PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 610 Draft Overview (1st round: You probably won't like it.)

T-post Tom
04-03-2010, 11:32 PM
<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1521065086" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=75569043001&playerId=1521065086&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Bowser
04-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Fescoe is Saccopoo. Who'da thunk?

Hammock Parties
04-04-2010, 12:23 AM
How the fuck does someone who covers the NFL for a living not know that neither Suh nor McCoy are suited to play 3-4 nose tackle?

I guess you could stick them at end like Dorsey, but that would be even dumber than picking Jackson last year. But I guess Fescoe is pretty dumb.

T-post Tom
04-04-2010, 12:24 AM
How the **** does someone who covers the NFL for a living not know that neither Suh nor McCoy are suited to play 3-4 nose tackle?

I guess you could stick them at end like Dorsey, but that would be even dumber than picking Jackson last year. But I guess Fescoe is pretty dumb.

Yeppers. BTW, do you ever sleep?

UKMike
04-04-2010, 04:25 AM
The only part of that which is even mildly sensible is the great safties playing behind great defensive front bit, but it's an irrelevance. Berry isn't the type of player that comes along every year, maybe not once every five years. You don't pass on a guy like that just because your team might not quite be ready to take full advantage of them. You're making a decision that will hopefully have a positive impact on the team for the next decade.

If there was a great pass rushing OLB (or even a top ILB) available at the top of the draft worthy of a top 5 we should be looking at him, but there isn't. Berry is potentially at truly great player at a position of great need. Any arguement against taking him is ridiculous.

AirForceChief
04-04-2010, 05:15 AM
His argument makes no sense. He recognizes safety is a glaring need and then that Berry is a talent, only to conclude that the position holds little value because our front seven also lack talent...whaaaaa?

UKMike
04-04-2010, 05:18 AM
His argument makes no sense. He recognizes safety is a glaring need and then that Berry is a talent, only to conclude that the position holds little value because our front seven also lack talent...whaaaaa?

It's a bit like saying we shouldn't get a LT because we don't have a quarterback to protect.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-04-2010, 05:52 AM
Wait a minute. He talks about "wasting" a pick by taking Berry at 5 because Reed, Polamalu, and Wilson were taken lower, BUT wants KC to take a LT when they already have one. WTF??? Taking Okung at 5 is a complete "waste" of our draft position.

BossChief
04-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Why again cant Suh play nose guard in our defense?

I dont know everything, but I do know that Suh began dominating competition half way through his junior year after theyh changed him from a 1 gap tackle to a 2 gap defender and that is the nature of the nose guard position in our scheme.

I guess my question is what can guys like Wilfork and Rodgers do that Suh couldnt?

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Wait a minute. He talks about "wasting" a pick by taking Berry at 5 because Reed, Polamalu, and Wilson were taken lower, BUT wants KC to take a LT when they already have one. WTF??? Taking Okung at 5 is a complete "waste" of our draft position.

In hind sight, if Polamalu or Reed we're available at #5 would you take them ?

Hell yes !!!

Huffman83
04-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Why again cant Suh play nose guard in our defense?

I dont know everything, but I do know that Suh began dominating competition half way through his junior year after theyh changed him from a 1 gap tackle to a 2 gap defender and that is the nature of the nose guard position in our scheme.

I guess my question is what can guys like Wilfork and Rodgers do that Suh couldnt?

Wilforck 6-2 325

Rogers 6-4 350

Suh 6-4 300

Suh is a beast I understand that. I would have loved for them to take Suh last year and make him a DE in the 3-4. But he isn't big enough to play NT.

The only way I see KC taking Suh in the first is due to KC making a draft day deal of Dorsey. That is...if Suh is available...

Pasta Little Brioni
04-04-2010, 07:06 AM
In hind sight, if Polamalu or Reed we're available at #5 would you take them ?

Hell yes !!!

Absolutely and here is the 1st round from the year Polamalu was picked.

2003 NFL draft, First round
1. Cincinnati — Carson Palmer, QB, USC
2. Detroit — Charles Rogers, WR, Michigan St.
3. Houston — Andre Johnson, WR, Miami (Fla.)
4. N.Y. Jets — Dewayne Robertson, DT, Kentucky
5. Dallas — Terence Newman, CB, Kansas State
6. New Orleans — Johnathan Sullivan, DT, Georgia
7. Jacksonville — Byron Leftwich, QB, Marshall
8. Carolina — Jordan Gross, OT, Utah
9. Minnesota — Kevin Williams, DE, Oklahoma St.
10. Baltimore — Terrell Suggs, OLB, Arizona State
11. Seattle — Marcus Trufant, CB, Washington St.
12. St. Louis — Jimmy Kennedy, DT, Penn State
13. New England — Ty Warren, DE, Texas A&M
14. Chicago — Michael Haynes, DE, Penn State
15. Philadelphia — Jerome McDougle, DE, Miami (Fla.)
16. Pittsburgh — Troy Polamalu, DB, USC
17. Arizona — Bryant Johnson, WR, Penn State
18. Arizona — Calvin Pace, DE, Wake Forest
19. Baltimore — Kyle Boller, QB, Cal
20. Denver — George Foster, OT, Georgia
21. Cleveland — Jeff Faine, C, Notre Dame
22. Chicago — Rex Grossman, QB, Florida
23. Buffalo — Willis McGahee, RB, Miami (Fla.)
24. Indianapolis — Dallas Clark, TE, Iowa
25. N.Y. Giants — William Joseph, DT, Miami (Fla.)
26. San Francisco — Kwame Harris, OT, Stanford
27. Kansas City — Larry Johnson, RB, Penn State
28. Tennessee — Andre Woolfolk, CB, Oklahoma
29. Green Bay — Nick Barnett, MLB, Oregon State
30. San Diego — Sammy Davis, CB, Texas A&M
31. Oakland — Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Cal
32. Oakland — Tyler Brayton, DE, Colorado

BossChief
04-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Wilforck 6-2 325

Rogers 6-4 350

Suh 6-4 300

Suh is a beast I understand that. I would have loved for them to take Suh last year and make him a DE in the 3-4. But he isn't big enough to play NT.

The only way I see KC taking Suh in the first is due to KC making a draft day deal of Dorsey. That is...if Suh is available...

Baltimores defense is VERY similar to ours in what it asks of its players, other comparisons are NE and the Jets to what our defense is built to resemble scheme wise.

Baltimore lines up a starting nose guard that is 6'1'' 315. They play Ngata at end, he is the guy that is the typical nose guard, size wise. The much smaller guy plays there because it gives them scheme flexibility.

The Jets started Pouha at NT after Kris Jenkins went down after game 6 and he is 6'3'' 320. Jenkins is 6'4'' 360, but their defense shined with a much smaller nose guard. #1 defense in football iirc.

I think that sometimes mistakes are made where people think a player cant do certain things because he isnt the same size as the prototype player, but its not always true.

I think that a DL of Jackson, Dorsey and Suh could be dominant no matter how you line them up TBH. Both against the run and the pass.

jAZ
04-04-2010, 09:05 AM
As I understand it, Pioli and Belichick are big proponents of positional value. If that's the case, then like it or not, it's why we took Jackson at #3 and why there is likely no way we are talking safety at #5.

milkman
04-04-2010, 09:14 AM
As I understand it, Pioli and Belichick are big proponents of positional value. If that's the case, then like it or not, it's why we took Jackson at #3 and why there is likely no way we are talking safety at #5.

Yeah, cause 5 tech DE is great positional value at #3 overall.

I suggest you go someplace that has a topic you know something about, because you clearly are ****ing clueless here.

jAZ
04-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah, cause 5 tech DE is great positional value at #3 overall.

I suggest you go someplace that has a topic you know something about, because you clearly are ****ing clueless here.

In a league where teams are driving up the position's value as they move to 3-4, that's exactly what it is.

milkman
04-04-2010, 09:40 AM
In a league where teams are driving up the position's value as they move to 3-4, that's exactly what it is.

Once again, go talk about soemthing that you know, whatever the hell that may be.

It doesn't matter that teams are transitioning to the 34, the fact is, and will always remain, that a DE in a 34 is just a guy that takes up blockers, a non impact position that should never be taken ahead of potential play makers at the top of the draft.

BigChiefFan
04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Fescoe is obviously burying his hand in the sand in regards to Albert.