PDA

View Full Version : Football Pollard signs tender, wants long-term deal

T-post Tom
04-02-2010, 02:40 PM
A rare in-season pickup that played like a star, Texans safety Bernard Pollard is readying for his second season with the team after signing his $2.521 contract tender Friday.

"This is definitely where I want to be long-term," Pollard told the team's website. "It's just a matter of getting some things ironed out."

The Texans might be well served to see Pollard back up his performance first. Just ask the Cowboys about paying a safety huge dollars after one surprising breakout season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/pollard-signs-tender-wants-long-term-deal/

mlyonsd
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I thought Pollard was a great pickup for us. Shows you what I know.

MMXcalibur
04-02-2010, 02:47 PM
*whiffs on post*

DJ's left nut
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I thought Pollard was a great pickup for us. Shows you what I know.

Pollard WAS a great pickup for us.

Shows what Todd Haley and Scott Pioli know.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Go get 'em BP.

(except when you play us, then just play like you did in KC. kay/thx!)

SAUTO
04-02-2010, 03:06 PM

ROFL

CoMoChief
04-02-2010, 03:14 PM
ROFL

He somewhat has a point. No way would I ever call him a "great pickup" though. I thought we reached a ton on him in the draft a few years ago. I didn't even know who the fuck he was til I saw a few vids of him on Youtube bodyslamming that RB from Univ of MIN

What can you say about him playing a lot better in HOU than in KC? I doubt all of a sudden he turned some sort of switch on.

Some of it prob actually had to do with coaching. Remember our def coord was fired from his position this past offseason.

Having that said coaches are responsible for drafting players that fit their schemes and do the things that the coaches want to do. Pollard was drafted by Herm, not Pioli.

ModSocks
04-02-2010, 03:16 PM
He somewhat has a point.

What can you say about him playing a lot better in HOU than in KC? I doubt all of a sudden he turned some sort of switch on.

Some of it prob actually had to do with coaching. Remember our def coord was fired from his position this past offseason.

Having that said coaches are responsible for drafting players that fit their schemes and do the things that the coaches want to do. Pollard was drafted by Herm, not Pioli.

I'd rather have had pollard back there than Mike Brown, that's for sure.

DBOSHO
04-02-2010, 03:16 PM
All day digga

CoMoChief
04-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I'd rather have had pollard back there than Mike Brown, that's for sure.

Yeah I would too, Brown is garbage and Pollard was an asset on ST

DBOSHO
04-02-2010, 03:22 PM
My biggest beef isnt that he isnt here anymore. Its that we just let him go. We couldve at least got something for him. Like a 5th or something.

Marcellus
04-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Did you actually watch him play in KC? Missed tackles, total whiffs, bad angles.

Not a great pick up. Did he maybe wake up and play better after getting to Houston? Could be but he sucked in KC.

DaWolf
04-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I really could care less as long as we field a defense this year that is better than the crap it was when he was here, and the crap it was when he wasn't here...

SAUTO
04-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Did you actually watch him play in KC? Missed tackles, total whiffs, bad angles.

Not a great pick up. Did he maybe wake up and play better after getting to Houston? Could be but he sucked in KC.

it could also be said that he knew houston was probably his last chance. what do they say about guys who perform when needed to?

ModSocks
04-02-2010, 03:34 PM
You guys are all wrong.

Pollards success is due to Haley Making his ass run laps.

TRR
04-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Pollard was put in position to make plays last season. Hell he practically played LB for the Texans.

Pollard didn't fit the scheme in KC and had a chip on his shoulder from Haley and crew, and his attitude got progressively worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
04-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Did you actually watch or listen to our coaching staff?

Herm said, from the day we brought Pollard on, that he like his headhunter attitude and that's what he wanted to see from him.

Herm encouraged Pollard. He wasn't taught technique and he was certainly not put in a situation to succeed (WTF is a guy like Pollard doing in a cover 2?).

I did, however, see a guy with well above average athletic ability and a hitter's mentality. A guy that was a hard worker and a good teammate.

And we cut his ass to prove a point. It was stupid, it was lazy, it was completely inexcusable. It's just another example of the coaching staff being unable to work outside of it's comfort zone.

We had a 24 year old, 2 year starting SS with the physical potential and aggressive attitude to play at an above average level for the next 5-8 years. I'd give up a late 2nd rounder for that all day, every day.

Pollard was a good pick.

Marcellus
04-02-2010, 03:43 PM

Herm said, from the day we brought Pollard on, that he like his headhunter attitude and that's what he wanted to see from him.

Herm encouraged Pollard. He wasn't taught technique and he was certainly not put in a situation to succeed (WTF is a guy like Pollard doing in a cover 2?).

I did, however, see a guy with well above average athletic ability and a hitter's mentality. A guy that was a hard worker and a good teammate.

And we cut his ass to prove a point. It was stupid, it was lazy, it was completely inexcusable. It's just another example of the coaching staff being unable to work outside of it's comfort zone.

We had a 24 year old, 2 year starting SS with the physical potential and aggressive attitude to play at an above average level for the next 5-8 years. I'd give up a late 2nd rounder for that all day, every day.

Pollard was a good pick.

Sorry but I didn't see that. Go back and look at Go Chiefs gifd up thread.

We cut him because he wouldn't get with the program. That's a him problem not a KC problem.

T-post Tom
04-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Pollard was put in position to make plays last season. Hell he practically played LB for the Texans.

Pollard didn't fit the scheme in KC and had a chip on his shoulder from Haley and crew, and his attitude got progressively worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

He was a definate liability in pass coverage: he was frequently out of place and he often took bad angles. I will agree that he laid some nasty licks on opponents when he actually made contact.

TRR
04-02-2010, 03:55 PM
He was a definate liability in pass coverage: he was frequently out of place and he often took bad angles. I will agree that he laid some nasty licks on opponents when he actually made contact.

Exactly why Houston kept Pollard in the box as much as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

T-post Tom
04-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Exactly why Houston kept Pollard in the box as much as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

So let me understand this: the coaches put Pollard in a position to play to his strengths? Are they allowed to do that in the NFL?

Pasta Little Brioni
04-02-2010, 04:03 PM
I watched a few Texan games and saw him roasted in coverage and taking poor angles quite often. He's the same player, they just used him differently. Like was said, they played him in the box quite often.

Ralphy Boy
04-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Pollard should have never been cut and neither should Turk.

I sure as hell hope that Romeo is better at recognizing what he has in players than Clancy & Krumrie were.

TEX
04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I was just listening to 610 here in Houston and John McClain (The General) said that the TEXANS want him to do it again to prove his play wasn't a fluke before they award him with a long term deal. The team is a bit cautious after what happened to Steve Slaton last season - meaning they have seen first hand how a players game can slip in just one season. He also said they're not too concerned with losing him because there are things they can do to ensure they keep him if they decide to do that. He's betting they will eventually sign him to a long term deal.

LaChapelle
04-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Get Cakn' Bone Puffer

BigMeatballDave
04-02-2010, 05:54 PM
The hard-on some have for Pollard is hilarious. Sure, he made plays from time to time but he was also boneheaded at times. There is a reason they didn't try to trade him, no one was interested. Now, it probably didn't help him that Gun was his DC for most of his time here, plus pederast.
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
04-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Pollard played free safety for the last five or six games last year. He has a great work ethic and will continue to improve because of it. At worst he was solid depth and a pro bowl special teamer. It was foolish to cut a guy like that, but whatever. Whats done is done. If he wasn't gonna buy into the system, fuck him.

Im glad to see he is in a place that values him and puts him in position to succeed.

I hope they pay him handsomely. He will live up to the contract.

warpaint*
04-02-2010, 06:26 PM
They should have kept him but he is not the kind of player that we should lose sleep over losing.

KCBOSS1
04-02-2010, 06:44 PM
it could also be said that he knew houston was probably his last chance. what do they say about guys who perform when needed to?

They're smart, they woke up. I think he is a great talent. Wish we could have been the team he woke up on.

BigMeatballDave
04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
They're smart, they woke up. I think he is a great talent. Wish we could have been the team he woke up on.great talent? LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Funny story:

One of my students is a server at a Cracker Barrel. She said she got tipped 50 bones from an NFL player the other day. Didn't know who he was, but he was huge and was #31 for the Texans.

Well...it was fucking Pollard.

Hammock Parties
04-02-2010, 08:11 PM
You guys can bitch and moan about this all you want but the fact is that Pollard had to be cut. You don't go out and miss five tackles in a preseason game after showing you have a history as a poor tackler your entire previous career and survive, especially when you haven't shown the ability to be a top-flight playmaker at all.

Did it wake Pollard up? Obviously. Sucks for the Chiefs. But they did what they had to do. Pollard in no way earned a roster spot last year. Just because he had a halfway decent year with the Texans doesn't guarantee he's going on to stardom, either.

BigMeatballDave
04-02-2010, 08:20 PM
This x 1000. People seem to forget how shitty he was here at times. I thought he was gonna be a very good player, and he still may be. Just didn't work out that way for us. Get the fuck over it people, its not like he turned into Ed Reed.You guys can bitch and moan about this all you want but the fact is that Pollard had to be cut. You don't go out and miss five tackles in a preseason game after showing you have a history as a poor tackler your entire previous career and survive, especially when you haven't shown the ability to be a top-flight playmaker at all.

Did it wake Pollard up? Obviously. Sucks for the Chiefs. But they did what they had to do. Pollard in no way earned a roster spot last year. Just because he had a halfway decent year with the Texans doesn't guarantee he's going on to stardom, either.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-02-2010, 08:23 PM

Pollard was a good pick.

:(

DBOSHO
04-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Even though id gladly take him over brown anyday, Pollard sucked nuts when he was here. The only person on this board that liked him was ROR. Everyone else called for his head. He gets traded, and all of the sudden he makes a few plays and hes a fucking stud and he was actually really good we just used him wrong. Like playing in the box is going to make up for poor tackling and bad angles.

Its quite funny.

BigMeatballDave
04-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Even though id gladly take him over brown anyday, Pollard sucked nuts when he was here. The only person on this board that liked him was ROR. Everyone else called for his head. He gets traded, and all of the sudden he makes a few plays and hes a fucking stud and he was actually really good we just used him wrong. Like playing in the box is going to make up for poor tackling and bad angles.

Its quite funny.
I'd take him over Brown, too. He's really just a shinier turd...

Ralphy Boy
04-03-2010, 04:04 AM
You guys can bitch and moan about this all you want but the fact is that Pollard had to be cut. You don't go out and miss five tackles in a preseason game after showing you have a history as a poor tackler your entire previous career and survive, especially when you haven't shown the ability to be a top-flight playmaker at all.

Posted via Mobile Device

Ralphy Boy
04-03-2010, 04:04 AM

BS bench him for a game or two but u don't need to cut him outright.
Posted via Mobile Device

the Talking Can
04-03-2010, 04:23 AM
there were literally only 3-4 people on this board who didn't want this guy run out of town....

the flip flopping on pollard is amazing, as even a quick tour of the archives will make clear...

i wanted the guy gone, not going to pretend otherwise now

Marcellus
04-03-2010, 07:32 AM
BS bench him for a game or two but u don't need to cut him outright.
Posted via Mobile Device

You crack me up. They guy never did shit his entire career in KC, goes to Houston and because he doesn't play like total shit you want to believe letting him go was a huge mistake.

Pollard was not tradeable, for a reason. Pollard is not being given a multi year deal in Houston for a reason. They don't believe in him either.

Was Pollard better than Brown, I guess. I really don't see that much difference.

Either way he will NEVER be the play maker I want at the position. Ever.

Anybody who believes Pollard is a pro bowl talent waiting to bloom is absolutely fooling themselves. He is average at best and I want better than that.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Pollard was a good pick.

All....day....LAWNG, N****'s!!!

So let me understand this: the coaches put Pollard in a position to play to his strengths? Are they allowed to do that in the NFL?

Some teams DO find it quite useful I hear tell.

Funny story:

One of my students is a server at a Cracker Barrel. She said she got tipped 50 bones from an NFL player the other day. Didn't know who he was, but he was huge and was #31 for the Texans.

Damn straight it was.

there were literally only 3-4 people on this board who didn't want this guy run out of town....

the flip flopping on pollard is amazing, as even a quick tour of the archives will make clear...

I stand utterly amazed.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-04-2010, 06:07 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Pollard was cut because he called out coach. He didn't like the arrogance that came with the new coaching staff. I knew we would regret cutting him the day it happened.

ChiefsCountry
04-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Pioli probably cut him for fucking up Brady. Knowing that fat piece of shit Gm we have.
Posted via Mobile Device

beach tribe
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM

Sure did. Looked just like Wesley. He was a liability on any given play.
We should have tried to get something for him, but I'm glad he's gone.

beach tribe
04-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Me too. Contantly out of position, whiffing on tackles constantly, etc, etc.

Was he better than Mike Brown. Yeah, so? When you are rebuilding the way we are, you might as well get rid of the people who aren't going to be on the boat as soon as you can. All they do is slow the process. Pollard was going to have to be replaced anyway. I really don't care that our safety pos. was left with shit last season. It's not like pollard would have been the difference in the outcome of anything anyway. The way he played, he should have shut his fucking mouth. He had not earned the right to say squat.

SAUTO
04-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Pioli probably cut him for fucking up Brady. Knowing that fat piece of shit Gm we have.
Posted via Mobile Device

wow you must not have seen the seattle game right before he was cut. watch it again and get back to us. the reason should be completely obvious to a great talent evaluator such as yourself
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Sure did. Looked just like Wesley. He was a liability on any given play.
We should have tried to get something for him, but I'm glad he's gone.How do you know we didnt try? I'd imagine there were no takers.

BigMeatballDave
04-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceI know Pioli made some boneheaded moves, but some of you are gonna look silly if he can actually turn this franchise around. One yr in and the guy is a piece of shit? Really? I've never seen this much hatred for Carl from you. For me, I'm giving him this draft. If he's got a shot at Berry and passes for an OL or Williams at 5, then he's on my shit list.

beach tribe
04-04-2010, 01:53 PM
How do you know we didnt try? I'd imagine there were no takers.

You're absolutlely right. I don't know.

beach tribe
04-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I know Pioli made some boneheaded moves, but some of you are gonna look silly if he can actually turn this franchise around. One yr in and the guy is a piece of shit? Really? I've never seen this much hatred for Carl from you. For me, I'm giving him this draft. If he's got a shot at Berry and passes for an OL or Williams at 5, then he's on my shit list.

I wonder what all these people are going to say if/when he does turn us into a consistent contender.

googlegoogle
04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Booty dance comes with the contract!

kcfanXIII
04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Funny story:

gunther once gave me a 20 and i wasn't even his server. i had set the fire alarm off (it was the first time in 2 years of working in this restaurant it was turned on on this particular door.) well there were only a few tables so i stopped by each one and apologized to them all. i didn't even recognize him till he talked. his server told me he wanted to talk to me, and when i got there he said "you handled that with class. its nice to see a young man carry himself that way," handed me a 20 and i noticed the yellow tinted glasses. i thanked him, and welcomed him back to town. he smiled and nodded. seemed like a good dude.

back on topic, i was disappointed to see pollard let go, but i won't lose sleep over it. i'm happy he's playing well.

BigMeatballDave
04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Well, if the Chiefs really become a complete team, and that means a trip to the SB, I suspect no one will have a problem saying they were wrong about Pioli. Right now, Scott is still a question mark. While I don't hate the guy, I am skeptical. I wonder what all these people are going to say if/when he does turn us into a consistent contender.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I know Pioli made some boneheaded moves, but some of you are gonna look silly if he can actually turn this franchise around. One yr in and the guy is a piece of shit? Really? I've never seen this much hatred for Carl from you. For me, I'm giving him this draft. If he's got a shot at Berry and passes for an OL or Williams at 5, then he's on my shit list.

For one he made moves that would make Carl look like Ozzie Newsome. But if the fat turd wins us a Super Bowl I would gladly eat crow.

DJ's left nut
04-04-2010, 08:43 PM

You're also a fucking idiot, so there's that.

I suppose I'm among the 3 or 4 that knew this guy could play.

December of '08 (end of the Herm era)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5320387&postcount=117

September of '09 (After he was cut, but before he signed anywhere and excelled)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=6076969&highlight=Pollard#post6076969

Bernard Pollard could always play SS in this league. Herm was too stupid to utilize him correctly, Haoili was too lazy and insecure to bother coaching him.

Texas saw what he was and how to use him correctly. They coached him up, put him in a position to succeed and saw huge benefits on account of it.

DJ's left nut
04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
I wonder what all these people are going to say if/when he does turn us into a consistent contender.

Dunno.

But I know I'll be a shitload more intellectually honest than most of you jokers have been about Pollard.

I'll just say something stupid like "having to hire Weis and Romo woke him up..."

beach tribe
04-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Dunno.

But I know I'll be a shitload more intellectually honest than most of you jokers have been about Pollard.

I'll just say something stupid like "having to hire Weis and Romo woke him up..."

I was absolutely sick of watching Pollard F up when he was here. Either way
I wanted that posi. upgraded. If he does well in Texas, I'm glad for him, but a half season of decent play has not erased all the bunings he has recieved in his career. IMO he can be a starter in this league, but I don't trust him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-05-2010, 12:04 PM

I won't say anything. I'll do the hokey-pokey with a carrot up my ass while giving Pioli's nutsack a proper washing.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=6076969&highlight=Pollard#post6076969

Bernard Pollard could always play SS in this league. Herm was too stupid to utilize him correctly, Haoili was too lazy and insecure to bother coaching him.

Texas saw what he was and how to use him correctly. They coached him up, put him in a position to succeed and saw huge benefits on account of it.

Amazing how that works, ain't it?

SAUTO
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM

now THAT cant be true, texas has never made a player that is NFL ready, just ask mecca

DJ's left nut
04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
*Houston

Delano
04-05-2010, 12:11 PM
now THAT cant be true, texas has never made a player that is NFL ready, just ask mecca

:facepalm:

Pollard was a Boilermaker.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-05-2010, 12:11 PM

UT, Beavis...UT. ;)