PDA

View Full Version : Football Medical Marijuana and the NFL

Red Beans
04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Ok, so I had this question pop into my head recently and I wanted the Planet to weigh in on it. Here's the scenario:
A player who plays for, and is a legal resident of a state that allows the use of medical marijuana, ie; San Diego, Denver, Oakland, San Fran, etc, has chronic (no pun intended) pain issues. This player has had a knee surgery lets say and he decides that instead of an opiate based pain reliever, marijuana is as effective for him and doesn't leave him feeling like the pain meds do. So if said player gets popped for a drug test and comes up positive what happens? The Feds have elected not to prosecute the state based medical marijuana industry, so how does the NFL react. Your thoughts?

shitgoose
04-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Whether its legal or not it still violates the NFL substance abuse policy. Just like any other employer in either California or Colorado.

BigRichard
04-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Well considering it isn't even a drug that enhances the play of anyone I don't think it should be tested for at all but, that is my take. What will the NFL do? I think they have to be consistent across the board for all players. You can't suspend one player for it while not do anything to another. They won't care if it is legal in certain states.

Red Beans
04-14-2010, 07:35 AM
A guy's in the process of suing WalMart regarding them canning him for pot. He's got cancer. The outcome could cause some waves in those states.

Rain Man
04-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Here in Denver you don't need to have a reason. Or at least not a real reason. You just have to say something like, "My shoelaces are too tight and I need marijuana to help me deal with it" and the storefront dealers are cleared to give you whatever you want.

Red Beans
04-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Here in Denver you don't need to have a reason. Or at least not a real reason. You just have to say something like, "My shoelaces are too tight and I need marijuana to help me deal with it" and the storefront dealers are cleared to give you whatever you want.

Most Docs in those states will take your 200.00 and write you a script for whatever. "MARIJUANA-GOOD FOR WHAT AILS YA!"

I heard there are more dispensaries than Starbucks in Denver...

CoMoChief
04-14-2010, 08:23 AM
It's just like any job. It's the league's/company's discretion whether or not to mandate any marijuana use at all, or subject to drug tests etc.

Brock
04-14-2010, 08:27 AM

I'm going to start driving to Denver once a month.

go bo
04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Here in Denver you don't need to have a reason. Or at least not a real reason. You just have to say something like, "My shoelaces are too tight and I need marijuana to help me deal with it" and the storefront dealers are cleared to give you whatever you want.sounds good, but i don't wear shoes with laces... :huh: :huh: :huh:

seclark
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM

carpool?
sec

ForeverChiefs58
04-14-2010, 10:48 AM
A lot of the diet stuff that players like Bowe got busted for are legal over the counter GNC type stuff, they just can't use certain things the NFL says they can't.

raybec 4
04-14-2010, 10:48 AM
State athletic commissions still suspend fighters for testing positive even with a script. I'm sure the NFL will do the same with it's players.

Red Beans
04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
sounds good, but i don't wear shoes with laces... :huh: :huh: :huh:

Most hippies don't...:LOL:

booger
04-14-2010, 11:02 AM

carpool?
sec

just pick up a square bale and i'll pitch in for gas. Deal?

Saccopoo
04-14-2010, 11:12 AM
The use of marijuana is still illegal on a national level and they have jurisdiction over the states on the issue. It's a wait and see period right now in terms of the dispensing of the drug, the collection of the taxes, see how it's affecting the illegal importation of the drug, etc., from the national governments perspective. If they wanted to, the feds could pop in and arrest every single person involved with it on a state level.

HoneyBadger
04-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Then players would have an excuse to be a dumbass and do stupid shit

Brock
04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
The use of marijuana is still illegal on a national level and they have jurisdiction over the states on the issue. It's a wait and see period right now in terms of the dispensing of the drug, the collection of the taxes, see how it's affecting the illegal importation of the drug, etc., from the national governments perspective. If they wanted to, the feds could pop in and arrest every single person involved with it on a state level.

Captain Obvious is obvious.

ClevelandBronco
04-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Whether its legal or not it still violates the NFL substance abuse policy. Just like any other employer in either California or Colorado.

Exactly. An employer is under no obligation to allow the use of marijuana regardless of its legality.

DaFace
04-14-2010, 11:25 AM
There was an article in the paper here a while back that addressed the issue of employers conducting random drug tests with people who are legally allowed to use marijuana. If I recall the correctly, the article basically said that employers are allowed to set policies that go beyond the law and enforce them (e.g., you can't come to work drunk). Because of that, I'd imagine that the NFL could still enforce the policy if they wanted to.

Brock
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
There are many employers you can't even be a tobacco user with.