PDA

View Full Version : New mock, figured it's about that time

Mecca
04-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I might do another one after this since things change rapidly in the week before the draft but I figure it's worth taking a crack at it again.

1. St. Louis Rams-Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
This pick has become blatantly obvious at this point. The Rams will break their string of being the longest team in the league without using a 1st on a QB, it'll be the first one since 67. Is it the proper pick or the right pick, time will tell on that I personally think this pick carries a ton of risk. Personally I see a lot of things with Bradford that if he doesn't make it people will look back and wonder how things we're missed when in reality they were just ignored.

2. Detroit Lions-Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
For a team that needs talent in general you don't pass on one of the couple of elite players in the draft in favor of positional value. No matter how badly some say they need a LT, Okung is not one of the best players in the draft Suh is. Schwartz has continually preached talent, so he sticks with that theme here and gets his new version of Haynesworth, this pick could go McCoy but it's one of the DT's without a doubt.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers-Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
Another easy pick, Tampa may prefer Suh but McCoy is a fine consolation prize. It's pretty obvious they'll take whichever DT is left after Detroit as they should. Some feel McCoy actually translates to the pro game better than Suh does and may see more early success.

4. Washington Redskins-Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
While I may personally feel Okung is not worth a top 5 pick, the Redskins have absolutely painted themselves into a corner with the move for McNabb. They have nothing on the line and with very few draft picks they have no choice but to take Okung here. Okung will likely be a solid yet unspectacular player at LT for a long time, maybe a slightly worse version of Samuels.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I split that part off because to me those 4 picks are locked, 99.9% sure that's how it plays out. Now these next few picks I believe there will be some trades so I will try to get the player with the team I think he'll go to and explain out how I think that'll happen.

5. Kansas City Chiefs-Rolando McClain, MLB, Alabama
I know I've been saying this would be the pick since about January and I'm back with that after a bit of fluctuation. Now let me clarify I don't think this will be the pick at 5, I believe the Chiefs will likely drop with the Browns, Buffalo is a bit to cheap to move up to 5 to pay the contract that goes with it. Basically Pioli takes a "right 53" player who plays a position of immediate impact and gets a team leader. Basically filling what he wants and placating fans with "look he's producing right away. This was always my first instinct for the pick so I'll trust that. I believe this is the pick for the Chiefs at 7 or 9.

6. Seattle Seahawks-CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
With the thought that Berry would go to Cleveland at 5, this pick is a no brainer in my view. Seattle is a slow team with a serious lack of playmakers all over the field. After coaching Reggie Bush in college Carroll can not resist Spiller.

7. Cleveland Browns-Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
This is without a doubt Cleveland's guy in the draft, so much so if the Chiefs do offer them the pick they'll jump on it. If Berry somehow does go before them I wouldn't be stunned to see them take Earl Thomas or some major reach for Odrick, Cleveland is as weird about drafting as the Chiefs are. In the end Berry is their guy and they make out well with the pick.

8. Oakland Raiders-Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
The Raiders mix need with value and with athleticism after the Williams combine workout and take him here. I'm not a huge fan of Williams but this pick is a better one for the Raiders than most other scenarios out there.

9. Buffalo Bills-Jimmy Clausen, QB, Buffalo
Clausen falling to this pick is a dream for a team that has a new coach and GM without a player to build around. This should without a doubt be the pick if Buffalo passes they really do deserve to be a doormat franchise, but the same can be said for Cleveland in this scenario but at least they get Berry.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars-Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Jacksonville could go any number of directions but they have a GM who stresses BPA and positional value so this is where it has to be. Morgan is the safest end so I say they lean that way after getting burned on the high risk high reward prospect that Harvey was.

11. Denver Broncos-Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Williams is flying up boards and looks to be the likely pick if he falls here. Jamal Williams at his age and injury issues is not the answer so Denver goes back to Tennessee once again for a 1st round pick..I'm not completely sold on his ability to play the nose but Denver seems to not care about stuff like that with making picks like Robert Ayers.

12. Miami Dolphins-Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan
Parcells has an affinity for drafting LB's, with the loss of Porter getting a pass rusher is now a premium for this team. Personally I think this pick should be Dez Bryant with the trash they have at WR but I don't see them taking back to back character issue guys in the 1st(Vontae Davis).

13. San Francisco 49ers-Joe Haden, CB, Florida
This team would love to have Haden land in this spot, physical and good in man, fits the scheme and fills a need. Profiles very similar to Leon Hall.

14. Seattle Seahawks-Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Dez is to talented to not be a top 15 pick, this is his floor in my view. Carroll would take this chance being a players coach and feeling he can work with an elite talent, the Seahawks now have 2 possible elite playmakers with their first 2 picks, with Alex Gibbs on staff they feel they can fix the line with later picks.

15. New York Giants-Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
With bringing in Fewell to be the DC and the signing of Rolle, LB jumped to the forefront of this teams needs. Weatherspoon brings a vocal leadership that can replace Pierce and he is capable of playing all 3 LB spots, basically a perfect fit, his personality could lead to NFL stardom in that market.

16. Tennessee Titans-Jason Pierre Paul, DE, South Florida
I consider this the perfect landing spot for JPP, an elite talent with little experience going to a team who's DL coach has gotten the most out of every player he's worked with, he might be able to turn this guy into a true star.

17. San Francisco 49ers-Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Not personally a huge fan of Bulaga but for a team with a need at OT and it likely being RT he's a solid fit here.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers-DeMaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
Thomas has a ton of first round buzz and with the trade of Holmes this seems like a very logical fit now.

19. Atlanta Falcons-Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
Even though they signed Robinson they still have a gaping hole at the other CB spot and I don't think they want to worry about this position again for awhile.

20. Houston Texas-Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
A team that is built around offense keeps going offense. Matthews is an absolute perfect fit in this offense, would probably win rookie of the year if he went here.

21. Cincinnati Bengals-Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
Just the kind of ball hawking playmaking FS that would fit well in the Bengals secondary, you'd think D Thomas would be considered as this team needs a big play WR but the Steelers beat them to that punch.

22. New England Patriots-Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State
This team really felt the affect of losing Seymour and now Jarvis Green is also gone, they don't pass on Odrick who is everything NE likes in DE's in his size and talent.

23. Green Bay Packers-Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
If this scenario really plays out the Packers would run up to the podium in glee. The offseason has hurt Davis more than just about any other player but he has the talent to be the best OT in this draft, outstanding pick here.

24. Philadelphia Eagles-Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
Iupati is the exact type of lineman that Andy Reid loves, with the cutting of Shawn Andrews I see this guy stepping in at RG from day one.

25. Baltimore Ravens-Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
Baltimore once again goes BPA adding yet another weapon to the offense. With a 6'6 QB and a 6'6 TE that should be very scary down the middle, Gresham doesn't have to contribute right away with Heap still in the mix but he is declining.

26. Arizona Cardinals-Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
Even with signing Porter this team needs pass rushers so adding Kindle as this spot is a great pick.

27. Dallas Cowboys-Taylor Mays, S, USC
Mays has to much "stuff" for Jones to pass on, after cutting Hamlin the Cowboys are happy to grab Mays here.

28. San Diego Chargers-Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
With Matthews off the board San Diego addresses their other huge need and takes a nose tackle.

29. New York Jets-Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU
Rex Ryan loves CB's and pass rushers, the move was made for a CB, and a move was made for a WR, that leaves them to take the pass rusher with this pick.

30. Minnesota Vikings-Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
Minnesota is generally a BPA drafting team and with how badly their interior line struggled this past year this pick is perfect for them. The only thing that could offset it is the injury to Cedric Griffin means they badly need a CB.

31. Indianapolis Colts-Rodger Saffold, OT Indiana
Not very thrilled that Pouncey went in front of them the Colts take a versatile lineman that can succeed at guard or at OT, they've let it be known that OL is a priority for them this year.

32. New Orleans Saints-Daryl Washington, LB, TCU
The Saints have basically nothing at LB right now and Washington while being a very good and talented player is pretty much a sure thing, so the SB champs get an immediate starter right here.

I'd like to note that I think that since I had Charles Brown and Bruce Campbell both fall that Detroit would trade back up into the 1st for one of them.

Titty Meat
04-12-2010, 11:20 PM
No way Thomas goes to Cincy.

Ming the Merciless
04-12-2010, 11:21 PM
If we dropped from 5 to 7 and got Mclain + somethign else that would be a win in my eyes. I think this is a great scenario, and would be so fucking happy if it happened. Thanks for getting my hopes up, Asshole Mecca.

Mecca
04-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Why not? The Dolphins might take him, but his options are kind of in between he could go anywhere from 7 to 11 to 12 to 18 to where I have him.

Mecca
04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
If we dropped from 5 to 7 and got Mclain + somethign else that would be a win in my eyes. I think this is a great scenario, and would be so fucking happy if it happened. Thanks for getting my hopes up, Asshole Mecca.

You should be happy because I think it's pretty likely.

Ming the Merciless
04-12-2010, 11:23 PM

If it happens I will be thrilled, as I said I think this is a best case scenario. I have been posting similar thoughts to this as well.

Titty Meat
04-12-2010, 11:24 PM
I think Thomas could go to Seattle, San Fran, or Atlanta.

Mecca
04-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I think I had Seattle win the draft in this scenario.

RippedmyFlesh
04-12-2010, 11:33 PM
nice job
I thought pitt might go after Iupati before the holmes thing
they aren't adverse to taking a guard in the 1st round
and I am sure most buff fans would rather have clausen it would't surprise me if they took tebow
Buffalo picks guys in the 1st round that always seem to could have been had much later.

philfree
04-12-2010, 11:45 PM
5. Kansas City Chiefs-Rolando McClain, MLB, Alabama
I know I've been saying this would be the pick since about January and I'm back with that after a bit of fluctuation. Now let me clarify I don't think this will be the pick at 5, I believe the Chiefs will likely drop with the Browns, Buffalo is a bit to cheap to move up to 5 to pay the contract that goes with it. Basically Pioli takes a "right 53" player who plays a position of immediate impact and gets a team leader. Basically filling what he wants and placating fans with "look he's producing right away. This was always my first instinct for the pick so I'll trust that. I believe this is the pick for the Chiefs at 7 or 9.

If a trade down happens why not Brandon Graham? Pioli could swipe his daddy in-laws pick!

PhilFree:arrow:

Mecca
04-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Another reason I have that scenario is the Chiefs have to win 7-9 games this coming year, so I figure they'll try to get as many players that can contribute as they can.

CaliforniaChief
04-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Do you think Golden Tate falls to us in the 2nd? If so, I gotta believe we'll snatch him up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pittsburgh grab him.

Ebolapox
04-13-2010, 12:37 AM
plausible. that's all one can expect from a mock this time of year. rep, nice job dude.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Do you think Golden Tate falls to us in the 2nd? If so, I gotta believe we'll snatch him up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pittsburgh grab him.

Actually yea, I think it's pretty likely at this point, although I'd rather have Damian Williams he's a lot more ready.

CaliforniaChief
04-13-2010, 12:42 AM
I would be SHOCKED if we passed on Golden Tate at 2a...but I'm just saying that based on the Notre Dame/Weis connection.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Some teams don't like Tate from what I've been reading, there's hugely spread thought on him Tate is graded out from anywhere from a high 2 to a 4 depending on the team.

Titty Meat
04-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Some teams don't like Tate from what I've been reading, there's hugely spread thought on him Tate is graded out from anywhere from a high 2 to a 4 depending on the team.

Youactually beliee Tate is a four? Come on Mecca.

CaliforniaChief
04-13-2010, 12:50 AM

I'm sure that's true...but I'll bet we're one of those who think he's a high 2.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 12:57 AM
See the phrase "some teams" that doesn't mean he's a 4 that just means some teams don't think highly of him.

Titty Meat
04-13-2010, 12:59 AM
See the phrase "some teams" that doesn't mean he's a 4 that just means some teams don't think highly of him.

Let me guess those teams are the ones who pick at the back end of the second round draft.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 01:00 AM
It's probably the teams that value polish and route running.

Tate is good after the catch but he is a very marginal route runner and is raw at the position also his height is an issue.

Titty Meat
04-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Right. Listening to what teams say about a prospect days before the draft is like listening to a politican days before the election.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 01:13 AM
No one is going to disparage Tate he's not a top 10 pick, I'm just telling you there are varying grades on him.

booger
04-13-2010, 01:29 AM
very possible, IMO. Makes sense.

McClain's medical check is critical. David Gerard the jags qb has crones and had a one or 2 ft. chunk of his intestines removed. The saban and 34 connection make too much sense.

I think Weatherspoon has an outside shot though too. They would want to drop to 10 w/ j'ville or 12 w/ miami. I don't see Del rio wanting to take a QB like Clausen with his job on the line. Maybe Gene Smith their new GM(new last year) but who knows if he is tied to Del Rio or not. And Miami to move up for D. Williams(which they probably wouldn't need to move for) or more likely Berry.

I think Weatherspoon has the compact build and would draw comparissons too Mayo in Pioli's mind.

The trade back to 7 or 9 is more likely though and if they are ok with his medical, McClain does make a ton of sense.

Direckshun
04-13-2010, 07:48 AM
C'mon, Mecca. Get us to the Chiefs' 2a. I want to see what you mock.

Great job, by the way. Thanks.

penchief
04-13-2010, 07:58 AM

He should be happy because that's what you think is likely? I don't get it.

Nice mock, though.

DeezNutz
04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't think we're taking McClain. Far, far too many questions surrounding this player.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
The only thing I have to say about this is getting McClain and extra picks by trading down wouldn't be the end of the world. It would sit better with me than picking an OT.

However, I still see it as fairly dumb given his disease. I don't think Pioli is that dumb. I'd guess a lot of the best 3-4 ILBs come from the middle rounds...time to go take a look.

Archie Bunker
04-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Good effort Mecca. Hopefully if it goes down that way Pioli will look outside the "tree" and go with Spoon but I'm sure that won't happen. .

Coogs
04-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Youactually beliee Tate is a four? Come on Mecca.

This dude has him as a 5th rounder at best...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226258

BigCatDaddy
04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Is Donald Penn a pretty solid LT for the Bucs? He must be since I never see anyone projecting Okung to them.

Dave Lane
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
McClain = Worst #5 pick ever.

I'd need 1000 doctors and 200 reports that the Crohns is totally minor and won't effect him at all. And a ILB = no way at #5. I wouldn't want him due to the risk of Crohns at a bad time. Football would have to be extra hard on this disease.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Patrick Willis - 1st round
Ray Lewis - 1st round
David Harris - 2nd round
Lawrence Timmons - 1st round
Bradie James - 4th round
Karlos Dansby - 2nd round
Larry Foote - 4th round
James Farrior - 1st round
Jerod Mayo -1st round
Eric Barton - 5th round
Edgerton Hartwell- 4th round
Andra Davis - 5th round
Gerald Hayes - 3rd round

booger
04-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Is Donald Penn a pretty solid LT for the Bucs? He must be since I never see anyone projecting Okung to them.

i'm gonna say pretty solid with also saying i havn't seen a bunch of bucs games the last few years.

One thing to consider w/ Penn though. He is the New GM Mark Dominik's prize "find" as a talent evaluator.

I just remember that from reading up on him since he went to KU and started out as a scout w/KC and mentioned for the job when Carl left.

booger
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
The only thing I have to say about this is getting McClain and extra picks by trading down wouldn't be the end of the world. It would sit better with me than picking an OT.

However, I still see it as fairly dumb given his disease. I don't think Pioli is that dumb. I'd guess a lot of the best 3-4 ILBs come from the middle rounds...time to go take a look.

Donald Butler ILB from U of Wash was someone they showed early interest in.(seniorbowl i think, maybe e/w shrine game)

I don't check out many sites besides scott wright but he has him as one of his all under rated team and all the way up to #3 ILB behind McClain and Sean Lee.

Was hoping he would be around in the 4th and that may not be the case now.

Either way it is hard to find a thumper at ILB that can also play on 3rd down in some fashion. Considering his health, i would go the safer route with Spoon who according to arrowhead pride and others KC has scouted and paid quite a bit of attention too.

bowener
04-13-2010, 11:30 AM

I'd need 1000 doctors and 200 reports that the Crohns is totally minor and won't effect him at all. And a ILB = no way at #5. I wouldn't want him due to the risk of Crohns at a bad time. Football would have to be extra hard on this disease.

Maybe he could try the whip worm treatments to alleviate the condition. If picked in the top 10 he would have enough money to buy his way into any Harvard Medical experiments.

Frosty
04-13-2010, 11:34 AM
If a trade down happens why not Brandon Graham? Pioli could swipe his daddy in-laws pick!

PhilFree:arrow:

This. I would rather have Graham if the Chiefs trade down.

Also, didn't the Jags take two DE's in the 1st last year? Do you really think they would do it again?

the Talking Can
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
seems plausible

i have no expectation they'll draft a QB, but really hate the idea of us passing on Berry

The Franchise
04-13-2010, 12:12 PM
God...I'd rather see us reach on Williams instead of McClain. Fuck that...I'd rather see us take Haden at #5.

KCDC
04-13-2010, 01:11 PM

I think Mecca was assuming a trade down to 7 or 9. At those picks it is less objectionable, but I think Pioli might be more inclined to go with Dan Williams there.

Assuming Mecca is right and we trade down to 7 so that Cleveland can take Berry or Clausen, I'm guessing we'd get a third rounder is all. Are we better with Berry or McClain and an early third rounder? If we traded down and got Clausen at 7, then I'd be happy to have that extra third rounder. McClain or Williams ... if Pioli, Haley and Crennel are that high on him, I'm okay with it to gain another 3rd round pick.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Dan Williams is not a good fit for this style of 3-4.

Direckshun
04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Dan Williams is not a good fit for this style of 3-4.

Get us to 2a.

Reaper16
04-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Patrick Willis - 1st round
Ray Lewis - 1st round
David Harris - 2nd round
Lawrence Timmons - 1st round
Bradie James - 4th round
Karlos Dansby - 2nd round
Larry Foote - 4th round
James Farrior - 1st round
Jerod Mayo -1st round
Eric Barton - 5th round
Edgerton Hartwell- 48th Hour
Andra Davis - 5th round
Gerald Hayes - 3rd round
FYP

acesn8s
04-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Ironically, last year you said This is the year to take a QB..next year will likely be the year they use the 1st pick on a DE, this takes time but this is the best chance the Chiefs have ever had to get a legit QB and some people just want to piss it away on another OT or a damn LB.Funny how this years LB looks better in the draft. I'm not busting your balls, I just find it amusing.

After looking at a number of mock drafts, I have noticed that not a single one knows what is going on. Most of them have about ten OT being taken in the first round. Many of those will not be drafted in the 1st. Therefore, any pick made by those teams will be considered a reach.

Mecca, you said the top two safeties this year are the best in a long time. Does Washington try to replace Sean Taylor with one? If so, would you pull the trigger on Okung? Or wait to pick up OL in a later round?

I feel a trade is possible but the other team would need to be:
1) Aggressive. What teams have managers that are aggresive during the draft?
2) Desperate. What teams need to fill a need desperately?
3) Greedy. What teams are so greedy that they must have the #5 pick?

I'm not so sure that this is the year for value at #5 but there are the Jerry Jones' of the world.

Mecca
04-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Don't think so, they have to go LT after the McNabb move.

You also have to remember when projecting to the next year, Bradford and Clausen were both underclassmen and I didn't think they'd both be coming out to be honest...

I do think this DE class is better by the way.

acesn8s
04-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Doesn't Houston need help on D? They have never made the right decision on RB so I could see them effing this up.

Mecca
04-16-2010, 12:10 AM
They do but they can't fix their D so I figure they'll go for the complete offense if we go RB first defense the rest of the way we can get into the playoffs approach.

doomy3
04-16-2010, 06:42 AM
I think I had Seattle win the draft in this scenario.

When did your views change on Dez Bryant?