tom Brady so remarkable, since he was grabbed with a sixth-round choice, the 199th player selected in the 2000 NFL Draft.

In the little picture of the 2010-11 seasons and the big picture of this next decade, the Chiefs need to hit home runs with these eight choices, especially given the fact they are all within the top 150 spots. They should be able to draft eight players who can contribute to winning. It’s hard to believe that all eight could become starters; that’s a batting average that would put Scott Pioli and his personal department in the Hall of Fame.

But this draft is critical for Pioli, head coach Todd Haley and team chairman Clark Hunt. It’s all tied to the economics of the game and the equation is quite simple: victories = $.

The > the victories means > $; with < winning comes < $.

The Chiefs are 10-38 in the last three seasons, they’ve not won a game in the post-season since January of 1994, attendance declined in the last three seasons, the local TV blackout streak ended, the team currently has less than 40,000 tickets spoken for by season ticket holders, sponsorship revenues are down significantly, so are the sale of suites and prime seating and an expensive renovation of Arrowhead Stadium is nearing completion.

Yes, the bulk of the improvements at the stadium will be paid by a Jackson County sales tax. But the Hunt family has thrown $150 million of their money into the deal as well. They can make that back with sponsorships, suites, premium seating, club payments, etc. But that revenue stream will only flow if the Chiefs field a winning team. Not a soul is going to buy a ticket for a Chiefs game simply to see wider concourses or more restrooms and concession stands.

That’s why it’s important for the worst three-year record in Chiefs history to not become the worst four-year record that the franchise has ever seen. The Hunt Family is a fairly patient group; far more than many owners in pro football. The changes the organization has undergone in the last two years have all been initiated by Clark Hunt and he’s going to be of the mind to allow new personnel and new ideas time to grow.

Yet the realities of the situation are obvious: the Chiefs need to start winning more games than they lose. To do that, they need a lot more talent than is currently in the building. The activity in free agency has been helpful in plugging some immediate holes.

But the future hinges on these eight selections that are now some four weeks away. Mistakes can’t be made. Every choice does not have to be a home run, but it can’t be a strikeout either. These eight must contribute now and certainly in their second, third and fourth seasons. If they are used to make trades, then the player acquired has to rise to the value level of what it cost to select him. It comes down to this: if you trade up, he’d better produce like Tony Gonzalez (‘97 trade up) and not like Ryan Sims (‘02 trade up.)

Essentially, Pioli hopes to never again be in a position where he has the fifth choice, three of the first 50 picks and five of the top 102 spots. He would rather be in the spot where the New Orleans Saints are for this season, with just one pick in the top 50 and four in the top 200 choices.

That’s what happens when you win Super Bowls. If the Chiefs are going to truly lift themselves from also ran to contender like the Saints did, then the 2010 Draft class must lead the way.

WHEN THE CHIEFS HAVE BEEN HERE BEFORE

This is not the first time the Chiefs have had so many picks early in the NFL Draft. Since the AFL and NFL agreed to one draft starting with the 1966 selection meeting, the Chiefs have had four years where they had eight selections in the top 150 players. That was easier to do in the 1970s and even the 1980s because the league was not at 32 teams.

LOOKING AT THE LAY OF THE LAND IN THE 2010 NFL DRAFT

The Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots have the most selections in the ‘10 NFL Draft with 12 each. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are right behind with 11 choices.

Washington, Chicago and Baltimore have the fewest choices with five each. The Bears have no selection until No. 75, a third-round choice.

When it comes to the top of the draft order, Seattle has two of the first 14 choices. The Buccaneers have three of the first 42 selections, San Francisco has three of 49 and the Chiefs come in with three of the first 50. The Patriots have four of the first 53 picks.

The Bears and Carolina Panthers do not have first-round choices.

With plenty of time remaining for wheeling and dealing, already there have been 49 trades involving the 223 selections that can be dealt. The 32 compensatory choices cannot be traded. Draft choice No. 158 has changed hands four times, starting with the Cowboys, then Patriots, Broncos and now to Oakland; same with selection No. 231 that’s changed hands four times, including twice being held by New England.

PERSONNEL FILE/THE 2010 SEASON REACHES THREE WEEKS

* RAMS – Exclusive Rights Free Agent WR Jordan Kent re-signed.
* RAVENS – RFA RB Matt Lawrence signed tender offer.
* REDSKINS – RFA LB Chris Wilson signed tender offer.

SAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON FRIDAY TO … MARCUS ALLEN

Once you hit a certain point, just about everything that rolls past reminds of how old you’ve become.

Such is the case on Friday with the birthday of Hall of Fame RB Marcus Allen. He turns 50 years old.

That doesn’t seem possible, but the man who won Super Bowl MVP honors while playing for the Raiders and then arrived in Kansas City to help the Chiefs to one of their most successful periods in franchise history. Allen played five seasons in red and gold and the Chiefs were 55-25 with six post-season games. That’s an overall winning percentage of .663.

While most of his career statistics came while wearing the silver and black of the Raiders, all the records and milestones of his career came while he was playing for the Chiefs.

It was March 26, 1960 in San Diego, California that Marcus LeMarr Allen stepped into the world.

teedubya
03-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Marcus is 50. Shit.

the Talking Can
03-27-2010, 03:16 AM
unusually teicher-esque effort from gretz

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-27-2010, 03:46 AM
unusually teicher-esque effort from gretz

If you wanted to point to any writer and say "this is why American newspapers are failing", you'd point to Adam Teicher. I hope that dumbass lurks on here just so he knows how much of a shitload of fuck people think that he is.

He needs to shove an umbrella up his ass and open it.

Fritz88
03-27-2010, 06:26 AM
If you wanted to point to any writer and say "this is why American newspapers are failing", you'd point to Adam Teicher. I hope that dumbass lurks on here just so he knows how much of a shitload of **** people think that he is.

He needs to shove an umbrella up his ass and open it.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-27-2010, 07:46 AM
I love it how EVERY single article thats posted here gets flamed immediately. It really is humurous

milkman
03-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Didn't the Chiefs have at least 8 of the top 150 picks in '08?

cabletech94
03-27-2010, 08:25 AM

sadly, yes.

pr_capone
03-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Yes but this year we have 8 of the top 144. That 6 pick difference will make all the difference in the world.

:p

philfree
03-27-2010, 08:30 AM
sadly, yes.

Weren't five of them starters at the end of last season? Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Carr and Charles. If those guys improve that will have been a pretty solid draft.

PhilFree:arrow:

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Weren't five of them starters at the end of last season? Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Carr and Charles. If those guys improve that will have been a pretty solid draft.

PhilFree:arrow:

Damn, If we could land 5 starters every year we'd have a whole team in 4 years.

milkman
03-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Yes but this year we have 8 of the top 144. That 6 pick difference will make all the difference in the world.

:p

Actually, my question was rhetorical, to point out how Gretz omits info to try to sell his bull.

And those 8 picks in '08 were in the first 136.

el borracho
03-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Who was the last guy drafted by the Chiefs to make the Pro Bowl?

Rain Man
03-27-2010, 09:33 AM
The NFL Draft: The player picker-upper.

Rain Man
03-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Who was the last guy drafted by the Chiefs to make the Pro Bowl?

I had to look it up, but it would be Jared Allen in 2004. Wonder what ever happened to that guy?

el borracho
03-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I had to look it up, but it would be Jared Allen in 2004. Wonder what ever happened to that guy?

That is what I thought. It is nice to draft starters, it is even better to draft winners and Pro Bowlers. Even if 2008 was a relative success, you can color me unimpressed. This team will continue to suck until we draft or otherwise acquire a)a QB and b)a defensive play-maker.

Here's to hoping we don't screw it up (again) this year. :cheers:

milkman
03-27-2010, 09:51 AM
That is what I thought. It is nice to draft starters, it is even better to draft winners and Pro Bowlers. Even if 2008 was a relative success, you can color me unimpressed. This team will continue to suck until we draft or otherwise acquire a)a QB and b)a defensive play-maker.

Here's to hoping we don't screw it up (again) this year. :cheers:

Here's an interesting fact.

Teams that win generally field pro bowlers.

If Brandon Flowers were a Raven, it's very possible he would have made the pro bowl.

Rain Man
03-27-2010, 10:04 AM
This is interesting. I'm going back, and here's who I see as pro bowlers who were drafted by the Chiefs.

2004 - Jared Allen
2003 - Larry Johnson
2000 - Dante Hall
1999 - Gary Stills
1997 - Tony Gonzalez
1996 - Jerome Woods
1995 - Tamarick Vanover
1993 - Will Shields
1992 - Dale Carter
1990 - Tim Grunhard
1989 - Derrick Thomas

I don't think these guys made it, but maybe Joe Horn did as a Saint. I'm too lazy to look them up: Greg Wesley, John Tait, Donnie Edwards, Joe Horn

We pretty much drafted one pro bowler a year in the Marty era, though some of them were one-timers like Grunhard and Woods. It seems that Marty tended to add pro bowlers through the draft while Dick's era brought in free agent pro bowlers (e.g., Roaf, Holmes).

Also, our drafted pro bowlers are rarely in high-impact positions. DT and Allen are the only ones. Carter was a fine shutdown corner, too, which is valuable. Edit: Oh, and LJ, of course.

Fairplay
03-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Gretz "Weekend Cup O’Chiefs "

bleech! Terrible article just awful.

pr_capone
03-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Actually, my question was rhetorical, to point out how Gretz omits info to try to sell his bull.

And those 8 picks in '08 were in the first 136.

LMFAO

I was just having some fun with ya.

Ralphy Boy
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
The Bears and Carolina Panthers do not have first-round choices.

I'm suggesting this since the idea of us drafting in the high first scares the shit out of me.

If Suh is still on the board at 5:
Our 1st (1700) for Carolina's 2nd & 3rd (#48 = 420 & #79 = 195) this year and 1st next year?

We then have no first this year but do have 5 picks (36, 48, 50, 69 & 79) in the first 3 rounds of a very deep draft and presumably two, high-to-middle, first rounders in next years draft.

Bite me if its a repost.

el borracho
03-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Here's an interesting fact.

Teams that win generally field pro bowlers.

If Brandon Flowers were a Raven, it's very possible he would have made the pro bowl.

Sure, team success plays a role in the Pro Bowl selection of individuals but it is not the only factor. What was the defensive tackle who went to the Pro Bowl for the 2-14 Seahawks?

Flowers is impressive, to be sure. But I still wouldn't think that being a starter on a perpetual loser is any measure of success. Our draft class of '08 has a long way to go, individually and collectively, before I would call it a success.

Coogs
03-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm suggesting this since the idea of us drafting in the high first scares the shit out of me.

If Suh is still on the board at 5:
Our 1st (1700) for Carolina's 2nd & 3rd (#48 = 420 & #79 = 195) this year and 1st next year?

We then have no first this year but do have 5 picks (36, 48, 50, 69 & 79) in the first 3 rounds of a very deep draft and presumably two, high-to-middle, first rounders in next years draft.

Bite me if its a repost.

The value of a 1st round pick next year is worth the value of a 2nd round pick this year, so 420 + 420 + 195 = 1035 total points.

Try again.

el borracho
03-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Also, our drafted pro bowlers are rarely in high-impact positions. DT and Allen are the only ones. Carter was a fine shutdown corner, too, which is valuable. Edit: Oh, and LJ, of course.

Insurmountable problem in today's NFL. Without an elite QB and an elite defensive player (creating turnovers from whatever position) the Chiefs will never win with consistency.

B_Ambuehl
03-27-2010, 01:00 PM
the activity in free agency has been helpful in plugging some immediate holes

LOL. Do you mean the holes in the graveyard or the empty beds in the nursing home?

"The Company Man" would do well to pass along this equation next time he goes to service his master:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< money spent = < wins = < fans = < people realizing clark doesnt' care about winning football games = > people calling you out for your pitiful homeristic attempts.

Ralphy Boy
03-27-2010, 01:56 PM
The value of a 1st round pick next year is worth the value of a 2nd round pick this year, so 420 + 420 + 195 = 1035 total points.

Try again.

Yeah I realized that once I posted it, so I was looking at their roster for a player to throw in the mix. The bounty of picks/players it would take to get a deal done make it a worthless suggestion.

FAX
03-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Roses are red
Chiefs got some picks
Hope we don't draft
A pile of broke-dicks

FAX

Coogs
03-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah I realized that once I posted it, so I was looking at their roster for a player to throw in the mix. The bounty of picks/players it would take to get a deal done make it a worthless suggestion.

Not really. NE has the picks both this year in the 2nd round and next year in the first to do something like this. Their 1st this year, one of their 2nds, and Oaklands first next year.

Ralphy Boy
03-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Not really. NE has the picks both this year in the 2nd round and next year in the first to do something like this. Their 1st this year, one of their 2nds, and Oaklands first next year.

I meant the trade with Carolina was a worthless suggestion. I'd posted a repost (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=225200) of your New England trade last week.

Carolina has got a very good team and will be much better with Matt Moore replacing Delhomme, but they have a major need to replace Peppers presence on the D-line. Having Suh instead of Peppers would IMO make their line better. They could add Ogunleye once he is fully healed from his broken leg. (He wouldn't be a bad option here either, if he were willing to play OLB on passing downs.)

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Carl Peterson was smart and got rid of him before his skills started to diminish. :(

whoman69
03-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Leave it to Gretz to post an article from the business standpoint of the Chiefs. That he leaves out facts to support his theories shows how lazy he is.