PDA

View Full Version : Do you find Todd McShay pretty

LaChapelle
03-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Todd McShay backlash builds

Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2010 12:56 PM ET

Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Even more NFL scouts have a sore spot for guys who were never NFL scouts, couldn't be if they wanted to, and then attempt to critique the work of folks who became NFL scouts.

Once upon a time, Mel Kiper was the primary target of NFL scouts; Kiper has been supplanted by his on-air protege/rival at ESPN, Todd McShay. As McShay's profile increases, and as he takes on the likes of quarterback Jimmy Clausen for reasons that many league insiders believe have no merit, McShay becomes a magnet for criticism.

"Most people at my level feel he is a joke," a veteran NFL scout told us via e-mail. "People in the league respect Kiper. He is not a true scout but he does work at it. A lot of his info he gets from connections in the league, and over the years he has made quite a few. When he was younger he used to burn some bridges. He doesn't do that any more."

So what about McShay?

"McShay does not have any good connections," the source opined. "Higher-ups in the league think he is an arrogant asshole. A know-it-all. And he really knows nothing. Whatever he says about a quarterback, take it to the bank, it will be the opposite. Remember, last August he stated that Jevan Snead was better than Colt McCoy and would get drafted in the top five. He has yet to publicly retract that statement.

"One of the reasons the kid came out was because of what McShay said. The family thought McShay knew and everyone else was wrong. . . . He has problems with game management, accuracy and leadership among other things, but pretty boy Todd thought he was great because of one good game (the Cotton Bowl) a year ago. McShay is a pretty face who comes across like he knows what he is talking about. He does have good presence, but knows nothing."

A common name we've heard when it comes to McShay is Andre Woodson. McShay championed Woodson during the 2007 season. Woodson ended up being a sixth-round pick, and he's now out of the league.

The teams knew that Woodson wasn't as good as McShay was saying. The problem is that the player and his family don't have access to what the teams are thinking. The player and his family see and hear the stuff that gets played on television, and they tend to believe it when ESPN attaches to the talking head the phony, official-sounding title of "director of college scouting."

But not all draft experts fall into that category.

"The best guy in the amateur scouting/draftnik business in Mike Mayock," the source said. "Mike does more film work then any of those other guys put together. He is the only one who has access to the NFL dub center where all the college tapes go before they get distributed to the teams. He watches hours and hours of tape. You might not always agree with his evaluations but he works hard at it and you have to respect that."

The source ended with a prediction regarding Clausen's prospects.

"On draft day McShay will look like a fool because whether or not you like Clausen as a person he is very talented," the source said. "He has more training and game time in a pro system than any quarterback in the draft. His improvement from '08 to '09 was tremendous. If Notre Dame had a defense, Charlie Weis would still be there coaching. Offense was not the problem. I will agree that Clausen may have some A-hole in him but he is extremely talented. He has a strong arm and is very accurate. Plus he has played a lot in a pro system."

In our view, McShay does present well on television, where the requirement isn't to know what you're talking about but to seem like you know what you're talking about. But we've heard from more than a few people who work as NFL scouts that McShay doesn't know what he's talking about. Right or wrong, those voices will only get louder in their criticism as McShay gets more air time -- and as he becomes more pointed with criticisms of players that NFL scouts regard as erroneous.

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Todd McShay is a fucking retard.

Brock
03-31-2010, 12:22 PM
So McShay says Clausen shouldn't be a first round pick?

ToxSocks
03-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Mel Kiper's hair knows more about prospects than McGay

bowener
03-31-2010, 12:54 PM
"On draft day McShay will look like a fool because whether or not you like Clausen as a person he is very talented," the source said. "He has more training and game time in a pro system than any quarterback in the draft. His improvement from '08 to '09 was tremendous. If Notre Dame had a defense, Charlie Weis would still be there coaching. Offense was not the problem. I will agree that Clausen may have some A-hole in him but he is extremely talented. He has a strong arm and is very accurate. Plus he has played a lot in a pro system."

Does this give anybody else the feeling the Chiefs may end up with him?

MOhillbilly
03-31-2010, 12:56 PM

no.

Reaper16
03-31-2010, 01:18 PM
To be fair, Snead and Woodson were rightfully being talked about as top prospects before they each regressed in their final seasons.

Archie Bunker
03-31-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm sure Tribal got wood.

Mecca
03-31-2010, 01:30 PM
The Clausen shit is making the rounds from more people than just McShay, it seems there are people out there that really do not like him for whatever reason.

tyler360
03-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Finally someone in the media calls out this dude. He is such an arrogant know nothing.

Tribal Warfare
03-31-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm sure Tribal got wood.

a big oak motherfucker :D

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2010, 02:09 PM
I find Todd McShay to be an uninformed dumbass, with Mayock only slightly lower on the rung of dumbassery.

MOhillbilly
03-31-2010, 02:19 PM
I have never seen todd mcshay.

Archie Bunker
03-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Clausen responds.....

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/nfl-draft/jimmy-clausen-defends-his-repu.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Jimmy Clausen defends his reputation on the field and off
To hear ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay tell it, former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen lacks leadership skills and maturity. Other than that, Clausen apparently is a pretty good guy.

"I have no idea why he says that," Clausen said Wednesday in a lengthy phone interview. "People are just going to say what they want to say. But at the end of the day, I am who I am. And the people who really know who I am, know the type of person that I am - a loving, caring person [who's] a pretty good football player and a great leader on the field and off the field."

On Wednesday, McShay was covering the pro day at the University of Texas and unavailable for comment, an ESPN spokesman said. Draft analyst Mel Kiper, McShay's ESPN colleague, has praised Clausen, saying he grew into an outstanding leader at Notre Dame. And Vinny Cerrato, formerly Washington's executive vice president of football operations, recently expressed confidence Clausen could become a top NFL signal caller.

The Redskins are scheduled to conduct a private workout in South Bend, Ind., with Clausen on April 15. The former Fighting Irish standout is widely considered the second-best quarterback in the draft behind former Oklahoma star Sam Bradford.

Bradford seemed to solidify his status as the No. 1 overall player Monday at his pro day. The 2008 Heisman Trophy winner, however, did not play in a pro-style offense as Clausen did at Notre Dame.

"I think the biggest upside that I have, and one of the things that I have over all the quarterbacks in the draft, is I've played in a pro-style offense," Clausen said. "I know how to change protections. I know how to make alerts to get to a better play. Sometimes you call two, three plays in the huddle. You have to know whether [the defense] is in an over front, even front or if they're in an off front. I know how to call the Mike ID every single time. I just know my hot [reads] and my side adjusts. It's just a lot of different things that in different offenses, spread offenses, that you wouldn't see."

Even McShay has acknowledged Clausen might be the most NFL-ready quarterback in this year's draft class because of Notre Dame's offensive scheme under former coach Charlie Weis, who played a role in the development of Pro Bowl quarterback Tom Brady when Weis directed the New England Patriots' offense.

"Just being able to be taught by coach Weis, and understand how to study film, not just to go in there and watch the film but really understand it, really helped me," Clausen said. "To be able to look at the fronts, look at how the linebackers are lined up, see if they're in the bubble, or if they're in the A gap ... that's important for our team. To look at the leverage of the corners, and the depth of the safeties, and understand what they're doing is important. It was just real, real detailed film study, which translates to the game on Saturdays."

To be sure, Clausen produced at Notre Dame despite the team's overall lack of success under Weis, which led to his ouster after last season. Despite often being battered behind a line that struggled in pass protection, Clausen improved statistically each season. He declared for the draft after a junior year in which he completed 68.8 percent of his passes for 3,722 yards with 28 touchdowns and only four interceptions. He had a 161.42 passer rating.

As a junior, Clausen was elected a team captain. He also displayed his mettle in playing most of the season with toe ligaments he injured in September. He had surgery after the season and has resumed his normal workout routine. Bradford missed most of last season after suffering two shoulder injuries during a span of six weeks.

If being elected as a captain and playing through pain doesn't show what type of person he really is, "then nothing will," Clausen said. "If I was as bad of a leader and as bad of a teammate and person that [McShay's] portraying me to be out there, I don't think anybody would have voted for me as a captain.

"To be honest, I don't think my receivers would have come out to stay at my house with my family for a week last year before the past season in the summertime. There are just a lot of things he says that I really don't get. But that's just another person who really doesn't know who I am as a person."

If Bradford is selected first by the St. Louis Rams, Clausen figures to be available when the Redskins choose at fourth overall. Coach Mike Shanahan is believed to be highly interested in drafting and "raising" a quarterback.

"I only think I'm going to get better playing in the NFL, and to be coached by another great coach like Coach Shanahan will just help me progress that much more," Clausen said. "Washington uses a different system than what he used at Notre Dame. It's a West Coast system.

"At the same time it's pretty much the same stuff; just different terminology. You have to get used to the terminology. I'd have to get used to it, but at the end of the day it's pretty much the same concept. Just the verbiage is different. But like I said, I'd love to play under coach Shanahan. I think it would be a great situation for me."

By Jason Reid | March 31, 2010; 3:12 PM ET

OnTheWarpath15
03-31-2010, 03:10 PM
"I think the biggest upside that I have, and one of the things that I have over all the quarterbacks in the draft, is I've played in a pro-style offense," Clausen said. "I know how to change protections. I know how to make alerts to get to a better play. Sometimes you call two, three plays in the huddle. You have to know whether [the defense] is in an over front, even front or if they're in an off front. I know how to call the Mike ID every single time. I just know my hot [reads] and my side adjusts. It's just a lot of different things that in different offenses, spread offenses, that you wouldn't see."

Even McShay has acknowledged Clausen might be the most NFL-ready quarterback in this year's draft class because of Notre Dame's offensive scheme under former coach Charlie Weis, who played a role in the development of Pro Bowl quarterback Tom Brady when Weis directed the New England Patriots' offense.

"Just being able to be taught by coach Weis, and understand how to study film, not just to go in there and watch the film but really understand it, really helped me," Clausen said. "To be able to look at the fronts, look at how the linebackers are lined up, see if they're in the bubble, or if they're in the A gap ... that's important for our team. To look at the leverage of the corners, and the depth of the safeties, and understand what they're doing is important. It was just real, real detailed film study, which translates to the game on Saturdays."

Meanwhile, Sam Bradford is looking to the sideline to determine how to respond.

Mecca
03-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Meanwhile, Sam Bradford is looking to the sideline to determine how to respond.

BigCatDaddy will be along shortly to yell at you, well once he removes Bradfords cock from his mouth.

L.A. Chieffan
03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
How does one become a "true scout"? Go to scouting school? Get your scouting permit and then scout around with another scout over the age of 35 until you get your scouting license?

Fish
03-31-2010, 03:48 PM
This right here is the reason Clausen will be successful in the NFL. You cannot underestimate the importance of playing in a pro system like this in college.

F U Turd McShit....

Hootie
03-31-2010, 04:24 PM
I find Todd McShay to be an uninformed dumbass, with Mayock only slightly lower on the rung of dumbassery.

so what does that make you?

ROFL

DeezNutz
03-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Really, really hope the Weis connection brings Clausen to KC.

He's #1A, with Berry as #1B.

Nightfyre
03-31-2010, 04:49 PM
How does one become a "true scout"? Go to scouting school? Get your scouting permit and then scout around with another scout over the age of 35 until you get your scouting license?

You probably have to have enough sustained success to maintain a job in the industry.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
so what does that make you?

ROFL

You know Hootie, no one gives a flying fuck about your comments.

Least of all, me.