PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays as an OLB in round 2.

Coogs
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I was watching Path to the Draft or Total Access this weekend, and the topic at hand was Taylor Mays. The general consensus was that he could wind up being a beast in the 3-4 as an OLB if you just gave him two things to do. Either rush the passer, or cover the TE. Nothing more.

Could be just what we need at 36. Faster than most all of the DE's that are converting to the OLB position, and already has some skills in coverage.

:shrug:

Gosselin does not have him listed in his top 32 either... and ost of the NFLNetwork folks had him late 1st early 2nd.

Mecca
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Yea lets take a guy who's use to playing deep safety and have him rush the passer where he has to beat OT's, that makes a ton of sense right?

CupidStunt
04-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Ridiculously bad idea. There's not a single rush backer in the league near 230lb. Guy would get embarrassed trying to rush the QB.

Jesus.

Mecca
04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Now I'm guessing they'd say he'd gain weight but still this is like just assuming anyone can rush the passer.

Coogs
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Yea lets take a guy who's use to playing deep safety and have him rush the passer where he has to beat OT's, that makes a ton of sense right?

They just all seemed to think OLB is going to be where Mays winds up. Almost to a man. They said Mays takes too long to process the information on reading a play. They all felt like you limit his thought processing to rush the passer or cover the TE, and he could be very good.

I know your feelings on Mays Mecca. I'm just going with what the pundits were tossing out there. Mays could be so fast off the edge, the O-linemen might never catch up to him. Not even Clady. ;)

The Franchise
04-12-2010, 02:09 PM
If you're going to move him to a LB position....which is stupid anyways.....

You move him to the WLB position in a 4-3.

Titty Meat
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM
It was prolly Bucky Brooks saying this shit.

Coogs
04-12-2010, 02:21 PM
It was prolly Bucky Brooks saying this shit.

It was the whole crew. They did say WLB I believe instead of OLB, but hey, 4.3 speed comming off the edge in a pass first league could be an OK thing.

aturnis
04-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Ridiculously bad idea. There's not a single rush backer in the league near 230lb. Guy would get embarrassed trying to rush the QB.

Jesus.

The Packers Brad Jones is 232lbs. and there are quite a few in the low 240's. The question would be how much room does Mays have on his frame?

ToxSocks
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Or just draft him and have him play SS. I think people are just forgetting how to design creative defenses around guys with particular skill sets.

Imagine drafting Berry and Mays.....the amount of versatility you would get in your secondary would be unreal.

CupidStunt
04-12-2010, 03:37 PM
The Packers Brad Jones is 232lbs.

Who?

Mecca
04-12-2010, 03:38 PM
It's the guy who played when Kampman got injured.

bowener
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Or just draft him and have him play SS. I think people are just forgetting how to design creative defenses around guys with particular skill sets.

Imagine drafting Berry and Mays.....the amount of versatility you would get in your secondary would be unreal.

If there was a realistic possibility of this happening, honestly I don't know what I would do if the Chiefs drafted both of them... somewhere an erection would occur, but other than that, I really have no fucking clue.

Hammock Parties
04-12-2010, 04:26 PM
This is great, let's take a safety and try to teach him pass rush moves against offensive tackles?

Mr. Laz
04-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Mays being a linebacker in the pros

where have i heard this before? :hmmm:

Mr. Laz
04-12-2010, 06:45 PM

because the league is going so much to the pass it's really hard to design a defensive scheme for a safety that can't cover and seems to read the play slowly.

all the Mays infatuation is manufactured crap ... a coach saw a athletic freak and slapped him at safety. In the pros you need more than that.

RustShack
04-12-2010, 09:18 PM
My balls will burst and my cock will be dripping cum for the next 12 years if we land Mays in the second.

Saccopoo
04-13-2010, 04:08 AM
This is great, let's take a safety and try to teach him pass rush moves against offensive tackles?

http://www.xcomment.com/g3/img/Brian_Urlacher_2083107050948.gif

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-13-2010, 05:34 AM
They just all seemed to think OLB is going to be where Mays winds up. Almost to a man. They said Mays takes too long to process the information on reading a play. They all felt like you limit his thought processing to rush the passer or cover the TE, and he could be very good.

I know your feelings on Mays Mecca. I'm just going with what the pundits were tossing out there. Mays could be so fast off the edge, the O-linemen might never catch up to him. Not even Clady. ;)

I personally have thought this too. But since Mecca says its stupid I caught myself re examing my thought process and in the end I just decided to go back to doing what I do best.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2010, 06:57 AM
http://www.xcomment.com/g3/img/Brian_Urlacher_2083107050948.gif

Was this a serious post?

Brian Urlacher is a 4-3 MLB.

Coogs
04-16-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm been mulling this one over all week. OLB's in the 3-4 are almost always converted players anyway. Converted DE's moving to OLB. DE's that are required to run down field and cover receivers.

Now to me, it makes just as much sense to convert someone like Mays who already has some cover skills and blazing speed to that same spot. If Jackson does his job and occupies two offensive linemen, Mays comming off that corner, or shooting the gap on a loop would be a QB's nightmare.

I still see some merit to this switch.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Obama sees merit in talking to terrorists.

Coogs
04-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Obama sees merit in talking to terrorists.

Nice one.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Was this a serious post?

Brian Urlacher is a 4-3 MLB.

Sure it's serious. Urlacher was a safety in college that effectively made the transition to a linebacking position. I don't see why Mays couldn't be the same type of guy.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Sure it's serious. Urlacher was a safety in college that effectively made the transition to a linebacking position. I don't see why Mays couldn't be the same type of guy.

So basically you want to sit there and completely ignore the canyon-sized difference in a 4-3 MLB and a 3-4 OLB.

And you wonder why people around here think you're a moron?

The Franchise
04-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Because they're different LB positions.

The Franchise
04-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Urlacher = 6-3, 258 pounds coming out.
Mays = 6-3, 230 pounds coming out.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2010, 12:18 PM

Christ, was Urlacher really a 260-pound safety?

He must have killed guys in college.

The Franchise
04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Christ, was Urlacher really a 260-pound safety?

He must have killed guys in college.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_13_224/ai_61573735/

Blick
04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm been mulling this one over all week. OLB's in the 3-4 are almost always converted players anyway. Converted DE's moving to OLB. DE's that are required to run down field and cover receivers.

Now to me, it makes just as much sense to convert someone like Mays who already has some cover skills and blazing speed to that same spot. If Jackson does his job and occupies two offensive linemen, Mays comming off that corner, or shooting the gap on a loop would be a QB's nightmare.

I still see some merit to this switch.

You can't compare the transition that DE's make to the change that a safety would have to make. DE's are used to rushing the passer and engaging with offensive linemen. Mays lined up a million yards from the line of scrimmage in college. Plus, he's stiff and he plays high, IMO. He would get flat out dominated leverage wise in the trenches.

The Franchise
04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
The question, "What is he?" has not been asked with this degree of frequency since Tiger Woods found fame. So what is Brian Urlacher, one of the top defensive players available in next month's draft?

Well, if he were a musical instrument, he'd be a synthesizer, capable of playing any part the bandleader might call for. In normal mode for New Mexico last season, he was a free safety. He made All-American and averaged 14 tackles a game.

Press a button and he became an inside linebacker. He started there two previous seasons and played there sporadically last year. He was named defensive player of the game at that position in the Senior Bowl.

Flip this lever and he was a tight end, slot receiver or fullback. He caught seven of nine passes thrown to him last year, six for touchdowns.

Depress these keys, and he played punt and kick returner. He averaged 15.8 yards per punt return last year, which would have ranked eighth in the NCAA among qualifiers (Urlacher was four returns short of qualifying).

Hit this switch and he was a special teams gunner. "He amazed me with the effort and speed he went down the field with on special teams plays in the Senior Bowl," said Chiefs coach Gunther Cunningham, who presided over the South team on which Urlacher played. Cunningham was duly impressed with all phases of Urlacher's game.

He also played TE and returned kicks.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 12:24 PM
So basically you want to sit there and completely ignore the canyon-sized difference in a 4-3 MLB and a 3-4 OLB.

And you wonder why people around here think you're a moron?

Actually, I've come to realize that the only people around here that think I'm a moron are people who most people think are morons other than the the morons themselves who most likely consider themselves to be people versus actually being morons.

And how would I be "ignoring" the difference between MLB and OLB? I simply gave an example of a college safety who was first round material based on his atheticism and skills being transitioned forward to the linebacking level. Personally, I could see Mays as a better 4-3 SAM or Mike, or a 3-4 Will versus a 3-4 Jack backer based on his experience in coverage as a safety in college.

But as it relates to Mays, if, in this hypothetical situation, he is put in as a linebacker, it really doesn't matter if it's a 4-3 Mike or a 3-4 Jack. They guy is being envisioned there (wherever) due to his size and speed along with his perceived lack of coverage skills as it relates to the NFL level. It really doesn't matter one way or the other in terms of this thread/conversation, does it?

Mr. Laz
04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Mays = 6-3, 230 pounds coming out.Mays could easily put on 10-15lbs imo.

he would be an above average linebacker in coverage instead of below average safety in coverage. Does anyone really want to grab a safety with "coverage" as his issue?

Mays would have elite speed as a linebacker(even with added weight) and he would be an elite coverage linebacker. If he can hold the point of attack as a linebacker he would be a LB stud.

which is more likely to happen:

1. Mays gets quicker and more fluid so his coverage ability improves?

or

2. Mays bulks up and learns to hold the point of attack as a linebacker?

imo #2 is the much better bet

maybe he will work out as a safety ... he's quite the athlete. But no way do i want my team using a 1st round pick for the experiment.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 12:33 PM

Urlacher bulked up right after his senior year because most of the NFL teams were projecting him as a linebacker at the next level. He played around 230 in college.

It's been mentioned around here that the USC coaches and staff really have to stay on top of Mays because he could add another 20 lbs. to his frame almost overnight.

They are pretty much the same type of player - free safeties who were utilized as free range type of guys in the defensive backfield that weren't considered to have the pass coverage skills that would allow them to play the FS position in the NFL.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2010, 12:36 PM
But as it relates to Mays, if, in this hypothetical situation, he is put in as a linebacker, it really doesn't matter if it's a 4-3 Mike or a 3-4 Jack.

Yes it does.

Mays would get fucking killed by offensive tackles. He would be invisible.

Huge waste of his potential. If you want to put him at 4-3 OLB, fine. If you want to see if he can be the next Urlacher, fine.

But suggesting he can rush the passer and hold the point against 340-pound tackles = INSANITY

Coogs
04-16-2010, 12:40 PM
You can't compare the transition that DE's make to the change that a safety would have to make. DE's are used to rushing the passer and engaging with offensive linemen. Mays lined up a million yards from the line of scrimmage in college. Plus, he's stiff and he plays high, IMO. He would get flat out dominated leverage wise in the trenches.

If he gets engaged, yes I know what you are saying. However, if he is so damn fast off the edge that the RT can not catch up with him... see Chiefs 2009 highlights, any game will do... he could re-define what the OLB position could become.

Coogs
04-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes it does.

Mays would get fucking killed by offensive tackles. He would be invisible.

Huge waste of his potential. If you want to put him at 4-3 OLB, fine. If you want to see if he can be the next Urlacher, fine.

But suggesting he can rush the passer and hold the point against 340-pound tackles = INSANITY

That is supposed to be Jacksons job. Jackson, the NT, and Dorsey are suppose to all be strong enough that they require 2 guys to hold them back. If that is the case, your LB's should be free to roam... so to speak.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2010, 12:43 PM
If he gets engaged, yes I know what you are saying. However, if he is so damn fast off the edge that the RT can not catch up with him... see Chiefs 2009 highlights, any game will do... he could re-define what the OLB position could become.

Now Taylor Mays is Derrick Thomas.

Coogs
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Now Taylor Mays is Derrick Thomas.

And why not? Damn 4.3 speed comming around the corner.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
And why not? Damn 4.3 speed comming around the corner.

If every schmuck who ran a 4.3 could get to the quarterback in harmony with his timed speed every defensive coordinator in the league would be running 180-pound nickel backs at quarterbacks on every third down.

He's fast! No one will ever touch him!

Real football doesn't work that way.

Saccopoo
04-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Yes it does.

Mays would get ****ing killed by offensive tackles. He would be invisible.

Almost to a man, OLB's, even the larger 3-4 jack backers, can't hold or push the point of attack one on one against NFL offensive tackles. It's why your typical 3-4 nose tackle is a 350 lbs. mammoth that requires a double team. It's why your five and seven tech defensive ends are huge and long in order to require a tackle to help out.

And I'm pretty certain that if Mays was moved up to the next level he would be asked/expected to add a couple of pounds to his frame. I don't think that there is anyone who realistically envisions him playing the 3-4 OLB spot at 230 lbs. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm sure that he'd be sat down in front of a dish of mashed potatoes and expected to fill the frame out a bit.

The problem is, some people can't go beyond the literal.

Coogs
04-16-2010, 01:02 PM
If every schmuck who ran a 4.3 could get to the quarterback in harmony with his timed speed every defensive coordinator in the league would be running 180-pound nickel backs at quarterbacks on every third down.

He's fast! No one will ever touch him!

Real football doesn't work that way.

Mays doesn't weigh 180 pouds. And there are not that many smucks that can actually run a 4.3.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Mays doesn't weigh 180 pouds. And there are not that many smucks that can actually run a 4.3.

But if they CAN! SUPER PASS RUSHER EXTRAORDINAIRE!

:shake:

KCrockaholic
04-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Maybe as an ILB in a 34... But not as a rushbacker IMO.

Coogs
04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
But if they CAN! SUPER PASS RUSHER EXTRAORDINAIRE!

:shake:

It is easy to see why you work for WPI.

Mr. Laz
04-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Maybe as an ILB in a 34... But not as a rushbacker IMO.
the key is to protect Mays as a linebacker so that he can use is speed to run sideline-to-sideline.

think donnie edwards-ish

Hammock Parties
04-16-2010, 01:50 PM
It is easy to see why you work for WPI.

Give me a fucking break, coogs. Taylor Mays will never play rushbacker in the NFL. It's one of the dumbest fucking ideas in this entire draft forum. Even if he could hold up physically, the guy hasn't developed even a single pass rush move and doesn't have a clue about battling with offensive tackles. How long do you think it's gonna take him to even learn the basics? A year? Two?

Meanwhile, you could be playing him at safety or 4-3 will and actually getting PRODUCTION out of him. But fuck that. You want to spend the 36th pick in the entire draft on an insanely talented player and then radically experiment with him in a position he's never played before in his entire life.

It's dumb as shit.

Your entire argument for putting this guy at outside linebacker is "he's big! he's fast!"

It reeks of ignorance.

Coogs
04-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Give me a fucking break, coogs. Taylor Mays will never play rushbacker in the NFL. It's one of the dumbest fucking ideas in this entire draft forum. Even if he could hold up physically, the guy hasn't developed even a single pass rush move and doesn't have a clue about battling with offensive tackles. How long do you think it's gonna take him to even learn the basics? A year? Two?

Meanwhile, you could be playing him at safety or 4-3 will and actually getting PRODUCTION out of him. But fuck that. You want to spend the 36th pick in the entire draft on an insanely talented player and then radically experiment with him in a position he's never played before in his entire life.

It's dumb as shit.

Your entire argument for putting this guy at outside linebacker is "he's big! he's fast!"

It reeks of ignorance.

Did you read the OP? This was not me who came up with this idea.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2010, 02:44 PM
And yet you are endorsing it.

Coogs
04-17-2010, 07:24 AM
And yet you are endorsing it.

:shrug: I'm giving the idea some thought anyway instead of just dismissing it.
A freakish damn athlete comming off of the edge where your DE is good enough to allow him to run free makes a bit of sense to me. And the same guy is fast enough and talented enough to play pass defense when not rushing the passer. Call me stupid if you like... but this idea does makes some sense to me.