PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports New test for HGH .... athletes scramble

Mr. Laz
03-29-2010, 01:47 PM
<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" ">New Tool Could Help in Testing for H.G.H.</nyt_headline>
<nyt_byline> By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/michael_s_schmidt/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
</nyt_byline> Published: March 28, 2010
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/adx/images/ADS/22/70/ad.227099/ofw_120x60_d.gif (http://www.nytimes.com/adx/bin/adx_click.html?type=goto&opzn&page=www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/sports&pos=Frame4A&sn2=8c469fcb/91ebe7ab&sn1=c488950/af17707f&camp=foxsearch2010_emailtools_1225564c_nyt5&ad=OFW_120x60_d_03.12&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efoxsearchlight%2Ecom%2Fourfamilywedding)
<nyt_text> <nyt_correction_top> </nyt_correction_top> A test similar to one used in cancer (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/cancer/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier) treatments has antidoping officials encouraged that they have found a new, and important, way to catch athletes using human growth hormone (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/test/growth-hormone/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier).

The test uses the same science that detects bone and breast cancer (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/breast-cancer/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier). A laboratory technician takes several milliliters of blood and spins the sample in a centrifuge. The blood is then mixed with chemicals, a reaction occurs and an instrument is used to measure the illumination in the blood.

The intensity of the light, antidoping experts say, signals whether the person has used H.G.H. over the past 10 to 14 days. The procedure is known as the biomarkers test.

Antidoping officials are usually eager to trumpet new testing methods, and skeptics have at times accused them of overstating scientific developments. Nevertheless, the officials maintain that the biomarkers test is a significant advancement over the current test for human growth hormone. That test can only detect H.G.H. that has been used in the previous 24 to 48 hours.

Officials for the World Anti-Doping Agency, which oversees the testing protocols of Olympic athletes and many professional athletes outside the United States, said that after more than a decade of research, the biomarkers test was only months from being put into use on athletes.
The introduction of the test by WADA will probably intensify the debate over H.G.H. blood testing that is taking place in Major League Baseball and the N.F.L. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_football_league/index.html?inline=nyt-org) The debate intensified last month after a professional rugby player in England was suspended after testing positive for H.G.H. It was the first time that an athlete had been suspended for an H.G.H. positive in the six years that testing has been used, and it clearly made an impression on officials in baseball and the N.F.L.

Since the suspension, the N.F.L. has said that it has asked its players union to accept blood testing for H.G.H. Baseball’s commissioner, Bud Selig (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/bud_selig/index.html?inline=nyt-per), has asked his deputies to pursue the quick implementation of the existing H.G.H. test in the minor leagues, where the consent of baseball’s players union is not required.

In turn, officials of the two unions have expressed reservations about the existing test, which they point out has caught only one athlete. Adding to their caution is that there has never been blood testing for performance-enhancing drugs in either league.

But even as the H.G.H. debate continues, the science of H.G.H. testing has progressed.

David Howman, the director general of WADA, said that he believed that the biomarkers test would make it harder for anyone in the N.F.L. and Major League Baseball to argue that there were not viable tests for H.G.H.

“The other test is scientifically reliable, and so is the new one,” Howman said. “Anyone who tells you otherwise hasn’t looked at the science.”
According to antidoping officials, the creators of the test said that they set the threshold for a positive extremely high, similar to other levels used in tests conducted by WADA.

H.G.H. is a naturally occurring substance in the body. Injections of it are believed to decrease fat and increase muscle growth. In any number of instances, it has been used by athletes who are rehabilitating after injuries. In the United States, it is illegal to possess H.G.H. without a prescription, and its use as a performance-enhancer is banned by all major sports around the world.

“H.G.H. has been used with great impunity since the 1970s,” Howman said. “It’s very available to athletes. They use it freely, and they usually don’t use things that can’t help them.”

The biomarkers test detects chemicals in the body that are raised when H.G.H. levels spike; the existing blood test simply detects the presence of synthetic H.G.H. Because the tests take different measurements, antidoping officials say that both will be used in the future.

“They are complementary,” said Larry Bowers, the chief science officer for the United States Anti-Doping Agency (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/united_states_anti-doping_agency/index.html?inline=nyt-org). “The biomarkers test can’t detect use in the first 48 hours, so that is why you use both of them. It’s another tool for us to use.”

Travis Tygart, the head of Usada, said: “It’s obviously very significant and it is why over the past several years, we have invested money in not just the direct test but the new marker test. We knew that the two of them would provide a significant deterrent.”

The N.F.L.’s top drug testing official, Adolpho Birch, said in a statement that the league was aware of the biomarkers test and was following its development.

“Our advisers keep us informed on the scientific progress and we are in regular contact with Usada and WADA officials,” Birch said. “The Partnership for Clean Competition, a research consortium that we founded along with other partners, recently held a conference at which the state of the research in this area was thoroughly discussed.”
A spokesman for the N.F.L. Players Association did not return e-mail or telephone messages seeking comment. Nor did a spokesman for the baseball players union. Rob Manfred, baseball’s top drug-testing official, said in a statement that the commissioner’s office was looking into the test and consulting with its medical adviser.

The antidoping officials, meanwhile, said they were in the final stages of reviewing the science behind the biomarkers test.

“At the end of the day, it’s about clean athletes,” Tygart said. “They ought to demand it. You don’t want to play in a sport where you don’t have the capabilities of testing for potent substances like human growth hormone that are significant performance-enhancers.”
<nyt_correction_bottom> </nyt_correction_bottom></nyt_text>
<!--cur: prev:--> A version of this article appeared in print on March 29, 2010, on page D1 of the New York edition.

Braincase
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
10 to 14 days? And me with a two-week cruise scheduled, darn!

DaneMcCloud
03-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Personally, I don't understand why HGH should be illegal for professional athletes use.

I know that if I were being paid to stay healthy and productive, I'd want to use it.

Consistent1
03-29-2010, 02:01 PM
I know a couple fools have claimed to use HGH "once". or a couple of times. The truth is, that does nothing. It only really does anything over a period of months or even years. If a test that works comes out, it will screw everything up huge in that regard. I haven't kept up lately on the current stuff, but using growth for a short period doesn't do anything except possibly take risks. You look at all the test replacement and HGH clinics for older folks, and it is an extended program. HGH has been overstated as being all that valuable in sports for the longest time.

Consistent1
03-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Personally, I don't understand why HGH should be illegal for professional athletes use.

I know that if I were being paid to stay healthy and productive, I'd want to use it.

I agree, but you have the same argument with test replacement and everything else one can use to improve over time. HGH will be less effective than tons of other shit I could put people on to make more rapid improvement. It's fucking entertainment guys. I even heard you say Dane that so many musicians will experiment with heroin for music purposes. Should they ban that as a PED in upcoming releases? Haha, I am not fucking with you here bro.

Mr. Laz
03-29-2010, 02:06 PM
HGH will turn into an offseason only PED if this test really pans out.

Consistent1
03-29-2010, 02:11 PM
HGH will turn into an offseason only PED if this test really pans out.

That's fine and all if you believe that will work. Big bucks and the various risks taken for what? It has never been that big of a deal compared to other stuff.

Mr. Laz
03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
That's fine and all if you believe that will work. Big bucks and the various risks taken for what? It has never been that big of a deal compared to other stuff.
i disagree

if used properly HGH can give you a big benefit by running an offseason cycle. You get a boost in recovery time for working out and overall improved energy level and sense of well-being.

can cause joint aches etc if you use a heavy load and you also probably have to use something to boost your thyroid but that isn't hard.

Consistent1
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
i disagree

if used properly HGH can give you a big benefit by running an offseason cycle. You get a boost in recovery time for working out and overall improved energy level and sense of well-being.

can cause joint aches etc if you use a heavy load and you also probably have to use something to boost your thyroid but that isn't hard.

In all seriousness, have you ever ran anything yourself, know people, etc?

Consistent1
03-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Also, if people search for what I myself call GH, you will mostly find a bunch of ads for fake supplement stuff that demonstrate this idea that it is helpful as can be to a better life. If you want to increase a 40 time before the combine, or whatever, it isn't what you mess with.

DaneMcCloud
03-29-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree, but you have the same argument with test replacement and everything else one can use to improve over time. HGH will be less effective than tons of other shit I could put people on to make more rapid improvement. It's fucking entertainment guys. I even heard you say Dane that so many musicians will experiment with heroin for music purposes. Should they ban that as a PED in upcoming releases? Haha, I am not fucking with you here bro.

It's all good.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge about the effect of HGH outside of childhood and puberty. I know a few people that took HGH from age 5 to 14 because they were very, very small petite people and unfortunately, their kids suffer from the same thing. The kids have HGH shots every night and will have them until they're at least 14 years old.

As far as athletes, I'm not sure what the exact results would be, but I've been told that it can help speed up the healing process. It won't necessarily increase your 40 time but it will help you to remain healthy week in and week out.

Which of course is somehow seen as a competitive advantage.

ThaVirus
03-29-2010, 03:01 PM
It's all good.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge about the effect of HGH outside of childhood and puberty. I know a few people that took HGH from age 5 to 14 because they were very, very small petite people and unfortunately, their kids suffer from the same thing. The kids have HGH shots every night and will have them until they're at least 14 years old.

As far as athletes, I'm not sure what the exact results would be, but I've been told that it can help speed up the healing process. It won't necessarily increase your 40 time but it will help you to remain healthy week in and week out.

Which of course is somehow seen as a competitive advantage.

It really is though, don't you think? I'll admit I don't know much about HGH, but from what I've heard this stuff blows protein shakes away. It seems like it would give an extremely unfair advantage to those just taking vitamins and sticking with a healthy workout regimen.

Amnorix
03-29-2010, 03:19 PM
What percentage of NFL players do you think is on HGH? I'm thinking 50+%, easy.

DaneMcCloud
03-29-2010, 03:22 PM
It really is though, don't you think? I'll admit I don't know much about HGH, but from what I've heard this stuff blows protein shakes away. It seems like it would give an extremely unfair advantage to those just taking vitamins and sticking with a healthy workout regimen.

I think it probably is a competitive advantage but I also can't understand why it would be illegal in professional sports..

We're talking about the health of the athlete and most accounts, HGH isn't damaging to the internal organs like steroids.

IF there's no short term or long term harm to the individual, why should it be banned?

DaneMcCloud
03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
What percentage of NFL players do you think is on HGH? I'm thinking 50+%, easy.

I would say easily.

I'm sure that even 90% of that time, HGH is administered by a team doctor.

Mr. Laz
03-29-2010, 03:34 PM
In all seriousness, have you ever ran anything yourself, know people, etc?BOTH

ThaVirus
04-05-2010, 02:08 PM
I think it probably is a competitive advantage but I also can't understand why it would be illegal in professional sports..

We're talking about the health of the athlete and most accounts, HGH isn't damaging to the internal organs like steroids.

IF there's no short term or long term harm to the individual, why should it be banned?

Well once again I'm speaking on something that I don't know much about, but to me it comes down to the "integrity of the game" (however vague that term may be). I would hate for the sport of football, or any other for that matter, to come down to who has the better HGH or steroids or whatever. It sends a message to the youth that one day hope to enter the NFL that they'll need that extra boost over their competition and will try to find it by one-upping with the best form of HGH they can get. It seems to me that hard work and dedication could end up taking a back seat to "juicing"...

KCChiefsMan
04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
just let them do it if they want to for Christ's sakes