PDA

View Full Version : News Where is John Galt and did he take the bees with him?

patteeu
03-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Bees. They're not just important for people who like honey, they're also nature's primary mechanism for polinating our crops and all the other vegatation we depend on for life. Unfortunately, the US population of bees has been declining since democrats took over Congress in 2006.

OK, forget about Congress and the democrats, this isn't really related to politics. I just said that to :Poke: the sissy's who don't like politics in the Lounge. Back to the subject. What is going on with the bees and what happens if they all disappear?

Here's the article (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.bd2664988112b33ebe7091069cfec28e.8b1&show_article=1) about just one more end-of-the-world threat to add to your list of worries:

The decline in the US bee population, first observed in 2006, is continuing, a phenomenon that still baffles researchers and beekeepers.

Data from the US Department of Agriculture show a 29 percent drop in beehives in 2009, following a 36 percent decline in 2008 and a 32 percent fall in 2007.

This affects not only honey production but around 15 billion dollars worth of crops that depend on bees for pollination.

Scientists call the phenomenon "colony collapse disorder" that has led to the disappearance of millions of adult bees and beehives and occurred elsewhere in the world including in Europe.

Researchers have looked at viruses, parasites, insecticides, malnutrition and other environmental factors but have been unable to pinpoint a specific cause for the population decline.

The rough winter in many parts of the United States will likely accentuate the problem, says Jeff Pettis, lead researcher at Department of Agriculture's Bee Research Laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland.

Winter figures will be published in April. But preliminary estimates already indicate losses of 30 to 50 percent, said David Mendes, president of the American Beekeeping Federation.

"There are a lot of beekeepers who are in trouble" he said.

"Under normal condition you have 10 percent winter losses.. this year there are 30, 40 to 50 percent losses."

He said the phenomenon probably results from a combination of factors but that the increased use of pesticides appears to be a major cause.

"I don't put my bees in Florida because the last couple of years there has been tremendous increase in pesticide use in the orange crop to fight a disease," he said.

"It's a bacterium and the only way to control this disease is to use pesticide... a few years ago they did not use any pesticide at all."

He said that pesticide use "has changed dramatically" and has made beekeeping "more challenging."

Research conducted in 23 US states and Canada and published in the Public Library of Science journal found 121 different pesticides in 887 samples of bees, wax, pollen and other elements of hives, lending credence to the notion of pesticides as a key problem.

Pettis said the finding of pesticide residue is "troubling."

"It might not be the only factor but it's a contributing factor," he said.

The best thing to help bees, he said its "to try to limit habitat destruction," leaving more natural areas in agriculture and in cities such so honey bees can have "a diverse natural environment."

Ironically, he said the problem stems from expansion of agriculture to feed the world. But in destroying bee populations, that can hurt crop production.

"The world population growth is in a sense the reason for pollinators' decline," he said.

"Because we need to produce more and more food to feed the world and we grow crops in larger fields. A growing world means growing more food and to do that we need pollinators. And the fact that the world is continuing to grow is the driving force behind the habitat destruction."

If the bee problem has already been discussed, I apologize. Link me if you can.

KCFalcon59
03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
It's because I stomped on too many while working in the yard. Sorry about that!

patteeu
03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
It's because I stomped on too many while working in the yard. Sorry about that!

Would your mother be proud if she knew you caused the end of the human race? I don't think so. But at least you were polite and apologized. :thumb:

Reaper16
03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
People have speculated about the role of cell phones in this.

RJ
03-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Have you seen Bee Movie? If not, you might want to.

patteeu
03-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Have you seen Bee Movie? If not, you might want to.

I have not. Was Jerry Seinfeld the Paul Revere of this approaching threat?

RJ
03-29-2010, 11:15 AM
If you watch this very important film, you will see for yourself what a world without hard working bees looks like. And it's not pretty.....literally or figuratively.

teedubya
03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
It's because of the unbelievable amount of pesticides, hormones and other shit that flows into our environment by huge factory farms and corporate food companies.

Slowly but surely they are killing us all.

Gonzo
03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
It's because of the unbelievable amount of pesticides, hormones and other shit that flows into our environment by huge factory farms and corporate food companies.

Slowly but surely they are killing us all.

Yeah, but I love my Jalapeno poppers and radial tires so...
Fuck bees.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
03-29-2010, 11:36 AM
This is one of my interests. I'd like to keep a hive, and I might do it before too long. As with chickens, lots of urban homesteaders are taking up beekeeping.

Slainte
03-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I think Lolo might be able to clue us in on this. Over to you, Lolo...

allen_kcCard
03-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I question the idea of bees being responsible for THAT much of the pollination of the world's crops. For example, corn, freaking gravity does all the damn work there. Tassels at the top produce the pollen, wind and gravity get the pollen from the top down to the silks to do the pollinating.

Would some crops depend on it? I suppose tree crops like apples and oranges maybe, but I can't fathom the end of the world if somehow bees really did disappear. Not saying something should not be done about it, but doom and gloom over it all is hogwash.

NewChief
03-29-2010, 12:12 PM
I question the idea of bees being responsible for THAT much of the pollination of the world's crops. For example, corn, freaking gravity does all the damn work there. Tassels at the top produce the pollen, wind and gravity get the pollen from the top down to the silks to do the pollinating.

Would some crops depend on it? I suppose tree crops like apples and oranges maybe, but I can't fathom the end of the world if somehow bees really did disappear. Not saying something should not be done about it, but doom and gloom over it all is hogwash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crop_plants_pollinated_by_bees

FAX
03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Loss of the Bee Gee-nus is bad. Very bad. We're also having similar problems with bats. Those little buggers are dying out by the millions and have been for years. It's the same situation, no one really knows why or how to correct the problem.

In the case of the bats, they are acquiring some kind of crap on their noses. Interestingly, I was recently listening to an interview with a bee expert guy who said the bee deaths may be caused by a change in the Earth's magnetic field. They can't navigate properly which causes them to fly smack dab right in the noses of bats.

FAX

patteeu
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Loss of the Bee Gee-nus is bad. Very bad. We're also having similar problems with bats. Those little buggers are dying out by the millions and have been for years. It's the same situation, no one really knows why or how to correct the problem.

In the case of the bats, they are acquiring some kind of crap on their noses. Interestingly, I was recently listening to an interview with a bee expert guy who said the bee deaths may be caused by a change in the Earth's magnetic field. They can't navigate properly which causes them to fly smack dab right in the noses of bats.

FAX

LOL

Is it true that bat populations are declining? Are bats important for anything?

Bob Dole
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Locally last year, there seemed to be more than the previous year for a change.

Demonpenz
03-29-2010, 02:04 PM
bat eats 77 times their weight incects that's why they are important. If you stretched out each bug a bat eats in a year, the line would reach the moon.

patteeu
03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
bat eats 77 times their weight incects that's why they are important. If you stretched out each bug a bat eats in a year, the line would reach the moon.

Thanks. That's not as important as being the lynchpin in the food chain, but it's definitely something worth having.

I used to live in Austin, TX and the one thing I didn't like about living in a warmer climate was the fact that there were so many bugs since there usually wasn't a deep enough freeze in the winters to thin them out. If Austin didn't have it's own local population of bats, I guess the problem would have been even worse. Thanks, bats.

Groves
03-29-2010, 02:25 PM
This is one of my interests. I'd like to keep a hive, and I might do it before too long. As with chickens, lots of urban homesteaders are taking up beekeeping.

The kids and I are building a hive, should be done in a few weeks.

Modern beekeeping has come to rely so much on chemicals and unsustainable practices that there's a pretty good swell of people who are going back to the old ways.

Old isn't always good. The modern commercial beekeeper or hobbyist who uses commercial methods are not the enemy, but we're excited to have bees around that we only check a few times a year and aren't constantly treating with miticides, fungicides, ant poison, etc.

MOhillbilly
03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Locally last year, there seemed to be more than the previous year for a change.

my thoughts aswell.

Dave Lane
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM

I had 3 hives when I was a child. It was pretty damn cool when you are 10 to tell people you've trained your bees to kill people you don't like. :)

FAX
03-29-2010, 03:32 PM
LOL

Is it true that bat populations are declining? Are bats important for anything?

Well, Mr. Bees Are Vastly More Important Than Bats, bats are extremely important. They are known as nature's most misunderstood ugly-ass flying rodent.

Of course, bats eat insects. They are crucial in maintaining a balance between insects and everything else. And, Mr. Demonpenz's wacky insect stretching idea notwithstanding (I mean, ever try to stretch an insect? Their legs and head come right off and you have little pieces of insect - not a stretched-out insect), they actually provide the same service as bees.

Bats that feed on fruit, pollen, and nectar are common throughout the world and they are extremely effective at pollination and seed-spreading. Bananas, avocados, mangoes, dates, figs, and cashews are just a few of the things that bats maintain. Without bats, there would be no Bananas Foster. No Mango Daiquiri. No dates. And no figurine.

There is much we should be grateful for. And bats are one ... er ... many. So, thank a bat today. You'll feel better.

FAX

patteeu
03-29-2010, 03:46 PM
There is much we should be grateful for. And bats are one ... er ... many. So, thank a bat today. You'll feel better.

FAX

Thanks. That's not as important as being the lynchpin in the food chain, but it's definitely something worth having.

I used to live in Austin, TX and the one thing I didn't like about living in a warmer climate was the fact that there were so many bugs since there usually wasn't a deep enough freeze in the winters to thin them out. If Austin didn't have it's own local population of bats, I guess the problem would have been even worse. Thanks, bats.

You're right. I've been feeling better ever since I did that!