PDA

View Full Version : Bradford's workout today...

Coogs
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, looks like Bradford to the Rams...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/29/bradfords-pro-day-workout-leaves-crowd-in-awe/

The latest from nfl.com's crew....

"NORMAN, Okla. — Sam Bradford’s workout today in front of representatives for all 32 NFL teams at Oklahoma’s pro day almost left me speechless. And that’s saying something.

Bradford threw more than 100 passes during the workout and in my estimation, didn’t have one that was uncatchable. He moved around well, including throwing on the run out of the pocket, and went through the entire route tree.

It really was a treat to watch, and I think everyone here was in awe of his performance. In fact, Bradford put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman put on for us with the Cowboys in California.

If Bradford is feeling the effects of his shoulder or is experiencing any weakness, there were no indications of that today. It didn’t show. He threw with velocity during the entire workout.

Terry Shea, the former college and NFL coach who is working with Bradford as a quarterback consultant, told me they’ve been working together for nine weeks. The first five weeks of workouts, Bradford didn’t even throw. They only worked on footwork because Bradford hadn’t been cleared by doctors yet.

I would imagine that two weeks from now, Bradford’s arm will be even stronger than what we saw today. And today, it was very strong."

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Backs up everything I said about the kid.

BigChiefFan
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I've agreed for some time. His accuracy is remarkable and he looks to be a franchise QB.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Let's see the draftubator criticisms

He is too Fragile - 6'5 235 lbs

He can't make NFL Throws - He moved around well, including throwing on the run out of the pocket, and went through the entire route tree.

He has average arm strength - I would imagine that two weeks from now, Bradford’s arm will be even stronger than what we saw today. And today, it was very strong."

He can't drop back from under center - The scripted workout included three-, five- and seven-step drops, shotgun, and play-action plays, plus sprints and rollouts to both sides.

He is the best of a bad class - In fact, he put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman

The Bad Guy
03-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Gil Brandt said it was the best QB workout he's seen since Troy Aikman.

BigChiefFan
03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
He's a tremendous prospect. I'd trade Cassel and our 1st rounder to be able to get a franchise QB. Bradford looks to be the real deal.

Chiefshrink
03-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Still I have a hard time seeing a D-guy like Spags passing on a guy like Suh. I mean going with the very 1st pick of the draft on a guy that missed his entire Sr.Season????? He better look like God with his pro-day workout and that doesn't guarantee anything!

Mr. Laz
03-29-2010, 01:30 PM
i've never really liked his throwing motion personally ... seems to 'flip' the ball as much as throw it. I really wonder how he will do in bad weather.

maybe he will be fine :shrug:

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 01:33 PM
i've never really liked his throwing motion personally ... seems to 'flip' the ball as much as throw it. I really wonder how he will do in bad weather.

maybe he will be fine :shrug:

Most of his games will be in domes or warm weather climates, so he will be fine.

People didn't like Rivers throwing motion either. I don't care if you throw it two handed over your head, if you get it through those passing windows you will be successful.

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Backs up everything I said about the kid.

:spock:

A scripted workout in shorts and a t-shirt backs up what, exactly?

If he performs in game situations - learns to read a defense and can handle the rush, I'll eat crow about the kid.

But to say that throwing scripted routes in a t-shirt and shorts against air "backs up" anything is ridiculous.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 01:50 PM
:spock:

A scripted workout in shorts and a t-shirt backs up what, exactly?

If he performs in game situations - learns to read a defense and can handle the rush, I'll eat crow about the kid.

But to say that throwing scripted routes in a t-shirt and shorts against air "backs up" anything is ridiculous.

See post #4 and look at his college numbers if the workout isn't good enough for you. I also wasn't aware anybody strapped on the pads at the NFL combine.

The Franchise
03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
See post #4 and look at his college numbers if the workout isn't good enough for you. I also wasn't aware anybody strapped on the pads at the NFL combine.

Jason White had good college numbers as well.

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Jason White had good college numbers as well.

As did Timmy Chang, Colt Brennan, etc.

A scripted workout doesn't respond to a single red flag about the kid.

It doesn't show that he's learned to read a defense. Sorry, but looking over to Shurmer on the sideline isn't going to cut it in the NFL.

It doesn't show that he can deliver the ball accurately under pressure. Or when the WR is tightly covered.

It also doesn't show if he's going to be able to get up from the first hit he takes.

It doesn't show that he can run a pro-style offense.

He did well in a pressureless environment that was set up for him to succeed.

Stop the fucking presses.

Mecca
03-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Yes I love his numbers coming out of a system that inflates numbers, hold me back.

On top of that I don't care how big he is, he showed he was fragile on the college level if you think it gets easier on the NFL level I have some news for you...

Also did Gil Brandt talk about how he likes Bradford because his 4th cousin went fishing with the presidents 8th cousin in 1957? That's generally about all the dude talks about these days

In short Gil Brandt is a senile old fuck.

Chiefnj2
03-29-2010, 01:58 PM

Wait until Clausen has a good pro day and the double standard comes out.

Mecca
03-29-2010, 01:59 PM
I've yet to see what makes Bradford this eons better prospect than Clausen.

The Franchise
03-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Wait until Clausen has a good pro day and the double standard comes out.

No....I generally don't JIMP because of a QBs Pro Day. Pro days are fucking bullshit. It's set up to make the kid look WAY better than he is. I won't give two shits about Clausen's pro day.

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2010, 02:05 PM
No....I generally don't JIMP because of a QBs Pro Day. Pro days are fucking bullshit. It's set up to make the kid look WAY better than he is. I won't give two shits about Clausen's pro day.

Most of us could care less about any player's pro day.

ToxSocks
03-29-2010, 02:06 PM
I've yet to see what makes Bradford this eons better prospect than Clausen.

I think you're fighting a losing battle dude. If you keep up all of this Anti-Bradford talk, you're going to end up with egg on your face.

You've complained about his size: He's shown up well built and the size of a prototype QB.

You've complained about his arm: He's proven to have great accuracy and good arm strentgh.

You've touched on his maturity last year: Others have mentioned how he has great presence and carries himself like a leader.

The only thing you have left to stand on is this Spread offense theory.

Just leave him alone. I have yet to see why you hate him so much.

Mecca
03-29-2010, 02:12 PM
I've knocked him for durability and his offense more than anything.

And I still think he has an average at best arm, and hey every QB is accurate when guys are running wide open, the system increases accuracy numbers.

ToxSocks
03-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I've knocked him for durability and his offense more than anything.

And I still think he has an average at best arm, and hey every QB is accurate when guys are running wide open, the system increases accuracy numbers.

You can't knock him for playing with elite talent. It's not his fault that his WR's can run by the oppositions DB's. He put the ball on the money. He increased his strength and size to combat injury. What else does he need to do to prove that he can be a legit QB prospect?

Mecca
03-29-2010, 02:17 PM
235 is not his playing weight, it's nice he did it for the combine.

Colt McCoy threw to guys running wide open because of that system wanna take him high?

The Franchise
03-29-2010, 02:18 PM
You can't knock him for playing with elite talent. It's not his fault that his WR's can run by the oppositions DB's. He put the ball on the money. He increased his strength and size to combat injury. What else does he need to do to prove that he can be a legit QB prospect?

Well it will be interesting to see what happens in St. Louis then (assuming they draft him). He's not going to have an elite offensive line or elite WRs. He's going to be taking a LOT more shots than he did at Oklahoma.

Mecca
03-29-2010, 02:21 PM
As soon as he didn't have an elite line, he got hit and he got hurt.

I just don't get the hype, if anything I think Bradford and Clausen are about the same.

Brock
03-29-2010, 02:23 PM

Colt McCoy threw to guys running wide open because of that system wanna take him high?

Is anybody putting Colt McCoy in the discussion with Bradford?

ToxSocks
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM

If he can get up to 235, why in the hell would you think that he couldn't play at 235 if that's what his coach wants?

That makes no sense at all. Why would you believe that he couldn't play at 235?

And Colt McCoy doesn't have the frame that Bradford has, doesn't have the accuracy that Bradford has. No one is expecting Colt to be a 1st rnd pick.

im not a scout and I dont pretend to know why Bradford is a #1 and Colt is a 2nd-3rd rounder. But, there seems to be a fairly unanimous opinion about the two. So...someone....a lot of someones....somewhere know why Bradford is the better QB regardless of the system.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Is anybody putting Colt McCoy in the discussion with Bradford?

But he is a Big 12 spread QB Brock, and you know they will all be bust. Well... except for Blaine Gabbert because Hamas is a MU fan.

Chiefnj2
03-29-2010, 02:28 PM
"Bradford also showed a quick, easy release as well as decent footwork in the pocket and didn‘t lose much in the way of touch or accuracy when throwing on the move. He also rather effortlessly completed at least a couple of passes 65-70 yards downfield without much in the way of a windup." gbnreport.com

Too bad he has a weak arm.

ToxSocks
I just don't get the hype

I see what you're saying. What im saying is, I don't get the hate. I think it's unwarranted. Maybe he hasn't proven he's a sure fire pick ala Manning, but he hasn't disproven it either.

Mecca
Because McCoy is short basically.

McCoy's accuracy numbers are right with Bradford's, it's the system not the QB, that's why I used him as the example.

And look you really should know what sustainable playing weight means, some guys lose weight during the course of a season, you can jack yourself up and then lose that weight if your body isn't capable of carrying it.

Bradford's natural weight is probably closer to 220 which isn't THAT bad, I still question is durability, his release point, and his transition to the next level coming out of that system.

Mecca
03-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I see what you're saying. What im saying is, I don't get the hate. I think it's unwarranted. Maybe he hasn't proven he's a sure fire pick ala Manning, but he hasn't disproven it either.

I don't "hate" him, but the hype is hilarious, you put him in last years class he's the 3rd QB.

Now I'm suppose to believe he's the franchise guy for some reason.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM
The dude also put up a sick wonderlic score. If there was ever a guy that screamed franchise QB this is the guy.

Mecca
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM
"Bradford also showed a quick, easy release as well as decent footwork in the pocket and didn‘t lose much in the way of touch or accuracy when throwing on the move. He also rather effortlessly completed at least a couple of passes 65-70 yards downfield without much in the way of a windup." gbnreport.com

Too bad he has a weak arm.

:facepalm:

You still don't know how arm strength is measured do you, it's not measured on long throws.

ToxSocks
03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Well it will be interesting to see what happens in St. Louis then (assuming they draft him). He's not going to have an elite offensive line or elite WRs. He's going to be taking a LOT more shots than he did at Oklahoma.

I don't know if he's going to do well or not. I just don't see any reason to hate on him is all. He has an accurate arm. Which is HUGE in the NFL. If you can get the ball there accurately, then an offense can be tailor made to suit you. WCO for example. I bet he would excel in Weis' offense, Reid's offense.....Vermiel's offense...the list can go on and on....there is a premium for an accurate QB.

Chiefnj2

You still don't know how arm strength is measured do you, it's not measured on long throws.

70 yards, hitting a receiver in stride, without much of a windup and you are still questioning his arm strength?

BigCatDaddy

In order to throw long you still need velocity on the ball. Name the guys with big NFL arms and you will name that guys that can throw the ball the furthest. Favre, Russell, Brady,etc..

ToxSocks
03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't "hate" him, but the hype is hilarious, you put him in last years class he's the 3rd QB.

Now I'm suppose to believe he's the franchise guy for some reason.

3rd QB is very debateable. I'd say he probably would've went 2nd.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
70 yards, hitting a receiver in stride, without much of a windup and you are still questioning arm his arm strength?

It's called trying to dig your ass out of a hole.

ToxSocks
03-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Because McCoy is short basically.

McCoy's accuracy numbers are right with Bradford's, it's the system not the QB, that's why I used him as the example.

And look you really should know what sustainable playing weight means, some guys lose weight during the course of a season, you can jack yourself up and then lose that weight if your body isn't capable of carrying it.

Bradford's natural weight is probably closer to 220 which isn't THAT bad, I still question is durability, his release point, and his transition to the next level coming out of that system.

And plenty of players sustain their weight. You make a case for either. If he's serious, and his coach wants him to sustain 235, I dont see why it would be an issue. especially with NFL's work out and dietary programs that will be avail to him

Mecca
03-29-2010, 02:38 PM
If you guys are really going to argue that distance is how you measure arm strength, I'm never going to take anything you say seriously.

Because not only is it wrong, it's completely and so totally absurdly wrong it makes you look like a drooling jackass.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
If you guys are really going to argue that distance is how you measure arm strength, I'm never going to take anything you say seriously.

Because not only is it wrong, it's completely and so totally absurdly wrong it makes you look like a drooling jackass.

Yes, we know it's measured into how a guy throws the deep out.

Now name me the guys in the NFL with "strong arms".

Mecca
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
I gotta admit, I find it funny to see people get completely jazzed up about a guy who is basically Matt Schaub without the polish.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I gotta admit, I find it funny to see people get completely jazzed up about a guy who is basically Matt Schaub without the polish.

Matt Schaub > Mark Sanchez

The Bad Guy
03-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Being Matt Schaub isn't so shitty.

I'm a big fan of his.

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Being Matt Schaub isn't so shitty.

I'm a big fan of his.

I'm a huge Matt Schaub fan as well - I'm just not sure he has the intangibles necessary to lead a team to a championship.

He racks up video game-like stats, but I wouldn't consider him clutch, or the type of guy that could put a team on his back and win a huge game.

JMO.

DeezNutz
03-29-2010, 03:15 PM
I have serious concerns about Bradford's physical ability to withstand the NFL.

That said, I do think his accuracy is undervalued by many on the board. Yes, the spread means he's throwing to open receivers a lot of the time, but he can put the ball into tight windows, too.

Now, the question will be how well he'll do this under much more duress.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 03:18 PM
He racks up video game-like stats, but I wouldn't consider him clutch, or the type of guy that could put a team on his back and win a huge game.

JMO.

Heh, sounds like Drew Brees rep before last season.

philfree
03-29-2010, 03:19 PM
So if Bradford goes 1st does that increase the stock of Clausen and increase the chances of a team trying to trade up to get him?

PhilFree:arrow:

ToxSocks
03-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I have serious concerns about Bradford's physical ability to withstand the NFL.

That said, I do think his accuracy is undervalued by many on the board. Yes, the spread means he's throwing to open receivers a lot of the time, but he can put the ball into tight windows, too.

Now, the question will be how well he'll do this under much more duress.

I think his accuracy is a god given talent. His accuracy under pressure should improve as he begins to understand how to read defenses and is able to make a deciscion before the pressure gets to him.

Mecca
03-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Yet Schaub has been in that same offense since he was a college freshman..Bradford has to learn how to play in an NFL offense...

They have similar arms and Schaub is very injury prone, so I consider them a bit similar other than Bradford won't get to play with the guys Schaub does.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
So if Bradford goes 1st does that increase the stock of Clausen and increase the chances of a team trying to trade up to get him?

I wouldn't think so. Smith and Rodgers were neck and neck in 2005, and well you know the rest.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Yet Schaub has been in that same offense since he was a college freshman..Bradford has to learn how to play in an NFL offense...

They have similar arms and Schaub is very injury prone, so I consider them a bit similar other than Bradford won't get to play with the guys Schaub does.

Who has better numbers there first year in the league, Sanchez or Bradford?

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2010, 03:28 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/2gwgp4j.jpg

Mecca
03-29-2010, 03:29 PM
We'll see of Bradford even plays because frankly, he's not ready to go from day 1, he's not NFL ready.

But hey on that same token, I bet Bradford doesn't come close to winning as many games.

philfree
03-29-2010, 03:32 PM
We'll see of Bradford even plays because frankly, he's not ready to go from day 1, he's not NFL ready.

But hey on that same token, I bet Bradford doesn't come close to winning as many games.

LOL Not if goes to the Rams.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Redskins | Appear to be coveting three draft prospects
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:46:18 -0700

Rick Maese, of The Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins appear to covet University of Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford, Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen and Oklahoma State OT Russell Okung more than all of the other prospects with their first-round pick.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl#ixzz0jbUSRiWQ

Mecca
03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
We'll see where all these guys go, Clausen's more NFL ready than Bradford is so year 1 may not be a nice year to Sammy.

Archie Bunker
03-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Who has better numbers there first year in the league, Sanchez or Bradford?

If it's the Rams with that line and lack of weapons, Bradford is sitting and Feeley/Bulger is getting his ass kicked year one. That is a horrible situation for any QB let alone a rookie so I'd have to go with Sanchez.

ToxSocks
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
If it's the Rams with that line and lack of weapons, Bradford is sitting and Feeley/Bulger is getting his ass kicked year one. That is a horrible situation for any QB let alone a rookie so I'd have to go with Sanchez.

It's not a fair question really. Sanchez landed in the ideal situation. St Louis it the Anti-Ideal.

But...I still think Bradford will have better numbers.....

Fritz88
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
He's going 11th over all.

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Trey Wingo gets it.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2zejklx.jpg

penchief
03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
3rd QB is very debateable. I'd say he probably would've went 2nd.

Before he decided to stay in school most of the talking heads were saying that he would have been the first.

Mecca
03-29-2010, 03:46 PM
And they were full of crap, Bradford is in no way shape or form a better prospect than Stafford was.

Fish
03-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Coogs.... why did you change the number of passes thrown listed in the article from 63 to 100?

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Coogs.... why did you change the number of passes thrown listed in the article from 63 to 100?

Rich Gannon said on Sirius earlier today that he threw 50. So someone is giving out some bad info.

Fish
03-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Rich Gannon said on Sirius earlier today that he threw 50. So someone is giving out some bad info.

Well to quote the article in the link:

Bradford threw 63 passes (13 during a stationary period and 50 scripted throws)

So Gannon may just be talking about the scripted throws. But the question remains, how did it inflate to 100 in the thread?

OnTheWarpath15
03-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Well to quote the article in the link:

So Gannon may just be talking about the scripted throws. But the question remains, how did it inflate to 100 in the thread?

Who knows. I don't care if he threw eleventy-billion passes - he's doing it in a scripted environment against air.

Pro days are pointless, IMO.

Dave Lane
03-29-2010, 03:57 PM

Yes if someone feels they need a QB its a sellers market step right up only one left!

Coogs
03-29-2010, 04:09 PM

I didn't change it. That was the number at the time I copied the article.

Fish
03-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I didn't change it. That was the number at the time I copied the article.

So the article is full of shit....

:D

ChiefsCountry
03-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Bradford could be Rivers, but more than likely he is Trent Green. He will be a pure system QB in the NFL more than likely. I liked Bradford more as a freshman than I did as a sophomore. He showed alot more warts the more he played.

Coogs
03-29-2010, 04:58 PM
So the article is full of shit....

:D

No. Over in the Longe in Laz's post, the nuumbers were right. I must have copied a version just prior to the one Laz posted that was updated from the one I copied. I was working, so there was a down time between my copy and post. :shrug:

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Yes I love his numbers coming out of a system that inflates numbers, hold me back.

On top of that I don't care how big he is, he showed he was fragile on the college level if you think it gets easier on the NFL level I have some news for you...

Also did Gil Brandt talk about how he likes Bradford because his 4th cousin went fishing with the presidents 8th cousin in 1957? That's generally about all the dude talks about these days

In short Gil Brandt is a senile old fuck.

You know how Gil Brandt didn't write that?

All of the players' names were correct.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2010, 05:05 PM
If he can get up to 235, why in the hell would you think that he couldn't play at 235 if that's what his coach wants?

That makes no sense at all. Why would you believe that he couldn't play at 235?

And Colt McCoy doesn't have the frame that Bradford has, doesn't have the accuracy that Bradford has. No one is expecting Colt to be a 1st rnd pick.

im not a scout and I dont pretend to know why Bradford is a #1 and Colt is a 2nd-3rd rounder. But, there seems to be a fairly unanimous opinion about the two. So...someone....a lot of someones....somewhere know why Bradford is the better QB regardless of the system.

Players almost universally lose weight throughout the year because they can't lift and they have to cycle off.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
In order to throw long you still need velocity on the ball. Name the guys with big NFL arms and you will name that guys that can throw the ball the furthest. Favre, Russell, Brady,etc..

I've seen Chase Daniel throw a football 65 yards in the air.

Brady doesn't have a big arm, so you just destroyed your own credibility there.

BossChief
03-29-2010, 05:07 PM

So, what you are saying is that the fact that he threw 65-70 yard passes says nothing about his arm strength?

Is that what you are saying?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Drew Brees, the guy who had started in the NFC Championship game and won in the playoffs prior to last year now has a similar resume to Matt Schaub who has won more than 8 games exactly once and never sniffed the playoffs?

Dipshit.

ChiefsCountry
03-29-2010, 05:09 PM
So, what you are saying is that the fact that he threw 65-70 yard passes says nothing about his arm strength?

Arm strength is mainly measured by throwing deep outs, not just lining up seeing how far you can fling it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Absolutely that's what it means. Every QB in the NFL can throw a football 65 yards.

The measure of arm strength is the ability to throw a ball on a line through a window, not heave up a lollipop at a 45 degree angle like you're playing the QB arm strength drill on Madden '96.

Brock
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Sounds like he made all the throws today.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Sounds like he made all the throws today.

He made all the throws throughout his career.

BossChief
03-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Absolutely that's what it means. Every QB in the NFL can throw a football 65 yards.

The measure of arm strength is the ability to throw a ball on a line through a window, not heave up a lollipop at a 45 degree angle like you're playing the QB arm strength drill on Madden '96.

Damn, I forgot about that drill. Those were some fun times.

I disagree with the statement that every NFL quarterback can throw 65 yards. They cant.

I watched about every quarterback challenge there was and the furthest I can remember was Brett Farve throwing 76 yards or so. (maybe Testaverde had a monster in there somewhere, cant remember how far though) Most of the quarterbacks couldn't top 65 yards.

Randall Cunningham used to win it every year with throws about 70-75 yards.

I think Bradfords arm is every bit as good as Matt Ryans, but his accuracy is as good as it gets.

I was very surprised he could even throw it that far at all, big windup or not.

I dont think it says everything there is to know about a players arm strength, but its part of it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2010, 05:30 PM

I disagree with the statement that every NFL quarterback can throw 65 yards. They cant.

I watched about every quarterback challenge there was and the furthest I can remember was Brett Farve throwing 76 yards or so. (maybe Testaverde had a monster in there somewhere, cant remember how far though) Most of the quarterbacks couldn't top 65 yards.

I think Bradfords arm is every bit as good as Matt Ryans, but his accuracy is as good as it gets.

I dont think it says everything there is to know about a players arm strength, but its part of it.

I saw Chase Daniel throw a football 65 yards last year during a QB challenge. I saw Graham Harrell throw one 63. If they can throw it that far, literally any QB in the NFL (I should amend this to not Pennington) can heave a ball that far.

FWIW, Russell and Flacco have both thrown balls over 80 yards.

BossChief
03-29-2010, 05:45 PM
I saw Chase Daniel throw a football 65 yards last year during a QB challenge. I saw Graham Harrell throw one 63. If they can throw it that far, literally any QB in the NFL (I should amend this to not Pennington) can heave a ball that far.

FWIW, Russell and Flacco have both thrown balls over 80 yards.

I think that distance is a part of evaluating arm strength and it is a plus for the kid to have a workout where he threw passes over 65 yards and only 1 ball hit the ground out of 63 passes thrown.

I agree fully that a deep out is a much better indicator, but guys that throw deep passes on the button aren't a dime a dozen.

I really like both of these quarterbacks a lot. I think Sam has the "it" factor and has the work ethic to develop into a great pro.

Will he?

Not sure if SL has the coaches and system to develop him into what he is. They should think about switching to a spread system to help his transition and emphasize his strengths and limit his weakness'.

JMO

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 05:50 PM
I think that distance is a part of evaluating arm strength and it is a plus for the kid to have a workout where he threw passes over 65 yards and only 1 ball hit the ground out of 63 passes thrown.

I agree fully that a deep out is a much better indicator, but guys that throw deep passes on the button aren't a dime a dozen.

I really like both of these quarterbacks a lot. I think Sam has the "it" factor and has the work ethic to develop into a great pro.

Will he?

Not sure if SL has the coaches and system to develop him into what he is. They should think about switching to a spread system to help his transition and emphasize his strengths and limit his weakness'.

JMO

If this kid tested like a 7 on the wonderlic score then I can understand concerns about him learning a new system, but he blew away the field of QB's that will be drafted by FAR! So the kid is obviously not a moron. Basically every doubt that has been cast on him has been shredded so far. Any team needing a QB would jump on this guy in the top 5, but we have the Planateer Experts that apparently know more then the guys that get paid to do this for a living LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2010, 05:53 PM
If this kid tested like a 7 on the wonderlic score then I can understand concerns about him learning a new system, but he blew away the field of QB's that will be drafted by FAR! So the kid is obviously not a moaron!

It's not just about an ability to learn a system, part of it is being able to compartmentalize it in a meaningful way. Simply being intelligent (Ryan Fitzpatrick) doesn't mean that you are going to be able to do that.

Being a quarterback is about both thinking and not thinking. You need to be able to balance instinctual play with cerebral play.

That's one reason why Dan Marino was so good even though purely intellectually, he was a dumbass.

Sully
03-29-2010, 06:04 PM

I could be wrong, but iirc, Jay Schroeder set the record in that drill.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 06:34 PM
It's not just about an ability to learn a system, part of it is being able to compartmentalize it in a meaningful way. Simply being intelligent (Ryan Fitzpatrick) doesn't mean that you are going to be able to do that.

Being a quarterback is about both thinking and not thinking. You need to be able to balance instinctual play with cerebral play.

That's one reason why Dan Marino was so good even though purely intellectually, he was a dumbass.

Yeah, but I think Marino is more the exception then the rule.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
I could be wrong, but iirc, Jay Schroeder set the record in that drill.

If he did he really got hosed in Super Tecmo Bowl because his arm was like a wet noodle.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah, but I think Marino is more the exception then the rule.

Donovan McNabb, Ben Roethlisberger, and Troy Aikman aren't exactly So-crates.

BigCatDaddy
03-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Donovan McNabb, Ben Roethlisberger, and Troy Aikman aren't exactly So-crates.

Which is probably why it takes Ben 20 seconds to unload the ball.

aturnis
03-29-2010, 10:15 PM

Not Matt Cassel. To get the ball 35+ yards he has to throw it as high as possible and apparently hope the wind catches it.

BigChiefFan
03-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Rams won't make a decision, until they work him out 3 days prior to draft. I'd trade up for Bradford in a heartbeat.