PDA

View Full Version : My Clausen Mock

Ralphy Boy
04-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Okay, so we actually do take the plunge and draft Clausen at 5...now what?

KC draft the rest of the way, including player rankings from CBS & GBN:
2a (36) Jerry Hughes, OLB - (CBS 29/GBN 38)
A run on OT's causes him to fall further than he should.

2b (50) Nate Allen, FS - (CBS 48/GBN 54)
He's definitely not Eric Berry, but he's an instant upgrade over what we had last year. Doesn't get the press that Pierre-Paul & Selvie got, but he was phenomenal for South Florida.

3 (69) Cam Thomas, NT - (CBS 67/GBN 67)
Frankly I'd be shocked if he wasn't gone by the end of the 2nd and I'd jump all over him in the 3rd.

4 (103) Kam Chancellor, SS - (CBS 123/GBN 136)
I really like this kid and I'd love to have a 6'3" 230 lbs SS. From CBS' analysis: "Physical tone-setter in the middle and can be an intimidating presence. Typically a wrap-up tackler. Breaks down well in space to make the open-field tackle."

5a (137) Clay Harbor, TE - (CBS 116/GBN n/a)
Its no secret that I'm pulling for the local kid. Seeing as how Missouri State isn't exactly a NFL breeding ground, he could fall to this pick despite being ranked as a 3rd to 4th by most.

5b (143) Kyle Calloway, RT - (CBS 157/GBN 155)
Calloway is enormous 6'7" 323 but he doesn't have the long arms you'd like. Basically what he is IMO is a guy who played good enough to not get noticed by most, but he hasn't been exposed as having a major weakness either.

5c (145) Eric Olsen, C - (CBS 148/GBN 229)
I could have just as easily switched spots with he and Calloway, but since we added Weigmann, and it was only two picks later, I felt that there was something to be said with starting and ending the draft with two Notre Dame players, hopefully continuing a partnership that will last another 15 years.

Outside of Clausen & Olsen, I really do believe that every one of those guys could be our opening day starters in 2010 and all starters in 2011.

RustShack
04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I'd hit it.

DeezNutz
04-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Me likey.

T-post Tom
04-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Nice and well thought out. That said, the Chiefs are NOT going after Clausen. I ran into a guy wearing red shoes at Target today and he said the Chiefs are not going with Clausen.

http://www.partypro.com/mm_PARTYPRO_/Images/444.JPG

Hammock Parties
04-13-2010, 10:40 PM
This is a great draft, but I believe 100 percent we have to find am inside linebacker this April. We can't go to war with the same scrubs again.

Chiefshrink
04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Ralphy you bought the story:shrug: or are you just dreamin???

Priest31kc
04-13-2010, 11:35 PM
ILB & WR are huge needs, but we have more needs than we do picks to draft them. FS,SS,G,C,RT,NT,ILB,OLB,WR,TE, and of course we might take Clausen #5.

RustShack
04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
ILB & WR are huge needs, but we have more needs than we do picks to draft them. FS,SS,G,C,RT,NT,ILB,OLB,WR,TE, and of course we might take Clausen #5.

TE, C, G, OLB, FS, and NT all have serviceable guys.. obviously at least a few should be upgraded.. but not all of them NEED to be right now..

Frosty
04-14-2010, 06:52 AM
I just know that a week from tomorrow, I am going to be sitting on my couch, watching the draft, all excited about the possibility of the Chiefs taking Clausen. Then, during the Chiefs' time, ESPN, after they get back from commercial, of course, will announce that Cleveland has traded for the Chiefs' pick. Cleveland will take Clausen, Seattle will take Berry and the Chiefs will end up with Dan Williams.

spanky 52
04-14-2010, 07:01 AM
I just know that a week from tomorrow, I am going to be sitting on my couch, watching the draft, all excited about the possibility of the Chiefs taking Clausen. Then, during the Chiefs' time, ESPN, after they get back from commercial, of course, will announce that Cleveland has traded for the Chiefs' pick. Cleveland will take Clausen, Seattle will take Berry and the Chiefs will end up with Dan Williams.

Somethings never change. It's amazing how many times during the draft, when the Chief's are up they go to commercial break. I hope your wrong but could see this happening.

spanky 52
04-14-2010, 07:05 AM
This isn't a bad draft. Maybe change Allen for ILB Butler and instead of Calloway, take DB Lewis out of Vanderbilt. Was reading where the Steeler's coach really liked Chancellor out of VA Tech. I've seen mocks on PFW where the Harbor kid goes early 4th round so he must have a lot of talent.

Frosty
04-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Somethings never change. It's amazing how many times during the draft, when the Chief's are up they go to commercial break. I hope your wrong but could see this happening.

Not only do they go to commercial, but they usually keep talking about the previous pick and barely mention the Chiefs' pick.

El Jefe
04-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Not only do they go to commercial, but they usually keep talking about the previous pick and barely mention the Chiefs' pick.

THIS!! That is so annoying, they cover the previous pick for 5 minutes, and give the Chiefs pick a minute and a half.

Frosty
04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
THIS!! That is so annoying, they cover the previous pick for 5 minutes, and give the Chiefs pick a minute and a half.

Last year, both ESPN and NFLN spent most of the late rounds talking about Brett Favre instead of the picks. This year, I predict it will be Tim Tebow that they will talk about ad naseum.

MoreLemonPledge
04-14-2010, 09:11 AM

At least you know.

Mr. Laz
04-14-2010, 09:21 AM
i'll take it ... don't know about Clay Harbor, but i'll take it.

Mr. Laz
04-14-2010, 09:23 AM
or .............. things could go really good and everyone could spend all weekend long talking about what a great draft the chiefs had.

The Franchise
04-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Looks fine to me. I don't see Cam Thomas being there in the 3rd....but I'd be happy with him or Torrell Troup.

Frosty
04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
or .............. things could go really good and everyone could spend all weekend long talking about what a great draft the chiefs had.

"Hope for the best but prepare for the worst" - Chiefs fan motto

milkman
04-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Actually, that sounds like a very real possibility.

ToxSocks
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Yep. Frustrating. you sit there for damn near an hour, waiting for the Chiefs pick...then they cut to commercial and talk about the pick for like a minute. Its.....arghhh.....

ToxSocks
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Actually, that sounds like a very real possibility.

cuz we all know its true. Happens every damn year.

InChiefsHeaven
04-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't know, they usually spend some time on our picks if they are early, as they've been for the last couple drafts. I thought for instance that they spent quite a bit of time on Dorsey. But Jackson not so much...probably because they had no clue who the guy was...heheheh...

Ralphy Boy
04-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Ralphy you bought the story:shrug: or are you just dreamin???
I'm saying "if not now, when?" Yes, I'm just dreaming. Taking a "what if" guess at how we would go the rest of the way.

There has never been and will never be a better opportunity to take a QB in the high first round.

The rationale is that, given our reluctance to draft a QB in the past, if we were ever going to draft a QB in round 1, then he would have to be a sure thing. Given the Weis/Clausen connection, I think it is very reasonable to say that he is the closest thing we may ever see to a sure thing.

Now factor in the timing. When are we likely to be drafting high enough to get a "sure thing"? Hopefully its not very freaking soon.

Take away everything you may like or hate about Cassel & Clausen and just look at the simple facts. To keep the names & emotion out of it, I'll just call theml "QB1" and "QB2".

QB1 was the 25th rated passer in the league last season.
QB1 completed 55.0% of his passes.
QB1 had a 69.9 QB rating.
QB1 has a significant option bonus due in 12 months.

QB2 was rated extremely high as a "blue chip" QB coming out of high school.
QB2 ran a pro-style offense for 3 years in college.
QB2 was one of the highest rated QB's in college football last season.
QB2 ran the exact same offense, in college, that we run.
QB2 dealt fairly well with all of the media and external pressures in college.
QB2 is viewed as a 1st round QB and had a very good pro day.
Oh and as it just so happens...
Our OC was the HC for QB2 for 3 years and knows him better than anyone.

In short; he was groomed for the KC job. No QB has ever been so experienced in a particular style of offense coming out of college. People are projecting on Bradford & Tebow; "how will a spread QB adapt to the pro game and a pro style offense?". We already know that Clausen knows our offense.

We know more about Clausen than any NFL team has EVER known about any college QB. He was made for KC.
TE, C, G, OLB, FS, and NT all have serviceable guys.. obviously at least a few should be upgraded.. but not all of them NEED to be right now..

I definitely do not agree that the NT position has a serviceable guy.

Will Page be our starting FS? I believe he ran a 4.63 40 coming out of college and might be, at 225 lbs, better suited for SS. He actually played SS for 45 of his 49 college games. That speed is okay for a SS and even a FS in a cover 2. How well does he fit into this defense?

OLB is a need because in this defense, as we've been told ad nauseam, our defensive linemen are not charged with getting sacks. We were 2nd to last in the league with 22. 8.5 coming from Tamba. Our next best was Gilberry with 4.5 and he's not even supposed to be getting sacks. Our other LB's generated only 3; Vrabel had 2 & DJ 1.

I didn't recommend a G.

TE is a need, in part, because Weis likes TE's and IMO because our current QB only completed 45% of his passes thrown for 11-20 yards. Our leading TE only had 20 catches for 174 yards with an 8.4 yard average and 1 TD.
Comparatively speaking, under Weis in 2004, Graham had 30 for 364 yards and a 12.1 yard average and 7 TD's.
The year before that Graham had 38 catches for 409 yards.
In other words, I think we'll be throwing to the TE more.

I think that is probably exactly what WILL happen.

I started to answer this and then I saw the below.

I don't know, they usually spend some time on our picks if they are early, as they've been for the last couple drafts. I thought for instance that they spent quite a bit of time on Dorsey. But Jackson not so much...probably because they had no clue who the guy was...heheheh...

Exactly.

beach tribe
04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I've really been wanting them to switch Page to SS. I believe he can be serviceable there.

DJ's left nut
04-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Last year, both ESPN and NFLN spent most of the late rounds talking about Brett Favre instead of the picks. This year, I predict it will be Tim Tebow that they will talk about ad naseum.

When we took a guy worth talking about (Dorsey), they had a good highlight package for him.

When we took Tyson MFing Jackson, just exactly what was there to say?

I'm actually thankful they spared me the additional angst.