PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Safety Eric Berry To Visit With 5 Teams

Mr. Laz
03-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Berry scheduled to visit five teams (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/30/berry-scheduled-to-visit-five-teams/)<!-- p class="post-info-author">By Frank Tadych</p -->

Posted: March 30th, 2010 | Frank Tadych

Cleaning up some unconfirmed reports out there in blogosphere, one of the draft’s highest-rated prospects, safety Eric Berry, will be busy the next two weeks.

<script>new nfl.widgets.VideoPlayer({ contentId: "09000d5d81701bef", related: "home", adSetting: "1", dartURL: "http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/nfl.special/blog/nfl-network;s1=blog;s2=nfl-network;slot=inpage;nfl=ad;tile=3;sz=640x360;ord=?", playerName: "blog_small_embedded", size: "inline", uniqid: "09000d5d81701bef"})</script><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://static.nfl.com/static/site/flash/video/inline-video-player.swf" style="" id="v09000d5d81701befswf" name="v09000d5d81701befswf" bgcolor="#000000" quality="true" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" flashvars="uniqid=v09000d5d81701befswf&contentId=09000d5d81701bef&related=home&playerName=blog_small_embedded&adSetting=1&dartURL=http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/nfl.special/blog/nfl-network;s1=blog;s2=nfl-network;slot=inpage;nfl=ad;tile=3;sz=640x360;ord=?" height="216" width="384">

Berry is scheduled to visit the Chiefs, Redskins, Eagles, Browns and Buccaneers, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. He is visiting the Chiefs today, and will meet with the Redskins on Wednesday. Berry will then meet with the Eagles on April 6, the Browns on April 7 and the Bucs on April 11, according to the source.

There have been rumblings (unconfirmed, hence that word) since the NFL Scouting Combine that Berry has graded out as high as any other defensive player in the draft. Chatting with NFL Network analyst Charles Davis, he’s buying into that type of grade for Berry, given that GMs have told him Berry projects to have the coverage skills to play some cornerback as well. That factor might help overcome the historical hesitancy for teams to draft safeties so high.

The popular opinion among football minds is that Berry could be drafted as high as No. 3 to the Bucs, and could last until the Browns at No. 7. His visits seem to reflect that thinking. The only team not in the top 10 among is scheduled visits is the Eagles (No. 24). Bucky Brooks and Pat Kirwan both have the Browns grabbing Berry at No. 7.

It’s that time of year for prospect visits, of which we’ll try to keep you updated on. That’s the latest from the NFL travel/news desk.
– Frank Tadych.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
I think he's going to be a Chief.

ModSocks
03-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Oh please
oh please
oh please
oh please

Make him a Chief

SAUTO
03-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I think he's going to be a Chief.

i will JIMP if so

The Franchise
03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Dear God.....you owe me this one.

The Bad Guy
03-30-2010, 04:02 PM
They wouldn't bring him in if they weren't interested. They know he plays safety. They met with him twice at the combine. Romeo worked his station on his pro day.

I'm starting to think he's a Chief too. Pioli is an iron-clad guy, but he's going to spill to Demitroff? Doubtful.

ModSocks
03-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Anyone think Mays will fall into the 2nd?

I know im just wishing here, but Carr-Berry-Mays-Flowers would be the bee's knees. OUr secondary would be tits.

ModSocks
03-30-2010, 04:03 PM
They wouldn't bring him in if they weren't interested. They know he plays safety. They met with him twice at the combine. Romeo worked his station on his pro day.

I'm starting to think he's a Chief too. Pioli is an iron-clad guy, but he's going to spill to Demitroff? Doubtful.

I think your mind melding with me.

Get out of my head!

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2010, 04:05 PM

I know im just wishing here, but Carr-Berry-Mays-Flowers would be the bee's knees. OUr secondary would be tits.

I don't see Mays getting into the 20's. Maybe not even the late teens. If he's there at 14, I'll be shocked if Seattle doesn't snatch him right up.

The Franchise
03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't see Mays getting into the 20's. Maybe not even the late teens. If he's there at 14, I'll be shocked if Seattle doesn't snatch him right up.

This.

Carroll is going to draft the man child if he's there at 14.

doomy3
03-30-2010, 04:06 PM
This.

Carroll is going to draft the man child if he's there at 14.

If he doesn't, that will be very telling...

DeezNutz
03-30-2010, 04:07 PM

LMAO.

SAUTO
03-30-2010, 04:08 PM

what did he actually say to dimitroff? "you know how i feel about a safety that high" that could go both ways, maybe they had talked about taking a safety high when they were with the pats and agreed it would be ok for the right guy

The Bad Guy
03-30-2010, 04:09 PM
LMAO.

I just think it's funny all the reports stating this theory that you can't take a safety in the top 5. Then that idiot Bucky Brooks says, "You can't pay a safety top 5 money".

Well last year, we made Tyson Jackson one of the highest paid defensive ends and he offers no pass rushing ability what so ever.

If they are bringing him in, they obviously have few issues with taking a safety 5th overall.

ModSocks
03-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Where did he take Merriweather?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-30-2010, 04:18 PM
If he doesn't, that will be very telling...

No it won't, Pete Carroll is a fucking retard. He'd be just as likely to draft Taylor Dayne at 14

The Franchise
03-30-2010, 04:20 PM
I would probably freak out if we drafted Berry and Mays.

ModSocks
03-30-2010, 04:27 PM

I've heard some reports that teams aren't too high on Mays because he's not very cerebral. Add in guys like Earl Thomas and Nate Allen, a few reaches here and there that we know will happen, and I think it's very possible that Mays can fall into the 2nd.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Seattle has a lot of holes. One thing we have that they need is a LT. It's not unfeasible to think that Seattle may go in another direction. For instance, if Okung goes 2, then there's a good chance Suh/McCoy slides to 6. Seattle has to jump on that. From there, they still need a LT. Bad. Trent Williams would be a steal at 14. Spiller could be sitting there, probably not, but he could be.

I won't put it on Taylor Mays if Carroll doesn't draft him. He won't make it to us at 2A. If he did, I'd love to see this place if we took 2 safeties with our first two picks. I'd probably need to go see a doctor about an erection that lasted more than 4 hours.

The Franchise
03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd love to see this place if we took 2 safeties with our first two picks. I'd probably need to go see a doctor about an erection that lasted more than 4 hours.

This place would go fucking nuts.....and I'd love every fucking minute of it.

CoMoChief
03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
SEA needs OL,WR,RB,S,CB,DE

man they've aged quick.....they need a lot of things other than maybe LB.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2010, 04:43 PM

I know im just wishing here, but Carr-Berry-Mays-Flowers would be the bee's knees. OUr secondary would be tits.:shake:
we are not using our 1st two rounds on safety

ModSocks
03-30-2010, 04:51 PM
:shake:

So you would be upset if the draft went something like:

1. Berry
2a. Mays
2b. Hughes
3. Cam Thomas
4. ILB
5.WR/KR-PR
5. T
5. QB

??

I'd be stoked.

The Bad Guy
03-30-2010, 04:54 PM

1. Berry
2a. Mays
2b. Hughes
3. Cam Thomas
4. ILB
5.WR/KR-PR
5. T
5. QB

??

I'd be stoked.

Cam Thomas will go at the end of the 2nd. Hughes might be gone by the time we pick with 2a.

I think Mays goes at the end of the first.

ModSocks
03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Meh. So im off by half a round.

Like i said, wishful thinking.

kysirsoze
03-30-2010, 05:31 PM

We may not win a bunch of games, but I would get a chubby every time an opposing team dropped back to pass.

Rausch
03-30-2010, 05:40 PM
:shake:

My fucking head would explode...

Kyle DeLexus
03-30-2010, 05:44 PM
We may not win a bunch of games, but I would get a chubby every time an opposing team dropped back to pass.

If we don't find a better option at NT and some servicable LBers to go with the S's, teams won't need to pass.

kysirsoze
03-30-2010, 05:46 PM
If we don't find a better option at NT and some servicable LBers to go with the S's, teams won't need to pass.

Yeah... hence the not winning much. If this was Madden, though, we would kick ass!!

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2010, 05:51 PM
This would rock, but let's be real. Its the Chiefs we're talking about here...
Posted via Mobile Device

spanky 52
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
This might explain why the Chief's didn't go after any safeties in FA. I'm not going to get my hopes up but it'd be nice to have a kick ass safety. When I got my son hooked on the Chiefs we had Cherry and Burruss with Ross and Lewis at the corners. Berry, Flowers, Carr and who knows who would be okay with me.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2010, 06:29 PM

1. Berry
2a. Mays
2b. Hughes
3. Cam Thomas
4. ILB
5.WR/KR-PR
5. T
5. QB

??

I'd be stoked.
not upset, but i would rather add one of these guys

WR Golden Tate
WR Arrilous Benn
WR DAMIAN WILLIAMS
NT Terrance Cody (yes i could see us taking 2 NT's and moving Ron Edwards) to backup TJ
NT BRIAN PRICE
OT Roger Roger Safford
DE Sergio Kindle
OG/OT VLADIMIR DUCASSE
ILB SEAN LEE

so many other options than another Safety/OLB :fire:

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Until I hear Eric Berry's name called when the Chiefs are on the clock, I'll believe that Dan Williams is the pick.

Mecca
03-30-2010, 06:50 PM
If anyone takes Ducassee or Lee at the top of the 2nd round they should be bitch slapped.

-King-
03-30-2010, 06:56 PM
If God were to smile on us on draft day and we got Berry and Mays, we'd have the best high-low safety tandem in the league. Don't pass over the middle or Mays will blow you up. Don't pass deep unless you want to risk a pick 6 by Berry. I don't even like Mays, but him teaming up with Berry...it would be a wrap for other teams passing games. It would bring Carr to Flowers' level and bring Flowers to Revis' level.

Mecca
03-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Someone would still complain, you know just cause.

Laz would be the first one since he despises Mays.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Until I hear Eric Berry's name called when the Chiefs are on the clock, I'll believe that Dan Williams is the pick.
I'm ok with Williams, just not at 5.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm not OK with Dan Williams. I have a lot of concerns about guys who perform well their senior year after being a chronic underachiever for 3 years prior.

Dan Williams was someone who emerged during his senior year. Yeah, he played very well, but when the dollars are in his pocket, I question if he will give maximum effort.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm not OK with Dan Williams. I have a lot of concerns about guys who perform well their senior year after being a chronic underachiever for 3 years prior.

Dan Williams was someone who emerged during his senior year. Yeah, he played very well, but when the dollars are in his pocket, I question if he will give maximum effort.so all Dan Williams' are alike? :)

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2010, 07:24 PM

Dan Williams was someone who emerged during his senior year. Yeah, he played very well, but when the dollars are in his pocket, I question if he will give maximum effort.

Well, he was a senior and should have matured as he did.

Secondly, I think he was most definitely pushed by Monte Kiffen and he responded well.

If the Chiefs choose Williams, I expect him to continue maturing under Crennel.

BossChief
03-30-2010, 07:29 PM
The thought of Berry playing over the top of Carr and Flowers on the other side is outstanding.

Titty Meat
03-30-2010, 07:40 PM
It would suck if they draft Baulaga not only because we don't need a LT but also his last name is fucking annoying.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2010, 07:58 PM
It would suck if they draft Baulaga not only because we don't need a LT but also his last name is fucking annoying.
maybe if you got the last name right it wouldn't be so annoying.

NFL Draft 2010 Player Profile: Bryan Bulaga, Iowa Offensive Tackle

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/290249/62301_nfl_combine_football_medium.jpg

Bryan Bulaga

Height: 6'6''
Weight: 310 lbs.
40 Time: 4.92

Strengths: Mauler, athletic, mean, long arms, an Iowa Hawkeye OL, tenacious, good footwork, great blocking fundamentals, work ethic.

Weaknesses: Not quite strong enough, not a great pass blocker.

Comparisons: Joe Thomas (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16701/Joe_Thomas)

Discussion: Didn't shock anyone by leaving for the NFL, but it felt like a warm Iowan hug every time you knew he was starting at tackle, so he will be missed.

Titty Meat
03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
maybe if you got the last name right it wouldn't be so annoying.

NFL Draft 2010 Player Profile: Bryan Bulaga, Iowa Offensive Tackle

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/290249/62301_nfl_combine_football_medium.jpg

Bryan Bulaga

Height: 6'6''
Weight: 310 lbs.
40 Time: 4.92

Strengths: Mauler, athletic, mean, long arms, an Iowa Hawkeye OL, tenacious, good footwork, great blocking fundamentals, work ethic.

Weaknesses: Not quite strong enough, not a great pass blocker.

Comparisons: Joe Thomas (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16701/Joe_Thomas)

Discussion: Didn't shock anyone by leaving for the NFL, but it felt like a warm Iowan hug every time you knew he was starting at tackle, so he will be missed.

Who gives a fuck how his stupid name is spelled? And he's not Joe Thomas.

BossChief
03-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Bulaga doesn't get enough respect on this board.

I can understand not wanting a left tackle in the first round but that doesn't mean Bulaga inst a great prospect.

He will be a starting left tackle for a team that does a good job protecting the quarterback and maintains a top rated running game as well. He is a well rounder guy that will always give it all and get you great results.

I just dont want any linemen in the first.

ChiefsCountry
03-30-2010, 09:15 PM
If we were drafting at #15 to 20, where Bulaga should go, I would have no problem taking him. I think he would be an All-Pro type RT. I don't see him as a stud LT which top 5 money is worth. I like him but not in the top 5.

rtmike
03-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Where did he take Merriweather?

'07 1st round #24.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 am EDT
Redskins taking Tennessee's Berry? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Redskins-taking-Tennessee-s-Berry-?urn=nfl,231308)

By Mark J. Miller (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors?author=Mark+J.+Miller)

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_rumors__46/ept_sports_rumors-679070336-1270041066_thumb.jpg?ymr3N6CD82LYU2uB (http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_rumors__46/ept_sports_rumors-679070336-1270041066.jpg?ymr3N6CD40o_.C2B)The Washington Redskins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/was/) have the fourth overall pick in the upcoming NFL draft and the current word from the Washington Post is that the team is considering selecting Tennessee All-American (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/3-4-defense/redskins-ye-eric-berry.html) free safety Eric Berry.

The ‘Skins have had a hard time creating turnovers in recent seasons. Even though the team is good defensively, it doesn't create turnovers for some reason. Last year, Washington created 17 turnovers: 11 interceptions and 7 fumble recoveries. And that was among the worst in the league, with only the Cleveland Browns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/cle/), St. Louis Rams (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/stl/), Oakland Raiders (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/oak/), and Detroit Lions (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/det/) behind them on the list.

Berry had 14 interceptions in his three collegiate seasons. You know Coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett would love to see those kinds of numbers on their team.

If he's not taken by the Redskins, it is expected the Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/kan/) will snag him with the fifth pick.

The Bad Guy
03-31-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't think Berry is a strong safety, nor do I think LaRon Landry is suited to play there.

I have a hard time believing the Redskins, who has done nothing to address the tackle problems they have, take Berry. Berry is a luxury for them.

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Washington doesn't have a LT. If Detroit goes with Suh or McCoy....then I believe that the Redskins are going to take Okung.

EDIT: That is unless they work a trade for Gaither.

ModSocks
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
As mentioned, S is a luxury pick for them. They'd be much better off and are much more likely to go LT or QB. I think they'd probably even take Suh or McCoy before they took Berry.

milkman
03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Washington doesn't have a LT. If Detroit goes with Suh or McCoy....then I believe that the Redskins are going to take Okung.

If I were Detroit, I'd consider giving up #34 for Gaither, while using #2 on Suh.

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 09:37 AM
If I were Detroit, I'd consider giving up #34 for Gaither, while using #2 on Suh.

That's true. Gaither would fill a HUGE hole on their line.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2010, 09:46 AM

They might use their second round pick for Gaither before draft, allowing them to take Berry at #4.

How perfect would that be for Gaither? He probably wouldn't even have to move.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2010, 09:48 AM
They might use their second round pick for Gaither before draft, allowing them to take Berry at #4.

That would be a double kick in the nuts for KC.

KC could use Gaither for a 2nd round pick. Better than using the #5 which is what a lot of people think will happen.

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 09:54 AM

I honestly think that if they trade for Gaither before the draft......that they'll take Clausen at #4.

Titty Meat
03-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Redskins are the gayest team ever.