PDA

View Full Version : Jags drop Dez Bryant from their board?

Mr. Laz
04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Jacksonville is likely to add WR in draft, but probably not with the No. 10 pick

Posted: April 13, 2010 - 12:22a
<!-- Begin full page node view --> <script type="text/javascript"> $(document).ready(function(){ photovideo_load(); photovideo_toggle(); $.jtabber({ mainLinkTag: ".photo-buttons a", activeLinkClass: "selected", hiddenContentClass: "photo-box", showDefaultTab: 1, showErrors: false, effect: 'fade', effectSpeed: 'medium' }); }); </script> <!--end article tabs-->http://jacksonville.com/sites/all/themes/whitelabel/images/blank.gif
http://jacksonville.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_slideshow_thumb/editorial/images/images/mdControlled/cms/2010/04/13/605335435.jpg (http://jacksonville.com/sites/default/files/editorial/images/images/mdControlled/cms/2010/04/13/605335435.jpg)
Brody Schmidt/Associated Press

Dez Bryant is regarded as the best receiver in the draft. But the Jaguars dropped him from their board because of character concerns, multiple sources say.

Player, School, Ht./Wt., Projected round
1. Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State, 6-2/224, Round 1
2. Golden Tate, Notre Dame 5-9/199, Rounds 1 or 2
3. Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech 6-3/224, Rounds 1 or 2
4. Arrelious Benn, Illinois, 6-1/219, Round 2
5. Damian Williams, Southern Cal, 6-1/197, Round 2
6. Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati, 6-0/187, Rounds 3-4
7. Brandon LaFell, LSU, 6-3/211, Rounds 2-3
8. Carlton Mitchell, South Florida, 6-3/215, Rounds 2-3
9. Emmanuel Sanders, SMU, 5-11/186, Rounds 3-4
10. Taylor Price, Ohio, 6-1/204, Rounds 3-4

The next 10: 11. Eric Decker, Minnesota, 6-3, 217; 12. Jacoby Ford, Clemson, 5-9, 186; 13. Blair White, Michigan State, 6-2, 209; 14. Andre Roberts, Citadel, 5-11, 195; 15. Riley Cooper, Florida, 6-4, 222; 16. Jordan Shipley, Texas, 5-11, 193; 17. Joe Webb, UAB, 6-3, 223; 18. Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State, 5-11, 187; 19. Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas, 6-2, 207; 20. Jeremy Williams, Tulane, 6-0, 206.

Analysis: Dez Bryant appears to be the class' only bona fide first-round pick. But even his stock is in question after average performances in pro day workouts. Don't count on the Jaguars even sniffing this position in the first round, given all their past failures on receivers in the draft. Converted quarterback Armanti Edwards of Appalachian State appears to be one of the class' most intriguing prospects.

By Michael C. Wright (http://jacksonville.com/authors/michael-c-wright-0)
The Jaguars drafted wide receivers with their first-round pick more times than all but one position (defensive line) in franchise history.

By now, the club has learned its lesson, it appears. But the Jaguars aren't the only team in the NFL to have been victimized by first-round busts at wide receiver.

"That's a position that's been tricky," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. "Some years you hit. But there have been some major disappointments at the position."

Look no further than Jacksonville to find three of them. Since 2000, the club has used first-round picks to draft R. Jay Soward (29th overall), Reggie Williams (ninth) and Matt Jones (21st). Over a combined 10 years, Soward, Williams, and Jones produced an average annual stat line of 37 catches for 462.9 yards and 3.4 touchdowns.

Hardly the numbers of No. 1 draft picks.

In addition, Soward, Williams and Jones also experienced plenty of turmoil off the field related to drugs and alcohol.

So the Jaguars aren't interested in repeating past mistakes. While it's likely the club will add a receiver at some point in the draft, don't count on the Jaguars picking one with the 10th overall pick in next week's draft.

"I would say that we remain open-minded," Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said. "Like running back, we'd take a receiver. I think we could use a guy to bring into the mix to compete. So I wouldn't rule out that position."

But it might be safe to do so in the first round. According to multiple NFL sources, the Jaguars eliminated Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant - widely regarded as the top receiver prospect in this year's draft class -from their draft board because of concerns about his character (Bryant missed 2009 because of an NCAA suspension for violating NCAA rules).

"I just made a mistake," Bryant said. "Dez Bryant's a great person to be around. He loves the game of football. He can't wait to get back on the field and do whatever to help the team."

Notre Dame's Golden Tate and Georgia Tech's Demaryius Thomas - ranked just behind Bryant - aren't considered by the Jaguars to be top-10 selections although they could be picked in the mid to late first round or early second.

Without a clear-cut No. 2 receiver to play opposite Mike Sims-Walker (the team released Torry Holt), the Jaguars would like to create more competition for the final three spots. They added Kassim Osgood (the Jaguars like his size, but he's not considered a polished route runner) in free agency to compete with rising second-year players Mike Thomas, Jarett Dillard and Tiquan Underwood for roles. Veteran Troy Williamson - who might be the favorite to win the No. 2 role - is also in the mix, along with Nate Hughes.

It's also worth keeping in mind that Sims-Walker, who has endured injury issues for most of his career, is entering the final year of his contract. Uncertainty at receiver still exists, given Sims-Walker's contract and injury situation, in addition to the fact there's not much proven depth behind him. That means the Jaguars will likely look to the draft to bolster the position.

"Not that we wouldn't [use a first-round pick on a receiver this year], but I don't think there are any this year [where] that's merited," Del Rio said. "It's not a great year for wide receiver, but there will be some guys in the mid rounds that have a shot."

Florida's Riley Cooper could be a potential mid-round target for the Jaguars, who have shown some interest in the receiver, along with Minnesota's Eric Decker, Ohio's Taylor Price and Syracuse's Mike Williams. Cooper and Decker have backgrounds in college baseball.

"A lot of it transitions over," Decker explained. "The biggest thing for me was the mental aspect. Baseball, being kind of a roller coaster [in which if] you fail three out of 10 times you're still a Hall of Famer. I think [baseball] also [helps] with the physical attributes - hand-eye coordination at the plate, [at] center field being able to track a ball over the shoulder and track a ball in the gaps."

Del Rio explained the upcoming season as "crucial" for taking the passing game to the next level.

"It's a solid group," Del Rio said of his team's receivers. "But we need to have them take a step beyond [what they did last season] and become more. There are still unknowns there. We would be open to getting a guy if he were there. But we're not gonna force any of these positions."

michael.wright@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4657

The Franchise
04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Anybody got a guess on what kind of numbers you think Sims-Walker could put up next year?

OnTheWarpath15
04-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Good for them.

The Franchise
04-13-2010, 03:39 PM
"I just made a mistake," Bryant said. "Dez Bryant's a great person to be around. He loves the game of football. He can't wait to get back on the field and do whatever to help the team."

Anybody who speaks in the third person is a fucking douche.

OnTheWarpath15
04-13-2010, 03:43 PM

That's fucking priceless coming from a guy that was repeatedly late for meetings, practices and games, and forgot his fucking cleats on the biggest job interview of his life.

This kid could have a full-time babysitter in the NFL and still find a way to fuck it up.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2010, 07:28 PM
That's ****ing priceless coming from a guy that was repeatedly late for meetings, practices and games, and forgot his ****ing cleats on the biggest job interview of his life.

This kid could have a full-time babysitter in the NFL and still find a way to **** it up.

Blah, blah, blah. He was a DOMINANT player on the field.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Blah, blah, blah. He was a DOMINANT player on the field.

So was Mike Williams.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2010, 07:35 PM
So was Mike Williams.

And Brady Quinn was a very good Notre Dame QB under Weis. Does that mean Clausen will be a bust?

DeezNutz
04-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Have the Chiefs released their board, yet?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-13-2010, 07:41 PM
And Brady Quinn was a very good Notre Dame QB under Weis. Does that mean Clausen will be a bust?

Here's a tip:

WRs in the first round, like QBs, have a high bust rate.

QBs, if they don't bust, give you far more on return than a WR ever will.

Taking positions that have a high bust rate, low return on value, and who have TREMENDOUS character and scheme concerns= recipe for fail.

I don't think that you understand anything about implied odds.

Bowser
04-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Unless your name is Rickey Henderson, you are not allowed to speak of yourself in the third person.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Here's a tip:

WRs in the first round, like QBs, have a high bust rate.

QBs, if they don't bust, give you far more on return than a WR ever will.

Taking positions that have a high bust rate, low return on value, and who have TREMENDOUS character and scheme concerns= recipe for fail.

I don't think that you understand anything about implied odds.

What the hell does that have to do with Bryant being a dominant player?

Mecca
04-13-2010, 08:26 PM
He's basically telling you a QB is worth the risk, when Bryant started throwing up red flags he became not worth the risk because of his position.

T-post Tom
04-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Anybody who speaks in the third person is a ****ing douche.

Trading Post Tom couldn't agree with you more.

notorious
04-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Trading Post Tom couldn't agree with you more.

"George is getting frustrated!"

Miles
04-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Unless your name is Rickey Henderson, you are not allowed to speak of yourself in the third person.

Absolutely. Ricky knows what is best for Ricky.

T-post Tom
04-13-2010, 09:59 PM
"George is getting frustrated!"

:LOL:

Did you know that Trading Post Tom has officially deemed this coming summer to be "The Summer of Trading Post Tom?" True story.

notorious
04-13-2010, 10:20 PM
:LOL:

Did you know that Trading Post Tom has officially deemed this coming summer to be "The Summer of Trading Post Tom?" True story.

"I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!"

Chiefshrink
04-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Anybody got a guess on what kind of numbers you think Sims-Walker could put up next year?

He is f**kin stud and I picked him up after the 2nd game last yr and he didn't disappoint one time last yr. :thumb:

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
According to the guys on the afternoon drive show on Sirius NFL Radio, there are now 10 teams that have taken Dez Bryant completely off of their draft boards.

Bowser
04-14-2010, 02:26 PM
According to the guys on the afternoon drive show on Sirius NFL Radio, there are now 10 teams that have taken Dez Bryant completely off of their draft boards.

Tim and Pat are far and away the best show on 124. I like Mills and Gannon, too.

Chiefnj2
04-14-2010, 02:52 PM

Yeah, I'm sure teams wouldn't use a 5th - 7th round pick on a guy with first round on field talent.

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I'm sure teams wouldn't use a 5th - 7th round pick on a guy with first round on field talent.

I guess at least 10 teams wouldn't.

That or Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan, along with Sirius are in the business of broadcasting blatant lies.

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Tim and Pat are far and away the best show on 124. I like Mills and Gannon, too.

This.

And for all the shit Randy Cross has gotten in the past around here, he does a damn good job in the AM. Too bad he's paired with Peter King 2-3 days a week.

Bowser
04-14-2010, 03:11 PM
This.

And for all the shit Randy Cross has gotten in the past around here, he does a damn good job in the AM. Too bad he's paired with Peter King 2-3 days a week.

I only catch Cross a few times due to my schedule, mostly on the replay. But I agree - he has solid takes. And sometimes Peter is OK, other times it's like he's basking in his own 40 watt glow.

(Confession - I thought Shannon Sharpe was pretty fucking decent, too, shockingly. Just don't tell anyone I said that, ESPECIALLY around these parts.)

Mecca
04-14-2010, 03:28 PM

I think that's misinformation actually, it's that time of year. I think most of these reports about him being removed from all these teams boards are being pumped by teams picking in the teens and 20's that want him to fall to their pick.

It's that time of year....

Dez Bryant turned himself into this years draft villain...at least to the media.

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I think that's misinformation actually, it's that time of year. I think most of these reports about him being removed from all these teams boards are being pumped by teams picking in the teens and 20's that want him to fall to their pick.

It's that time of year....

Dez Bryant turned himself into this years draft villain...at least to the media.

Normally, I'd agree that it's a bit of mis-information.

But 10 teams, and the number grows after each visit he takes.

You're talking about almost a third of the league.

Let's think of the teams that wouldn't take him because of character concerns:

Definites

KC
Pittsburgh
Miami
Jacksonville

Probable

STL
New England
Indy
Arizona

Possible

Baltimore (don't see him as a Ozzie kind of guy, much less Harbaugh)
Green Bay (definitely not a McCarthy guy)

There's 10, without really trying.

Personally, I don't think Holmgren would take him, and I don't see Kubiak putting up with his bullshit either. Same with Schwartz. Same with Major Dad.

Mecca
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
I still will say his absolute floor in the draft is Seattle at 14.

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I still will say his absolute floor in the draft is Seattle at 14.

Damn, I forgot about Pete.

You know him better than I do, but I don't see him starting off his last chance in this league with two high R1 picks and using one on a fuck-up.

JMO.

Mecca
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Pete values playmakers, he also thinks he can work with anyone, inner city programs, working with trouble youth etc etc.

I think Pete will think he can work with Bryant.

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Pete values playmakers, he also thinks he can work with anyone, inner city programs, working with trouble youth etc etc.

I think Pete will think he can work with Bryant.

I like Pete, I really hope his ego doesn't get in the way of common sense.

There are too many talented players without baggage to risk a high pick on this clown.

Mecca
04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
I'd rather have Spiller and Bryant than any of the random OT's that everyone keeps giving them.

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2010, 04:14 PM
I'd rather have Spiller and Bryant than any of the random OT's that everyone keeps giving them.

I'll be shocked if they don't take Spiller.

And I can see why people are giving them a LT, the only team in worse shape than they are at that position is Washington.

I fully expect their two R1 picks to be some combination of: (depending on availability)

Spiller
Berry
Morgan
LT

Mecca
04-14-2010, 04:18 PM
I also think the Bryant stuff is a little overblown, is he kinda dumb yea, does he need to learn what he can't say, yea. But he's not Pacman Jones.

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I also think the Bryant stuff is a little overblown, is he kinda dumb yea, does he need to learn what he can't say, yea. But he's not Pacman Jones.

That's why they do such extensive psychological testing. To get an idea if these smaller issues might blow up into larger issues.

And may be why teams are taking him off their board.

Mecca
04-14-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't really believe that many teams have pulled him, I think some have but I don't think it's half the league.

Also some of these teams like the Steelers for example care more about public perception than winning and if that's the spot your franchise is in, you have far more problems than what WR you're drafting.

Chiefnj2
04-15-2010, 08:26 AM
I guess at least 10 teams wouldn't.

That or Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan, along with Sirius are in the business of broadcasting blatant lies.

Misdirection and lies this time of year? No way. Everyone is telling the truth.

OnTheWarpath15
04-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Just saw Matt Hayes of The Sporting News make this comment on NFLN:

I think with Dez, the biggest red flag for me with Dez, here's a guy whose coach admitted - his coach in college, Mike Gundy admitted - that he quit. He quit in games, he didn't block enough, he didn't block downfield, he quit in practices, he quit when he was working out in his pro day. That to me is a huge red flag.

If Mike Gundy is telling scouts that Bryant is a quitter, no wonder 10 teams (allegedly) have dropped him from their boards.

Queue NJChief to tell us that college coaches throwing their own players under the bus is par for the course this time of year.

Mecca
04-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Well I know where you're post is going to get ripped apart.

OnTheWarpath15
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Well I know where you're post is going to get ripped apart.

Oh, I'm sure the fact that this came from The Sporting News will be brought up.

So the guy is blatantly lying on national television?

I doubt he goes public with that if Gundy didn't say it, and honestly, it explains a lot.

Mecca
04-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Dez Bryant successfully turned himself into the draft villain, nice job Dez.

Chiefnj2
04-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Just saw Matt Hayes of The Sporting News make this comment on NFLN:

If Mike Gundy is telling scouts that Bryant is a quitter, no wonder 10 teams (allegedly) have dropped him from their boards.

Queue NJChief to tell us that college coaches throwing their own players under the bus is par for the course this time of year.

Gundy should be concerned that a kid who only played in 3 games still led the team in receiving TDs (4), had the highest avg per catch and was 2nd on the team in total receiving yards. Gundy fell apart with out Dez.

Compare and contrast with:

Maturity concerns are latest hurdle for Cowboys draft target Dez Bryant

04:42 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News
jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

LUFKIN, Texas – Dez Bryant is the best receiver in Thursday's NFL draft, but it will surprise no one whether he is picked in the top 10 or much later in the first round.

Column by JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News | jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

Jean-Jacques Taylor
Archive | Blog | E-mail

Some teams think he is an immature 21-year-old from an impoverished background who will thrive with structure and tough love. Other teams think he'll generate a never-ending string of negative headlines once he gets the millions every first-round pick receives.

Your Cowboys? They love him.

The coaches at Lufkin High School will tell you that no NFL team has spent more time digging into Bryant's background. They sent a scout to his personal workout a few weeks ago, and if he's available at No. 20, don't be surprised if the Cowboys move up from No. 27 in an attempt to acquire him.

The question the Cowboys and every other team must answer is when the reward of Bryant's talent surpasses the financial risk.

That's when he'll get drafted.

This is really Bryant's fault. He'll tell you that.

And it's the truth.

If he had been honest about hanging out with Deion Sanders last summer, the NCAA would've never ended his junior year after three games, and the questions about his character wouldn't be nearly as intense.

Bryant isn't Pacman Jones. He isn't Randy Moss. He doesn't even belong in the same sentence with either one.

Bryant has never been arrested. He's never had a drug problem. He's never had an alcohol problem. He's never had a problem with violence.

And he doesn't come with a posse. He's had the same best friend since the third grade.

"There are no absolutes," said Dr. Herbert Martin, who has worked closely with NFL and NBA players for nearly two decades on matters involving personal and professional development. "But prior behavior is usually a good indicator for future behavior.

"If he hasn't had any issues with drugs, alcohol or violence against women when he was at his most vulnerable, then there is a great probability that by the time he enters the league, he won't engage in conduct detrimental to the NFL."

You can't find a teammate, coach or scout who says Bryant is a bad person. You can't find a teammate, coach or scout who questions Bryant's work ethic on the practice field.

His biggest flaw: He is habitually late.

No joke.

That's the most serious criticism leveled at Bryant. He can't manage time to save his life.

Obviously, that's a bad habit that must be corrected. But this is a young man who's been on his own in a lot of ways since he became a teenager.

He has dealt with a change in his mother's sexual orientation in a conservative town of about 32,000, located in the heart of the Bible Belt. He's dealt with the self-esteem troubles that accompany taking special education classes, as he did until he requested more challenging courses in the 11th grade to ensure he could attend college.

We're talking about a kid who bounced around from family to family during his high school years in a constant quest for stability.

BigChiefFan
04-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Flaws:lied and forgot some gear. BFD. He's a gamer and some team is going to get a heck of a WR.

OnTheWarpath15
04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
You can't find a teammate, coach or scout who questions Bryant's work ethic on the practice field.

Really? Mike Gundy calling him a quitter isn't questioning his work ethic?

Mr. Laz
04-21-2010, 08:13 PM
he's still go in the 1st round ... instead of top 8, he's now 10-20.