PDA

View Full Version : Football Welcome to STL, Sam Bradford

OnTheWarpath15
04-05-2010, 02:46 PM
According to Schefter via Twitter, the Rams have released Marc Bulger.

Trying to get a link from STLToday, but the site has crashed.

EDIT:

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2010/04/rams-release-bulger/

In a move that surely will fuel more speculation that the St. Louis Rams are poised to make Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, the team has released incumbent starter Marc Bulger.

Bulger, 33, was the Rams’ starting quarterback for most of the last eight seasons, following Kurt Warner in the job.

Bulger, who has been hampered by a series of injuries over the past few seasons, started eight games last year. He finished the season on injured reserve with a fractured shin bone.

In a statement, coach Steve Spagnuolo said: “It is always hard to part ways with someone you care for and appreciate. . . . I will always be indebted to him for his work ethic, character and leadership. We wish him and his family nothing but the best.”

As the Rams’ first-team QB, Bulger compiled a 41-54 record. He completed 1,969 of 3,171 passes (62.1 percent) for 22,814 yards, the second-highest total in franchise history. He threw for 122 touchdowns, with 93 interceptions. His career passer rating is 84.4.

Last month, the Rams signed veteran A.J. Feeley, presumably to be their backup quarterback in 2010.

Frazod
04-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I didn't like the Lambs anyway, this makes it that much easier to hate them.

The Franchise
04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Have fun getting drilled 25 times a game.

DeezNutz
04-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Damn.

Rams with the #1 overall receiver next season for sure.

ChiefGator
04-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Not sure how much Bulger was supposed to make, but I don't know why you don't keep him as a backup. Noone else is going to give him a starting gig anyway.

Now they can draft a rookie Qb with an injury history and not have any veteran backup.

Brilliant!!

Bane
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Espn says it saved them a 8.5 million cap hit.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
04-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Not sure how much Bulger was supposed to make, but I don't know why you don't keep him as a backup. Noone else is going to give him a starting gig anyway.

Now they can draft a rookie Qb with an injury history and not have any veteran backup.

Brilliant!!

They signed AJ Feeley to a 2 year, $6 million dollar contract last month.

petegz28
04-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Bradford's shoulder will be hurt in no time.

dirk digler
04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
This probably made Bulger's day. I know it would for me.

Archie Bunker
04-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I think Bradford in that situation is going to equal all kinds of FAIL but I do admire the Rams taking the gamble. It would've been real easy for them to take Suh and play it safe.

Bane
Bradford's shoulder will be hurt in no time.
If he takes even half the hits Bulger has the past few seasons, I agree.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
Somewhere... Bradford just punched a puppy in the face...

Mecca
04-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Bradford was probably pissed last night, that McNabb trade fucked him. He no longer has any contract leverage.

Frazod
04-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Is it Monday already?

Bane
04-05-2010, 02:58 PM

I love it when guys get drafted by teams in bad shape or rebuilding and act like it was their dream to play for that team! I can't wait to hear what he says when they draft him.Yeah I can't wait to get my ass kicked everyday and win 3 games.At least I'll be cakn patna....
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
04-05-2010, 03:01 PM
It's only a dream to play for that team because the amount of money that goes with being the 1st pick is so ridiculous that it's worth it.

chiefs1111
04-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Rams release Marc Bulger

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 5, 2010 3:46 PM ET
'Tis the season for unloading expensive veteran quarterbacks.

The Rams announced the release of quarterback Marc Bulger Monday on his 33rd birthday, ending an eight-year run with the team that began brilliantly but fell apart the last three seasons.

The decline of the Rams' franchise can be traced in Bulger's W/L loss record. His first three years he went 26-10 in starts. His last three years: 5-32.

Bulger was scheduled to make $8.5 million in 2010 and was never expected to remain with the team. We're trying to figure out why they dumped him now instead of one week ago or after the draft. (UPDATE: Duh. Mort writes that Bulger was on Washington's radar and his presence kept St. Louis' options for trading down open.)

Arizona was believed to have interest in Bulger previously, but appear fully stocked at quarterback now. Chicago makes a lot of sense as a destination.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/05/rams-release-marc-bulger/

RedThat
04-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Just out of curiousity would any here take Bulger over Cassel.

Skyy God
04-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Mr. 70 QB rating? That would be KnowNothing-level retarded.

Bane
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM

Nope,but then again I don't see Cassel being here after this season.I hope not anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

FD
04-05-2010, 03:15 PM

No way.

T-post Tom
04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm guessing Bulger ends up with the Faiders. Not an Al Davis arm, but they need help...badly.

ChiefGator
04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Espn says it saved them a 8.5 million cap hit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh.. that is pretty big I guess.

A.J. Feeley wouldn't exactly fill me with confidence as a backup if I'm a Rams fan though.

Dave Lane
04-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Damn.

Rams with the #1 overall receiver next season for sure.

If the line there can't block better they may need a new QB to go with that receiver.

vailpass
04-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I love it when guys get drafted by teams in bad shape or rebuilding and act like it was their dream to play for that team! I can't wait to hear what he says when they draft him.Yeah I can't wait to get my ass kicked everyday and win 3 games.At least I'll be cakn patna....
Posted via Mobile Device

What do you suppose the Chief's draft picks say?

Bane
04-05-2010, 03:32 PM

Exactly what their agents tell them to say.I bet they were not thrilled to come to KC but will spend the money just the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
04-05-2010, 03:37 PM

At least it's better than Denver or Oakland?

Mr. Laz
04-05-2010, 03:53 PM
stupid

they lose leverage with Bradford in negotiations and they don't have an option if Bradford isn't 100% ready to start game 1.

MMXcalibur
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Kyle Boller time!!!!!

DeezNutz
04-05-2010, 03:58 PM
stupid

they lose leverage with Bradford in negotiations and they don't have an option if Bradford isn't 100% ready to start game 1.

Feeley will be just fine. No need to rush Bradford, since '10 will mean absolutely nothing.

vailpass
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
At least it's better than Denver or Oakland?

Of course it is.

Frazod
04-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Of course it is.

So what exactly do they have in Denver to make people want to play there?

Fired the HOF coach? That's probably not it.

Shitcanned the franchise QB? That's probably not it, either.

Raising choking at the end of the season in a weak division to an artform? Nope.

Maybe they want to be the next punk gunned down in a drive-by? Probably not.

Not much good happening with the Donx these days. It's been a long time since you hopped on that '98 bandwagon, Miss Iowa.

Dallas Chief
04-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I didn't like the Lambs anyway, this makes it that much easier to hate them.
Why do you have to be such an OU hater fraz? Nobody on here wishes Booger any ill will, even though he never won anything while at Mizzou. It's him that should draw your ire, not Sam Bradford. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Why do you have to be such an OU hater fraz? Nobody on here wishes Booger any ill will, even though he never won anything while at Mizzou. It's him that should draw your ire, not Sam Bradford. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

He's being fitted for his Super Bowl ring right now.

sedated
04-05-2010, 06:35 PM
When STL signed Bulger to that big deal, I said they would regret it within a few years, and got nonstop shit.

Bulger was a rpoduct of the system, both good and bad. Hmmm, I wonder why he was injured so often that last couple years. Its a good idea to get rid of him and invest the franchise in a QB coming off a season with serious injury questions.

sedated
04-05-2010, 06:36 PM
He's being fitted for his Super Bowl ring right now.

he really earned it, too.

BWillie
04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
I thought they were drafting Colt Mccoy ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I thought they were drafting Colt Mccoy ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

They still might, it is the Rams. Of course come draft day...with the 5th pick the Kansas City Chiefs select Quarterback Tim Tebow University of Florida ;)

BigRedChief
04-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Just out of curiousity would any here take Bulger over Cassel.I'd take him as a backup over Brittle Croyle

Chiefshrink
04-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I think the Rams saw how Stafford came in his 1st yr and did'nt have a meltdown and same with Matt Ryan and Flacco. They are hoping Bradford will do the same but hell their O-line is as bad as ours and this kid can't take a hit and your are going to be handing over 40mil plus to a kid who missed 3/4 of his senior season who very realistically has shown himself to be a "potatoe chip"????????????????????????:rolleyes: No way in hell if I am GM. I fix that O-line and get my QB next yr but then again HCs are really only given 2yrs to prove their worth anymore.:rolleyes:

Chiefshrink
04-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I'd take him as a backup over Brittle Croyle

I would as well.:thumb:

Ralphy Boy
04-05-2010, 10:45 PM

Martz & Cutler are in Chicago.

KCDC
04-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Trade Brodie to Buffalo for a 5th rounder and sign Bulger as a back up.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2010, 12:01 AM
If the Chiefs take Clausen now people are going to be comparing the Chiefs and Rams for years.

bigbucks24
04-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Trade Brodie to Buffalo for a 5th rounder and sign Bulger as a back up.

You really think anyone would give you more than a bag 'o donuts for Brokie? He may be talented, but he is......Brokie.

Warrior5
04-06-2010, 03:32 AM
So what exactly do they have in Denver to make people want to play there?

Fired the HOF coach? That's probably not it.

Shitcanned the franchise QB? That's probably not it, either.

Raising choking at the end of the season in a weak division to an artform? Nope.

Maybe they want to be the next punk gunned down in a drive-by? Probably not.

Maybe it's those bitchin unis?

King_Chief_Fan
04-06-2010, 06:03 AM

no......Denver might take him over Orton:D

OnTheWarpath15
04-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Looks like Bulger requested the release, and the Rams honored his request.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/322859FB05827329862576FD0009CD22?OpenDocument

For weeks — no, make that months —quarterback Marc Bulger kept his mouth shut and went about his business. He knew in all probability that his tenure in St. Louis was over but didn't raise a stink as the Rams sorted through their options at the position.

But after Sam Bradford's boffo pro day performance March 29 at the University of Oklahoma, Bulger contacted Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo. His message? Please let me go.

One week after Bradford's pro day, Bulger got his wish. The team released Bulger, the two-time Pro Bowler, on Monday — his 33rd birthday. The timing seems odd because all along it was assumed that the Rams would wait at least until the first day of the draft to release Bulger.

Then again, with the No. 1 overall pick, who are the Rams bluffing? No one can select ahead of them in the draft. And after Washington's Easter Sunday trade for Philadelphia QB Donovan McNabb, the Redskins lost their status as the team most likely to trade up to No. 1.

So with only A.J. Feeley, Keith Null and Mike Reilly now under contract at quarterback, it seems overwhelmingly obvious the Rams will take a QB in the draft. In fact, they could be ordering that blue-and-gold Sam Bradford jersey right now at Rams Park.

"I can't speak for the Rams," said Tom Condon, the St. Louis-based agent who represents both Bradford and Bulger. "Obviously, Sam Bradford's a very highly regarded player and I'm certain that the Rams have a lot of interest in him."

If not Bradford, who? Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen in an upset? A trade down and selection of Colt McCoy of Texas? Those seem to be the only non-Bradford options, however remote.

Knee-deep in draft meetings Monday, Spagnuolo and Rams general manager Billy Devaney issued only statements on Bulger's release.

"It is always hard to part ways with someone you care for and appreciate," Spagnuolo said. "I was fortunate as a first-year head coach to have Marc on our team. I will always be indebted to him for his work ethic, character and leadership. We wish him and his family nothing but the best."

Bulger was on hand for the first day of the team's offseason conditioning program at Rams Park, and was in the building as recently as late last week. But he knew this day was coming, and had known it for quite some time.

After taking over for Kurt Warner on a permanent basis in 2003, Bulger led the Rams to the NFC West championship that season. The team also made the playoffs in 2004.

But as the losses mounted, the talent level around him nose-dived. Head coaches and coordinators came and went over the succeeding seasons, and Bulger shouldered much of the blame for the team's declining fortunes.

"I would like to thank Marc Bulger for his professional attitude," Devaney said. "Since I arrived in 2008, Marc showed leadership on the field and in the community. We appreciate all that he has done and we wish him the best."

The combination of Bulger's declining production coupled with his big contract made him impossible to trade. He would've been due $8.5 million in base salary in 2010, as well as $9 million in 2011, $9 million in 2012 and $11.5 million in 2013.

Now that he has been released, that contract is void and Bulger is free to negotiate a new deal with other teams.

Condon told the Post-Dispatch he has "absolutely no concerns" about a market developing for Bulger elsewhere in the NFL.

"Marc's very well-regarded in the league," Condon said. "He's intelligent, he knows where the ball's supposed to go, and he's very accurate. It's just a matter of getting together with Marc and seeing what he wants to do."

Some of the potential destinations for Bulger have dried up since the start of the offseason. Denver traded for Brady Quinn, Arizona signed Derek Anderson, San Francisco added David Carr, Cleveland signed Jake Delhomme and Seattle traded for Charlie Whitehurst.

Chicago, where former Rams head coach Mike Martz is now the offensive coordinator, could be the most logical destination for Bulger, where he would have to go in as Jay Cutler's backup.

Martz is thought to be open to the possibility of working with Bulger. Bulger still credits Martz with most of his development as an NFL quarterback, although by the end of Martz's tenure in St. Louis (in 2005) Bulger had grown weary of Martz's hard-driving style. But that was five years ago.

Another possibility could be Pittsburgh, Bulger's hometown, where starter Ben Roethlisberger is facing legal troubles and a potential league suspension because of allegations of sexual assault.

Bulger did not return a phone message Monday, but Condon expressed gratitude to the Rams for how they ultimately handled Bulger's situation.

"I think the Rams have some very strong feelings about him," Condon said. "They like him as player and person. But they thought considering the current situation that this was the appropriate thing to do."

Mr. Laz
04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
You really think anyone would give you more than a bag 'o donuts for Brokie? He may be talented, but he is......Brokie.
actually i think Brodie Croyle's stock has gone up lately

he looked pretty good during his last playing time and he didn't get hurt.

i could see someone giving us a mid-round pick for him

i would mind trading Croyle and signing Bulger if we drafted Clausen. He would be a good influence on the QB position, in a mentor role, for both Cassel and Clausen.

Sure-Oz
04-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Wonder if chicago brings him in as a backup?