PDA

View Full Version : Life Any current or ex-Military ever do this??

InChiefsHeaven
04-14-2010, 05:53 AM
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100414/NEWS01/704149871/0#what-did-i-do-shooter-blurted

What the hell...I mean, I really thought that Military people would be the last ones to screw around with weapons like that...

By Joe Dejka
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

An intoxicated Air Force airman stared down the barrel of a handgun and told a fellow airman holding the weapon to “pull it, shoot me,” according to testimony Tuesday in a military courtroom at Offutt Air Force Base.

He did, and the gun fired, striking Senior Airman Michael Garcia, 23, in the left eye, killing him.

The shooter, Airman 1st Class Corey D. Hernandez, looked shocked and blurted: “What happened? I don't know what happened? What did I do?” testified Senior Airman Dustin Dieter.

Dieter, who testified he was drunk when he witnessed the Dec. 11 shooting, was one of three airmen questioned in a three-hour preliminary hearing about that night and the so-called “trust me” game the young men had been playing with Garcia's laser-sighted handgun.

In the game, the shooter apparently uses sleight of hand to make the gun appear loaded, but partially inserts the ammunition clip or a dummy round so the gun won't fire. Other military deaths have been linked to the game.

Military prosecutors have charged Hernandez, 21, of Walnut, Calif., with unpremeditated murder while engaged in an inherently dangerous act and two lesser charges. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.

Defense attorneys want the charge reduced to manslaughter, punishable by 10 to 15 years. Hernandez had faced a manslaughter charge in Sarpy County Court before the case was transferred to a military court.

An Air Force investigator who presided over Tuesday's hearing will report his findings to Offutt's 55th Wing commander, who will decide whether the evidence is sufficient for the case to proceed to a general court-martial.

Dieter testified that Garcia, of San Benito, Texas, had learned the game while deployed. He said Garcia told him the Marines play the game, pushing the bullet magazine in, but not all the way, so the gun won't fire.

Dieter, 23, said he had once seen Garcia point the gun at his own head and pull the trigger. He said Garcia sometimes used a dummy round, but he wasn't sure if he had been using it that night.

He said Garcia brought his gun to Dieter's apartment about 9:30 p.m., where the airmen were drinking beer, rum and mixed drinks, before they went to another Bellevue apartment where the shooting occurred.

Dr. David Jaskierny Jr., who performed the autopsy on Garcia, testified that his blood alcohol level was .219, nearly three times the legal limit.

Airman Robert Castillon, 21, testified that Garcia had put the gun under Castillon's chin, asked him to trust him and then pulled the trigger.

Defense attorney James Martin Davis asked why Castillon let Garcia do it.

“I trusted him,” Castillon said. “I believed he was a good person.”

Airman 1st Class Jason Mulherin, 25, said Garcia had pointed the gun at several of the airmen's heads and one's chest, asking if they trusted him. He said Garcia had pointed the gun at Hernandez's head and pulled the trigger.

Mulherin said he had heard of the game before that night but had not seen it played.

“It's common for people in the military to play dangerous games,” he said.

Contact the writer:

444-1077, joe.dejka@owh.com

pr_capone
04-14-2010, 06:39 AM
No.

I was trained better than to "play" with a loaded weapon.

Fucking morons.

bevischief
04-14-2010, 06:41 AM
No.

****ing morons.

This.

spanky 52
04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Nominee for a Darwin award. Some people are just stupid.

InChiefsHeaven
04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
When you were in, did you see this kind of shit? I mean, they article makes it sound almost common...

Radar Chief
04-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Nope. Never seen nor heard of that one.
And I hate to be “that guy” but, Darwin candidate.

pr_capone
04-14-2010, 06:48 AM
When you were in, did you see this kind of shit? I mean, they article makes it sound almost common...

Never once saw anything like that.

spanky 52
04-14-2010, 06:50 AM
I was in the Air Force in the early seventies, Security Police. Never saw anyone do anything like this. Once or twice a year you'd get a briefing on some dumb shit that was playing quick draw mcgraw and shoot himself in the foot or something but nothing like these dumb bastards.

Old Dog
04-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Did and knew of a lot of dumb "boys will be boys" shit, but this is a whole different level of stupid.

Frosty
04-14-2010, 06:57 AM
No, though I was just an avionics mechanic, not infantry, so not many of us carried weapons.

InChiefsHeaven
04-14-2010, 07:03 AM
In the game, the shooter apparently uses sleight of hand to make the gun appear loaded, but partially inserts the ammunition clip or a dummy round so the gun won't fire. Other military deaths have been linked to the game.

Dieter testified that Garcia, of San Benito, Texas, had learned the game while deployed. He said Garcia told him the Marines play the game, pushing the bullet magazine in, but not all the way, so the gun won't fire.

This is just mind bogglingly stupid. I mean, I saw the Deer Hunter...so I figure this shit might go on but only by the craziest of crazy bastards...

crazycoffey
04-14-2010, 07:13 AM
No.

Fucking morons.

this

Rain Man
04-14-2010, 07:49 AM
No, though I was just an avionics mechanic, not infantry, so not many of us carried weapons.

Did you ever stand in front of an F-15 jet engine and say, "Turn it on. Suck me into the engine."

I don't think I'd play the "Trust Me" game. I can't even do that trusting game where you fall backwards into the arms of a group of people. In any group of people, 15 percent will be jerks and 15 percent will be incompetent and 5 percent will have bad backs and 7 percent won't be paying attention when I start falling. That's 42 percent of my catchers right there, and that's not even counting the 50 percent who will try, but who catch like girls.

Rain Man
04-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Oh, and our local paper had an article about this "game" a couple of years ago when a local soldier died. It appears that it's not as rare as the stupidity would indicate.

Frosty
04-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Did you ever stand in front of an F-15 jet engine and say, "Turn it on. Suck me into the engine."

I worked on helicopters. Very dangerous if you weren't paying attention.

Phobia
04-14-2010, 08:21 AM
I did 5 years in the USMC in the early 90's and I've never encountered this "game". If I did, I would have definitely put a stop to it. We're all taught better weapons safety than that.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2010, 08:23 AM
I did 5 years in the USMC in the early 90's and I've never encountered this "game". If I did, I would have definitely put a stop to it. We're all taught better weapons safety than that.

No crazy shit when you were in desert storm?

Radar Chief
04-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Attached is a .gif of the HAWK missile launcher.
It uses hydraulics to swing several thousand pounds worth of missile, fuel and high explosive around so fast that if you blinked you’d miss it.
An RCU, Remote Control Unit, can be connected to the launcher to take over control from the PCP, Platoon Command Post. On the RCU are two dials, one for azimuth, which can spin it 360 Deg., and one for elevation, which can point it straight up.
I walked on to a tact site one day to find a crowd around the launcher, one soldier running the RCU and another riding the launcher like a mechanical bull. Kind of funny until you start considering the power of this thing and that the elevation section works off of the base like a pair of scissors so if someone’s foot got kicked back into the wrong place the launcher would crush if right off their leg.
Luckily no one got hurt badly but I got out of there before anyone did and I had to write a witness report.
So, I've seen some goofy shit but I've never even heard of this "trust game" until now.

Gonzo
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
I heard about this when it happened. (I live 10 blocks from the base.) Stupid, bored Airmen. That kids life is ruined, he'll be making small rocks from big ones for a long time at Leveanworth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
04-14-2010, 09:17 AM
No crazy shit when you were in desert storm?

Not like that. I had a hand grenade and some Iraqi ammo that probably wasn't incredibly safe but never pointing weapons at one another.

Saccopoo
04-14-2010, 09:22 AM
I was infantry. Guys did shit that surpassed this in terms of dumbassery. Now that I think back on it, our entire platoon was pretty damn lucky they didn't kill themselves all off.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I dont think you have to be in the armed forcces to do stoopid shit w/ firearms.

The Franchise
04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Apparently they'll let any fuck up into the service these days.

Frazod
04-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Apparently they'll let any fuck up into the service these days.

I've heard that gangs encourage members to join the military so they can learn about weapons/tactics and get combat experience. I'd think they'd typically go in the Army, though, not the Air Force.

I wonder if these guys were security forces? I'll have to ask my friend (major in the Air Force security) if he's heard anything about it.

The Franchise
04-14-2010, 09:48 AM
I've heard that gangs encourage members to join the military so they can learn about weapons/tactics and get combat experience. I'd think they'd typically go in the Army, though, not the Air Force.

I wonder if these guys were security forces? I'll have to ask my friend (major in the Air Force security) if he's heard anything about it.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that they were security forces. It sounds like something they would do off duty.

Warrior5
04-14-2010, 10:46 AM
no.

InChiefsHeaven
04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Attached is a .gif of the HAWK missile launcher.
It uses hydraulics to swing several thousand pounds worth of missile, fuel and high explosive around so fast that if you blinked you’d miss it.
An RCU, Remote Control Unit, can be connected to the launcher to take over control from the PCP, Platoon Command Post. On the RCU are two dials, one for azimuth, which can spin it 360 Deg., and one for elevation, which can point it straight up.
I walked on to a tact site one day to find a crowd around the launcher, one soldier running the RCU and another riding the launcher like a mechanical bull. Kind of funny until you start considering the power of this thing and that the elevation section works off of the base like a pair of scissors so if someone’s foot got kicked back into the wrong place the launcher would crush if right off their leg.
Luckily no one got hurt badly but I got out of there before anyone did and I had to write a witness report.
So, I've seen some goofy shit but I've never even heard of this "trust game" until now.

Kinda reminds me of:

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcW_Ygs6hm0"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcW_Ygs6hm0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

raybec 4
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
there are morons everywhere, the military has more than it's fair share.

38yrsfan
04-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Never did it, never saw it .... no way we put up with that kind of BS, guys like that never even get close to making the cut to serve with the pros I supported.

AND

We didn't play dangerous "games" either (though we did engage in high risk real life activities - climbing, gliding, etc.), there was enough of that around without going out looking for grief.

InChiefsHeaven
04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Never did it, never saw it .... no way we put up with that kind of BS, guys like that never even get close to making the cut to serve with the pros I supported.

AND

We didn't play dangerous "games" either (though we did engage in high risk real life activities - climbing, gliding, etc.), there was enough of that around without going out looking for grief.

Were you Air Force? Not that I suppose it matters, but these guys ain't exactly deployed to a dangerous war zone...although I guess at least one had been deployed according to the story...

Bowser
04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Christ, when I was in and someone got bored, we just threw punches at each other.

Darwinism at its finest with these dudes.

Cntrygal
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this.