PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs To Workout Alabama LB McClain

Hammock Parties
04-01-2010, 07:01 PM
http://profootball.scout.com/2/958974.html

Scout.com's NFL Draft Analyst Chris Steuber has learned that the Kansas City Chiefs will workout one of this year's top prospects next week, Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain. Find out the details inside.

<style type="text/css"><!-- .style11 {color: #000000} .style7 {font-size: x-small; font-weight: bold; } .style8 {font-size: x-small; color: #808080; } --> </style> Two weeks ago, Scout.com disclosed that Alabama (http://alabama.scout.com/) linebacker Rolando McClain (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4410336) had dinner with representatives from the Kansas City Chiefs (http://kan.scout.com/) on the night before his Pro Day workout. And while its been widely publicized that McClain visited the Miami Dolphins (http://mia.scout.com/) earlier this week and will visit the New York Giants (http://nyg.scout.com/), Atlanta Falcons (http://atl.scout.com/) and Jacksonville Jaguars (http://jac.scout.com/) in the weeks to come, Scout.com has learned that the Chiefs will conduct a private workout with McClain in Tuscaloosa on April 10th.

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="5" width="200"> <tbody><tr> <td>http://media.scout.com/media/image/79/795348.jpg
McClain revealed he has Crohn's disease, but he should still be a top 15 pick in the draft.
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> McClain attended the NFL Scouting Combine in February, but he didn’t workout and decided to wait until Alabama’s Pro Day to show scouts his athleticism. At his Pro Day on March 10th, McClain performed well and ran a 4.68 in the 40, recorded a 35-inch vertical and a 9-foot-1-inch broad jump. During positional drills, McClain started out well, but as the workout progressed he appeared to get fatigued.

There was a reason behind McClain’s apparent fatigue; he revealed that he’s been suffering from Crohn’s disease for the past seven years. When the news of McClain’s illness came to light, it was a huge topic throughout the NFL universe. And while it’s a condition that’s considered to be serious because there is no cure, McClain has dealt with it and has performed at an elite level.

A three-year starter at Alabama, McClain emerged as the premier linebacker in the country in 2009 after he recorded 105 tackles, 14.5 for a loss, four sacks and two interceptions. At 6-foot-4, 249 pounds, McClain has the size/speed combination that scouts salivate over and the game that will ultimately make him an All-Pro.

McClain is currently the No. 1 rated middle linebacker listed on Scout.com (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&yr=2010)’s 2010 NFL Draft Rankings (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&yr=2010).

Mr. Laz
04-01-2010, 07:47 PM
If he falls to the 2nd round the Chiefs will probably grab him.

Gadzooks
04-01-2010, 08:10 PM
If he falls to the 2nd round the Chiefs will probably grab him.

I could easily see that happening. ILBs tend to drop.
They have low positional value and unless you're a Willis or Seau, chances are, you're an afterthought.

Mr. Laz
04-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I could easily see that happening. ILBs tend to drop.
They have low positional value and unless you're a Willis or Seau, chances are, you're an afterthought.
the position, the lack of speed, the chronic illness

i would fully expect any GM to do a double take and pass on him in the 1st round if they have another real option they like.

notorious
04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
The guy is a playmaker. Maybe it was due to being surrounded by studs, but he was a baller in college.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Last year Laurinaitis and Maualuga fell to the 2nd, didn't they?

Is this guy a better prospect than either?

I'd love to get this guy with one of our 2nds. We need an ILB really bad...I don't think people realize how badly, it's almost never talked about as a need around here.

Gadzooks
04-01-2010, 08:33 PM
the position, the lack of speed, the chronic illness

i would fully expect any GM to do a double take and pass on him in the 1st round if they have another real option they like.

Doesn't Crohn's disease just mean it hurts when you poop?

ChiefsCountry
04-01-2010, 08:36 PM

About the same.

HemiEd
04-01-2010, 08:48 PM

I'd love to get this guy with one of our 2nds. We need an ILB really bad...I don't think people realize how badly, it's almost never talked about as a need around here.

I have been on the LBer wagon the whole offseason. The 3-4 is geared to let your LBers play, and ours kind of suck. I wouldn't be upset if they spent 3 picks on the position.

Tbone8801
04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
man if that disease affected him on his pro day, imagine how nfl sundays could affect him! I would be concerned, feel bad for him but that's a risky pick at #5.

CaliforniaChief
04-01-2010, 09:32 PM
At first I thought there was no way he would be available at #36...but the Maualuga illustration is a good one. The thing about McClain is his intelligence and leadership...that have me thinking he won't make it that far down. But hey, I'd LOVE to have this guy.

BossChief
04-01-2010, 10:06 PM
When this guy gets to the chalkboard, he is gonna knock the socks off ya. He may not be Willis fast (at all), but he is fast enough to get to the ball because of his preparation, which is off the charts. 4.65-4.7 isnt too bad for a guy his size. Its just average, not elite. But this kid will be at home watching game tape, picking apart his opponents when other players are out having fun. This kid will relentlessly learn the defense in and out and will help player development of players around him on defense. He could help DJ realize his potential because of his nature.

If we trade back, expect him to be a player we might target because we wont want him to fall to denver.

I wouldnt take him at 5 anymore, with all the question marks, but if we traded down and got him I would be excited for the pick.

Would he come in and get 12 sacks? no

Would he be pointing out keys to his fellow defenders pre snap during games after seeing a "tell"...yes and with consistency. His teammates rave about him and how much he helped them, he is gonna be special in ways that go beyond his own play on the field and that is where his additional value comes in.

Would he be a leader for our defense going forward that is a (pardon the mantra) "right 53" type of football player? yes

just please not at 5

Quarterback or safety, please!

Gadzooks
04-01-2010, 10:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn's_disease
Ouchie wa wa.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Does anyone really think Teddy Bruschi ran under a 4.6?

notorious
04-01-2010, 10:21 PM

I think a Bruschi is around 3.2

Drumroll, silence, followed by a wet fart..........

BossChief
04-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Bruschi was a MONSTER in college.

ChiefsCountry
04-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Bruschi was a DE in college.

Mecca
04-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Bruschi was also like a 3rd round pick, those numbers matter on draft day.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I might take Washington before McClain at this point.

Quesadilla Joe
04-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Back the fuck off Peeholey

Mr. Laz
04-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Back the fuck off Peeholey
you better grab him with your 1st rounder because he won't be there in the 2nd round.

Reach or Miss out ....... your choice :p

MahiMike
04-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm still hoping we trade down to get both Alabama buys - McClain and Cody.

The Franchise
04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I'd take a shot on him in the 2nd round.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I'd take a shot on him in the 2nd round.
yep ... we could have a tough decision to make a 2a.

alot of quality players with 1st round grades could still be there.

The Franchise
04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
yep ... we could have a tough decision to make a 2a.

alot of quality players with 1st round grades could still be there.

Thank God we have 2 picks in that round. Honestly....if we can somehow come out of the first 2 rounds with 3 of the following 4 positions filled....I'll be ecstatic.

S
ILB
OLB
WR

You'll notice that NT isn't up there. I believe that we can grab a NT like Troup in the 3rd-4th round range and be perfectly fine.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Thank God we have 2 picks in that round. Honestly....if we can somehow come out of the first 2 rounds with 3 of the following 4 positions filled....I'll be ecstatic.

S
ILB
OLB
WR

You'll notice that NT isn't up there. I believe that we can grab a NT like Troup in the 3rd-4th round range and be perfectly fine.
1. Eric Berry
2. Rolando McClain
3. Jerry Hughes

:D :thumb:

philfree
04-02-2010, 10:00 AM

S
ILB
OLB
WR

Didn't we sign a FA NT from Cleveland? Yeh I know we still need an upgrade but have we upgraded slightly all ready at NT?

PhilFree:arrow:

Mr. Laz
04-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Didn't we sign a FA NT from Cleveland? Yeh I know we still need an upgrade but have we upgraded slightly all ready at NT?

PhilFree:arrow:
NT Shaun Smith

but i really don't think we want to rely on him and i would prefer that Ron edwards not be a NT at all. We need to get a "real" nose tackle in this draft.

good news is that there are several in this draft

The Franchise
04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
1. Eric Berry
2. Rolando McClain
3. Jerry Hughes

:D :thumb:

As awesome as that would be....I don't see Hughes lasting that long.

CoMoChief
04-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I'd rather have Cody......was was an absolute MONSTER against the run.

Dave Lane
04-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Seriously Crohns = No way in fucking hell I draft the guy. Apparently no one on here has ever know anyone with Crohns disease. I have know 2 people and there are days on end they can't even leave the house. Its a horrible disease. I think thats what Pam is going to chemotherapy for. Its as devastating a disease as an athlete can have. Worse by far than cancer since there is no cure or even treatment that is 100% effective.

spanky 52
04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Seriously Crohns = No way in ****ing hell I draft the guy. Apparently no one on here has ever know anyone with Crohns disease. I have know 2 people and there are days on end they can't even leave the house. Its a horrible disease. I think thats what Pam is going to chemotherapy for. Its as devastating a disease as an athlete can have. Worse by far than cancer since there is no cure or even treatment that is 100% effective.

Dave Lane is right about this. My sister has it and literally dreads the thought of leaving the house most of the time. Granted McClain is still young but that's proabably worse because I think it hits most people later in life. It's something a team will really have to look at. Gotta think he won't go in the top ten, maybe top 15.

Dave Lane
04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Here's one of Pams posts:

In addition to the hair loss and tooth decay from either the constant puking or the chemo I got blindsided with this today. Additionally, the flare up pain I get in my knees, elbows, wrists and legs is just symptoms of Crohn's related arthritis.

went to my GI doc today he agreed that I was in distress and planned to speed up the time between chemo. Was supposed to get an infusion tomorrow instead of waiting 2 more weeks. Went to the infusion floor to find out that No I won' tbe getting the infusion, but instead a TB test as I have been exposed (the last time I went for the infusion) So IF I am not positive ( the guy that exposed us is) then I get my Chemo Monday.

Mecca
04-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Supposedly the Crohn's isn't expected to hurt his draft stock, if that's true I wonder what the NFL is thinking.

Dave Lane
04-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Dave Lane is right about this. My sister has it and literally dreads the thought of leaving the house most of the time. Granted McClain is still young but that's proabably worse because I think it hits most people later in life. It's something a team will really have to look at. Gotta think he won't go in the top ten, maybe top 15.

He's had it for years and its getting worse. He would be off my board completely not even in the 3rd.

BossChief
04-02-2010, 07:45 PM
If it was as bad as those cases, he would have missed games by now one would think.

I think he will fall to the mid 20s, but this kid is gonna knock it out of the park when he goes up on the chalkboard for teams and I think that keeps him in the first.

KCBOSS1
04-02-2010, 07:46 PM
It can be a very serious and dibilitating disease.

Dave Lane
04-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Supposedly the Crohn's isn't expected to hurt his draft stock, if that's true I wonder what the NFL is thinking.

Then they are 100x dumber than Voyager on his worst day in history. The guy could completely collapse and be forced to leave football at any time. It shows up more (the flare ups) with stress so he could miss playoff games, Superbowl etc. No way I take him without a major physical and a Crohns expert telling me it is extremely mild and he can last 3-5 years before it becomes a major issue because it will its just when not if.

Quesadilla Joe
04-03-2010, 05:41 AM
It can be a very serious and dibilitating disease.
So can Type 1 Diabetes and the Bears still traded two first round picks, a starting QB, and a 3rd rounder for Cutler.

Icon
04-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Drafting McClain at #5 would be worse than drafting Tyson Jackson at #3 and that was epically stupid. McClain is over-rated. He's not very explosive, tackles too high and he doesn't play hard all the time. There are a couple of good you tube videos of McClain illustrating these problems.

jjnunley
04-03-2010, 02:48 PM
#5 S Eric Berry
#36 OLB Jerry Hughes
#51 NT Linval Joseph
#68 WR Andre Roberts
#102 OT Jason Fox
#136 TE Ed Dickson
#142 CB Myron Lewis
#144 ILB Donald Butler

Mr. Laz
04-03-2010, 06:21 PM
So can Type 1 Diabetes and the Bears still traded two first round picks, a starting QB, and a 3rd rounder for Cutler.
even type 1 diabetes can be control pretty reliably

you eat right
you take your shots
you monitor

you're good

crohn's isn't nearly as predictable ... you can do everything exactly right and still have a serious episode.

Mr. Laz
04-03-2010, 06:23 PM
#5 S Eric Berry
#36 OLB Jerry Hughes
#51 NT Linval Joseph
#68 WR Andre Roberts
#102 OT Jason Fox
#136 TE Ed Dickson
#142 CB Myron Lewis
#144 ILB Donald Butler
not bad