PDA

View Full Version : Can Berry Play Corner?

Archie Bunker
03-31-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d8173a2c0&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. Can Berry play corner as a pro?

Several teams at the top of the draft are debating the potential of moving Eric Berry from safety to cornerback after closely studying him on film and in workouts. His movement skills and instincts would be uncommon for the position, and scouts are intrigued by the possibility of playing him at the game's premier defensive spot early in his career.

Although Berry never played the position in college, his potential to develop into a "shutdown" corner is worthy of consideration when pondering the impact.

Elite cornerbacks are capable of eliminating an entire side of the field with their superior skill, and their penchant for timely playmaking reduces the number of options available to the quarterback in the route tree.

Additionally, the presence of a dynamic cornerback puts an offensive coordinator in a bind. Savvy play callers are forced to re-examine their game plans when facing cover men capable of snuffing out No.1 receivers. The use of a scaled-down playbook dramatically diffuses the potency of an offense.

Given the importance of keeping opponents out of the end zone, it's not a surprise that scouts and coaches are constantly on the hunt for potential game-changers at cornerback.

In Berry's case, he has some intriguing tools that make the position change an enticing possibility. The 6-foot, 211-pound prospect ran 4.47 seconds in the 40-yard dash. With that, Berry has the size and speed to matchup with swift receivers on the edge. He's smooth and fluid in his movements, and possesses the natural instincts to make plays on the deep ball.

As a former high-school standout at cornerback -- Berry was rated the No.1 cornerback by several recruiting services as a senior -- he's comfortable playing receivers in space. His ability to routinely handle the SEC's top tight ends on the perimeter also showcases his outstanding cover skills. While covering a tight end vs. a receiver in the NFL can be dramatically different based on the speed and quickness differential, Berry's unique skill set gives him a chance to succeed against the game's top wideouts.

Given the sophistication of the pro passing game, Berry's ability to cover like a corner makes him ideally suited to play strong safety. More offenses are using athletic tight ends to create mismatches on the edge, and having a player of Berry's caliber allows the defense to nullify those advantages. Furthermore, Berry appears to have the potential to line up over the top of slot receivers in a base defense and function as a nickel corner in sub-packages. This allows the coordinator to matchup with opponents in a variety of ways and grants him the opportunity to include Berry in the pass rush -- he will be close enough to the line of scrimmage to be used as an extra rusher off the edge on some blitz calls.

With the ability to impact the game as a multi-dimensional weapon, Berry has not only cemented his status as the draft's top safety, but may have also earned recognition as the top defensive prospect.

B_Ambuehl
03-31-2010, 12:26 PM
With a little bit of experience he'd easily be the 2nd best corner on this football team.

IMO that's a position we'll need to upgrade at some point if we're gonna field a solid defense.

AustinChief
03-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Earl Thomas would be a better corner than Berry.

DaWolf
03-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Just brings Julian Battle to mind.

Still, the fact that Berry is versatile probably makes him more attractive to these guys, as the philosophy they employ from New England is that they like guys who have versatility to play multiple places...

The Franchise
03-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Can he? Yes....he probably can.

Should he? No....not really.

ToxSocks
03-31-2010, 12:41 PM
This article gave me a woody. He has to be a Chief. I'd rather he be a S though. Having to deal with guys like Miller, Gates and Sheffler twice a season is all the more reason why we should draft him. If he really is this dynamic, I cant see how Pioli and Crennel are not gushing all over for him.

He fits the profile
Great physical attributes
Dynamic
Great work ethic
Position of need

What the hell else do you want in order to draft this guy? He isn't just a S, he's a difference maker all over the field.

bowener
03-31-2010, 12:50 PM
The fact that he could possibly be a good to great corner is the reason the Chiefs need to draft him at #5 to play safety. We know he can play safety, and the Chiefs need one, but the added versatility is something that could become priceless in the future if unforeseen circumstances arise. Who knows, maybe one of the CBs tears an ACL or something, or maybe the Chiefs have another chance to draft a stellar safety again in a year or two (hopefully in the late teens to late 20s) and decided that Berry will be able to slide down to the CB position with Flowers.

For now, he plays safety and should.

talastan
03-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I just love the possiblities that Berry presents Crennel with scheming the defense. Imagine the frustration of an O-Coord trying to game plan not knowing if Berry will be in the flats as a CB or deep as a Safety. :drool:

Reaper16
03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
With a little bit of experience he'd easily be the 2nd best corner on this football team.

IMO that's a position we'll need to upgrade at some point if we're gonna field a solid defense.
Why?

Hootie
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
If we plan on taking Berry at 5 to be our 2nd best CB...

Yuck.

B_Ambuehl
03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Why?

Carr is athletically limited outside IMHO. He tries hard and does a lot of things right but he really lacks the quickness needed to cover the intermediate routes. He can't stay with guys long so has to play off, which leads to him getting beat too often on intermediate stuff. When he takes that away he gets beat down the field. He was drafted as a cover 2 guy remember so he's more of a physical short area guy. I do think he could be a pretty solid nickel guy for us. He's willing to tackle and seems fairly heady.

Reaper16
03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Carr is athletically limited outside IMHO. He tries hard and does a lot of things right but he really lacks the quickness needed to cover the intermediate routes. He can't stay with guys long so has to play off, which leads to him getting beat too often on intermediate stuff. When he takes that away he gets beat down the field. He was drafted as a cover 2 guy remember so he's more of a physical short area guy. I do think he could be a pretty solid nickel guy for us. He's willing to tackle and seems fairly heady.
He wasn't drafted as a cover 2 guy necessarily. He didn't play cover 2 in college. As far as getting beat too often, well, I say hogwash. He was only marginally worse than Flowers last season. Carr might be the most underrated player on the Chiefs defense. If the team is able to upgrade from him then great. But I don't see a pressing need at all. Besides, a league-average pass rush will make Flowers & Carr look even better.

Dave Lane
03-31-2010, 04:11 PM
We need a safety way to bad to convert him but the thought of him playing "nickle" is very intriguing.

DeezNutz
03-31-2010, 04:18 PM
He wasn't drafted as a cover 2 guy necessarily. He didn't play cover 2 in college. As far as getting beat too often, well, I say hogwash. He was only marginally worse than Flowers last season. Carr might be the most underrated player on the Chiefs defense. If the team is able to upgrade from him then great. But I don't see a pressing need at all. Besides, a league-average pass rush will make Flowers & Carr look even better.

Carr, of the players who could be upgraded (in an ideal world), is the least of the team's worries.

Nightfyre
03-31-2010, 05:50 PM
We need a safety way to bad to convert him but the thought of him playing "nickle" is very intriguing.

I agree with the nickle part of this statement anyway.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
If you convert him to cornerback he loses a big part of what makes him valuable.

A safety that can cover so you don't have to go to the nickle all the time.

if you want a cornerback then draft a freakin cornerback