PDA

View Full Version : Is Schefter sniffing glue? Skins/Eagles/Bradford

LaChapelle
04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Did Eagles trade McNabb so Redskins wouldn't draft Bradford?

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 8, 2010 12:31 PM ET
PFT

Why did the Philadelphia Eagles trade their starting quarterback, Donovan McNabb, to the division rival Washington Redskins? The trade could have been motivated in part to keep Washington from drafting Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

At least, that's the theory floated by Adam Schefter of ESPN, who reports that multiple NFL executives firmly believe that the Eagles wanted to block the Redskins from taking Bradford. The executives Schefter talked to say the Eagles are high on Bradford and don't want to have to play against him twice a year for the next decade.

So the Eagles figured that if they shipped McNabb to Washington and took two draft picks from the Redskins in the process, they'd make the Redskins less likely to want to draft a quarterback and also take away some of the picks the Redskins would have needed to move up and take Bradford.

There's a perception among many league observers that teams shouldn't make trades within their divisions because it's dangerous to strengthen a divisional opponent's roster. But maybe the Eagles think that what really would have strengthened the Redskins is drafting Bradford.

OnTheWarpath15
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0MRmxfLuNto&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0MRmxfLuNto&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ebolapox
04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
:spock:

T-post Tom
04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
plausible. not likely, but makes for a good story.

Fish
04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Generally teams are smart enough to get their own picks right. It's beyond absurd to think that there is some big complicated conspiracy bullshit like this in which teams are trying to affect who other teams draft by making FA moves with said team. GMs aren't smart enough for that shit...

DaWolf
04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Doesn't make sense, because it's likely the Lambs take Bradford anyway, and if they don't, the Redskins could go ahead and draft Bradford and sit him for a year or two behind McNabb. So the trade didn't really guarantee anything...

salame
04-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I wish I got paid to piss in the wind

Spokane Chief Fan
04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I hear ya!

raybec 4
04-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I believe the Eagles only traded for McNabb to keep the Skins from drafting Tim Tebow so they wouldn't have to play against the power of the Lord twice a year.

Tbone8801
04-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I remember hearing that Mcnabb had a no trade clause in his contract, so he basically determined his own fate.

cabletech94
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0MRmxfLuNto&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0MRmxfLuNto&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

^^That's awesome!!!
I was thinking of that exact scene when reading Schefter ramblings.
I think that dude's lost it!

+1, no +2!!!!ROFL

Dylan
04-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Seems like the typical dumbass sportswriter's theory. I think its more that Philly feels that McNabb is on the downside of his career as he hits 34 this season -- And if that happens Philly would be stuck with him and his contract. Not to mention the young talent on the team in key positions played a huge roll in their decision. Reid has a history of going with the younger player over the veterans. trading veterans.

Philly wouldn't have made this trade if they thought McNabb could win them a championship. Plus, no way would Reid trade McNabb to Washington if he felt the Redskins would come back to beat them.

Washington has holes to fill. I'm guessing Shanahan isn't interested in rebuilding. In addition, Washington will go out and find more players. Most likely, they're not done yet.

Shanahan is looking to win now. Otherwise, what was the point in trading for McNabb?

This pretty much says that Washington drafts an OT in the first round. Did I read that Tebow may go in the 3rd round -- If so, they will pick up him along the way -- My guess -- the Eagles will look to draft a QB project :D