PDA

View Full Version : If Dan Williams is our first rounder, how would you go the rest of the way?

Ralphy Boy
03-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Okay so I believe we'll draft him in the first. Yes, I think Pioli will try to trade down a few slots, but in the end I think he's our guy. I'd love for it to be Berry, but I don't see it happening.

Assuming Williams is our first rounder, how would you go in the rest of the draft?

I'll post mine in a reply.

keg in kc
03-27-2010, 04:07 PM
This team has so many needs at this point you could literally pick almost any position in the 2nd/3rd/4th range, whether it's pass rusher, WR, safety, center, RT. And then later on you can look for additional linebackers, a corner to compete for the nickel, more TEs (because they always draft more TEs...). It's all going to depend on who's on the board at the time.

Sfeihc
03-27-2010, 04:31 PM
36. Hughes OLB TCU
50. N. Allen FS UCF
69. A. Hernandez TE UF
103. K. Calloway T Iowa
137.T. J. Ward SS Oregon
143. L. Witten OLB UCONN
145. F. Barnes WR BGSU.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-27-2010, 04:53 PM
With the other 7 picks I'd go
T
DT
T
DT
T
DT
T

Ralphy Boy
03-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Whether or not some of these guys will be available, I don't know.

36 Demaryius Thomas, WR If he runs prior to the draft, I don't think he'll make it this far; even with the injury and route tree issues. A bit raw, but probably the most physically gifted receiver in the draft and any receiver on our roster.

50 Vladimir Ducasse, RT Immediate upgrade and starter. I don't think he's a first rounder, depending on how the first round plays out and with us not taking one, it could make him available here.

69 Austen Lane, OLB Small school stud (6'6" 270) that reminds me of a young Jason Taylor. Had 12 sacks as a senior and would play primarily as a rusher on passing downs as a rookie.

103 Kam Chancellor SS We've had a private workout with him and he was on Romeo's squad in the Shrine game. Very talented and can play either safety position but at 231 lbs, he's best suited at strong.

137 Clay Harbor, TE Thanks to a great postseason, he's really come up the charts and may not be available here.

143 Jamar Chaney, ILB Special teams player at first. Was highly
regarded out of high school and played well his first few college seasons before breaking his leg and missing 2008. Recovered well in 2009, showing he's a good all around LB with a lot of versatility. Had 2 picks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 sacks, 4.5 tackles for loss and 4 passes defensed as a senior.

145 Eric Olsen, C Sits behind Weigmann for a year.

Mr. Laz
03-27-2010, 06:01 PM
doesn't matter who our 1st pick is other than you wouldn't duplicate the position in the 2nd or 3rd round.

1. Dan Williams
2a. Hughes/Iupati
2b. Hughes/Best WR/Center/Safety
3. Center/WR/Safety

NT,OLB,WR,Safety,OG,ILB,RT in round 1 thru 5 in some kind of order ... depending on how the draft falls.

Ralphy Boy
03-27-2010, 06:57 PM
With us taking a DT early I would hope that it would have an impact on the DT & OT positions for the next couple of rounds. Ideally the OT position would fall some, while the DT position would rise thanks to supply & demand.

It could even out, but its happened before, as teams get fearful that their guy or position won't be there. It goes against everything that is rational and the BAA philosophy but teams thinking can get irrational when they only have 10 minutes to pull the trigger.

I'd love it if Okung was picked by Detroit, making Suh available and we could slide back a few spots to get Williams but I don't see Detroit passing on him.

A scenario seeing the D-linemen rise and O-line fall:
1 STL Bradford, QB
2 DET Suh, DT
3 TAM McCoy, DT
4 WAS Okung, OT
5 KC Williams, DT
6 SEA Bulaga, OT
7 CLE Berry, S
8 OAK Mays, S
9 BUF Clausen, QB
10 JAX Derrick Morgan, DE
11 DEN McClain, LB
12 MIA Griffen, OLB
13 SF Haden, CB
14 SEA Spiller, RB
15 NYG Dunlap, DE
16 TEN Bryant, WR
17 SF Thomas, S
18 PIT Graham, LB
19 ATL Weatherspoon, LB
20 HOU Kyle Wilson, CB
21 CIN Gresham, TE
22 NE Odrick, DE
23 GB Trent Williams, OT
24 PHI McCourty, CB
25 BAL Price, DE
26 ARI Davis, OT
27 DAL Iupati, G
28 SD Matthews, RB
29 NYJ Tate, WR
30 MIN Pouncey, G/C
31 IND Campbell, OT
32 NO Hughes, OLB
33 STL Charles Brown, OT
34 DET Saffold, OT
35 TAM Sapp, LB
36 KC Thomas, WR
37 WAS Tebow, QB
38 CLE McCoy, QB
39 OAK Washington, LB
40 SD Cody, DT
41 BUF Best, RB
42 TAM Benn, WR
43 MIA Allen, S
44 NE Worilds, LB
45 DEN Walton, C
46 NYG Kindle, LB
47 NE D. Williams, WR
48 CAR Gilyard, WR
49 SF LaFell, WR
50 KC Ducasse, OT

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-27-2010, 07:17 PM
You should use those 4 picks in rounds 2-4 beefing up the pass rush and safeties. That's where the strength of this draft is.

notorious
03-27-2010, 08:27 PM
I would create a Pioli post/thread similar to Hamas's "Mother Fuck You" thread from last year that will include the use of such skillfully crafted CP slang such as "antifreeze", "AIDs Tree", or "Fuck a Cheese Grater."

salame
03-28-2010, 02:07 AM
I don't think we need to draft a tight end in the third round
Pioli traded up to draft one for some reason last year (O'Connell) plus they have Pope and Cottam.
TE is not a position of great importance in the offense they run
I miss Tony G too but I don't think we will see an elite/above average TE in a KC uni anytime soon.
not that I am saying Hernandez is an elite TE
I just don't think they value the position enough to draft one that high

spanky 52
03-28-2010, 04:40 AM
If we go with NT Williams with the fifth pick, then with the next three picks should be LB, SS and OG. Maybe Hughes, Burnett and Johnson. Williams with the fifth pick will be like last year with Jackson. Pioli better hit with the second and third round picks.

milkman
03-28-2010, 05:00 AM
I would the whole thing.

milkman
03-28-2010, 05:47 AM
36.Nate Allen
50.Koa Misi
69.Demaryius Thomas
103.Jason Fox
137.Robert Johnson
143.Donald Butler
145.LeGarrette Blount

Ralphy Boy
03-28-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't think we need to draft a tight end in the third round
Pioli traded up to draft one for some reason last year (O'Connell) plus they have Pope and Cottam.
TE is not a position of great importance in the offense they run
I miss Tony G too but I don't think we will see an elite/above average TE in a KC uni anytime soon.
not that I am saying Hernandez is an elite TE
I just don't think they value the position enough to draft one that high

Pioli drafted 2 in the first round in New England when Weis was his OC.

Coogs
03-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Isn't Dan Williams a pretty big reach at #5. Yeah, I know we need a NT, and yes I have seen him going in the teens... even as high as 11 or so... but isn't his ranking somewhere in the mid-twentys?

Trade down... yes. No trade down partner... wait until round 2 and hope for Cody.

milkman
03-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Isn't Dan Williams a pretty big reach at #5. Yeah, I know we need a NT, and yes I have seen him going in the teens... even as high as 11 or so... but isn't his ranking somewhere in the mid-twentys?

Trade down... yes. No trade down partner... wait until round 2 and hope for Cody.

Tyson Jackson was every bit the reach that Williams would be, and Williams plays a more important position.

Mecca's point about the money for top 5 picks and the money invested in the D-Line has merit, however, given that we really don't know Pioli, and given the evidence that suggests he does value the big uglies on the defensive front, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that he would make this pick.

Ralphy Boy
03-28-2010, 07:40 AM

As I said in the OP: Okay so I believe we'll draft him in the first. Yes, I think Pioli will try to trade down a few slots, but in the end I think he's our guy. I'd love for it to be Berry, but I don't see it happening.

Assuming Williams is our first rounder, how would you go in the rest of the draft?

I could be wrong, I figured they'd draft Raji last year.

Coogs
03-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Tyson Jackson was every bit the reach that Williams would be, and Williams plays a more important position.

Mecca's point about the money for top 5 picks and the money invested in the D-Line has merit, however, given that we really don't know Pioli, and given the evidence that suggests he does value the big uglies on the defensive front, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that he would make this pick.

IIRC, Jackson was at least rated in the early teens. Williams is in the mid-twentys. Not saying it couldn't happen... but damn. A huge reach followed by a even huger reach.

Coogs
03-28-2010, 07:51 AM
As I said in the OP:

I could be wrong, I figured they'd draft Raji last year.

I caught that part, and I agree. With a trade down yes. No trade down partner though, and I just don't think he would be the guy I would want with Cody still being around. Say what you will about Cody, but he is actually the dude I would like to see manning the middle of our D.

milkman
03-28-2010, 07:53 AM
IIRC, Jackson was at least rated in the early teens. Williams is in the mid-twentys. Not saying it couldn't happen... but damn. A huge reach followed by a even huger reach.

I've seen Williams as high as #11 (Walter), so I don't think it's as big a reach as you think it would be.

Coogs
03-28-2010, 07:58 AM
I've seen Williams as high as #11 (Walter), so I don't think it's as big a reach as you think it would be.

Yeah, I even posted I have seen him that high. It was from that mock draft. But these two recent top 100's have him in the mmid twenty's...

http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

Coogs
03-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Mayock does have him at 14...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d8171c657&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

milkman
03-28-2010, 08:14 AM
I think this draft is deeper than last year's draft, and if you were to rank the players from both draft classes together, I believe that Williams would be ranked higher than Jackson.

Coogs
03-28-2010, 08:39 AM
I think this draft is deeper than last year's draft, and if you were to rank the players from both draft classes together, I believe that Williams would be ranked higher than Jackson.

Good point. But I still would rather not reach 2 years in a row when a player like Cody could be available at #36 due to the deeper draft class.

milkman
03-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Good point. But I still would rather not reach 2 years in a row when a player like Cody could be available at #36 due to the deeper draft class.

I would rather not reach at all.

I'm just pointing out that Williams at least plays a position that has far more value than Tyson Jackson.

Given my druthers, Berry's the guy.

Coogs
03-28-2010, 08:48 AM
I would rather not reach at all.

I'm just pointing out that Williams at least plays a position that has far more value than Tyson Jackson.

Given my druthers, Berry's the guy.

Agree all three points. A Berry/Cody ticket would rock IMO.

spanky 52
03-28-2010, 10:08 AM
What position improves the Chief's defense more? Williams at NT or Berry at S. There will be a run on NT's, albeit a short run, beginning with either Buffalo, Denver or Miami. Pittsburgh and San Diego will also be looking for NT's, maybe not starters but depth. And if the experts are right, there are only 3 top tier NT's, Williams, Cody and Thomas.

Do we reach with the #5 pick or the 36th pick? I think with the depth of the safety class this year we reach at #5 for Williams and try to get our SS with the 50th or 68th pick.

milkman
03-28-2010, 10:25 AM
What position improves the Chief's defense more? Williams at NT or Berry at S. There will be a run on NT's, albeit a short run, beginning with either Buffalo, Denver or Miami. Pittsburgh and San Diego will also be looking for NT's, maybe not starters but depth. And if the experts are right, there are only 3 top tier NT's, Williams, Cody and Thomas.

Do we reach with the #5 pick or the 36th pick? I think with the depth of the safety class this year we reach at #5 for Williams and try to get our SS with the 50th or 68th pick.

Reaching in any round is pretty good way to achieve mediocrity.

Draft the best player available, and that player fills a need, all the better.

Eric Berry is one of three elite level prospects in this draft.

You don't pass on a elite level prospect for a reach.

Coogs
03-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Reaching in any round is pretty good way to achieve mediocrity.

Draft the best player available, and that player fills a need, all the better.

Eric Berry is one of three elite level prospects in this draft.

You don't pass on a elite level prospect for a reach.

Yep!

melbar
03-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I'd still rather make a little reach in the 2nd for Cam Thomas or Torrell Troup Than to reach 20 spots with a top 5 pick....again.

spanky 52
03-28-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd still rather make a little reach in the 2nd for Cam Thomas or Torrell Troup Than to reach 20 spots with a top 5 pick....again.

Point well taken and I agree but who's the GM. When I look at the Chief's draft, I try to think what Pioli will do, not what he should do.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2010, 02:12 PM
ehh .... Berry/Hughes/Cody sounds better :)

Ralphy Boy
03-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Take a look at Cody's tits and tell me that you honestly think Haley would want him. How good would Cody be when he has to pull a Branden Albert and learn how to play the position all over again 35 pounds lighter than he has been.

I think a Williams/Kam Chancellor ticket is more likely. If I had my choice and was going defense, I'd go 1 Berry, 2a Demaryius Thomas, 2b Cam Thomas, 3 Kam Chancellor.

Point well taken and I agree but who's the GM. When I look at the Chief's draft, I try to think what Pioli will do, not what he should do.

This was the point of the whole thread.

Frankly I would love for us to draft an elite-level OLB pass rusher, since you know "its not the job of the DE to get sacks in this defense"; but drafting one higher than the 3rd isn't something that Pioli has ever done.

milkman
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I think looking at the Patriots history to make assumptions about Pioli's drafting philosophy is misguided.

The Patriots never took a LB in the first round of the draft until Pioli's last year there when they took Jarod Mayo.

DaneMcCloud
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Williams was invited to NYC on Draft day. One of ten guys.

So I don't think anyone's expecting him to fall past #15 overall.

I'm betting he goes at #5.

DaneMcCloud
03-28-2010, 04:39 PM
ehh .... Berry/Hughes/Cody sounds better :)

Why would anyone want Cody? The guy is a slouch, lets his weight go and takes off plays.

NT isn't a luxury pick for the Chiefs. They need a true, non-stop, motor guy. Otherwise, this defense will continue to falter, despite any upgrades on the perimeter.

milkman
03-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Williams was invited to NYC on Draft day. One of ten guys.

So I don't think anyone's expecting him to fall past #15 overall.

I'm betting he goes at #5.

Tim TeBow was invited as well, so non one is expecting him to fall past #15 as well?

Ralphy Boy
03-28-2010, 04:56 PM
I think looking at the Patriots history to make assumptions about Pioli's drafting philosophy is misguided.

The Patriots never took a LB in the first round of the draft until Pioli's last year there when they took Jarod Mayo.

I get your point and if we hadn't drafted the "next Richard Seymour" last year, I would agree with you. Choosing him made it seem like he is trying to build New England 2.0.

Regarding not picking a LB in the first, he was on staff in Baltimore when they picked Ray Lewis in the first, along with Jonathan Ogden, so I guess by that train of thought it's just as likely that we could go OT.

Ralphy Boy
03-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Tim TeBow was invited as well, so non one is expecting him to fall past #15 as well?

Yeah I think that Tebow's invite was a huge mistake. It might have been done to create interest in the draft and boost ratings, but it could be a Aaron Rodgers/Brady Quinn situation revisited.

milkman
03-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah I think that Tebow's invite was a huge mistake. It might have been done to create interest in the draft and boost ratings, but it could be a Aaron Rodgers/Brady Quinn situation revisited.

Rogers and Quinn will be watching and saying to themsleves, "At least we didn't wait that long.

DaneMcCloud
03-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Come on, you know as well as I do that Tebow was invited due to the drama it will provide ESPN.

milkman
03-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Come on, you know as well as I do that Tebow was invited due to the drama it will provide ESPN.

Doesn't matter.

The point is that there will be some of those 10 invitees that fall beyond 15, and I fully expect Cody to be one of those.

DaneMcCloud
03-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Doesn't matter.

The point is that there will be some of those 10 invitees that fall beyond 15, and I fully expect Cody to be one of those.

Was Cody invited? If so, I didn't know.

Yeah, I fully expect Cody to drop into the second.

milkman
03-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Was Cody invited? If so, I didn't know.

Yeah, I fully expect Cody to drop into the second.

My mistake, I was watching TV and had two windows open, looking at discussion of Cody at the same time i was discusing Williams here.

I mean't to say that I expect Williams could fall beyond the top 15.

DaneMcCloud
03-28-2010, 07:00 PM
My mistake, I was watching TV and had two windows open, looking at discussion of Cody at the same time i was discusing Williams here.

I mean't to say that I expect Williams could fall beyond the top 15.

Interesting.

I expect the Chiefs to take him and if for some reason they don't, I think either Denver or Miami will swoop him up.

What is it about Williams that makes you think he'll slip? Do you see cracks in his play? I can honestly say that when I did watch Tennessee, I didn't particularly see him as a top pick but the scouts and mockers disagree.

He just seems like a Pioli pick.

milkman
03-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Interesting.

I expect the Chiefs to take him and if for some reason they don't, I think either Denver or Miami will swoop him up.

What is it about Williams that makes you think he'll slip? Do you see cracks in his play? I can honestly say that when I did watch Tennessee, I didn't particularly see him as a top pick but the scouts and mockers disagree.

He just seems like a Pioli pick.

I think it's very possible that Pioli picks him as well, but should he not I can see Miamai passing him as well to select someone like JPP, and who the hell knows wht the idiot in Denver might do.

DaneMcCloud
03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I think it's very possible that Pioli picks him as well, but should he not I can see Miamai passing him as well to select someone like JPP, and who the hell knows wht the idiot(s) in Denver might do.

There are two of them in Denver now.

:D

McDaniels and Brian Xander.

Thanks for the input. I hadn't even thought of JPP as a viable option in Miami (I haven't been following other teams needs besides the Chiefs this offseason).

milkman
03-28-2010, 07:45 PM

Not trying to be a dick but there are two of them in Denver now.

McDaniels and Brian Xander.

Don't be modest.

You don't have to try.

:p

But, you forgot Bowlen, that's three.

DaneMcCloud
03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Don't be modest.

You don't have to try.

:p

But, you forgot Bowlen, that's three.

Very true.

In both cases!

salame
03-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Pioli drafted 2 in the first round in New England when Weis was his OC.

on a team that could afford to take BPA

Tribal Warfare
03-29-2010, 07:26 PM
I get your point and if we hadn't drafted the "next Richard Seymour" last year, I would agree with you. Choosing him made it seem like he is trying to build New England 2.0.

Regarding not picking a LB in the first, he was on staff in Cleveland when they picked Ray Lewis in the first, along with Jonathan Ogden, so I guess by that train of thought it's just as likely that we could go OT.

FYP

milkman
03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
FYP

That's a great fix, except one little problem.

Lewis and Ogden were drafted by the Ravens in '96.

BossChief
03-29-2010, 09:17 PM
They were the first two players ever drafted by the Ravens, no?

Ralphy Boy
03-29-2010, 09:21 PM
FYP

:huh:

That's a great fix, except one little problem.

Lewis and Ogden were drafted by the Ravens in '96.

Yup.