PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink BBQ Question

shitgoose
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Here in a couple of weeks my son Jack will be turning 1 and we are going to be having a party with friends and family. I am planning on smoking some butts and am looking for suggestions as to how much meat I might need.

My best estimate right now is about 30 adults and approximately 10 children.

I've never Q'd for this many people and I want their to be plenty. Probably going to grill hot dogs as well for the kids.

Thoughts?

Also thinking about doing an overnight cook and have never done that before either so any tips/suggestion would be appreciated. I am using a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Paging Reaper16...

MOhillbilly
04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
how big is your smoker? 18.5 in....geh.

I would do a from a third to a half pound of meat for every adult.

shitgoose
04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
how big is your smoker?

Its an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain

http://www.weber.com/grills/?glid=8&mid=27

Phobia
04-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I'd do about 20 lbs. It would be a shame to have to eat some leftovers.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-09-2010, 02:21 PM
If you want to make sure it's an occasion to remember, hit this guy up. He's local in KC. I've heard he's got the best Q around.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/fatheadphils?ref=ts

booyaf2
04-09-2010, 02:23 PM
20 lbs will yield about 14-16 lbs of cooked pork. That will be plenty for 30 adults if the kids are eating hot dogs. If you're doing an overnighter, allow plenty of time cause butts always seem to cook differently depending on weather, cut of meat, etc, so get them done in plenty of time then keep them in a cooler wrapped in foil and covered with a hot towel till serving time. You can hold the temp this way for a good 6 hours or better.

RJ
04-09-2010, 02:50 PM
I'd cook two large butts, about 10 pounds each. I've done a couple of overnights on a WSM lately and I'm finding that about 1 1/2 hours per pound is about right. Don't be afraid to use a little more fuel than normal. Better it cooks a little higher than normal than to drop down too low. The first one I did I had to add some lit coals the next morning, the second one I was wiser and just started it out hotter. They both came out great, as good as I've ever made.

Another thing.....plenty of hot water in the pan. The nights are still a little cool.

It's actually pretty damn simple.

Stewie
04-09-2010, 02:55 PM
You can't fuck up butts on a WSM. It's bulletproof.

Gonzo
04-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Last year for my boys 1st b-day I smoked 14 racks of baby backs, a pork butt and some burnt ends. I grilled some burgers and dogs for the kids as well. We had about 25 people over and there wasn't much in the way of leftovers.
Posted via Mobile Device

RJ
04-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Last year for my boys 1st b-day I smoked 14 racks of baby backs, a pork butt and some burnt ends. I grilled some burgers and dogs for the kids as well. We had about 25 people over and there wasn't much in the way of leftovers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Either you're a great cook or you have really hungry friends.

Actually, that sounds about right. Seems like no matter how much I grill it's never too much.

Gonzo
04-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Either you're a great cook or you have really hungry friends.

Actually, that sounds about right. Seems like no matter how much I grill it's never too much.

Yes to both.
You always send leftovers home with people too. That's just good juju.
Posted via Mobile Device

shitgoose
04-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

The ol' ball and chain wants me to smoke some chicken as well. Anyone have a good chicken rub/recipe they might want to share?

RJ
04-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

The ol' ball and chain wants me to smoke some chicken as well. Anyone have a good chicken rub/recipe they might want to share?

I made some really good smoked chicken on my Weber kettle grill last night. The ingredients were one whole chicken about 3 1/2 pounds, some salt and pepper and a little olive oil.

I dumped a 3/4 full chimney starter along with 2 chunks of hickory that had been smoked about an hour on one side of the grill. I put the chicken on the other side. I came back in an hour and sprayed it with apple juice. I came back in another hour and it was done, internal temp about 185. I think I like smoked chicken more from the kettle grill than the WSM.

crispystl
04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
how big is your smoker? 18.5 in....geh.

I would do a from a third to a half pound of meat for every adult.

Yeah, I'm not the bbq man like others on here, but I supervise cooks and servers. Even for the VIPS we cater to we never serve over 8 oz per person, and typically not over six, however at a laid back bbq people are probably going to eat a lot. Eight oz is more than you probably imagine though.

Gonzo
04-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I made some really good smoked chicken on my Weber kettle grill last night. The ingredients were one whole chicken about 3 1/2 pounds, some salt and pepper and a little olive oil.

I dumped a 3/4 full chimney starter along with 2 chunks of hickory that had been smoked about an hour on one side of the grill. I put the chicken on the other side. I came back in an hour and sprayed it with apple juice. I came back in another hour and it was done, internal temp about 185. I think I like smoked chicken more from the kettle grill than the WSM.

I always thought that the smoke from those fire starter logs was toxic. They put a big, "do not use for cooking" warning on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
When you see a thread titled "BBQ Question", and it starts with "Here in a couple of weeks my son Jack will be turning 1", your mind goes to some very dark places.

KcMizzou
04-09-2010, 05:55 PM
When you see a thread titled "BBQ Question", and it starts with "Here in a couple of weeks my son Jack will be turning 1", your mind goes to some very dark places.LMAO

shitgoose
04-09-2010, 07:12 PM
When you see a thread titled "BBQ Question", and it starts with "Here in a couple of weeks my son Jack will be turning 1", your mind goes to some very dark places.

ROFL

RJ
04-09-2010, 07:25 PM
I always thought that the smoke from those fire starter logs was toxic. They put a big, "do not use for cooking" warning on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire starter logs? You lost me there.

Gonzo
04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Fire starter logs? You lost me there.

I must have misunderstood "chimney starter".
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
04-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
I think he meant one of these:

http://images.surlatable.com/surlatable/images/en_US//local/products/detail/490078.jpg

RJ
04-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay, I gotcha. I was talking about one of these dudes. I've never used anything else since I bought one a few years back.

http://i42.tinypic.com/34o313a.jpg