PDA

View Full Version : Sports Science - What Makes Suh So Dominant

Chiefnj2
04-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Pretty cool video and analysis:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/43405/the-sport-science-of-ndamukong-suh

The Franchise
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
The Lions would be dumb not to take him.

philfree
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM

If he slips to five we'd be dumb not to take him yet there are those who would pass because it's not a percieved need.

PhilFree:arrow:

The Franchise
04-12-2010, 11:29 AM
If he slips to five we'd be dumb not to take him yet there are those who would pass because it's not a percieved need.

Where the fuck does he fit in our defense? If you draft Suh....then you better trade Jackson.

RedThat
04-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I think he is the best player to come out of this draft. He's just a freak, an absolute freak.

philfree
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Where the **** does he fit in our defense? If you draft Suh....then you better trade Jackson.

Trade Dorsey trade Jackson I really don't care but to hand Suh to another team would be foolish. Here have a possible hall of famer. You can build a D around him wether he plays DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4. He's going to require a double team no matter where he plays and that still ain't gonna be enough. But that don't matter hell let's give him to the Raiders!

CoMoChief
04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Trade Dorsey trade Jackson I really don't care but to hand Suh to another team would be foolish. Here have a possible hall of famer. You can build a D around him wether he plays DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4. He's going to require a double team no matter where he plays and that still ain't gonna be enough. But that don't matter hell let's give him to the Raiders!

When has he ever played DE in a 3-4?

philfree
04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
When has he ever played DE in a 3-4?

I don't think it really matters but like I said let's watch him have a great career for another team. That'll be fun.

ToxSocks
04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
With this much hype, this dude is bound to disappoint.

Ebolapox
04-12-2010, 01:03 PM

a top ten draft pick DT, disappoint? nah, never happen. :spock:

BigCatDaddy
04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
What's crazy is there is probably a 50/50 chance he will be there when we pick.

Ralphy Boy
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM

I don't think so. It would be a miss by every analyst. Its one thing to say that McCoy might be better, but Suh will be far from a bust.

What's crazy is there is probably a 50/50 chance he will be there when we pick.

Detroit would have to take a OT, they won't. This draft is deep on OT's.

I don't think he makes it past the Redskins in any scenario. They would either take him or trade down, with him on the board, to a team that wants him. Either way, he won't be there at 5. You think Cleveland wouldn't move up to take him?

Detroit won't pass. Elite LT prospects are rare, but a DT/DE/NT prospect like Suh is very rare. You should never compare a kid to Reggie White, yet there have been several comparisons to him. Not saying he will be, but he's the best defensive linemen prospect I've seen come out of the draft. I've never been as sure about a d-linemen as I am him. I was pretty freaking sure about John Henderson, but not like I am Suh.

He's bonafide.;)

BigCatDaddy
04-12-2010, 03:08 PM
It Suh doesn't slip it will be McCoy then. Okung will go top 3 and then the Redskins will take Williams at 4.

Bowser
04-12-2010, 03:14 PM

While I won't argue that, I think they are going with Okung. Going against Jared Allen and Julius Peppers repeatedly will make you rethink your priorities, and you'd think that a top priority would be to make sure their QBotF doesn't get broken into itsy bitsy pieces.

ToxSocks
04-12-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't think so. It would be a miss by every analyst. Its one thing to say that McCoy might be better, but Suh will be far from a bust.

*Cough* Dorsey *Cough*

ToxSocks
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
It Suh doesn't slip it will be McCoy then. Okung will go top 3 and then the Redskins will take Williams at 4.

Mes athinking that Suh falls to #5, Chiefs trade down with Cleveland and pick up an extra 2nd rnder, Draft Berry at 7 (seattle is going Spiller) and trade back into the 1st to nab Clausen and still have picks in the 2nd.

Ughhh...... :whatever that whacking-off smiley is:

Pasta Little Brioni
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
*Cough* Dorsey *Cough*

Dorsey is far from a bust at this point.

ToxSocks
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Dorsey is far from a bust at this point.

I never said bust. I said disapointment. Right now, he's a disappointment.

T-post Tom
04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Where the **** does he fit in our defense? If you draft Suh....then you better trade Jackson.

If Suh is there, don't be surprised to see the Chiefs take him. Also, don't be surprised to see the Chiefs trade Dorsey. Suh would fit as a NT in the 3-4 much better than Dorsey or McCoy. They will NOT trade Jackson.

ToxSocks
04-12-2010, 05:06 PM
If Suh is there, don't be surprised to see the Chiefs take him. Also, don't be surprised to see the Chiefs trade Dorsey. Suh would fit as a NT in the 3-4 much better than Dorsey or McCoy. They will NOT trade Jackson.

They wouldn't take him. They would trade back with someone who would take him. It's the Chiefs dream trade down scenario.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-12-2010, 05:08 PM

3 straight top 5 picks on guys who ended up being 3-4 ends ROFL

Dave Lane
04-12-2010, 05:22 PM
It would take me 3 seconds to get my card in if Suh was there. And Dorsey can get traded or cut for all I care. Suh is a once in a lifetime freak of nature.

T-post Tom
04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
3 straight top 5 picks on guys who ended up being 3-4 ends ROFL

Suh would be the NT and Dorsey will end up being a DT in a 4-3 scheme if traded. I agree, that's a lot of picks for the D-line, but Dorsey is the unfortunate victim of a regime/scheme change. Even though he played well at the end of the season, he's still a bad fit for the 3-4. Detroit seems like a probable landing spot if he gets traded.

Ebolapox
04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I still laugh how you impatient cretins forget that dorsey was suh before suh was suh. he was the can't miss once a decade defensive tackle talent. now, two years out of position, two terrible defensive coordinators, a terrible d-line coach and some above average play, you're ready to give up on him. recall, the third year is when defensive linemen generally get things figured out. if we trade him, we're basically taking all the risk for making that top five d-line pick and giving all the reward to some other team for cheap.

and when suh is average at best the first few years in the league, will you want to trade him too? for fuck's sake, people.

DJ's left nut
04-12-2010, 11:06 PM

I think you mean "switch to a 4-3".

Titty Meat
04-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Bo Pelini.

Ebolapox
04-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I think you mean "switch to a 4-3".

in a perfect world, you could do this. hell, get spikes in the middle rounds and a decent safety (or hope that morgan can step up, or hope that taylor mays falls) and you're freaking golden.

won't happen though. we're married to the 3-4

Titty Meat
04-12-2010, 11:34 PM
*Cough* Dorsey *Cough*

Suh is nothing like Dorsey what are you talking about?

BossChief
04-13-2010, 04:34 AM
Suh started dominating competition once they made him a 2 gap tackle halfway through his junior year. That means that he has had similar responsibility to any of our DL positions.

He wasnt a game changer as a 1 gap defender. He was good, but not great.

He became great when he started dealing with responsibilities similar to what he would be doing here as an end -or- nose tackle.

I wonder how he would do as a NT in this defense and wonder what specifically makes people think he couldn't excel at it. The job entitles the player to hold the point and have a good anchor...Suh has one of the best I have ever seen. It requires the player to help disrupt pass plays in a way that demands a double team...check.

I mean really, once Dorsey, Suh and Jackson got up to speed...who the fuck do you try to block with one guy on that 3 man line? How do you keep Hali off your quarterback and block Suh/Dorsey?

If for some reason we decided to take him and switch back to the 4-3 defense, a defensive line of

Jackson
Suh
Dorsey
Hali

could be one of the better to line up in the NFL for quite some time.

Suh still being there at 5 is a pipe dream, but I would love for him to be there and for us to end up with him. He will be a very special player, especially if he gets to play for Romeo who is known for developing some elite talents at the position since Parcells was with the Giants.

BossChief
04-13-2010, 04:37 AM
Bo Pelini.

I bet 90% of posters here dont even know why you posted this.

Lono
04-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm sorry, anyone who watches college football and tries to say that Dorsey was as good as Suh, just didn't watch enough.

Titty Meat
04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I bet 90% of posters here dont even know why you posted this.

Well the thread title asks what makes Suh so dominate and yes they did that sports science study and all but allow me to explain something. Before Bo came to Lincoln Suh was a good player but not a great dominate player. The defense was one of the worst in the country when Bo took over it became one of the best in just two years. I think you have to give him some credit when it comes to Suh also look at a guy like Jarred Crick who was a three star recruit and IMO will no doubt be a first round pick too. Look at Matt O'Hanlon who was a walk on safety and now will have a chance at the NFL, Prince Amakarah who was a WR converted to CB and will be in the NFL. So I give Bo alot of credit because the guy knows how to coach defense and it was no coincidence he was a position coach in the NFL.

Titty Meat
04-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Thats why I also believe coaching at the NFL is important. I think Dorsey would have been a much better play had he had coaching from a team like the Giants. I hope the Lions don't draft Suh Gunther could fuck him up.