PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Denver food recommendations

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm going to be in Denver next week for the 2010 AWP (Association of Writers and Writing Programs) conference. I've never been and I will be hungry, a lot, and I will need places to eat at. I know there is a sizable Denver presence here on CP that can assist me.

I will always be with a small group and there may be budgetary concerns. I'm not looking for high-end dining. Some of the places I plan on hitting up:
Bones
Pho 95
Super Star Dim Sum
Osteria Marco
Great Divide Brewing Company (I can't resist)
El Taco de Mexico
Biker Jim's Gourmet Hot Dog Cart

Thanks, all

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Could you do us all a favor and finish the job John Travolta started in Broken Arrow and nuke that fucking shithole into a glass ashtray?

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Could you do us all a favor and finish the job John Travolta started in Broken Arrow and nuke that fucking shithole into a glass ashtray?
I really don't have those kind of connections that would make it possible.

I do, however, plan on wearing Chiefs apparel and yelling at Denverites out of civic duty.

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2010, 02:00 PM
...El Taco de Mexico...

Someone gave you excellent advice.

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Someone gave you excellent advice.
I've got trustworthy sources food sources around the country. I just want to supplement them. I'm glad to hear another recommendation for the place. I hear their chile verde is pretty awesome.

prhom
04-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Hanson's on Pearl Street just south of I-25 is a down-to-earth place with flat out amazing food. Just about anything is good there, but if they have salmon on special you should get it. Also their side cesar salad is my all-time favorite. They put these fried capers on there that are so good you'll wonder why everyone doesn't do it. We used to eat there at least once a week when I lived in Denver.

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I've got trustworthy sources food sources around the country. I just want to supplement them. I'm glad to hear another recommendation for the place. I hear their chile verde is pretty awesome.

The verde is best consumed when it's smothering their chorizo breakfast burrito, IMO.

Pablo
04-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Fuck Denver.

That is all.

NewChief
04-03-2010, 02:29 PM
One of my wife's bosses lives in Denver and is a foodie. Her tastes tend toward the expensive, but I'll have my wife enquire. If you were going to Ft. Collins, I'd have a ton of recs for you... but I don't know the Denver food scene well at all.

lostcause
04-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Whenever I wore Chiefs apparel around Denver I got fucked with pretty mercilessly... Which is fine.

Zengo is pretty awesome, I ate there for 5280 one year.

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Whenever I wore Chiefs apparel around Denver I got fucked with pretty mercilessly... Which is fine.

To paraphrase Rorschach from Watchmen: Understand something, Broncos fans -- Its not me whose locked up here with you. Its you whose locked up with me.

BillSelfsTrophycase
04-03-2010, 02:46 PM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t56/thatlittlestar/smile/nuke_the_site_from_orbit.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
You're the last person I'd expect to attend a conference for the Association of White People. That's new age KKK shit.

FAX
04-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Does Denver still have that Mexican place where the waiters rock dive off a cliff into a small pool in the dining room?

FAX

CosmicPal
04-03-2010, 02:51 PM
It depends upon where you'll be and what food you like.

From the list you mentioned, (which looks like it was taken from Westword's Best of Denver,) you named some good places.

Personally, I loved Pho 79. I've been to Pho 95 a couple of times, but Pho 79 never, ever let me down, and was never as crowded.

If you're going to be in the Cherry Creek area, you have to go to the Cherry Cricket and get a burger, or really just about anything.

Pasquini's for pizza. The local favorite. Everything Pasquini's does is outstanding.

Sushi Den for sushi. They rule that city.

Benny's Cantina in Governor's Park area is very good mexican food, particularly the fish tacos. Fun atmosphere. Be sure to stop by the Lancer Lounge across the street if you want to get sloshed for cheap. Strongest drinks around at a very good price. It looks dark, but it's friendly. Tell 'em Cosmic sent you. :D

For something different, try the Vesta Dipping Grill. It's pretentious, but the sauces are out of this world.

You must go to El Chapultepec for a cocktail.

Juanita's is good mexican food too.

Late night grub, there is nothing, and I mean nothing better than Pete's Kitchen. Expect long lines.

Those were my favorite haunts right off the top of my head.

Someone mentioned Hanson's. It's good food, but I always felt like that place was too pricey. Great poolhall upstairs though. Spent a many of nights playing pool up there.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Does Denver still have that Mexican place where the waiters rock dive off a cliff into a small pool in the dining room?

FAX

If it's a pool of queso dip, I may apply for a job.

pr_capone
04-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Rain Man clued me in to a place called Panzano.

It was a touch expensive but the food was beyond incredible. Best fine dining experience I have ever had.

redngold85
04-03-2010, 02:58 PM
ditto on the Duffy's Cherry Cricket...best restaurant burger I've had and it's less than $10
Posted via Mobile Device

Robio9
04-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Chubby Burger Drive Inn, aka Original Chubby's. Whatever you order, make sure to add chicharones and/or green chili to it.
Bang
Jerusalem
Cafe Berlin
Govnr's Park

DaFace
04-03-2010, 03:09 PM

FAX

Casa Bonita and yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
04-03-2010, 03:48 PM
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4533387/12144992

LaChapelle
04-03-2010, 03:55 PM
THere was a tv show on a couple years back about eating in Denver
saying you might as well shove the food up your ass
cause it tastes like you're shitting out your mouth

mikeyis4dcats.
04-03-2010, 03:57 PM
http://eatfeats.com/man-vs-food-march-11-denver-episode-links.html

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 04:01 PM
It depends upon where you'll be and what food you like.

From the list you mentioned, (which looks like it was taken from Westword's Best of Denver,) you named some good places.

Personally, I loved Pho 79. I've been to Pho 95 a couple of times, but Pho 79 never, ever let me down, and was never as crowded.

If you're going to be in the Cherry Creek area, you have to go to the Cherry Cricket and get a burger, or really just about anything.

Pasquini's for pizza. The local favorite. Everything Pasquini's does is outstanding.

Sushi Den for sushi. They rule that city.

Benny's Cantina in Governor's Park area is very good mexican food, particularly the fish tacos. Fun atmosphere. Be sure to stop by the Lancer Lounge across the street if you want to get sloshed for cheap. Strongest drinks around at a very good price. It looks dark, but it's friendly. Tell 'em Cosmic sent you. :D

For something different, try the Vesta Dipping Grill. It's pretentious, but the sauces are out of this world.

You must go to El Chapultepec for a cocktail.

Juanita's is good mexican food too.

Late night grub, there is nothing, and I mean nothing better than Pete's Kitchen. Expect long lines.

Those were my favorite haunts right off the top of my head.

Someone mentioned Hanson's. It's good food, but I always felt like that place was too pricey. Great poolhall upstairs though. Spent a many of nights playing pool up there.
I don't know what a Westword is; my initial list was just places that other people have enthusiastically recommended.

Your list is bad-ass in detail and scope. Thanks!

bishop_74
04-03-2010, 04:02 PM
THere was a tv show on a couple years back about eating in Denver
saying you might as well shove the food up your ass
cause it tastes like you're shitting out your mouth

Unfortunate but true. Lived here for 3 years after living 10 in Austin. Quite a huge dissapointment. Every once in a while we run in to a place worth attending again, but I have pretty much given up on Denver cuisine.

Bwana
04-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Why yes! As long as you'll be in Denvers airport, stop by Quizno's and down a couple of these!

http://dietfacts.org/html/nutrition-facts/quiznos-tuna-melt-sub-l52124.htm

Braincase
04-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I recall a pretty decent micro-brewery in Denver... help me out here.

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I recall a pretty decent micro-brewery in Denver... help me out here.
Great Divide.

Quesadilla Joe
04-03-2010, 05:12 PM
http://www.elways.com/

Braincase
04-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Great Divide.

I was thinking Wynkoop. Been there awhile, don't even know if it's still open.

DrRyan
04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Lincoln's roadhouse, I believe it is called. Little dive bar with a killer meatloaf cheeseburger. I believe is was just off I-25 but it has been a while since I have been.

If you are in the downtown/LoDo area stop in for a margarita at Rio. Don't have more than two though!
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
The Wynkoop is still there, they have alright food (out of the few things I've eaten the few times I've been there), but its a cool microbrewery.

Also, its in a prime location if you want to walk around downtown.

NewChief
04-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Lincoln's roadhouse, I believe it is called. Little dive bar with a killer meatloaf cheeseburger. I believe is was just off I-25 but it has been a while since I have been.

If you are in the downtown/LoDo area stop in for a margarita at Rio. Don't have more than two though!
Posted via Mobile Device

If that's the same Rio as the one in Ft. Collins... I'll echo the no more than two. I think they actually have a limit of two. My theory was that they add PGA into the mix or something. They are seriously... seriously.... strong. And I'm a moderately heavy drinker. Starting a night out at the Rio in Ft. Collins was sort of the way to guarantee a nutty/wild evening./

DrRyan
04-03-2010, 05:55 PM
If that's the same Rio as the one in Ft. Collins... I'll echo the no more than two. I think they actually have a limit of two. My theory was that they add PGA into the mix or something. They are seriously... seriously.... strong. And I'm a moderately heavy drinker. Starting a night out at the Rio in Ft. Collins was sort of the way to guarantee a nutty/wild evening./

Must be the same place. They do have a limit of 2 in Denver as well, but sometimes people think it would be a good idea to have a third. It never is.

NewChief
04-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Must be the same place. They do have a limit of 2 in Denver as well, but sometimes people think it would be a good idea to have a third. It never is.

Yeah, the food is average... but the margaritas are legendary.

Phobia
04-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I would eat at Avery every single night.

NewChief
04-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I would eat at Avery every single night.

Did you ever try Coopersmith's in Ft. Collins? They have a pretty awesome serrano chili beer... and I'm not generally a fan of weird flavored beers.

Phobia
04-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Did you ever try Coopersmith's in Ft. Collins? They have a pretty awesome serrano chili beer... and I'm not generally a fan of weird flavored beers.

No. I eat at Avery every single night.

CosmicPal
04-03-2010, 06:37 PM
The Wynkoop...

Also, its in a prime location if you want to walk around downtown.

It is. I was fortunate enough to have an office right across the street from the Wynkoop.

Groves
04-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Jerusalem

THIS.

And don't forget City Grille for a good burger, too.

Rain Man
04-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Bones is about 8 blocks from my house, and I ate there for the first time on Thursday. Wow, wow, wow. Fantastic.

I'm not a fan of El Taco De Mexico. It's authentic Mexican, but I'm not into stuff like tripe. My favorite Mexican place is about a block away from that restaurant, a place called El Noa Noa. They have a special taco dish (don't remember the name) that is astounding.

As cosmicpal mentioned, Sushi Den owns the Sushi market in Denver and is delicious. There's a small place at 6th and Washington near the Bones that's just as good and is half the price.

If you're downtown, Appaloosa Grill is a great place to get a general American menu at a reasonable price.

As pr_capone mentioned, Panzano is a great place downtown. Kind of expensive, but great.

The Washington Park Grill is a little southeast of downtown, and is a great place. I recall that they have a fair number of lobster dishes.

Two good pizza places are Benny Blancos (thin New York style, no seating and a six-foot customer area so you have to get it to go) and Bonnie Brae (regular pizza, family-owned place for about 70 years, not fancy but good pizza).

Little India is at 6th and Grant and has great Indian food. There's another one downtown that I presume is the same quality, but I've only been there once.

My favorite Chinese place is a little hole-in-the-wall called the Dragon Cafe just north of the Cherry Creek mall. Not a fancy place at all, but the Sesame Chicken is awe-inspiring.

Best burger in town is the Cherry Cricket in the Cherry Creek area. It's a must-do.

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Bones is about 8 blocks from my house, and I ate there for the first time on Thursday. Wow, wow, wow. Fantastic.

I'm not a fan of El Taco De Mexico. It's authentic Mexican, but I'm not into stuff like tripe. My favorite Mexican place is about a block away from that restaurant, a place called El Noa Noa. They have a special taco dish (don't remember the name) that is astounding.

As cosmicpal mentioned, Sushi Den owns the Sushi market in Denver and is delicious. There's a small place at 6th and Washington near the Bones that's just as good and is half the price.

If you're downtown, Appaloosa Grill is a great place to get a general American menu at a reasonable price.

As pr_capone mentioned, Panzano is a great place downtown. Kind of expensive, but great.

The Washington Park Grill is a little southeast of downtown, and is a great place. I recall that they have a fair number of lobster dishes.

Two good pizza places are Benny Blancos (thin New York style, no seating and a six-foot customer area so you have to get it to go) and Bonnie Brae (regular pizza, family-owned place for about 70 years, not fancy but good pizza).

Little India is at 6th and Grant and has great Indian food. There's another one downtown that I presume is the same quality, but I've only been there once.

My favorite Chinese place is a little hole-in-the-wall called the Dragon Cafe just north of the Cherry Creek mall. Not a fancy place at all, but the Sesame Chicken is awe-inspiring.

Best burger in town is the Cherry Cricket in the Cherry Creek area. It's a must-do.
Thanks for the post, Rain Man.

Question: everyone keeps saying to go to Cherry Cricket, but is it actually a place you'd recommend to the food-obsessed (such as me)? My impression of it (without ever having been) is that its a great general purpose place to send most people to and is popular within its own city; something like Gates BBQ is in Kansas City. I know, however, that I'd never send a "foodie" to Gates. Does Cherry Cricket really make a better burger than Park Burger or Larkburger? How far off the mark am I?

Hammock Parties
04-03-2010, 10:30 PM
If you go to Elway's make sure you take a huge shit and clog up the toilet or something.

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 10:39 PM
If you go to Elway's make sure you take a huge shit and clog up the toilet or something.
I would stand in the middle of the bathroom and just start peeing on the walls as I spun around in a circle. And then I'd loudly proclaim that my performance was an allegory for the Josh McDaniels era thus far.

Rain Man
04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the post, Rain Man.

Question: everyone keeps saying to go to Cherry Cricket, but is it actually a place you'd recommend to the food-obsessed (such as me)? My impression of it (without ever having been) is that its a great general purpose place to send most people to and is popular within its own city; something like Gates BBQ is in Kansas City. I know, however, that I'd never send a "foodie" to Gates. Does Cherry Cricket really make a better burger than Park Burger or Larkburger? How far off the mark am I?

I'm not familiar with Park Burger or Larkburger so I can't comment. Burgers are kind of burgers, so it's not like the best burger is a different species than the a typical burger, but if you want a good burger, it's the place to go. Good burger, good fries, but if you're into gourmet foods, it's really just a good burger and good fries.

Oh, another really good place if you want more upper-end food is Sullivan's in lower downtown. Good place for steak and crab legs. Also, the Diamond Cabaret serves steaks withing wriggling distance of topless dancers, but alas I've never been there so can't comment on it.

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm not familiar with Park Burger or Larkburger so I can't comment. Burgers are kind of burgers, so it's not like the best burger is a different species than the a typical burger, but if you want a good burger, it's the place to go. Good burger, good fries, but if you're into gourmet foods, it's really just a good burger and good fries.
Sure. Lots of foods fit the description of ____ are kind of _____. The difference is in execution.

Rain Man
04-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Where are you staying, reaper? Downtown?

The food is only kind of okay, but I really like the ambiance of Palette's, the restaurant at the Denver Art Museum.

Reaper16
04-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Where are you staying, reaper? Downtown?

The food is only kind of okay, but I really like the ambiance of Palette's, the restaurant at the Denver Art Museum.
I actually don't know where my people booked the hotel at. We'll have a car. Most of my time will be spent at the convention center; that will be home base moreso than where ever we're lodging at.

Rain Man
04-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Ah. The Convention Center is in a good location. You're very close to the Performing Arts Center, Sixteenth Street Mall, Art Museum, Colorado History Museum, and other stuff. If you're driving around, drive down the Seventh Avenue Parkway and the Country Club neighborhood if you want to see some nice architecture. There was a lot of silver money in Denver around the turn of the 20th century, and some nice mansions.

Another nice thing to do if you've got some time is to head up I-70 to Georgetown, which is the first of the real mountain towns. It's about 45 minutes west of downtown.

Third Eye
04-03-2010, 11:08 PM
No mention of JJ Chinese Seafood Restaurant? I highly recommend it for anyone open to new things. Not too many places where you can get cold chicken claw, fried crispy pig intestine, and a pan-fried turnip cake in one place. Ok, I had none of those, but they have a pretty extensive menu with something for everyone. The shrimp with walnut and mayonnaise sauce was amazing. Best selection of fresh fish I've ever seen not on a coast.

http://www.jjrestaurant.com/

T-post Tom
04-04-2010, 12:59 AM
They've got the best upscale Irish restaurant eva:

http://alliedow.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/mcdonalds.jpg

Dante84
04-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Denver eats shit.

bigbucks24
04-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Haven't been in Denver long (ok, Littleton), but have taken a liking to Morrison Inn in Morrison. Great mexican food. Also just found a little authentic Mexican place on 285 about half-way to Conifer (English translation of the name is "old cart"). As far as Casa Bonita goes, cool atmosphere (cliff divers in the restaurant, musicians, pinatas, magic acts, live skits, etc.) but the food is AWFUL.

Reaper16
04-19-2010, 08:43 PM
I forgot to bump this thread with the places I was able to go.

Appaloosa Grill: meh. It was conveniently located and could accommodate a large group, which I was thankful for.

Cherry Cricket: decent burger. Nothing to rave over. I'd pick Kansas City's Blanc Burgers + Bottles 10 out of 10 times over Cherry Cricket.

Sushi Den: absolutely kick-ass sushi for being in a landlocked city like Denver. Great sushi rice. The o-toro tuna nigiri was brilliant (as fresh o-toro tends to be) and I dared to order a non-sushi item -- hamachi collar grilled with sea salt and a ponzu sauce -- that was delectable. Hell, the maki (rolls) was brilliant and I tend to opt for nigiri over maki all of the time.

Bones: kick-ass. The pork belly steamed buns, suckling pig steamed buns and escargot potstickers were so great. Those were just appetizers. My bowl of fresh ramen with lobster, edamame and miso was so subtle and delicate. The other bowls my dining partners had were just as good.

Tomayo: hadn't planned on going to this "modern Mexican cuisine" restaurant but whatev. It was overpriced but the tamal de portabella that I ordered two of was really, really good.

Biker Jim's Gourmet Sausage Cart: I ate here three times during the week; twice at 16th & Arapahoe and once over at Argonaut Liquors on the weekend. If you pass through or live in Denver and you haven't gone to Biker Jim's then shame on your ass. The wild boar, Alaskan reindeer, German veal and rattlesnake/pheasant sausages are all super-kick-ass. Required eating. Jesus, this was good. Plus, Biker Jim is a cool dude. We talked about heavy metal, literature and Kansas City BBQ (Jim's favorite? Oklahoma Joe's). Plus, I was majorly flirting with the register girl that works for him.

As far as drinks go...

Great Divide Brewing Company Taphouse: I decided to go on Rockies opening day (doh!) so it was packed. I struck up a conversation with a couple of guys and we were nerding out about beer. It turns out that one of the guys was an employee of Oskar Blues brewing and the other was the head brewer of Great Divide! Their head brewer gave me a private tour of the brewery, a free tulip glass and I drank Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti on-tap with him for free, for far more glasses than I would have liked given that the beer is close to 10% ABV. So... your mileage may very as far as getting as cool an experience there as I did.

Falling Rock Tap House: a superb beer bar. The tap selection here is mind-blowing. they have motherfucking Russian River Pliny the Elder on-tap! My favorite beer! I can't buy it in KC but here it was, on-tap no less! I drank four pints. I was tipsy but oh, so happy.

I used to think that I wouldn't care if Denver were suddenly erased from the map; my hate of the Broncos is that much. The food in Denver justified the existence of the entire city for me. You can eat well in Denver, CO. You can eat really fucking well.

Saccopoo
04-19-2010, 08:46 PM
You should have went to the Pearl Street Grill while you were hanging out by the Sushi Den. They have the best Montecristo sandwich in the city and pour perfect black and tans.

boogblaster
04-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Haven't ever stopped on me way thru Dungver .. Did see a skunk eatin a donkey on the side of the road once .. but he was pukin ....

KCHawg
04-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Since you are in Denver, I'd have to say............................Antifreeze?

Saccopoo
04-19-2010, 11:11 PM
I could also give you the name of the place in the Denver metro-ish area that serves some of the greatest hamburgers ever. But then it would be swarmed by a bunch of Philistines that couldn't truly appreciate it's subtle greatness. No, the Cheeseburger in Paradise shall remain a closely guarded secret.

Renegade
04-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Next time you go, you will have to try Le Central if you like French cooking. It is on the corner of 8th and Lincoln. The mussels are really good, and not pricey.

Here is the website

http://www.lecentral.com/

spanky 52
04-20-2010, 06:19 AM
You should have went to the Pearl Street Grill while you were hanging out by the Sushi Den. They have the best Montecristo sandwich in the city and pour perfect black and tans.

It's been a couple of years but your right about their Montecristo.

Bane
04-20-2010, 07:11 AM
I saw a bunch of Donk fans tailgating with these a while back,so I'm thinking I wouldn't eat a goddamn thing in Dungver.

Rain Man
04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
I forgot to bump this thread with the places I was able to go.

Appaloosa Grill: meh. It was conveniently located and could accommodate a large group, which I was thankful for.

What the - that's a great place! Great! I probably should have warned you that their cole slaw stinks, but everything else is great. I'll bet you had the cole slaw. My bad.

Cherry Cricket: decent burger. Nothing to rave over. I'd pick Kansas City's Blanc Burgers + Bottles 10 out of 10 times over Cherry Cricket.

What the - that's a great place! Great! You're insane!

Sushi Den: absolutely kick-ass sushi for being in a landlocked city like Denver. Great sushi rice. The o-toro tuna nigiri was brilliant (as fresh o-toro tends to be) and I dared to order a non-sushi item -- hamachi collar grilled with sea salt and a ponzu sauce -- that was delectable. Hell, the maki (rolls) was brilliant and I tend to opt for nigiri over maki all of the time.

Yeah. That place is ALWAYS crowded. Great food.

Bones: kick-ass. The pork belly steamed buns, suckling pig steamed buns and escargot potstickers were so great. Those were just appetizers. My bowl of fresh ramen with lobster, edamame and miso was so subtle and delicate. The other bowls my dining partners had were just as good.

Oh, yeah. That ramen is amazing.

I used to think that I wouldn't care if Denver were suddenly erased from the map; my hate of the Broncos is that much. The food in Denver justified the existence of the entire city for me. You can eat well in Denver, CO. You can eat really ****ing well.

Yeah, people around here hate Denver because of the lousy stinking football team, but Denver is a wonderful city. It's way out of the league of any place else I've ever lived, and most places I've visited.

Garcia Bronco
04-20-2010, 09:20 AM
I really don't have those kind of connections that would make it possible.

I do, however, plan on wearing Chiefs apparel and yelling at Denverites out of civic duty.

I wouldn't do that. It's how the Homo's identify each other. :P

Reaper16
04-20-2010, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't do that. It's how the Homo's identify each other. :P
I was in Denver for a writer's convention. I think that my convention badge was how homos identify each other.

vailpass
04-20-2010, 11:26 AM
El Chapultepec
1962 Market St. Denver, CO 80202 | Downtown | 303-295-9126

Hot Food, Cool Jazz

Don't miss it.

manchambo
04-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Both Elway and Shanahan have steakhouses now. I've eaten at Elway's several times and it is good, but not great (Del Frisco's is best steakhouse in Denver, imho).

Haven't eaten at Shanahan's yet, but I've heard good things. I'm sure you'll want to hit them both up. Last time I had lunch at Elway's downtown, the Duke himself was eating there.

modocsot
04-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Jax Fish House.

L.A. Chieffan
04-20-2010, 01:30 PM
holy shit. casa bonita is a real place?

FlaChief58
04-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I've heard that denver serves up a mean donkey steak and that donkey tastes just like chicken! ;)

Coogs
04-20-2010, 01:50 PM
I'll probably get laughed out of here by the Denver regulars, but...

My wife and I were in Denver in February. We were shopping at a Mall down on the south end of Denver right off of I-25 (?). We both like Chinese food, so we went to PF Chang's. The place was filled with good looking people. The view of the mountains was stunning. The beer was cold. And the food was pretty damn good too.

I'd recommend it. :shrug:

Saccopoo
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM

My wife and I were in Denver in February. We were shopping at a Mall down on the south end of Denver right off of I-25 (?). We both like Chinese food, so we went to PF Chang's. The place was filled with good looking people. The view of the mountains was stunning. The beer was cold. And the food was pretty damn good too.

Oh Coogs...

vailpass
04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Oh Coogs...

LMAO

Coogs
04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Oh Coogs...

What can I say? We enjoyed it. View from there was stunning on the day we were there. Next time I am in town... which will be in August... I will look this thread up and try some of the recommended spots.

Coogs
04-20-2010, 02:00 PM
LMAO

:sulk:

NewChief
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM

I've eaten at that PF Changs. The view from their porch -is- awesome.

NewChief
04-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, people around here hate Denver because of the lousy stinking football team, but Denver is a wonderful city. It's way out of the league of any place else I've ever lived, and most places I've visited.

Yeah, anyone who seriously dislikes the city of Denver (beyond the fact that they host the Broncos) is just being a hater. The city is awesome (albeit traffic sucks... or did back when I was in Colorado... which was when T-Rex was just getting started).

vailpass
04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, anyone who seriously dislikes the city of Denver (beyond the fact that they host the Broncos) is just being a hater. The city is awesome (albeit traffic sucks... or did back when I was in Colorado... which was when T-Rex was just getting started).

Truth. Denver has much to offer within city limits and you are a mere car ride away from some of the finest country on God's earth.
People fly in from all over the world to go to places you can get to in your car.

vailpass
04-20-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm such a tool I didn't read the thread date and sent Reaper a message advocting one of my favorit Denver spots.
I'm a fuggin n00b all over again.

DaFace
04-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Truth. Denver has much to offer within city limits and you are a mere car ride away from some of the finest country on God's earth.
People fly in from all over the world to go to places you can get to in your car.

Pretty much. The mountains are addictive. I feel weird when I DON'T get outside in a weekend anymore.

Reaper16
04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
I wasn't used to seeing mountains on the horizon of a cityscape. I felt like I was in a beer commercial, as if the Coors Light silver bullet train could come screaming down the 16th Street Mall at any time.

vailpass
04-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Pretty much. The mountains are addictive. I feel weird when I DON'T get outside in a weekend anymore.

Oh yeah. You ever get up to Pine? I used to love to camp out there, head over to the Bucksnort for a few beers.

vailpass
04-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I wasn't used to seeing mountains on the horizon of a cityscape. I felt like I was in a beer commercial, as if the Coors Light silver bullet train could come screaming down the 16th Street Mall at any time.

When I first moved from Denver to Phoenix I could not tell North from South. I was used to knowing the mountains were West and going from there.

DaFace
04-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Oh yeah. You ever get up to Pine? I used to love to camp out there, head over to the Bucksnort for a few beers.

Na, not really. We live up north in Thornton, so most of the time when we get out we're either headed up I-70 or toward the Boulder/Lyons area. I'll have to check that out if I ever end up in that area, though.

When I first moved from Denver to Phoenix I could not tell North from South. I was used to knowing the mountains were West and going from there.

That's the way my wife was in college. I always used to make fun of her for it, but I do find myself thinking, "Which way are the mountains?" when trying to orient myself.

vailpass
04-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Na, not really. We live up north in Thornton, so most of the time when we get out we're either headed up I-70 or toward the Boulder/Lyons area. I'll have to check that out if I ever end up in that area, though.

That's the way my wife was in college. I always used to make fun of her for it, but I do find myself thinking, "Which way are the mountains?" when trying to orient myself.

http://www.thebucksnortsaloon.com/

Damn nice camping to be had around here. Probably find some hotel camping too if that is more your speed.

DaFace
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
http://www.thebucksnortsaloon.com/

Damn nice camping to be had around here. Probably find some hotel camping too if that is more your speed.

Negative. What's the point in being in the mountains if you aren't outside? :)

vailpass
04-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Negative. What's the point in being in the mountains if you aren't outside? :)

Indeed sir.

Rain Man
04-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Oh, I love hotel camping. You're out in some town you don't know, and the cable channels are all different, and you have no idea where the nearest Chinese restaurant is. That's when I realize how easy I have it at home.

vailpass
04-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Oh, I love hotel camping. You're out in some town you don't know, and the cable channels are all different, and you have no idea where the nearest Chinese restaurant is. That's when I realize how easy I have it at home.

Room Service FTW