PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Apartment Law-type Experts

sedated
04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
So I live in the type of apartment complex that doesn't have direct-door access (you have to enter a main door to get the to door of my actual apartment).

One of my fellow tenants has a dog. Every once and a while the dog shits in the hallway or on the stairs. The owner doesn't clean it up. I call the apartment office every time its happened, and they've cleaned it up once. Eventually the turds get hard enough that someone kicks them into the corner or outside.

Is there some sort of law that prevents the management from letting the turds just sit there?

I know, I know, I live in a shitty apartment complex and need to move, but my lease isn't up for another 5 months.

The management here is non-existent. Every time I go to the office, the staff is completely new. They don't shovel the sidewalks when it snows. The "yards" are all mud with patches of occassional grass. I called to get my towel rack fixed in the bathroom, and no one came to fix it. My air conditioner has a freon leak, but they are too cheap to replace it, so every once and a while it blows hot air until they put more freon in.

Bugeater
04-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Damn, I'd call the health dept over the dog shit in the hallways. Not sure you can do a whole hell of a lot about the other stuff.

CHENZ A!
04-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I would pick the poop up with a paper towel and smear it all over your neighbors door, doorknob included.

ChiTown
04-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I would pick the poop up with a paper towel and smear it all over your neighbors door, doorknob included.

/thread over

luv
Are they managed by a company with multiple properties? Basically, is there anyone they answer to that you could go to? Is it something that the BBB would handle?

luv

Ooooo....I like this idea.

sedated
04-01-2010, 05:53 PM

I would if I knew which one it was

CHENZ A!
04-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Knock on doors and listen for barking

Ebolapox
04-01-2010, 05:56 PM

just do it to all your neighbors, just in case. :evil:

CHENZ A!
04-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Honestly though even though it is a common area, being that it is inside, it could be considered a health risk. Management is responsible for maintaining that area. I'd call and tell them that if they won't do anything to try and fix it then you'll do something yourself. Also, management should have record of everyone in your building that owns a pet so you could just ask them whose it is so you can go "talk" to that person.

sedated
04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Honestly though even though it is a common area, being that it is inside, it could be considered a health risk. Management is responsible for maintaining that area. I'd call and tell them that if they won't do anything to try and fix it then you'll do something yourself. Also, management should have record of everyone in your building that owns a pet so you could just ask them whose it is so you can go "talk" to that person.

yeah, management here is clueless. the one time they cleaned that shit up, they put notes on everyone's doors, "don't let your dog shit in the hall". If they really cared to stop it, I'm sure they would have contacted the assholes who have dogs.

and even if I did want to approach someone about it, they wouldn't understand me; no one here speaks English, only Spanish.

god damn I can't wait to get out of here. the only positives are that the place is full of amateur drug dealers and I can play loud music as much as I want.

BWillie
04-01-2010, 06:09 PM
So I live in the type of apartment complex that doesn't have direct-door access (you have to enter a main door to get the to door of my actual apartment).

One of my fellow tenants has a dog. Every once and a while the dog shits in the hallway or on the stairs. The owner doesn't clean it up. I call the apartment office every time its happened, and they've cleaned it up once. Eventually the turds get hard enough that someone kicks them into the corner or outside.

Is there some sort of law that prevents the management from letting the turds just sit there?

I know, I know, I live in a shitty apartment complex and need to move, but my lease isn't up for another 5 months.

The management here is non-existent. Every time I go to the office, the staff is completely new. They don't shovel the sidewalks when it snows. The "yards" are all mud with patches of occassional grass. I called to get my towel rack fixed in the bathroom, and no one came to fix it. My air conditioner has a freon leak, but they are too cheap to replace it, so every once and a while it blows hot air until they put more freon in.

You might want to bring up that it is illegal to keep refilling freon if they know it has a leak in it. It is not up to EPA standards. I think there is a certain amount of freon that is not allowed to leak, and it sounds like alot of it is leaking. I don't know exactly, but make something up threatening them. Good luck.

doomy3
04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
You should file a complaint with the MREC (Missouri Real Estate Commission). You have several complaints that would get the property owner in some hot water. In a leasehold estate, they have certain obligations for maintenance, and they're definitely not holding up their end of the bargain.

CosmicPal
04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Put an ad out in Craigslist for someone to sublease the rest of your lease agreement and get out. No need to wait 5 months.

luv
04-01-2010, 06:15 PM
There's a legal line on a local radio station's website down here where people can go and get general answers to questions. I'll try it with your situation and see if I get any answers.

Chiefnj2
04-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Every time I go to the office, the staff is completely new. They don't shovel the sidewalks when it snows. The "yards" are all mud with patches of occassional grass. .

You want out on the lease? Tell them your back is sore from that fall you took on their icy pathway this winter.

KCChiefsMan
04-01-2010, 08:03 PM
damn, that sucks. I can understand not wanting to start a war with your neighbor who does this. But me, I would confront the guy in a very harsh and threatening manner.

maybe call the health department, but that may not be their jurisdiction. Definitely go to apartmentratings.com and explain your experience.

jspchief
04-01-2010, 08:13 PM
why does Chiefsplanet fail so much today?

Put out a bowl of anti-freeze.

sedated
04-01-2010, 08:14 PM
damn, that sucks. I can understand not wanting to start a war with your neighbor who does this. But me, I would confront the guy in a very harsh and threatening manner.

maybe call the health department, but that may not be their jurisdiction. Definitely go to apartmentratings.com and explain your experience.

I've left some reviews on-line, but all the other ones are bad too. The last one I left a review, they have percentage of people that approve/suggest living at this complex, and it was at 0%. So I doubt it had much effect.

I've sent some emails to various realtor license and health department divisions, hopefully I hear something back.

If I confronted anyone, chances are it would be a household full of illegal mexican aliens who don't speak english. That demographic makes up 95% of the tenants here, no joke. The only non-hispanic person I've seen here is an elderly white woman shut-in, who I would guess is on a thousand medications.

sedated
04-01-2010, 08:14 PM
why does Chiefsplanet fail so much today?

Put out a bowl of anti-freeze.

I expected that 3 times in the first 4 posts.

Iowanian
04-01-2010, 08:17 PM
This sounds like a job for....HAMAS JENKINS....COMEOOOOOOOOOON DOWN

luv
04-01-2010, 08:23 PM
The only non-hispanic person I've seen here is an elderly white woman shut-in, who I would guess is on a thousand medications.

Anything good? :hmmm:

DenverChief
04-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Overland Park should have a Housing Authority you can file a complaint with. If not check Johnson County or with the State....for the repairs and upkeep...as far as the poo goes catch it on video and show it to the cops...citation city

KCChiefsMan
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Seriously though,

you should take a dump on his doorstep. They'll never know it was you and it will make for sweet revenge. Just poop in your toilet and get a fish scooper and use that to put your shit on his doorstep. Do it like once or twice a week too until the guy stops allowing his dog to shit everywhere.

Ralphy Boy
04-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Call the health department. Landlords hate them, myself included. You probably don't want to let them into your apartment, unless you want the owner to know its you, but you could let them into the building and tell them you want to remain anonymous.

googlegoogle
04-01-2010, 10:36 PM
You should file a complaint with the MREC (Missouri Real Estate Commission). You have several complaints that would get the property owner in some hot water. In a leasehold estate, they have certain obligations for maintenance, and they're definitely not holding up their end of the bargain.

sounds like a plan.

obviously contacting the owner is the best solution.

Bugeater
04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
sounds like a plan.

obviously contacting the owner is the best solution.
lol, the owner probably lives six states away or even in another country and could care less wtf is going on there.

doomy3
04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
lol, the owner probably lives six states away or even in another country and could care less wtf is going on there.

Doesn't matter though. If you make a complaint to the real estate commission, the are required by law to investigate it. There will most definitely be changes when that happens, whether that be at the ownership level or the property management level.

Bugeater
04-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Doesn't matter though. If you make a complaint to the real estate commission, the are required by law to investigate it. There will most definitely be changes when that happens, whether that be at the ownership level or the property management level.
It still doesn't mean that there will be immediate results, there was an issue with an apt complex here quite a few years ago where the owner lived in Israel or some shit and was letting the place go to hell. The city pursued him for years and eventually had to condemn the place and evict all of the residents.

blaise
04-02-2010, 07:13 AM

That's exactly what I thought.

blaise
04-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Take some digital photos of it in case you want to break your lease.

Delano
04-02-2010, 07:20 AM

LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

stumppy
04-02-2010, 08:08 AM

Nothing makes HAMAS smile

Like a nice warm steaming pile