PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher climbs on the Berry wagon

LaChapelle
04-09-2010, 11:16 AM
First round: S Eric Berry

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1271

We’ll begin our look at the upcoming Chiefs draft pick by pick here and we’ll start with their first choice, which is fifth overall.
This choice is based on the following four players being selected before them: Sam Bradford, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy and Russell Okung. This decision may change if Okung, an offensive tackle, is still available to the Chiefs when they select.(..Or not)

I’m not suggesting this is necessarily what the Chiefs will do because, if nothing else, last year’s draft should have taught us that the Chiefs might well reach for a need rather than take the best player available.

But Berry, the safety from Tennessee, will be perhaps the best player available to the Chiefs and also fills a need as well.
Berry is versatile. He can cover and that’s a necessary skill for safeties in the modern NFL, which employs so many three-, four- and even five-receiver formations. He’s a leader, something the Chiefs could use more of on their defense. He is well-grounded and the kind of guy who can handle the $20-some million in guaranteed money the Chiefs or some other club will soon fork over to him.

Some people think number five is too high for a safety and I’m generally on board with that. But a lot of people familiar with Berry who I’ve talked to believe he’s the best safety prospect available in years. Some guys are good enough that you just break the rules for them.

''Berry is as close to a sure thing as a defensive back will be and he also offers great leadership and intangibles off the field,'' said Shawn Zobel, who runs a draft web site at www.draftheadquarters.com. "For a team in need of a game-changing face of their defense, Berry should be the pick.''

Agreed.

On Monday, we’ll look at the first of Kansas City’s two second-round picks, number 36 overall.

Submitted by Adam Teicher on April 9, 2010 - 8:21am.

The Bad Guy
04-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Well, so much for picking Berry.

TRR
04-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I believe the only way Berry isn't a Chief, is if KC trades down from five to the middle of the pack. Clausen could be selected, but not likely, Mclain fits the profile, but I'm nearly positive they don't reach two years in a row, and Pioli just doesn't take OT's that high, especially if Okung is off the board.

Time will tell...
Posted via Mobile Device

LaChapelle
04-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Unless they're both gone
who knows about the trade happy after a lack luster FA period
Berry or Clausen

suds79
04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
At this point I have no idea really what'll happen. Last year really proves that anything could happen.

Could we go LT? I suppose it's possible but I'm betting the Chiefs don't want to do that.

I think #1 on their list is to trade down. Then there's several options if they do.

If they don't trade down, I'm still guessing they'd take Berry but I wouldn't be surprised if they reached and took anyone of the following...

McClain, Williams, Clausen (not that he'd necessarily be a reach), Bryant.

Just glad it's finally getting close.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM
That's right Teicher; you and Pioli will BOW to the will of the intelligent Chiefs football fan and like it!

easymobee
04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I thought there was an article out a little while ago, where Pioli himself commented that he would almost never take a S that high in the draft.
Posted via Mobile Device