PDA

View Full Version : Evaluators fear bust potential of Pierre-Paul, Taylor Mays

Tribal Warfare
04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Evaluators fear bust potential of Pierre-Paul, Mays (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/01/evaluators-fear-bust-potential-of-pierre-paul-mays)

Evaluators in attendance at Jason Pierre-Paul's workout at South Florida expressed excitement about the raw talent, citing his foot quickness, athletic ability and balance.

"He's the best defensive end in the draft," said one highly placed evaluator in position to strike.

The long-limbed Pierre-Paul was commended for being the first player in line for drills, picking up on instructions and working well through the bags during drills. Evaluators were generally excited about his workout.

PFW polled nearly a third of the league to get a pulse on where Pierre-Paul can be expected to be drafted, and the overwhelming sentiment was that he would fit into the top 15, with seven teams expecting Pierre-Paul to be drafted very early.

That is not to say that he is without sharp critics, however, as a handful of others not only disliked Pierre-Paul's athletic ability, they acknowledged they would not draft him in the first two rounds — the first four rounds, for two of them — and feared he would be a bust.

"He won't be ready," one GM said. "He will be outmanned. He will be lost. He has no football experience and only (13) games of football against a lower level of Division I football (competition). It's not like he lined up against Alabama and Georgia. He is not a pass rusher. He is late off the ball. He does not transition easily. I don't like tall, thin-legged guys that cannot convert speed into power."

Another top executive said: "Why take a chance on reaches in the first round that may never perform? It blows my mind how anyone could interview or put on the film and say, 'Wow.' If there is something we have learned through the years, it is that rushing the passer is not an easy art to teach."

"I know you got issues with a bunch of things non-football-related," a scout said. "I think everyone understands he is a rep player (needing a lot of repetitions). He did not get to school until the week before the season started, so he did not start the first three weeks, when they were not playing any big opponents (Wofford, Western Kentucky and Charleston Southern)."

Well represented at the workout were the New York Giants and the Cincinnati Bengals, with head coach Tom Coughlin and Marvin Lewis both in attendance, increasing speculation in league circles that Osi Umenyiora could be shipped out of town before the end of draft weekend.

Mays losing momentum in draft discussions

Debate continues to swirl about the top of the board at the safety class. Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are closely positioned at the top of most, with the gap being much closer than perception may be, and some NFL evaluators even preferring Thomas to Berry.

A number of other safety prospects have warranted discussion in the first round, with USC's Taylor Mays still fully expected to fit, and players such as Georgia Tech's Morgan Burnett rising off draft boards after an impressive pro-day performance. South Florida's Nate Allen has also received late first- and early second-round grades from evaluators during the course of the fall season.

If Berry and Thomas are selected in the top 12 as anticipated, some executives believe as many as four safeties could fit into the first round the same way they did in 2007, when LaRon Landry (sixth overall), Michael Griffin (19), Reggie Nelson (21) and Brandon Meriweather (24) all landed.

Three is more likely, with Mays fully expected to land somewhere in the first. Physically, he compares to Landry, and his measurables suggest he should be a top-10 pick. The reality is that he fielded a great deal of third- and even fourth-round grades from NFL evaluators this season and has huge bust potential.

"(The big guy) can't move laterally," one very well-trained set of eyes said. "When you see him in man coverage, receivers run right by him. With the way the game is played today, I have no idea where you play him."

Some teams have discussed the idea of projecting him to weak-side linebacker but question whether he has the toughness to play in the box. Others look at the way LaRon Landry performed for the Redskins this season and are only more concerned.

"Landry did not play very well (last) year," a veteran evaluator said. "He kept going for the home-run hit and missing. The spread between his great plays and his bad plays was huge."

The same could be said for Mays. He is big, fast in a straight line, and can create thunder collisions when he has a clean shot. However, the traits that are necessary to survive on the back end in the NFL — cover skills, instincts and secure tackling — are all far too inconsistent with Mays. Questions about his maturity level only compound a high bust factor.

Burnett's football intelligence has been questioned and is expected to keep him out of the first round, despite his clocking in the 4.4s at his pro day, working out better than expected, and some evaluators not seeing a lot of difference between him and Thomas.

Allen disappointed evaluators when he performed agility drills at South Florida's workout but declined to perform the 40-yard dash after having failed to work out at the Combine. His stock also appears to be on the slide.

"Too many plays land at his shoe tops," one evaluator said. "He is not a difference maker. He does not show up consistently in coverage or against the run."

Another evaluator said: "He is a fire chief, not a fireman. He is always looking for everyone else to put out the fire so he does not have to get involved. He made a couple hits in four games, but they were all lined up for him, and they were tackles he had to make."

Mecca
04-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Questioning Mays maturity level? WTF?

Did they really just make that up or something?

Hammock Parties
04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
I bet Mays ends up as a Cover 2 OLB like Thomas Davis.

KCrockaholic
04-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Pierre-Paul is my bust for this class. That guy won't be anything. Just another Gholston IMO. Last year I hated Heyward-Bey. He was my bust player. I don't hate Pierre-Paul to the extent of Heyward-Bey but they will be categorized as a bust 4 years from now.

KCrockaholic
04-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I bet Mays ends up as a Cover 2 OLB like Thomas Davis.

Pretty much. I think whatever team drafts him, should do so as a Safety. But if that doesn't work out, LB is his only choice.

Mecca
04-02-2010, 12:18 AM
It depends who takes him, Pierre Paul does have a ton of upside but he needs a staff that understands how to develop him.

BossChief
04-02-2010, 02:36 AM
JPP = Michael Johnson that got drafted in the third round last year by the Bengals but with less experience.

I cant see the difference.

I agree that he has some raw tools and can become a good player if developed correctly, but he is the player most likely to bust imho of the first round talents.

Im still on the fence about Mays, but I dont think he is much more than a Pollard with speed.

Fritz88
04-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Mays a possible bust!!!? Do they really get paid for writing this?

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-02-2010, 06:41 AM
We get Berry with #5 and Mays with 2A and we're set.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2010, 09:10 AM
"(The big guy) can't move laterally," one very well-trained set of eyes said. "When you see him in man coverage, receivers run right by him. With the way the game is played today, I have no idea where you play him."

Some teams have discussed the idea of projecting him to weak-side linebacker but question whether he has the toughness to play in the box. Others look at the way LaRon Landry performed for the Redskins this season and are only more concerned.*cough,cough*

CoMoChief
04-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I bet Mays is the shit in Madden 2011.

And you all know the saying...if you're good in Madden, you most definately kick ass in the NFL.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Questioning Mays maturity level? WTF?

Did they really just make that up or something?

Fuck. That's great. Maybe he'll slide to our 2A.

ToxSocks
04-02-2010, 12:22 PM
****. That's great. Maybe he'll slide to our 2A.

Say we draft Berry, And then both McClain and Mays fall to our 2a, who do you take?

Mr. Flopnuts
04-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Im still on the fence about Mays, but I dont think he is much more than a Pollard with speed.

For all the times we agree on these things, here is a time we don't. I still think Mays will be the best safety in this class, and I think he could redefine the safety position.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Say we draft Berry, And then both McClain and Mays fall to our 2a, who do you take?

I'd take Mays in a heartbeat. He's a once in a lifetime prospect AFAIC. I've been very consistent on this for the last year. Mays has slid for everyone, but not me. I still think he'll be better than Berry.

B_Ambuehl
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't really even see the upside in Pierre-Paul. He's just too long and leggy. You can find UDFAs with as much pass rushing potential. He should make a nice pick for Jacksonville though they draft guys like that every year that don't pan out. I'm surprised Dunlap wasn't on that list as well.

The Franchise
04-02-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't really even see the upside in Pierre-Paul. He's just too long and leggy. You can find UDFAs with as much pass rushing potential. He should make a nice pick for Jacksonville though they draft guys like that every year that don't pan out. I'm surprised Dunlap wasn't on that list as well.

I don't see Pierre-Paul going to Jacksonville.

B_Ambuehl
04-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I know. My point was they waste picks every year on guys like that.

Blick
04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I completely agree with the evaluators that question Mays' ability. I don't know how you can look at him and see a good football player.

DaKCMan AP
04-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I'd take Mays in a heartbeat. He's a once in a lifetime prospect AFAIC. I've been very consistent on this for the last year. Mays has slid for everyone, but not me. I still think he'll be better than Berry.

IMO, Mays is an elite athlete who plays football. Berry is an elite football player who is an athlete. Give me Berry, please.

Mecca
04-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I will point this out..

Berry has elite ball skills and when Tennessee got Kiffin went went cover 2...his INT numbers dropped hugely, then people wonder why Mays got no picks.

BossChief
04-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I will point this out..

Berry has elite ball skills and when Tennessee got Kiffin went went cover 2...his INT numbers dropped hugely, then people wonder why Mays got no picks.
its not the picks, its the bad angles and horrible change of direct are things that cant really be coached, its like accuracy to a quarterback and its why he gets comparisons to players like Pollard and Roy Williams.. I fully agree that the kid is very coachable and the interception things doesn't bother me TBH. The change of direction thing is gonna get him caught with his pants down a lot in the NFL and I think its a big reason he was played at USC the way he was...to protect his liability and enhance his strengths.

I think he could easily fall to the second because not every team can use him.

He has some elite talents that if used properly can help him excel, but the teams that can utilize his talents arent a very long list. When he comes to hit you, you know hes coming and you will feel the footsteps, when you are down on the goaline, this kid will give you a tatoo like no other. That isnt common and he will likely be the hardest hitting safety in the NFL. But he will get beat in coverage a lot IMHO.

The question about who do you take out of either him or McClain is an interesting one and one that could be a literal possibility when the time comes. I think in that scenario, we would take the guy that is a "right 53" type guy in McClain but I wouldn't be surprised if both were on the board and we took someone else TBH. Both are big bust potential picks for different reasons and the TJ pick told me that they arent gonna be taking too big of risks with our high picks.