PDA

View Full Version : Adam Schefter on Dez Bryant

The Franchise
03-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Meh.

Twenty teams expected to attend today's workout for Oklahoma St. WR Dez Bryant. Last week, Bryant clocked a 4.32 in the 40-yard dash.

Let the imagination run wild with this one: Dez Bryant is scheduled to have dinner tomorrow night with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

BigChiefFan
03-30-2010, 09:46 AM
4.32 40, catches everything thrown his way, and is a physical receiver. That equals meh? Some of you have blinders on.

ToxSocks
Im torn on this guy. Not sure what to think really. If he actually does run a sub 4.4, who would be opposed to taking him at #5?

The Franchise
4.32 40, catches everything thrown his way, and is a physical receiver. That equals meh? Some of you have blinders on.

Million dollar talent. Ten cent head.

ToxSocks
03-30-2010, 09:47 AM

He may have talent but i think most are drawn away from him due to his supposed bad work ethic, hasn't been in football for a year, Spread Offense Theory etc. ]

I'd still rather have Berry @5.

BigChiefFan
03-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Million dollar talent. Ten cent head.

Gee, I expected him to perform brain surgury on the sidelines.

Archie Bunker
03-30-2010, 09:56 AM
If he runs a sub 4.5, he'll move back into my top 5 at pick 5.

The Franchise
Gee, I expected him to perform brain surgury on the sidelines.

I'd answer this post.....but you can't even spell surgery correctly.

OnTheWarpath15
He may have talent but i think most are drawn away from him due to his supposed bad work ethic, hasn't been in football for a year, Spread Offense Theory etc. ]

I'd still rather have Berry @5.

And sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing he's shaved over two-tenths of a second off his best ever recorded 40 time.

I've yet to read any reputable draft site that has a recorded 40 time for Bryant under 4.52.

Scott Wright - 4.55

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/WR/Dez-Bryant.php

NFL Draft Scout - 4.52

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68811&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

Walter (projected) - 4.54

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2010WR.php

Just to name a few.

ToxSocks
03-30-2010, 10:00 AM
And sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing he's shaved over two-tenths of a second off his best ever recorded 40 time.

I've yet to read any reputable draft site that has a recorded 40 time for Bryant under 4.52.

Scott Wright - 4.55

NFL Draft Scout - 4.52

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68811&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

Just to name a few.

yeah, 4.32 sounds like pure BS to me. Im expecting the numbers to look something more like around 4.6-4.9 personally. I dont know much about the guy, but i would expect any legit WR to be at LEAST that fast.

BigChiefFan
03-30-2010, 10:02 AM
I'd answer this post.....but you can't even spell surgery correctly.Oh, not something misspelled. How dare I. :rolleyes:

JC, the point still stands. Did you ever think, that maybe sometimes people get in a hurry, no-that could never happen.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't think he'll run a 4.32. Anything less than a 4.5 would be good.

Even at a 4.50 he's worth the #5 pick.

OnTheWarpath15
yeah, 4.32 sounds like pure BS to me. Im expecting the numbers to look something more like around 4.6-4.9 personally. I dont know much about the guy, but i would expect any legit WR to be at LEAST that fast.

I'm going to have a hard time putting any stock into his pro day 40, considering he passed on the combine and keeps pushing back his pro day.

I was fully expecting somewhere between 4.55 and 4.7.

Now with an extra month to prepare, he might get down to sub-4.5.

And I still wouldn't touch him, and if the Chiefs do, they can take that "Right 53" bullshit and shove it up their fucking asses.

He broke NCAA rules, he's shown up late to practices and games, scored a whopping 16 on the Wonderlic, and has potentially faked an injury to avoid running a slow 40 time.

Sounds like a Pioli kind of guy.

The Franchise
Oh, not something misspelled. How dare I. :rolleyes:

JC, the point still stands. Did you ever think, that maybe sometimes people get in a hurry, no-that could never happen.

Get back into the Mock Draft thread and make another pick....he already taken....BY YOU.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 10:05 AM

Scott Wright - 4.55

NFL Draft Scout - 4.52

Just to name a few.

I don't believe the 4.32, but all of the sources you list are 100% guesses that all copy each other.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't believe the 4.32, but all of the sources you list are 100% guesses that all copy each other.

Care to prove that those numbers (other than Walter, who comes right out and says it's a projection) are guesses?

Or are you just talking out of your ass, yet again?

Funny how three different times are "copies" of each other.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Care to prove that those numbers (other than Walter, who comes right out and says it's a projection) are guesses?

Or are you just talking out of your ass, yet again?

Funny how three different times are "copies" of each other.

Don't be stupid. Did any of those sites have Tate under a 4.50 prior to the combine? Did any of them have accurate times for Campbell or half the TE's that ran really well? Did they have Spikes at a 5.00? They are all estimates.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2010, 10:49 AM
I guess the NFL denied Dez' petition to push back the NFL draft so he could continue to train.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
I'll say this much, if the dude runs a 4.32 in the 40 I have no problem drafting him. In the 2nd round.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I guess the NFL denied Dez' petition to push back the NFL draft so he could continue to train.ROFL

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 10:56 AM
I guess the NFL denied Dez' petition to push back the NFL draft so he could continue to train.

LMAO

Rain Man
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
I was watching NFL Network the other day, and they were talking about Pacman Jones holding a workout to try to get NFL interest.

They then said, (and all of the announcers started laughing), "On hand to support Pacman Jones in this endeavor was none other than Dez Bryant."

How on earth could a draft prospect with questions about his character do something like that? That was about the stupidest thing he could have done.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I was watching NFL Network the other day, and they were talking about Pacman Jones holding a workout to try to get NFL interest.

They then said, (and all of the announcers started laughing), "On hand to support Pacman Jones in this endeavor was none other than Dez Bryant."

How on earth could a draft prospect with questions about his character do something like that? That was about the stupidest thing he could have done.

Seriously?

What a fucking idiot.

CoMoChief
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
LOL to the morons that called him "another Rashaun Woods"

Quesadilla Joe
03-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Initial reports on Dez Bryant's 40-yard dash are not encouraging. One scout in attendance texted that Bryant clocked an unconfirmed 4.57.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/11317965339

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 11:06 AM
https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/11317965339

Shocking.

The Franchise
03-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Apparently Brandon Marshall isn't the only WR on the Seahawks radar. Seattle HC Pete Carroll spent Tuesday at Dez Bryant's Pro Day.

How long does Carroll last in the NFL this time?

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 11:08 AM

They've been using the same trainer - Duke Rousse.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/03/local_athletic_trainer_duke_ro.html

The Franchise
03-30-2010, 11:10 AM
They've been using the same trainer - Duke Rousse.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/03/local_athletic_trainer_duke_ro.html

Funny....I didn't hear anything about Laron Landry, Darren Sharper or Antonio Cromartie being there at Pacman's workout. Dez Bryant is a fucking moron for being there. People are already questioning your thought process and now you're showing up at a workout of someone who can't stay out of trouble?

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I'd love to know who fed Schefter this info about Bryant running a 4.32.

Sounds like someone got caught in a whopper of a lie.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 11:13 AM

Sounds like someone got caught in a whopper of a lie.

Probably someone who wants Dez to fall in the draft so they can take him.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Probably someone who wants Dez to fall in the draft so they can take him.

That would be pretty hard to do since teams are not allowed to visit workouts other than his league approved private workouts - which Bryant has held none.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 11:25 AM
That would be pretty hard to do since teams are not allowed to visit workouts other than his league approved private workouts - which Bryant has held none.

So you think someone from Bryant's own camp leaked it knowing there is no way in hell he could run that fast?

B_Ambuehl
03-30-2010, 11:30 AM

Sounds like someone got caught in a whopper of a lie

Most likely either his agent or his trainer. It's feasible he has been running 4.3s in training. Lots of guys tighten up running in front of big crowds and don't run as well.

I thought he looked like a 4.5ish type guy on tape so no big surprise here. His biggest asset is more difficult to measure and that's his quickness. For a guy his size he's amazingly quick in short areas. Not many 6'2 receivers have had the success in the punt return game that he has.

Archie Bunker
03-30-2010, 12:26 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=170666

Bryant posts 4.52, 4.68 at Tuesday's workout

Updating a previous item, Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant posted forty times of 4.52 and 4.68 at Tuesday's private workout in his hometown of Lufkin, Texas.

Bryant ran a third time of 4.52 due to the discrepancy between the first two times. He also dropped some passes early in drills before settling down and "getting into the flow." Though Bryant's game tape remains elite, NFL Network's Mike Mayocks says "more questions than answers" came out of the workout. He remains likely to be the first receiver off the board, however. Mar. 30 - 1:29 pm et

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Gil Brandt's writeup:

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant is still going through position drills at his private workout for NFL teams, but I do have his 40-yard dash times to pass along.

Bryant began the workouts Tuesday in his hometown of Lufkin, Texas, with the 40, posting times of 4.52, 4.68 and 4.52. He was asked to run the third time due to the discrepancy between the first two times, the second of which was into the wind.

Early during his position drills, Bryant did drop some passes, but he looked much better after getting into the flow of the drills with former Oklahoma State QB Bobby Reid.

The notable NFL coaches and executives in attendance today include Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, coach Mike Singletary and director of player personnel Trent Baalke of the 49ers, Packers coach Mike McCarthy and director of college scouting John Dorsey, Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler, Bucs wide receivers coach Eric Yarber and Raiders scout Cliff Branch.

– Gil Brandt

UPDATE: A few more Bryant numbers to pass along. He measured in at 6-foot-1 1/2 and 224 pounds, and he had a 38-inch vertical and an 11-foot-1 broad jump. Due to the hand-held times at workouts, you’ll see 40-yard dash times between 4.49 and 4.60 for Bryant.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=170666

Bryant posts 4.52, 4.68 at Tuesday's workout

Updating a previous item, Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant posted forty times of 4.52 and 4.68 at Tuesday's private workout in his hometown of Lufkin, Texas.

Bryant ran a third time of 4.52 due to the discrepancy between the first two times. He also dropped some passes early in drills before settling down and "getting into the flow." Though Bryant's game tape remains elite, NFL Network's Mike Mayocks says "more questions than answers" came out of the workout. He remains likely to be the first receiver off the board, however. Mar. 30 - 1:29 pm et

Where's that 4.32?

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Gil Brandt's writeup:

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant is still going through position drills at his private workout for NFL teams, but I do have his 40-yard dash times to pass along.

Bryant began the workouts Tuesday in his hometown of Lufkin, Texas, with the 40, posting times of 4.52, 4.68 and 4.52. He was asked to run the third time due to the discrepancy between the first two times, the second of which was into the wind.

Early during his position drills, Bryant did drop some passes, but he looked much better after getting into the flow of the drills with former Oklahoma State QB Bobby Reid.

The notable NFL coaches and executives in attendance today include Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, coach Mike Singletary and director of player personnel Trent Baalke of the 49ers, Packers coach Mike McCarthy and director of college scouting John Dorsey, Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler, Bucs wide receivers coach Eric Yarber and Raiders scout Cliff Branch.

– Gil Brandt

UPDATE: A few more Bryant numbers to pass along. He measured in at 6-foot-1 1/2 and 224 pounds, and he had a 38-inch vertical and an 11-foot-1 broad jump. Due to the hand-held times at workouts, you’ll see 40-yard dash times between 4.49 and 4.60 for Bryant.

So the 4.52's he posted were with the wind. Unless they asked him to run sideline to sideline, instead of end zone to end zone.

ToxSocks
03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Gil Brandt's writeup:

– Gil Brandt

Interesting to note that they didn't mention any Chiefs execs there. Guess that means we aren't interested.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-30-2010, 12:53 PM
He ran a 4.52 with the wind at his fucking pushed back pro-day?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Add in the Indy tax, and he would have run almost a 4.7 at the combine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Yeah, the guy who thought it was true.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Interesting to note that they didn't mention any Chiefs execs there. Guess that means we aren't interested.

I hope their not interested, but it's not necessarily true.

Denver didn't attend any of Jay Cutler's workouts, and then traded up to get him.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 12:55 PM
He ran a 4.52 with the wind at his fucking pushed back pro-day?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Hey, PM me your thoughts on my PM reply.

Archie Bunker
03-30-2010, 12:56 PM
He ran a 4.52 with the wind at his ****ing pushed back pro-day?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Yep, pretty much what I feared. Now he 100% not worth the risk in my book.

Lono
03-30-2010, 01:19 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

I think you guys are jumping to conclusions. Who knows if the wind picked up or something. You guys dont like the guy so you are going to take whatever you can and run with it. I'm not sure I want him at #5 but I would rather have him then bulaga, okung, or anyone else not named Berry/Clausen/Bradford/Suh. He is 224lbs, quick as lightning, and is proven he can catch the ball and make plays. The last time I checked we needed a playmaker more than a LT. I will be pissed at us taking a lineman if any of the above 4 or Bryant is still on the board.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 01:54 PM
I think you guys are jumping to conclusions. Who knows if the wind picked up or something. You guys dont like the guy so you are going to take whatever you can and run with it. I'm not sure I want him at #5 but I would rather have him then bulaga, okung, or anyone else not named Berry/Clausen/Bradford/Suh. He is 224lbs, quick as lightning, and is proven he can catch the ball and make plays. The last time I checked we needed a playmaker more than a LT. I will be pissed at us taking a lineman if any of the above 4 or Bryant is still on the board.

He'll be lucky to average 10 receptions a year. If the wind isn't against his back, he shouldn't even bother running a pattern since a DL can cover him.
- signed the drafturbators.

Rain Man
03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Seriously?

What a ****ing idiot.

Yeah, dead serious. The announcers were shaking their heads in disbelief while they were laughing.

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 02:05 PM

I'd rather have Dan Williams.

I think you're jumping to conclusions by stating that a WR that missed most of last season that ran basically a 4.7 is going to be a #1 receiver in the NFL.

His character is a major concern as well.

No thanks.

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 02:05 PM
LOL to the morons that called him "another Rashaun Woods"

LOL at CoMo

Chief Faithful
03-30-2010, 02:08 PM

I think you're jumping to conclusions by stating that a WR that missed most of last season that ran basically a 4.7 is going to be a #1 receiver in the NFL.

No thanks.

It would not surprise me one bit if Dan Williams is the Chiefs pick at #5.

Lono
03-30-2010, 02:11 PM

No thanks.

He ran a 4.52 twice, you guys are saying he basically ran a 4.7. I guess I can say he basically ran a 4.3 lol. Your right he did miss most of last season. He was also one of the premiere wideouts the year before and the best wideout last year. I don't buy all the spread talk. If you can play, you can play. Why is his character a majory concern? Because he hung out with an ex NFL player? Serious question btw, not sure if there is something I missed.

The Bad Guy
03-30-2010, 02:15 PM
He ran a 4.52 twice, you guys are saying he basically ran a 4.7. I guess I can say he basically ran a 4.3 lol. Your right he did miss most of last season. He was also one of the premiere wideouts the year before and the best wideout last year. I don't buy all the spread talk. If you can play, you can play. Why is his character a majory concern? Because he hung out with an ex NFL player? Serious question btw, not sure if there is something I missed.

Hung out with an ex-NFL player? Let's not make it seem like he's hanging out with anyone with character here. Surrounding yourself in Pacman's entourage can never be a good thing ever.

Lono
03-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Hung out with an ex-NFL player? Let's not make it seem like he's hanging out with anyone with character here. Surrounding yourself in Pacman's entourage can never be a good thing ever.

I was talking about Deon. Isn't that why he was suspended?

Archie Bunker
03-30-2010, 02:18 PM

That's because Pro Day times are usually alot faster than combine times. This year it seems you can add .10-.15 to any Pro Day time.

The Bad Guy
03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
I was talking about Deon. Isn't that why he was suspended?

Another outstanding human being.

BTW, boy wonder forgot his cleats today and had to run in shoes that weren't broken in. On the most important day of his life, he forgets his cleats. Smooth.

ToxSocks
03-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh,wait, it gets better. This guy is full of excuses. I have never seen a prospect with so many excuses. Not only is it the winds fault, it's also his shoes!

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant reportedly forgot his cleats for Tuesday's workout, causing his numbers to drop while wearing shoes that hadn't been broken in.
NFL Network's Mike Mayock pointed out during the workout that Bryant was slipping during his forty-yard dash. If the reports of a 4.32 forty during training last week are to be believed, Bryant would have run faster Tuesday if not for the slipping. Bryant posted highly impressive numbers in the vertical (38 inches) and broad jump (11'1"), but he didn't finish the short shuttle or the three-cone drill.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

ToxSocks
03-30-2010, 02:25 PM
This shit is getting comical. Notice how Sanders keeps repping for players like Bryant, Pacman Jones and Crabtree?

I'd steer clear of players that Sanders puts "under his wing"

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 02:26 PM

The only link to Pacman was that he was at Pacman's workout. They share the same trainer and so do a handful of other top NFL players. I would presume the trainer told him to attend the workout so he could get a first hand look at some of the things he was going to be asked to do today.

Bryant is a kid who supposedly had a really tough upbringing, but he never got in any serious trouble at school. No drug problems, no arrests, no public drunkeness, etc. I've seen him take some pretty cheap shots on the field and not retaliate, so I think he has the potential to be level headed. Is there a chance he flakes out in the NFL? Sure. Is there a chance he continues to play like he did the last three years? Sure. Personally, I'd be willing to take the chance on him over a RT.

Shag
03-30-2010, 02:26 PM
BTW, boy wonder forgot his cleats today and had to run in shoes that weren't broken in. On the most important day of his life, he forgets his cleats. Smooth.

Sounds like a planned excuse to me...

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
LUFKIN, Texas — I think the NFL scouts and coaches in attendance at Dez Bryant’s private workout today — and there were a ton of them — left with more questions than answers.

I went into the workout with Bryant as my No. 3 best football player in the country — not the No. 3 best wide receiver, but the third-best football player in the draft. And here’s what I saw today. I saw a guy with a 38-inch vertical leap, I saw a guy broad jump 11-foot, 1-inches and I saw a guy run a 1.5-second flat 10 yards. When you add that all up, it should equate to a 4.4, 4.42 40.

But he ran a 4.55 as an average today. So I was disappointed with the 40. I’ve got to attach some significance to that, and that’s the difficulty all 32 teams are going to have.

He came in at 224 pounds. When he was playing his best football, he was in that 210, 212 range. But he’s cut up. It’s not like there’s a lot of body fat there.

The best part of the workout for me was that he got into the routes. He can pluck the football. Strong hands, big body, 224 pounds. I like the guy but I can’t put him in Larry Fitzgerald’s class. Larry came out at 223 pounds and ran a 4.52 40. Very similar numbers. But Larry was completely clean off the field. This kid didn’t finish the short shuttle today, didn’t finish the three-cone. There are some red flags there.

When you run 4.55 and you’re considered an elite receiver, and you’re not clean off the field — there were some issues today — I’m going to completely have to reevaluate where I have this guy going in the draft. I’m going to go back to tape and I’m going to have to talk to some people about him. I talked to enough guys around today, and everyone was thinking the same thing: ‘OK, if this guy starts to slide, are we going to take him at No. whatever.’ And a lot of people are going back to tape to do more homework on him.

His slide could be significant based on the comments I’ve heard.

Would it surprise me if he went around No. 10? No. Would it surprise me if he went, say, 25? Absolutely not. And he could fall anywhere in between.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Oh,wait, it gets better. This guy is full of excuses. I have never seen a prospect with so many excuses. Not only is it the winds fault, it's also his shoes!

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant reportedly forgot his cleats for Tuesday's workout, causing his numbers to drop while wearing shoes that hadn't been broken in.
NFL Network's Mike Mayock pointed out during the workout that Bryant was slipping during his forty-yard dash. If the reports of a 4.32 forty during training last week are to be believed, Bryant would have run faster Tuesday if not for the slipping. Bryant posted highly impressive numbers in the vertical (38 inches) and broad jump (11'1"), but he didn't finish the short shuttle or the three-cone drill.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

What a joke.

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Sure. Personally, I'd be willing to take the chance on him over a RT.

So those are the only options?

A WR with questionable work ethic and associations or a fucking right tackle?

Huh?

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 02:35 PM
So those are the only options?

A WR with questionable work ethic and associations or a ****ing right tackle?

Huh?

Who said those are the only options?

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 02:36 PM
He ran a 4.52 twice, you guys are saying he basically ran a 4.7. I guess I can say he basically ran a 4.3 lol.

Are you a family member or just ill-informed?

Your right he did miss most of last season. He was also one of the premiere wideouts the year before and the best wideout last year. I don't buy all the spread talk. If you can play, you can play. Why is his character a majory concern? Because he hung out with an ex NFL player? Serious question btw, not sure if there is something I missed.

If you're going to play in Draftplanet, please know your shit. This isn't the Lounge. Don't come in here with wild accusations then when corrected, throw your hands up in the air.

Bryant played in the Spread. He's not an accurate route runner, he's not particularly fast, he was suspended for having contact with an agent (Deion Sanders), he wouldn't run at the Combine, he failed to participate in all of the drills today, he "claims" to have forgotten his cleats AND he was present when Pacman Jones had a recent workout.

Is this a guy you want to pay $50 million dollars and take at #5 overall?

Mecca
03-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Hopefully the Bryant pimps finally give this one up, dude is more hype than substance.

Who basically doesn't play for a year, repeatedly pushes back workouts then "forgets" his cleats.

It's either a lame excuse or proves the guy is a fucking retard.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 02:39 PM

If you're going to play in Draftplanet, please know your shit. This isn't the Lounge. Don't come in here with wild accusations then when corrected, throw your hands up in the air.

Bryant played in the Spread. He's not an accurate route runner, he's not particularly fast, he was suspended for having contact with an agent (Deion Sanders), he wouldn't run at the Combine, he failed to participate in all of the drills today, he "claims" to have forgotten his cleats AND he was present when Pacman Jones had a recent workout.

You forgot the part about being late for practices and games.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 02:41 PM

You should get your facts straight. He was not suspended for have contact with an agent. He was suspended for lying about meeting Sanders. Sanders is not an agent. The meeting was legal. The kid got nervous when the NCAA started asking him questions about the meeting and lied and said they didn't meet. He was suspended for not telling the truth.

Mecca
03-30-2010, 02:42 PM
When you lie about something that inherently means he thought he was doing something wrong...that should alone tell you what was going on there.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 02:44 PM
When you lie about something that inherently means he thought he was doing something wrong...that should alone tell you what was going on there.

He wasn't doing anything wrong. That is a fact. He's not the brightest bulb. When the NCAA came around asking questions he got nervous and lied.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
You should get your facts straight. He was not suspended for have contact with an agent. He was suspended for lying about meeting Sanders. Sanders is not an agent. The meeting was legal. The kid got nervous when the NCAA started asking him questions about the meeting and lied and said they didn't meet. He was suspended for not telling the truth.

Not necessarily true.

The whole thing that started this was allegations that Deion was setting up a meeting between Bryant and Eugene Parker.

Then Bryant, being a mental midget, lies to the NCAA about ever meeting with Deion.

What is there to get nervous about if everything is on the up-and-up?

Mecca
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
So basically the argument is Dez Bryant is a retard.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
What is there to get nervous about if everything is on the up-and-up?

Do you get nervous if the cops pull you over if you haven't done anything wrong?

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Do you get nervous if the cops pull you over if you haven't done anything wrong?

No, because I haven't done anything wrong.

Mecca
03-30-2010, 02:51 PM
I mean really even if you believe Chiefnj's argument than at best Dez Bryant is a moron.

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Sanders was acting as a intermediary for Eugene Parker.

Regardless, nothing else I posted was incorrect and apparently, Lono is clueless to all of it.

Why are you such a picky bitch these days? That's SO last year for you.

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Fuck no.

And quite honestly, I'm not nervous if I HAVE done something wrong, which in my case has been speeding (though not for a decade) and expired tags.

Icon
03-30-2010, 02:58 PM
A couple of months ago I was excited about the possibility of drafting Dez. He put up monster numbers in 2007 and 2008 and started off pretty good in 2009 until he got caught lying to the NCAA about meeting with Dion. Then stories starting circulating about him being late for practices and late for games. He's had some poor interviews, didn't work out at the combine and left early. Now he runs a 4.6 40 and blames the poor time on the fact he forgot his cleats? Not the right 53. No way Pioli / Haley draft this guy.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 02:58 PM
**** no.

And quite honestly, I'm not nervous if I HAVE done something wrong, which in my case has been speeding (though not for a decade) and expired tags.

Of course you don't get nervous. I didn't expect it from you. When the cops pull you over, you're like "Let me see your ID. I live next door to Lindsay F'ing Lohan. I'm special."

KevB
03-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Hopefully the Bryant pimps finally give this one up, dude is more hype than substance.

There was a heck of a lot of substance when he was on the field for OK State. That's what has everyone so confused on how to slot the guy. Huge questions, but big production when he actually plays.

Brock
03-30-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't care about the lying. Everybody lies. Yes, you too.

Rain Man
03-30-2010, 03:03 PM
There was a heck of a lot of substance when he was on the field for OK State. That's what has everyone so confused on how to slot the guy. Huge questions, but big production when he actually plays.

Sounds like Brandon Marshall, where even if he works out well on the field he's going to leave for another team in a few years when he's not treated like Moses.

dirk digler

I agree with Dane. He is a huge head case and I wouldn't draft him unless he was available in the 7th round.

Rain Man
I don't care about the lying. Everybody lies. Yes, you too.

I don't lie.

Wait. I just did.

Delano
03-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Someone on the SVP radio show said Bryant repeatedly has "phone issues" when interviewers ask tough questions.

LMAO

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 03:08 PM

You

kepp

ROFL ROFL ROFL

So doesn't that make him smart for not running at the combine?

Delano
I don't lie.

Wait. I just did.

http://i.imgur.com/ZQdH9.jpg

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
So doesn't that make him smart for not running at the combine?

Smart?

Not necessarily because everyone could see through that little smokescreen he was trying to throw up.

I think he'd have impressed more people if he had run, participated and interviewed well.

It's not like these same people wouldn't find out in the end.

JohnnyV13
03-30-2010, 03:49 PM
No, because I haven't done anything wrong.

Then you're a fool that doesn't realize that innocent people can get accused of crimes.

JohnnyV13
03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
You want to know a little secret? Cops are nervous during vehicle stops, especially at night. Night vehicle stops are the riskiest thing a cop does on a regular basis.

Why? Because, a cop never knows exactly who he has pulled over. Could it be a guy who stole a car (so you cant tell its a dangerous guy from running his plate) who has a serious felony rap on him?

A cop never knows what you have in your car (concealed weapons are the fear), who you might be, and if its at night, he has reduced visibility.

Add in factors that the vehicle might pull over in an awkward location in terms of safety (cop can get hit by oncoming traffic), and cops actually approach vehicle stops with personal safety concerns.

That's why its utterly stupid to get mad at, or berate a cop during a vehicle stop. He's got a gun, you probably don't. You don't want to get agitated, then hurriedly reach around your car for license, registration papers or proof of insurance.

And, if you want to later challenge a ticket, you dont want to get mad because you want him to have no reason to remember the stop. Vehicles stops all blurr togther in a cop's memory, and you probably remember the incident far better than he does. A lawyer can, at times, exploit that in court.

T-post Tom
03-30-2010, 04:04 PM
And this just in: Jimmy Conrad is scheduled to have dinner tomorrow night with Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt.

ToxSocks
03-30-2010, 04:06 PM
You want to know a little secret? Cops are nervous during vehicle stops, especially at night. Night vehicle stops are the riskiest thing a cop does on a regular basis.

Why? Because, a cop never knows exactly who he has pulled over. Could it be a guy who stole a car (so you cant tell its a dangerous guy from running his plate) who has a serious felony rap on him?

A cop never knows what you have in your car (concealed weapons are the fear), who you might be, and if its at night, he has reduced visibility.

Add in factors that the vehicle might pull over in an awkward location in terms of safety (cop can get hit by oncoming traffic), and cops actually approach vehicle stops with personal safety concerns.

That's why its utterly stupid to get mad at, or berate a cop during a vehicle stop. He's got a gun, you probably don't. You don't want to get agitated, then hurriedly reach around your car for license, registration papers or proof of insurance.

And, if you want to later challenge a ticket, you dont want to get mad because you want him to have no reason to remember the stop. Vehicles stops all blurr togther in a cop's memory, and you probably remember the incident far better than he does. A lawyer can, at times, exploit that in court.

That's great and all, and I feel for the cop. I really do.

But this is about Dez "white" Bryant. Not about nervous cops.

L.A. Chieffan
03-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Id rather have Tate

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Has there ever been a "top" prospect with this many red flags?

Speed
Scheme
Route running
Intelligence
Multiple character concerns

At what point is the reward not worth the risk?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Then you're a fool that doesn't realize that innocent people can get accused of crimes.

Oh, for fuck's sake, it's not An Innocent Man

BigCatDaddy
03-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Speed
Scheme
Route running
Intelligence

Michael Crabtree

The Franchise
03-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Crabtree had character concerns? And realize that I'm talking about before the draft.....not his holdout.

And I don't ever remember anyone saying anything about his intelligence either.

BigCatDaddy
03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Crabtree had character concerns? And realize that I'm talking about before the draft.....not his holdout.

And I don't ever remember anyone saying anything about his intelligence either.

I don't remember anything about intelligence so he only hit on 4 of those, but he did have some character issues according to what an exec allegedly told PFW. But take it for what's it worth.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2010, 06:41 PM
It's inexcusable for him to forget his shoes. It's also inexcusable for his agent and trainers not to: (a) go get his damn shoes and delay the workout for a half hour, (b) not have additional shoes available, (c) not be familiar with the field so that your client doesn't slip and slide the entire practice, and (d) not have different shoes available when your client is slipping and sliding.

The difference between being a top 8 pick and the #18 pick is huge. Have a few spare Nike's available.

BossChief
03-30-2010, 07:15 PM
The guy is the new TO

...except not as good.

Mecca
03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
TO isn't retarded he just has a big mouth, I don't think Bryant has anything remotely resembling Owens work ethic.

RippedmyFlesh
03-30-2010, 08:40 PM

Speed
Scheme
Route running
Intelligence

Usually when someone is iffy because of "issues" the only time it's really a debate is if the guy has so much physical talent that you take the chance.
I am not saying bryant won't be good but nothing screams "you have to look at him" .

Ralphy Boy
03-30-2010, 08:40 PM

Same here. He's a 4.5 guy at best. Who told Schefter he ran a 4.32, Bryant himself?

milkman
03-31-2010, 07:14 AM
Where's that 4.32?

At about the 36 yard mark.

Didn't do the actual math, just a guess off the top of my head.

MOhillbilly
03-31-2010, 07:39 AM

Speed
Scheme
Route running
Intelligence

Hes got LJ written all over him.

MOhillbilly
03-31-2010, 07:41 AM
It's inexcusable for him to forget his shoes. It's also inexcusable for his agent and trainers not to: (a) go get his damn shoes and delay the workout for a half hour, (b) not have additional shoes available, (c) not be familiar with the field so that your client doesn't slip and slide the entire practice, and (d) not have different shoes available when your client is slipping and sliding.

The difference between being a top 8 pick and the #18 pick is huge. Have a few spare Nike's available.

entitlement issues run rampant w/ skill position players.

Lono
03-31-2010, 07:48 AM
The dude can be the dumbest guy on the planet. As long as he catches the football, I don't give a crap. I don't care that he lied, everyone has lied. I don't care that he caught balls from a quarterback who started 4 yards back on the snap. I don't CARE! He can leap and actually catch the ball. That's what I care about. Multiple character concerns lol. You guys kill me. First he had dinner with Deon. Then he went to pacman's pro day. That's not character concerns. Character concerns are getting arrested for a dui, rapping a woman, shooting someone, stabbing someone, molesting a child. Those are character concerns. Showing up at a pro day who has the exact same trainer as you do is not one. I could give two craps about the right 53 guys. I want some freaking playmakers and I don't give two craps about their character concerns. I'm guessing if you guys were the Ravens GM, you would have fired Ray Lewis because he had character concerns. Please, spew out your garbage to someone else.

MOhillbilly
03-31-2010, 07:54 AM
The dude can be the dumbest guy on the planet. As long as he catches the football, I don't give a crap. I don't care that he lied, everyone has lied. I don't care that he caught balls from a quarterback who started 4 yards back on the snap. I don't CARE! He can leap and actually catch the ball. That's what I care about. Multiple character concerns lol. You guys kill me. First he had dinner with Deon. Then he went to pacman's pro day. That's not character concerns. Character concerns are getting arrested for a dui, rapping a woman, shooting someone, stabbing someone, molesting a child. Those are character concerns. Showing up at a pro day who has the exact same trainer as you do is not one. I could give two craps about the right 53 guys. I want some freaking playmakers and I don't give two craps about their character concerns. I'm guessing if you guys were the Ravens GM, you would have fired Ray Lewis because he had character concerns. Please, spew out your garbage to someone else.

you should give 2 craps about the right 53.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2010, 07:57 AM
you should give 2 craps about the right 53.

Without the right 53 we wouldn't have won 4 games last year. No Goff, no Vrabel, no merry-go-round of WRs.

MOhillbilly
03-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Without the right 53 we wouldn't have won 4 games last year. No Goff, no Vrabel, no merry-go-round of WRs.

My point being that singular sensations dont make championship teams champions by themselves.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2010, 08:08 AM
My point being that singular sensations dont make championship teams champions by themselves.

having a WR that can actually catch the ball would help.

If Bryant slips it's probably better for him. A team in the teens probably has a better QB situation that the top 10 guys, and more structure for him than somewhere like KC, Oakland, Buffalo or Jax.

L.A. Chieffan
03-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Here's the McShay Insider article or whatever on Bryant:

LUFKIN, Texas -- The pro day workout of Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant took place at Abe Martin Stadium here in Lufkin, hosted by Bryant's high school coach John Outlaw and attended by the likes of Seattle coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider, Packers coach Mike McCarthy and college scouting director John Dorsey, San Diego senior executive Randy Mueller, Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert, San Francisco coach Mike Singletary, Baltimore receivers coach John Hostler, a group from Oakland and at least one representative from 10 other teams.

The warm, sunny day was a perfect setting to show his wares, and on the positive side Bryant is in ridiculous shape and checked in at a shredded 6-foot-1½ and 224 pounds. He missed the majority of the 2009 season after being suspended for lying to NCAA investigators looking into his relationship with former NFL star Deion Sanders but Bryant has kept himself in peak physical condition and didn't slow down during drills.

He showed off his explosiveness with a 38-inch vertical jump and an 11-foot-1 broad jump, and his hands were on display when he made a couple of big-time catches during pass-catching drills.

NFL teams will leave lufkin with a 40-yard dash time somewhere in the mid 4.5-second range. I clocked him at 4.52 on his first attempt (with the wind) and 4.59 on his second (against wind). Bryant was asked to run a third time because of the discrepancy and I clocked that attempt (with the wind) at 4.50. The times are about what we expected, although a few team reps expressed some frustration with the erratic results that stemmed from Bryant's inconsistent starting technique and handheld stopwatches on a somewhat windy day.

His 225-pound bench press (14 repetitions) and three-cone drill (6.94 seconds) were also about what scouts expected, but Bryant's problems began during agility drills. He struggled with the short shuttle, almost as if he had never attempted one before, and needed four tries before completing the drill and recording a 4.46.

You have to like the determination he showed in finally getting it right but the fact that he quit on his fifth attempt is somewhat telling for a guy who carries some character baggage. Bryant did revisit the short shuttle after running routes and posted a final time in the 4.42 range, but one NFL personnel man in attendance told me Bryant's frustration and reaction to the adversity will definitely be taken into consideration.

During his pass-catching session Bryant ran routes of every variety and looked a bit raw, even struggling with his footing on comeback routes, though he did drop his weight well getting into and out of breaks and gave good effort even as he tired near the end of the workout.

In the end Bryant did nothing to hurt his standing as the top wide receiver on the board. No one was blown away by his showing but he is a little bigger and faster than No. 3 WR Arrelious Benn (No. 2 receiver Demaryius Thomas is is injured and has no results for comparison) and Bryant has top-five physical talent. Bryant's stock will hold steady after this workout, and the question for NFL teams now becomes how high they are willing to take a prospect with some off-the-field issues.

Talent evaluators have to decide what kind of financial risk they are willing to make when taking on a player who is competitive and athletic but sometimes loses focus. However, enough teams seem to think Bryant is not a bad guy but simply the product of a tough life, and that with the right veteran leadership he could thrive the way Randy Moss did under the tutelage of Chris Carter in Minnesota.

Jacksonville might be a bit of a reach at No. 10 overall and it's doubtful the Broncos are willing to bring in another potential problem child at wide receiver with the No. 11 pick. Bryant is probably too rich for Miami at No. 12, but Seattle is a possibility at No. 14 given the sizable contingent the Seahawks sent to Lufkin.

Cincinnati picks at No. 21 and we all know the Bengals have no qualms about taking on players with character issues, so that looks like the floor for Bryant at this point. It will be interesting to see whether a team picking somewhere between Nos. 13 and 20 decides to snatch him up based on the value he would offer in that area, even if receiver is not a primary need.

No matter where he is taken Bryant has the potential to be an impact player because when he is focused on football he is the real deal and as good as it gets.

Other workouts
The pro day workouts of Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford and his teammates took center stage as the week began, but plenty of other prospects are showing off for NFL scouts and here's a look at some noteworthy results from the past few days:

Arizona TE Rob Gronkowski (6-62, 258) -- Gronkowski ran the 40-yard dash in the high 4.6-second range and posted a vertical jump of 33.4 inches at his pro day over the weekend. He did drop a couple of passes but also showed he can snatch the ball out of the air with his massive (10.6 inches) hands and showed he has the athletic ability to develop into a fluid route runner.

Gronkowski now looks to be in a dead heat with Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham -- who caught the ball well and cut sharply when running routes during Bradford's workout -- for the top spot among tight ends. Both are underclassmen who face durability questions after each missed the entire 2009 season, but based on their athleticism we expect one to come off the board in the first round and the other to last only a short time in the second round.

Northwestern DE Corey Wooton (6-6, 270) -- His 40 time in the mid-4.9s is not great, but Wooton's best fit is at defensive end in a base 3-4 scheme and he doesn't need great speed to develop into a starting 5-technique lineman in that front. He also has the frame and long arms (34.6 inches) to eventually excel in a two-gap scheme and could come off the board late in the second round, but Wooton is most likely a third-round pick.

Northwestern CB Sherrick McManis -- McManis did not work out because of a quadriceps injury, the same injury that cost him three games in 2009, and he did not take part in the combine because of hamstring and pectoral injuries. Durability has been an issue for McManis throughout his career and he has gone from a potential sixth-round pick to a seventh-rounder or rookie free agent.

Mecca
03-31-2010, 08:01 PM
rotoworld excerpt:

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant lashed out at his skeptics to the Associated Press following his Tuesday Pro Day, insisting the criticism "has gone too far" and saying "he ain't never got in trouble with nobody."

Well, this won't help him. "I don't say anything wrong to nobody. I'm friendly. This here is too far," Bryant said. "Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? Y'all don't want me to go to the NFL or something? It is going to happen. God blessed me to have this ability to play this game. I feel like I'm going through the same situation Randy Moss did." Bryant also defended Pacman Jones. "Why down talk the man," Bryant said of Pacman. "The man did everything right."

He's retarded.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-31-2010, 08:04 PM
rotoworld excerpt:

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant lashed out at his skeptics to the Associated Press following his Tuesday Pro Day, insisting the criticism "has gone too far" and saying "he ain't never got in trouble with nobody."

Well, this won't help him. "I don't say anything wrong to nobody. I'm friendly. This here is too far," Bryant said. "Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? Y'all don't want me to go to the NFL or something? It is going to happen. God blessed me to have this ability to play this game. I feel like I'm going through the same situation Randy Moss did." Bryant also defended Pacman Jones. "Why down talk the man," Bryant said of Pacman. "The man did everything right."

He's retarded.

When Mayock interviewed him he came across as DUMB!

OnTheWarpath15
03-31-2010, 08:06 PM
rotoworld excerpt:

He's retarded.

Just when you think this kid can't be any more of a fuck up, he goes out of his way to prove you wrong.

:facepalm:

Mecca
It's pretty obvious he's not very intelligent, not that that really matters I guess.

Mecca
Just when you think this kid can't be any more of a fuck up, he goes out of his way to prove you wrong.

:facepalm:

Hey wanna see someone who likes Dez Bryant? Here's one..this is from NFLDC...I think you'll enjoy it.

He's not trying to stir up any controversy, if he turned his back on the media & didn't answer any questions they'd bash him even more. People keep trying to pull this guy down & it literally has NOTHING to do with him as a player on the field. Obviously he's not the most intelligent guy, but his message is true there... he's not a bad guy, he's polite, he's been nice to everyone and the media is portraying him as a head-case. He didn't cite any of Jones' nightclub outings, he just sides with a guy like Jones/Moss as they are (or were in Moss' case) players that have been bashed relentlessly by the media. There are a lot of college kids here so they should step back and look at the pressure he's been under and the amount of scrutiny he's endured for little things (like forgetting his shoes) and try to imagine yourself. He feels a little like a victim of the media at this point and all that matters is how well he can talk & build relationships with NFL coaches and front office personnel.

I would absolutely LOVE to have Dez Bryant at 21. Arguably the biggest steal (based on talent & ability) since Randy Moss. Bryant may not be in the Fitz/Jerry Rice class as a mature adult, but his work on the field was not far behind what Fitz was able to do at Pitt. I'm one that believes he plays faster than that 4.52-4.55 timed speed and doesn't need to be purely a vertical threat to succeed at the NFL level. The guy is electric with the ball in his hands, better than Larry Fitzgerald coming out & get ready for it, Calvin Johnson out of Georgia Tech. He's creative with the ball, he gets yards after the catch, he accelerates well, and he's not the easiest guy to bring down at 6'2 220.

Say what you want, keep trying to spin every little thing Dez does into the wrong move and a major red flag. The man will get paid & I would be shocked if he didn't go among the Top 14 picks in the draft; based on ability and my perceived value as a #1 potential star receiver I don't think it'd be a reach (in the slightest bit) for Seattle (6) or Cleveland (7) to take him in the Top 10 Overall.

All in all it doesn't surprise me that the 1 guy that defends Bryant...is a Bengals fan.

OnTheWarpath15
03-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Hey wanna see someone who likes Dez Bryant? Here's one..this is from NFLDC...I think you'll enjoy it.

He's not trying to stir up any controversy, if he turned his back on the media & didn't answer any questions they'd bash him even more. People keep trying to pull this guy down & it literally has NOTHING to do with him as a player on the field. Obviously he's not the most intelligent guy, but his message is true there... he's not a bad guy, he's polite, he's been nice to everyone and the media is portraying him as a head-case. He didn't cite any of Jones' nightclub outings, he just sides with a guy like Jones/Moss as they are (or were in Moss' case) players that have been bashed relentlessly by the media. There are a lot of college kids here so they should step back and look at the pressure he's been under and the amount of scrutiny he's endured for little things (like forgetting his shoes) and try to imagine yourself. He feels a little like a victim of the media at this point and all that matters is how well he can talk & build relationships with NFL coaches and front office personnel.

I would absolutely LOVE to have Dez Bryant at 21. Arguably the biggest steal (based on talent & ability) since Randy Moss. Bryant may not be in the Fitz/Jerry Rice class as a mature adult, but his work on the field was not far behind what Fitz was able to do at Pitt. I'm one that believes he plays faster than that 4.52-4.55 timed speed and doesn't need to be purely a vertical threat to succeed at the NFL level. The guy is electric with the ball in his hands, better than Larry Fitzgerald coming out & get ready for it, Calvin Johnson out of Georgia Tech. He's creative with the ball, he gets yards after the catch, he accelerates well, and he's not the easiest guy to bring down at 6'2 220.

Say what you want, keep trying to spin every little thing Dez does into the wrong move and a major red flag. The man will get paid & I would be shocked if he didn't go among the Top 14 picks in the draft; based on ability and my perceived value as a #1 potential star receiver I don't think it'd be a reach (in the slightest bit) for Seattle (6) or Cleveland (7) to take him in the Top 10 Overall.

All in all it doesn't surprise me that the 1 guy that defends Bryant...is a Bengals fan.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1232vcw.gif

Mecca
03-31-2010, 08:10 PM
I think athletically speaking, Bryant is a better prospect than any of the WR's last year but the guy is kind of stupid and frankly I'm not sure he's smart enough to handle NFL life and everything that goes with it.

OnTheWarpath15
03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Not a fan of Florio's work usually, but he nails it this time:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/31/dez-bryant-would-be-wise-to-quit-talking-until-after-the-draft/

Rosenthal posted an item earlier today regarding receiver Dez Bryant's recent comments to the Associated Press. Rosenthal seemed to like Bryant's bravado.

I don't.

Bryant could very well end up being a phenomenal NFL player. But if he flames out, the warning signs were present.

It started with the decision to lie to NCAA investigators regarding his relationship with Deion Sanders. And it was magnified by the report -- not rumor, as the AP now tries to describe it -- from Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports regarding multiple instances of tardiness for various activities, including games.

Bryant put his credibility firmly on the line when he responded to the report by claiming he's never been late for anything. Any team that is able to confirm Cole's report with a phone call to an Oklahoma State assistant coach, teammate, or roommate should think seriously about taking Bryant off the board, because it will mean that Bryant cannot be trusted, ever.

More recently, Bryant blew his chance at a buzz-building Pro Day by not bringing his best cleats to the event. And while he scoffs at our report that he forgot to bring cleats at all by pointing out he brought six pairs but didn't bring the best ones, does he really think that his explanation makes the situation any better?

Bryant forgot to bring the shoes he wanted to wear. The fact that he brought a bunch of other shoes makes him look even more scatterbrained and disorganized.

His response? "What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don't think it has anything to do with me playing football."

Technically, it doesn't have anything to do with playing football. But the kind of character flaw that makes a guy tell a lie whenever he thinks the truth would hurt his interests and the kind of knuckleheadedness that makes a guy show up late (allegedly) or forget to bring his best shoes for the biggest 40-yard dash of his life will manifest itself in other ways.

Plaxico Burress was constantly late for stuff. And he eventually blew a hole through his leg and landed in jail for 20 months.

Burress wasn't a criminal. But he did something criminally stupid. And Bryant is supplying the football-following world with evidence to reinforce the time-honored maxim that stupid is as stupid does.

Plenty of stupid guys can play football very well. But stupid guys can also do things that keep them from being available to play football. And it can happen because they slept too late or because they carried a loaded gun into a Manhattan night club or because of one of many other potential reasons in between.

So whoever decides to take a chance on Bryant will have to account for the possibility that he might do something to affect his ability to play football -- and they'll need to be able and willing to spend the money and time necessary to protect Bryant from himself.

Our advice to Bryant? Quit trying to explain these events. It's only making the situation worse.

Better yet, don't say anything at all until after you're drafted.

Mecca
03-31-2010, 08:27 PM
This is my opinion, I don't think Bryant is a bad person, he's just kind of dumb. He likely means well but just doesn't understand, and when you're worth millions and have that kind of brain you are just asking to be in bad positions because you don't realize what's going on.

Could he be a #1, sure, but this is a guy who's going to have to be ridden very hard by coaches to get it into his head how to handle himself. Todd Haley could probably work wonders with a guy like Bryant to be honest but he is a major risk.

Chiefnj2
04-01-2010, 07:54 AM
This is my opinion, I don't think Bryant is a bad person, he's just kind of dumb. He likely means well but just doesn't understand, and when you're worth millions and have that kind of brain you are just asking to be in bad positions because you don't realize what's going on.

Could he be a #1, sure, but this is a guy who's going to have to be ridden very hard by coaches to get it into his head how to handle himself. Todd Haley could probably work wonders with a guy like Bryant to be honest but he is a major risk.

I think Haley would be a bad coach for him. He needs a mentor relationship not a dictator. He needs more of a Singletary than a Haley. Look at Haley with Bowe. Put the fear of god in him so he went and took NFL-illegal substances to cut weight. A team is going to have to help guide/hold hands, whatever you want to call it with Dez, not turn your back or drop him to the third team, etc.

SAUTO
04-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I think Haley would be a bad coach for him. He needs a mentor relationship not a dictator. He needs more of a Singletary than a Haley. Look at Haley with Bowe. Put the fear of god in him so he went and took NFL-illegal substances to cut weight. A team is going to have to help guide/hold hands, whatever you want to call it with Dez, not turn your back or drop him to the third team, etc.

so now its haley's fault that bowe couldnt man up? come the fuck on.:shake:

Rain Man
04-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Arizona TE Rob Gronkowski (6-62, 258) -- Gronkowski ran the 40-yard dash in the high 4.6-second range and posted a vertical jump of 33.4 inches at his pro day over the weekend. He did drop a couple of passes but also showed he can snatch the ball out of the air with his massive (10.6 inches) hands and showed he has the athletic ability to develop into a fluid route runner.

Just out of curiosity, how do they measure hands? I have a ruler and want to see how I compare to a 10.6 inch hand.

KevB
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I think athletically speaking, Bryant is a better prospect than any of the WR's last year but the guy is kind of stupid and frankly I'm not sure he's smart enough to handle NFL life and everything that goes with it.

I agree with this, and I've generally been a fan of Dez. He's done and said enough things that make you shake your head that it would be awfully difficult as an owner to drop millions of your hard earned dollars in his lap.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do they measure hands? I have a ruler and want to see how I compare to a 10.6 inch hand.

spread your fingers as wide as possible

measure from the very tip of your pinkie to the end of your thumb.

that measure is inconsistent imo though because some people can spread their fingers out at different angles. If your fingers are kinda "webby" then your hands measure smaller.

The Franchise
04-02-2010, 12:57 PM
What's the average hand measurement for the NFL?

FWIW.....I have 9 inch hands.......and 10.6 looks fucking huge compared to mine.

ToxSocks
04-02-2010, 01:20 PM
What's the average hand measurement for the NFL?

FWIW.....I have 9 inch hands.......and 10.6 looks ****ing huge compared to mine.

It's not about the size of your hands, it's about the motion in the ocean.

Mecca
04-02-2010, 02:07 PM
They actually don't measure hands that way, from what I read they measure from the base of your hand to the tip of your middle finger.

The Franchise
04-02-2010, 02:10 PM
They actually don't measure hands that way, from what I read they measure from the base of your hand to the tip of your middle finger.

Dude....if that's how they do it....then Bryant has fucking HUGE hands.

Mecca
04-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Dude....if that's how they do it....then Bryant has fucking HUGE hands.

I've read pinky to thumb and base to tip so I guess it's who you believe.

If the number is really large they probably did pinky to thumb.

Rain Man
04-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I figured it was one of the two ways described, but don't know. A search includes lots of other threads where people debate between the two methods. It seems like this would be pretty standard knowledge, but I can't find a definitive answer.

My own measurements are 9 3/8" from pinkie to thumb (outstretched) and 7 5/8" from wrist to tip of middle finger. This makes me think it might be the pinkie/thumb measurement, because my hands aren't freakishly small, and I saw something saying that "small" hands are in the 9" range. It also seems more logical to measure from pinkie to thumb since that's more of a 'catching the ball' position for the hands.

ToxSocks
04-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Hrmmm....I must be doing something wrong. My Wrist to middle finger measurment is actually slightly larger than my pinkie to thumb measurement.

Rain Man
04-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Hrmmm....I must be doing something wrong. My Wrist to middle finger measurment is actually slightly larger than my pinkie to thumb measurement.

Are you spreading your hand on the pinkie to thumb measurement? I'm stretching mine as far as I can.

ToxSocks
04-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Are you spreading your hand on the pinkie to thumb measurement? I'm stretching mine as far as I can.

Yeah, and im only getting 7 3/4". But my Wrist to middle finger is like almost 8 1/4"

The Franchise
04-02-2010, 03:35 PM
My pinkie to thumb measurement is 9 1/4".

My wrist to middle finger measurement is 8".

KevB
04-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah, and im only getting 7 3/4". But my Wrist to middle finger is like almost 8 1/4"

Wow, you're weird. :evil:

jplrad
04-03-2010, 08:34 AM
He is another T.O. but without the talent and less brains. Team player? I think not!!

ChiefsCountry
04-03-2010, 12:20 PM
TO not a team player? WTF. TO is mouthy thats all, but the dude works his ass off.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2010, 02:12 PM
For golf grips it's wrist to middle finger.

milkman
04-04-2010, 01:13 PM
TO not a team player? WTF. TO is mouthy thats all, but the dude works his ass off.

The problem is that TO is devisive in the locker room, which does not equal team player.

SAUTO
04-04-2010, 01:22 PM

hes not a team player, not even close. he works his ass off for himself no one else
Posted via Mobile Device