PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Spinoff: What is the secret for making FRIED rice?

Fat Elvis
04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I can make rice just fine. Fried rice, on the other hand, just doesn't seem to work in our household. I would love to make great fried rice at home. I could eat that all day long.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Don't you people have google?

RJ
04-01-2010, 07:13 PM
You make the rice a day ahead and then refrigerate. From there you just need a skillet, peanut oil, eggs and whatever you like in your rice. Sometimes I make fried rice as a conduit for leftovers.

The key is cold rice. From there, use whatever recipe looks good to you.

Gonzo
Don't you people have Topeka?

Fyp
Posted via Mobile Device

CosmicPal

It's Topeka now.

Gonzo
04-01-2010, 07:14 PM
It's Topeka now.

:D

Too late
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
04-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Oh, and what do you mean, "you people?"
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
04-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Once I tried this recipe I've never made rice any other way.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/ricefried/r/basicfriedrice.htm

I think the key is to use cold cooked rice. I boil my rice and refrigerate it the night before I fry it.

To the above recipe I shred one carrot with a vegetable peeler. I also add frozen peas just at the end.

Gonzo
04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
So if you don't refrigerate, what happens? Does it get soggy? I'm a culinary badass but never really make any rice, (except instant).
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
You make the rice a day ahead and then refrigerate. From there you just need a skillet, peanut oil, eggs and whatever you like in your rice. Sometimes I make fried rice as a conduit for leftovers.

THIS on the cold rice.

Also I use a 50/50 mixture of white and brown rice. They have to be cooked separately since the brown rice takes longer to cook.

I also use sesame oil and soy sauce to season mine.

cdcox
04-01-2010, 07:25 PM
So if you don't refrigerate, what happens? Does it get soggy? I'm a culinary badass but never really make any rice, (except instant).
Posted via Mobile Device

The refigeration kind of firms up the texture so that fries nicely. The starch kind of re-crystallizes during the refrigeration.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Once I tried this recipe I've never made rice any other way.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/ricefried/r/basicfriedrice.htm

I think the key is to use cold cooked rice. I boil my rice and refrigerate it the night before I fry it.

To the above recipe I shred one carrot with a vegetable peeler. I also add frozen peas just at the end.

I've never made my own fried rice. I've bookmarked this and I'm going to try it out. I'm going to throw some peanut sauce in it and see if that's any good.

FAX
04-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Just go to one of those Japanese steak houses where the ninja chef chops the living hell out of everything and throws shrimp tails into the top of his hat like a complete idiot.

Those wacky bastards make some real fine fried rices. You can watch them and just do what they do. Except for the hat trick. Don't try that because you'll be finding shrimp tails under your furniture for months.

FAX

mlyonsd
04-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I've never made my own fried rice. I've bookmarked this and I'm going to try it out. I'm going to throw some peanut sauce in it and see if that's any good.

Peanut sauce is an awesome idea. Not sure how adding peanut sauce during the frying stage would work. I think added after would be good though. The only way I've ever used it was with grilled chicken with mandarin oranges on a spinach salad....added after the fact. So I'm no peanut sauce expert.

I've just used this recipe to go along with brocolli beef, sesame chicken, or sweet and sour pork. We also sometimes use fried rice leftover with a store bought egg roll as a quick meal.

One thing I did figure out after making this fried rice recipe....green onions are an essential in the kitchen. I have them on hand for tons of things. They're great if added to hash browns towards the end. Omlets too.

One last thing, if you cook chinese a lot invest in a wok. I bought one at Target for about $25 and use it at least twice a month.

BWillie
04-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I love chicken fried rice. I would love to know. I probably go to one of those chinese buffets about once a week.

RJ
04-01-2010, 07:53 PM
One last thing, if you cook chinese a lot invest in a wok. I bought one at Target for about $25 and use it at least twice a month.

For anyone thinking about a wok, I took FMB's advice and bought a carbon steel model. As mlyonsd said, about $25. So far I like it better than the non-stick type I had before.

KCChiefsMan
04-01-2010, 07:55 PM

ok, I've also attempted fried rice with my shit rice that I make.

cold rice now makes so much sense.

mlyonsd
04-01-2010, 08:05 PM
For anyone thinking about a wok, I took FMB's advice and bought a carbon steel model. As mlyonsd said, about $25. So far I like it better than the non-stick type I had before.

I was wondering if it was just my imagination about using cold rice so I'm glad someone else thinks the same thing.

About the wok. If you buy a non-stick don't get all stuck up about how it looks or works the first few times. It takes a while to get seasoned. Pay attention on the directions for cleaning. Never scrub it clean.

cdcox
04-01-2010, 08:17 PM

I've had mine for 26 years. Just keeps getting better with time.

Fat Elvis
04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
The cold rice thing makes a lot of sense. I've never thought of that before. I will have to try that out.

Thanks

Fat E

MoreLemonPledge
04-01-2010, 09:18 PM
http://www.funnycatpix.com/_pics/frying_pan_cat.jpg

sedated
04-01-2010, 09:19 PM
So if you don't refrigerate, what happens? Does it get soggy?

starch overload.

I don't think the oil matters as much, as long as it has a high smoke temp.