PDA

View Full Version : Jon Gruden: Think twice before drafting a defensive tackle high

Tribal Warfare
04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Jon Gruden: Think twice before drafting a defensive tackle high (http://www.freep.com/article/20100413/SPORTS01/100413063/Gruden-Think-twice-before-drafting-a-DT-high)

By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Jon Gruden brought up a few names. One was Dewayne Robertson, whom the Jets drafted fourth overall in 2003. Another was Glenn Dorsey, whom the Chiefs drafted fifth overall in ’08.

“I don’t think people have seen or heard from Glenn Dorsey,” Gruden said today in a media conference call.

That's why Gruden thinks teams should look and listen closely before taking a defensive tackle high in the NFL draft, as the Lions could do second overall with Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh or Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy. The first round is April 22.

“If you really look at it, there are some concerns as to whether or not that defensive tackle can come in and electrify your fans and your football team like Warren Sapp,” said Gruden, an ESPN analyst who coached Sapp with the Buccaneers.

That said, Gruden called Suh and McCoy “outstanding talents.” He said Suh was more of a two-gap player who reminded him of Raiders defensive lineman Richard Seymour. He called McCoy “your classic one-gap defensive tackle” and compared him to the Bears’ Tommie Harris.

Gruden said teams could justify taking Suh or McCoy high in the draft if they think they’re rare and can make a big enough impact.

“I think you have to look at what you need,” Gruden said. “Quality big people are hard to find that can play on every down, and I think if you take one of these guys, he better be an every-down guy that can rush the passer and impact your football team in the fourth quarter.

“I don’t want some guy that’s only going to play 26 snaps a game. I want a guy that’s going to be able to play 55 to 60 snaps, potentially, a game.”

The Franchise
04-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Dorsey hasn't been seen or heard from because he hasn't been utilized properly since he was drafted. The fact that he's exceling at the 3-4 DE position....shows us exactly how talented the kid is.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 04:09 PM
For the most part the Chiefs record and the changing of all the schemes has led to basically every national person to believing this team literally doesn't have any good players.

Mr. Laz
04-13-2010, 04:15 PM
someone should forward this to Dorsey

maybe he will get pissed and start bashing some heads together

ToxSocks
04-13-2010, 04:18 PM
For the most part the Chiefs record and the changing of all the schemes has led to basically every national person to believing this team literally doesn't have any good players.

Nor do they want the Chiefs to have talent; take last years "trade Bowe to the Ravens because it makes sense" shit that was being spread around by the media.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Can't really say I blame them, the Chiefs have played a major part in this. Switching to a scheme that kills a top 5 pick, using a top 3 pick on a scrub, trading for a QB that sucks so much I watched Cris Carter make fun of him for 10 minutes.

Basically destroying Dwayne's Bowes production so much national people want him off the team so it stops killing their fantasy teams.

OnTheWarpath15
04-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Overall, he has a point.

John Henderson was the last Top 10 DT to be drafted who's play actually was worth the draft slot.

He was taken in 2002.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 04:27 PM
QB, DT, and WR are the most risky positions and for the most part a DT won't give you the return the other 2 will even if he pans out.

RJ
04-13-2010, 04:35 PM
It's not the position played that's risky, it's the high draft pick. Teams are afraid of being wrong. But sometimes you just gotta say what the fuck.

Quesadilla Joe
04-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Worst case scenario for Chiefs Planet would be to have McCoy available at their pick. Means Berry went to Tampa or Washington.

stormtrooper
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
hold on, hold on!! do you people really take anything from what sports anylist say? i cant even watch that shit anymore without wanting to mame one of them.

ToxSocks
04-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Worst case scenario for Chiefs Planet would be to have McCoy available at their pick. Means Berry went to Tampa or Washington.

No it doesn't. And it's very likely that McCoy is there when we pick

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. Suh
4. Trent Williams-who is suppose to be better suited for a Zone Block scheme.

ToxSocks
04-13-2010, 04:58 PM
hold on, hold on!! do you people really take anything from what sports anylist say? i cant even watch that shit anymore without wanting to mame one of them.

Yes, they're all idiots. But right now, it's all we got.

Saccopoo
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Dorsey hasn't been seen or heard from because he hasn't been utilized properly since he was drafted. The fact that he's exceling at the 3-4 DE position....shows us exactly how talented the kid is.

Excelling? That's a pretty liberal use of the word as it pertains to Dorsey's performance last season.

The Franchise
04-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Excelling? That's a pretty liberal use of the word as it pertains to Dorsey's performance last season.

Really? So the fact that our run defense got worse when Dorsey was out.....doesn't say anything about him?

Consistent1
04-13-2010, 06:20 PM
One thing about Gruden is that he has a pretty fair amount of knowledge.He is not some total idiot that hasn't studied any film and he certainly knows the difference between various D schemes.It's not a national media person dissing the Chiefs.He just makes the vaild point that Dorsey has not made top 5 pick kind of impact.It is just true to this point.Blame it on him not being in the proper role,but Gruden is not some fool just spouting out garbage to have something to say.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
04-13-2010, 06:27 PM
One thing about Gruden is that he has a pretty fair amount of knowledge.He is not some total idiot that hasn't studied any film and he certainly knows the difference between various D schemes.It's not a national media person dissing the Chiefs.He just makes the vaild point that Dorsey has not made top 5 pick kind of impact.It is just true to this point.Blame it on him not being in the proper role,but Gruden is not some fool just spouting out garbage to have something to say.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, but the blame lies mostly with the organization for Dorsey failing to be an impact player.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Really? So the fact that our run defense got worse when Dorsey was out.....doesn't say anything about him?

The run defense wasn't good when Dorsey was playing.

notorious
04-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Dorsey is doing just fine.

Mecca
04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
No it doesn't. And it's very likely that McCoy is there when we pick

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. Suh
4. Trent Williams-who is suppose to be better suited for a Zone Block scheme.

Personally I think this scenario is rooted in being high.

Ebolapox
04-13-2010, 08:18 PM
The run defense wasn't good when Dorsey was playing.

yeah, it sure was great against cleveland when dorsey was out!